• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatdashing correctly: the advanced movement option

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Hey everybody!
Yes there was a thread that talked about splatdashing before, however people were getting extremely confused as to what splatdashing actually was and how it was faster than splatterhopping.
Here is a video of splatdashing being performed properly. I am going to also quote @Snacks 's description of it from the former thread because it was a great description and I am tired of writing it myself.

"When you swim out of your ink you continue your momentum for a short while, real splatdashing abuses this by timing the moment before momentum ends to turn into a human and shoot some ink to begin swimming again, to emulate the speed a squid would go if it was just swimming normally. It doesn't emulate that speed perfectly, but it's still pretty fast, much faster than any variant of a splatterhopping video has shown so far. "

How to perform:
To s-dash= shoot a paint by your feet (when starting the s-dash your feet need to start in the ink) -> squid (ZL) and keep holding that squid trigger -> swim outside of your paint (you will carry momentum) -> as you start losing momentum or slowing down , ZR and paint your feet
-> repeat the cycle.

-benefits= its easier to perform than splatterhopping, faster, allows for the opportunity to react to surroundings

Note: You may also perform it diagonal, so you could serpentine away from an opponent.

I will edit the OP if I feel I have forgotten anything
edit 1: grammar and made message clearer
edit 2:
I was actually going to post about this, but I only timed the difference betw. s-hop and s-dash the previous time I was in tutorial mode. [During the last Testfire] I timed s-dash against regular well-timed making a path and then swimming through it. I had myself performing the two movements and my bro timing with his phone so although this of course creates some error we were well-coordinated and so I am going to say we were within +- 0.3 seconds of what it actually was.
*Note: when performing the regular trail ->squid I did not jump. Just trail -> as far as I could go -> trail -> repeat

We timed the two many times in two different scenarios: no ink on ground & enemy ink on the ground.
For no ink on the ground the times were basically even. It all depended on how well you were timing either one.

For enemy ink on the ground. The times seemed to favor s-dash, but tbh I am not sure why. More professional timing will probably confirm that they are extremely similar.

However what I am certain is that s-dash is your best escape option when surrounded in enemy ink and an enemy is firing at you. Also when fighting an enemy in a location where few ink has been laid (the very beginning of match, upon rollout). You start moving as fast as you can tilt at 45 degrees and shoot (so very fast). You wouldn't have time to make a trail then swim if the opponent was shooting at you. In the scenario when you and opponent have limited ink anywhere, I s-dash to the side -> shoot ->s-dash to the side -> shoot (can also do it diagonally towards opponent).
So yep I would say the use of s-dash is fairly limited in use but calling it useless is a bit much. Or maybe someone has optimized s-dash better than I was able to figure out? id, we don't have the game yet lol.

Last edited:

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
-It's the fastest way of moving so its the best way to dash to the center and fight for that area. In crossfire so many times I was able to completely get the entire center of Walleye Warehouse before either my squad or enemy squad got there (some of em were even trying to s-hop). It will most likely be used for squads (you get 2 ppl to s-dash for center and 2 ppl to make the path to the center so that the area in front of your base does indeed get covered.
-When surrounded in enemy ink, your only chance for escape would be to s-dash.

I completely understand that people need to try this for themselves. Definately give it a try in tutorial mode this saturday at the Crossfire (enter tutorial mode before the servers close and you can stay there for as long as you want). I was in there with @WydrA testing any and everything I could think of for 3 hours and s-dash was definitely something I felt was the most useful.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
And you can try it games as well! Once you figure out how to do it putting it to use in your games is the easiest way of experiencing its usefulness first hand, pi

Also glad to see you liked my idea and got on it so quickly. Hopefully we can clear up some of the confusion around the tech from now.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
In the old thread. So many people were getting confused that I didn't want to bother explaining it to every single one. Which is why I thought it was definitely for the best

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I just don't feel like there are very many situations where I would want to use this technique. I'll save me final judgement until I can test it out and compare with other options myself.
getting from point a to point b as optimally as possible is going to be crucial for this game as whichever team has control of the map, both in terms of literal ink coverage and in a more meta-gamey sense, is going to be dictating the match. maybe you don't think theres much reason to use sdashes, but once you get into higher skilled play, you're probably going to be seeing it a lot unless a more fast and optimized movement tech is found

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
In the old thread. So many people were getting confused that I didn't want to bother explaining it to every single one. Which is why I thought it was definitely for the best
I really don't understand why they both aren't very confusing concepts.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i said this last thread, but our current knowledge of movement tech is that optimized sdashes are faster than s-hops, but s-hops are more widely applicable since you're jumping in the air, and sdashes are the dominant option for when you're on flat ground and have a lot of breathing room. for example, it's easier to s-hop around a corner than it is to s-dash around one because of how air control works in this game, and s-hopping is actually faster up slopes (and maybe down them as well?) there's a lot of unknown potential in s-hopping we're not going to be aware of for a while until we get our hands on the game. and since you can sdash into an s-hop and s-hop into an sdash, there's a lot of synergy between the techniques and the game isn't going to make us pick between one or the other. players who successfully utilize both of these techniques to optimize their movement are going to really take control of their matches. for example, let's theorycraft on the fastest way to get from spawn to the initial firefight on saltspray:

sdash from spawn and either sdash up the sniper alley and sdash around the corner and up to the sniper tower and down onto square, or s-hop onto the snakes, around the corner onto slope and s-hop up through that way. the latter option is going to take you to the firefight faster, but the first option is gong to take you to square, where you can s-hop up north-slope and onto to north, and have more area to ink. theoretically, if you want to take south, you could sdash down spawn and to the south alley, and s-hop around the corner and down onto the ground. which rollout is going to be best for saltspray is up in the air (my guess would be the first two examples since north is so predominant on this map,) but afaik these would be your fastest rollouts and are a good example of how you can mesh the two techs together

Last edited:

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
i said this last thread, but our current knowledge of movement tech is that optimized sdashes are faster than s-hops, but s-hops are more widely applicable since you're jumping in the air. for example, it's easier to s-hop around a corner than it is to s-dash around one because of how air control works in this game, and s-hopping is actually faster up slopes (and maybe down them as well?) there's a lot of unknown potential in s-hopping we're not going to be aware of for a while until we get our hands on the game. and since you can sdash into an s-hop and s-hop into an sdash, there's a lot of synergy between the techniques and the game isn't going to make us pick between one or the other. players who successfully utilize both of these techniques to optimize their movement are going to really take control of their matches. for example, let's theorycraft on the fastest way to get from spawn to the initial firefight on saltspray:

sdash from spawn and either sdash up the sniper alley and sdash around the corner and up to the sniper tower and down onto square, or s-hop onto the snakes, around the corner onto slope and s-hop up through that way. the latter option is going to take you to the firefight faster, but the first option is gong to take you to square, where you have access to north, and more area to ink. theoretically, if you want to take south, you could sdash down spawn and to the south alley, and s-hop around the corner and down onto the ground. which rollout is going to be best for saltspray is up in the air (my guess would be the first two examples since north is so predominant on this map,) but afaik these would be your fastest rollouts and are a good example of how you can mesh the two techs together
I didn't even know they had maps that were already labeled up like this. I have to see the rest of them. Also nice strats!

Smooth Criminal

Full Squid
Call it what you like, but...

I really feel like this is more of an extension of the game's natural movement mechanics. They even mentioned in the Splatoon Direct and the tutorial that your momentum carries over from Squid to Kid.

Smooth Criminal

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Call it what you like, but...

I really feel like this is more of an extension of the game's natural movement mechanics. They even mentioned in the Splatoon Direct and the tutorial that your momentum carries over from Squid to Kid.

Smooth Criminal
you know, even if it was deliberately placed in the game, that doesn't invalidate its status as a technique to be used by serious players

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
...but I wasn't arguing that.

Smooth Criminal
you were arguing that this is more of an extension of the game's physics and mechanics than an actual technique, but the definition of a technique is really ambiguous, so i think it still applies. it's really just a corner case of the game

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I only see this good enough as long as the enemy doesn't see you, otherwise they wil know where you are going and intercept if possible without you knowing it.
Any ability that allows you to detect enemies will most certainly be able to halt this.

I see very little use of this for myself!

Smooth Criminal

Full Squid
you were arguing that this is more of an extension of the game's physics and mechanics than an actual technique, but the definition of a technique is really ambiguous, so i think it still applies. it's really just a corner case of the game
Latter definitions of technique refer more to methodology, which was (ultimately) what I was getting at. No ambiguity there. I firmly believe that it's not something on par with **** like exploits, which is something that a lot of people are construing this ("techniques") with.

Either way, it's a cool little nuanced thing. Hyped for building on it.

Smooth Criminal

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I can see a definite use for this. Getting around apways seems to be the issue with me. During the Testfire, my team would cover one area only to see the otber team have half the map covered so we'd go to cover it then lose the area we JUST inked. I can see s-dashing being very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom