• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest World Premiere Discussion

Cake or Ice Cream? Rock or Pop?

• Cake/Rock

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Ice Cream/Pop

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Cake/Pop

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Ice Cream/Rock

Votes: 27 50.0%
  • Cake/Undecided

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Ice Cream/Undecided

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Undecided/Rock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided/Pop

• Totally/Undecided

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintlock

Inkling
NNID
SW567472421519
Wow~ didn't think there'd be that much of a popularity difference!

NoE and NoA regions I went against the desire in my... heart and chose Team Cake to try out squad play. NoA region I met so~ few chargers in both solo and team queues. Also in the NoA region I didn't face that many skilled or tough opponents in either queue that weren't manageable at my level. But maybe my personal power rating wasn't high enough instead or Team Ice Cream was busy fighting each other. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And until I see splatling hug 2.0 my favourite win animation goes to charger inkling girl. Current favourite loss animation goes to the splattershot inkling girl's pout.
In my 90 minutes of Splatfest, I actually faced off against a Charger fairly often. I'd say I had seen a charger every other match.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
In my 90 minutes of Splatfest, I actually faced off against a Charger fairly often. I'd say I had seen a charger every other match.
Really? You should've told them to kick rocks and come fight/join me!

Was it during solo queue with Moray Towers on the playlist? I figured that'd eventually have to bring some of the chargers out of hiding.

Flintlock

Inkling
NNID
SW567472421519
Really? You should've told them to kick rocks and come fight/join me!

Was it during solo queue with Moray Towers on the playlist? I figured that'd eventually have to bring some of the chargers out of hiding.
I was only going during the first 90 minutes of the splatfest (6:00-7:30), perhaps what I had seen is only anecdotal but I did see a decent amount of chargers.
(I was playing solo, if that means anything)

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I can attest to seeing very few charger users on either side throughout the day, mostly in the second rotation. Those that existed were pretty damn good, however, being able to snipe us off of the Towers' Ink Rails. And spawntrap us somewhat with their Stingrays.

tollock

Inkster Jr.
To be honest, I'm quite bummed out about Europe apparently losing its region status in the new Splatfests. Why don't we get our own results anymore?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
To be honest, I'm quite bummed out about Europe apparently losing its region status in the new Splatfests. Why don't we get our own results anymore?
You realize this is just the first splatfest, right? The fact that they did it that way this time doesn't mean it's going to be that way every time, considering there was a separate demo and matchmaking for EU. Relax.

Marxally

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Marxally
I am from Europe, and I played the Japanese and the European Splatfest. Had a lot of fun playing, and I am so happy the game matches you with nearby people, I don't remember playing with a japanese player. Internet in my dad's house isn't that great (10MB) but the session was perfect with zero lag, and I just got one connection error, but it might've been because I pressed the Home button and I stayed there for some seconds.

In terms of weapons, I had a lot of fun with all of them, altough I didn't play the Charger that much... Dualies are awesome, and their special weapon is amazing! I can't wait to grab the game when it launches next friday, until then I'll play some PC games and some Splatoon 1 matches casually.

Stay fresh!

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
It took me a while to get used to having the joycon seperated, but i must say, it's pretty nice. It's like having a mouse in your right hand, and if you're transitioning from pc games, it's probably a good idea to use that control scheme. As for maps, i don't really like Mainstage. It's cluttered with useless objects and stuff, which look cool, but interrupt gameplay flow. There is also only one viable flank path, and it's a weak grate one at that. So that's probably my least favorite map that I've played. I mostly used the Dualies and Charger, and to be honest, the Sting ray is quite underwhelming, but i expect it to be used a lot in tower control. I ended up getting into a game with a pretty big streamer, so I just had to capture my match with him because i got a pretty nice triple -w -. Unlike most people, I really enjoy Humpback, it feels a bit like a spiritual successor of Blackbelly, but has its own flow as well. t has a nice defined mid, and i like how it goes up and down in levels, and it does it well (Unlike Old Moray)
I had a lot of fun on Inkblot with a charger, because there are so many good viewpoints on that map, it's a really nice one. Definitely my favorite of the new ones. As for Moray, I'm not saying it's a masterpiece of map design, but I must say the ink rails and expanded ground space makes it feel much better and open instead of how it felt before, open for snipers but really CQC for everyone else. It's tolerable. As for dualies, I feel that dodge rolling is essential for combat, because afterwards, it hold you in place, but makes your two crosshairs into one and essentially "doubles" your fire rate. Dualies will be very good for those who know h ow to use them, not so much for those who don't.

As for specials, Tentamissles have a lead immediately, but this is to be expected, as it kinda aims it self. I do feel as tho you will have to end up "flicking" your aim with them however, because otherwise you get that ring around you which is a telltale sign you're being targeted. Inkjet will be very good as well with a coordinated team, because they will only be able to focus on one thing. As I said earlier, Stingray is very underwhelming, and I expect it to get a bunch of buffs in the future. And finally Splashdown, I feel it'll be used more as a spacing tool, like "Get out of my face" on tower control and the like, but that super jump combo with it is really potent and It'll be used. Overall, all specials are nice and balanced except for Stingray imo, which'll receive some buffs.

That's my match I played with a few of my buddies if anyone is interested. Uhh, thanks for reading my wall of text I guess :v Sorry for the complete lack of editing on the video :v i only really made it for myself and my friends

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I can attest to chargers being the least common weapon, which does not surprise me. Even after all the time I've put into the game I can barely use the blasted things. Granted I haven't put much time into them because I'm lazy interested in many other weapons~

For the chargers I did encounter, they were either people who knew how to use one, or new players, and wow were the vibes different between the two. At least it was nice to fight some chargers who don't know what they are doing for once. In Splatoon 1 I dread coming across any enemy charger, the only ones who don't do a good job usually wind up on my team for some reason. ;) ................. (ꐦ°᷄д°᷅)

Even the new players somehow knew chargers were good for the Moray rotation. I saw a lot more when it was up for battles. I knew they were new squids because I could hang out in the center and not get blasted back to spawn very easily. Though the one time I encountered a Japanese player with a charger on Moray, it was the only time I felt true fear in both fests I played. They did not disappoint...

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
Made it to Max Rank but man it was fun minus the people not covering anything in turf war lol. It made more frustrating than it should of been.

Cyrus Dark

Full Squid
NNID
Geprodis
Made it to Max Rank but man it was fun minus the people not covering anything in turf war lol. It made more frustrating than it should of been.
I was using roller so I made sure to ink the base and cover territory - it is the point of turf war. Very satisfying getting a narrow win when the other team had some ace killers on their side.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I like Inkopolis Square, but a part of me will always miss the open space and fireworks in Inkopolis Plaza.

However I can still found some really fun, unintentional character moments in this new square during the testfest.

*sniffle* I know! I want cake and Marina ice cream too!

Go on! Ask her out, bruh!

The twins always choose opposing teams, but they always rock out together.

One of the few coordinated solo teams I got in an uncoordinated solo queue.

Probably the only lost my NoA team took.

But we ended on a high note!

Then chilled with the opposing team in the square.

As for video cameo appearances, so far there's at least Zack Scott (14:44 & 16:44)... who sent me into a Wolverine style beserker rage bloodlust because... well, I'm not a fan and his team tried to control MY inkrails—they all belong to ME!! So I did my best to physically hit everyone with the roller. Repeatedly.

Last edited:

xxTragic

Inkling
NNID
ryanehrmantraut
I enjoyed this Splatfest very much! Although I wish more people chose Cake. I can't count how many times I had to battle team Ice Cream instead! Darn those mirror matches!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ahahahaha well done, I love the text you added! That match against Zack was magical :D

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Was surprised the win ratio was so close. I won easily 80% of my matches on Team Cake, and I'm not all that great at Splatoon 1. I only played for about the first 1:45, but made it to Champion 35 or so, about 1850 Power.

Well, that will continue my Splatfest results run from the first game. I was on the winning team I think only 3 times or so.

Cyrus Dark

Full Squid
NNID
Geprodis
Was surprised the win ratio was so close. I won easily 80% of my matches on Team Cake, and I'm not all that great at Splatoon 1. I only played for about the first 1:45, but made it to Champion 35 or so, about 1850 Power.

Well, that will continue my Splatfest results run from the first game. I was on the winning team I think only 3 times or so.
I was also on the losing team this time on team Cake and also most of the Splatoon 1 Splatfests. I believe team cat would have beat team dog but during that first Splatfest popularity counted for more (they later altered popularity to not be as important) and that put team dog over the edge. There was at least one Splatfest where my teams just crushed so badly I actually felt sorry for the other team..and then they ended up winning! :mad:

For Splatoon 2, I am not going to get bummed if my team loses. You can't do anything about it other than your small part to help win your matches.

One silver lining to us Team Cakers losing this Splatfest: there were no rewards - so didn't really lose anything. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom