• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatdashing correctly: the advanced movement option

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
No offence but the evidence you provided is anything but solid. You even said yourself the measurements weren't accurate, and you don't have video evidence to back up your claims or even prove that you were doing each type of movement optimally. Not only that but some of the numbers are really fishy and make me question how accurate the start and stops to these times are, since you have walking in the first example at 4'97, and inking at 4'65" which doesn't sound right at all if you were inking optimally. And out of all the things wrong with these numbers the worst by far is having swimming in the third example not be even close to half the time of walking when they confirmed in the direct that swimming is double the speed of walking (with video evidence), and the third path being completely flat puts a nail in the coffin for me that these timings are pretty bogus.

I tried both options in the tutorial as well and actually felt like I was going faster when inking optimally, that is, aiming at the horizon line and not at the ground only for a few milliseconds (3-5 shots) would give enough ink to swim to the end of your range radius without interruption. So I think I'm actually on the side of optimal inking being faster now. (And for the record yes, my sdash looked the same and was going just as fast as the one in the source video at the beginning of this thread).

We still need to wait for someone to make actual video proof where every party can agree that the techniques are being done 100% optimally, before we can say which one is really faster.
yeah that's fair, it was just data i recorded with the stopwatch on my phone and i just want to be transparent about that. once someone uploads some proper timed video evidence we'll know for sure, but i think the data that i recorded is still something to at least take interest in; if not because it's some evidence to the useful applications of splatdashes, then to at least get something more accurate :p

i don't really care about being right or wrong, i just want everyone to come together and figure more things out about the execution and application of s-dashes and s-hops. the more we know, the better we can play.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
And I say if you really think Sdashes are faster you havent got regular movement down right. I say this because I look at the footage and I know I' m faster and more efficiënt then that. You probably ink your feet or something or don't ride the line all the way. I see a lot of footage online where people do both these things. Look at andre ś footage. He is NOT Sdashing He lays a small line and inks through it but even he doesn't squid far enough through the line.He stops before the end to shoot again. This is wasteful because you ink a small spot twice. (Yes I am saying I move faster then André inhis videoś)

He has Run Speed Up. Do you see the difference in how fast he's moving on foot?

Anyways, I'd say we do need video proof revealing on whether or not Splatdashing is faster, but in my honest experience, I think it is. I actually tried Splatdashing and then not Splatdashing, and compared the two on both Walleye Warehouse and Saltspray Rig. Only one time did someone get there at the same time as me (on Saltspray Rig) and after splatting him I went to his side of the lower floor to find that there were only little dots of ink on the ground, revealing he'd probably Splatdashed as well. It just felt faster to me, imo. Anyways we should leave this thread be until the game comes out.

Box

Pro Squid
I think the effectiveness of shooting/swimming vs splatdashing also depends on the weapon you're using. The junior doesn't project ink as far so you have to stop and shoot a lot more frequently. It's also not necessary to ink a full path. A few shots can create enough ink such that you can swim from puddle to puddle for a while without having to stop momentum by switching back. You can also jump at the end of your puddles to conserve some momentum when you switch back, the jump time usually being sufficient to shoot a few ink puddles ahead.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I think the effectiveness of shooting/swimming vs splatdashing also depends on the weapon you're using. The junior doesn't project ink as far so you have to stop and shoot a lot more frequently. It's also not necessary to ink a full path. A few shots can create enough ink such that you can swim from puddle to puddle for a while without having to stop momentum by switching back. You can also jump at the end of your puddles to conserve some momentum when you switch back, the jump time usually being sufficient to shoot a few ink puddles ahead.
that's a good point, but i used both the splattershot and the jr. in the testfire and both are very valid choices for splatdashing, going faster than spraying and swimming. weapons with slow rates of fire like the .52 gal and .96 gal will also be good contendors for splatdashes since they're so slow to spray ink around like that. i think that pretty much every weapon that can splatdash will be a good weapon to splatdash with.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
A very solid point. Again, however, we'll have to wait till the release of the game to find if this all holds true.

(not your point, your statement is fact, but the topic in general)

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
This really won't be a major factor in any game mode. Splat Zones you'll be focused on one area of the level and if you die you'll be swimming in your ink or super jumping to get back to the zone. In turf war you'll use this for what, the first 10 seconds and even then it's the same or slightly faster than normal movement. Rainmaker and Tower we don't know yet but I highly doubt it'll make a difference.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
This really won't be a major factor in any game mode. Splat Zones you'll be focused on one area of the level and if you die you'll be swimming in your ink or super jumping to get back to the zone. In turf war you'll use this for what, the first 10 seconds and even then it's the same or slightly faster than normal movement. Rainmaker and Tower we don't know yet but I highly doubt it'll make a difference.
It's useful to get to the middle in EVERY game mode (at the beginning). Also You can Splatdash in enemy ink, so there's another use.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
It's useful to get to the middle in EVERY game mode (at the beginning). Also You can Splatdash in enemy ink, so there's another use.
Already said it was useful for the first 10 seconds. Outside of that it's not optimal.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
alright, i took this another go in area #2 (the skate park with the slopes) of the tutorial since the recorded data in area #1 was misleading and inconclusive to an extent because of the botched swimming times.

i aligned myself along the slopes of the map because they're the only symmetrical places i could find in the area before reaching the point of no return; if you can find anything else that would help give us more conclusive data, please, do tell me before i move onto area #3 (the ufo.)

• 04.28 splatdashes (trial 1)
  • 04.67 splatdashes (trial 2)
  • 05.33 running and inking (trial 1)
  • 05.67 running and inking (trial 2)
  • 05.17 walking (trial 1)
  • 04.86 walking (trial 2)
  • 03.01 swimming (trial 1)
  • 02.81 swimming (trial 2)
for running and walking i just used the same area i used for running and inking trial #2

this seems to still align with the data i recorded earlier; swimming is the fastest overall, but splatdashes beat running and inking by a noticeable, if not particularly overwhelming margin. however i wish i could get some data on the differences between longer distances, since in area #1, splatdashing over longer distances was faster than just swimming - according to the numbers, but the numbers were demonstrably unreliable.

if anyone wants to test this out with me, feel free. especially if you have a capture card...

Last edited:

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Already said it was useful for the first 10 seconds. Outside of that it's not optimal.
it is definitely optimal outside that. you can only superjump to locations where your teammates are at, and splatdashes + splatterhops are the fastest known techniques for traversing the map.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
in EVERY game mode
This really won't be a major factor in any game mode. Splat Zones you'll be focused on one area of the level and if you die you'll be swimming in your ink or super jumping to get back to the zone. In turf war you'll use this for what, the first 10 seconds... Rainmaker and Tower we don't know yet but I highly doubt it'll make a difference.

it is definitely optimal outside that. you can only superjump to locations where your teammates are at, and splatdashes + splatterhops are the fastest known techniques for traversing the map.
I think he's implying that the ground is already covered by then, which is reasonable logic, and everyone knows swimming is faster/just as fast as splatdashing.

Snacks

Inkling
NNID
Snacks
  • 05.33 running and inking (trial 1)
  • 05.67 running and inking (trial 2)
  • 05.17 walking (trial 1)
  • 04.86 walking (trial 2)
You are definitely inking wrong because numbers like that should not be happening if you were doing it right. Are you... just shooting and walking to the end without going into squid form? Because that's the only way I can see numbers like that happening.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
You are definitely inking wrong because numbers like that should not be happening if you were doing it right. Are you... just shooting and walking to the end without going into squid form? Because that's the only way I can see numbers like that happening.
i am splatdashing optimally, as demonstrated in the video on the first page of the thread. for inking and swimming, i'm swimming up a trail of ink and shooting out more at the end, like what you're seen andre do in his gamexplain videos

you're forgetting that it takes a little bit to tap the start button on my phone, move my hand back to the controller, adjust the gamepad so i don't go veering off course because of the gyro, take it off again and stop the timer, aren't you? it takes about half a second, which is pretty reasonable. they're just approximations. if you think these numbers are so ludicrous, you can try it out yourself if you have the tutorial open on the demo, you'll get ones similar to my own.

Box

Pro Squid
I also don't understand how you managed to time shooting/swimming as slower than walking.

Edit: I think I may be confused about what you measured due to Snacks's response.

Last edited:

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I also don't understand how you managed to time shooting/swimming as slower than walking.
you're forgetting that it takes a little bit to tap the start button on my phone, move my hand back to the controller, adjust the gamepad so i don't go veering off course because of the gyro, take it off again and stop the timer, aren't you?
...you don't know how many times I've done this in the past week.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster

Edit: I think I may be confused about what you measured based on Snacks's response.
hmm... for example, this is how i've been running and inking for recording data

(sorry that it's at a funny angle, my tv is mounted on my wall and i can't use my hands to record while i play)

my guess is that i'm either doing this wrong (probably not the case,) i'm taking too long on the initial splat to get things going, or i'm too early to start the stopwatch or too late to stop it. this is sort of why i'm emphasizing that my data is approximations that you can get yourself if you try - because it's not wholly accurate. i'm done experimenting and recording unless anyone has a question and can't try it out for themselves because until someone with a capture card should really be doing this so we can get some accurate measurements, i'm just blowing hot air :oops:

i feel that the measurements i've taken are still evidence worth investigating about the time saved splatdashing, but take it with a grain of salt. or a whole salt shaker of it, to be more accurate...

we also have 6 more days until the game comes out and everyone can test it for themselves, without having to take someone's word for it.

Box

Pro Squid
I thought by "running and inking" you meant that literally. I believe you move slower while you're shooting than you do if you're just walking. I don't know what you're doing in that video but it doesn't resemble what I picture as walking while shooting or shooting/swimming.

If you really need to time something you can record yourself and then time the video.

Anyway, the entire situation changes when you have multiple players following each other. I'm imagining two players with splatershots shooting out and swimming in single file. When the inkling in front reaches the end of the ink in front, he stops to shoot further. This would mean each player would only have to stop to shoot half as often provided they can coordinate. I still suspect that splatdashing is slower than shooting/swimming, but each process becomes faster when you have multiple players moving in single file.

I'm more interested in what movement options are available when under fire. It seems like it can be tricky because you can quickly become surrounded in enemy ink which can prevent you from using squid form to escape.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I thought by "running and inking" you meant that literally. I believe you move slower while you're shooting than you do if you're just walking. I don't know what you're doing in that video but it doesn't resemble what I picture as walking while shooting or shooting/swimming.

I'm more interested in what movement options are available when under fire. It seems like it can be tricky because you can quickly become surrounded in enemy ink which can prevent you from using squid form to escape.
i'll work on that, but honestly i've looked enough like a ******* goofball today :p

and i'm interested in what you can do to escape combat scenarios as well, but you can do a complete 180 by moving backwards and tapping y to reset the camera (if you have a gyro) and sdash away. i used it during the testfire, and it's not concrete lab evidence that it'll be a good tech for running away, but i think it did well enough. you can also throw a bomb and submerge yourself in there, while surrounded by hostile ink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom