Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
Trislosher out-ranging most weapons with no fall-off always being a no-aim 2HKO and one of the fastest TTK if you land a Splat Bomb is one balance I'd like to see changed. I would also like to see less Aerosprays in Ranked. It's infuriating being on a team with Dualie/Aero/Aero/Aero vs N-Zap/Tri/Tri/Tri.

Enough that I've taken Object Shredder because Ink Armor is on every set.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There are a couple OOB's that could be fixed

And one particular Rainmaker OOB that needs to be fixed.

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
Well I've changed my Avatar now. Anyone who knows the source wins +15 Internets for obscure anime.

Anyway, I would like to see a bit snappier decision making when it comes to balance. As somone who has participated in numerous online games for decades now I know that Balance is a very finnicky issue that Devs are never likely to get right. (It's impossible to test every interaction ever) At this point, I'd like to just see quick nerfs to obviously powerful weapons just to force a meta shift. I'm tired of buckets. Bring on the Dualies.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
See for yourself! Once you've done League 9 or more times, going to past records crashes to the home menu. It's an enormous glitch and they've known about it since near launch.
Can confirm. It's real annoying.

o_O No kidding...I've been afraid to do League cos im worried it'll be 2intense4me, but that's very weird to see there's a glitch like that still lingering around. They were very quick to patch out the 99 ticket exploit.
I wouldn't worry too much about league being too intense -- especially when you do pairs. I can tell you many of the people I played with or against in pairs certainly didn't worry about such things as, "Am I any good at this game?" or "Do I know the very basics of how to play this mode?"

That's the worst part about pairs league. In ranked, if you are an A rank, you're going to be in a game with people all around that rank and with that skill level. In pairs league, it could be anyone as long as they hit B- in SOME mode. So they're not adjusting AS much for actual skill level, and that can be bad at times. The worst teammates I've seen are in splat zones (my wife suspects it's because that's the entry level/least intimidating ranked mode). Less common in tower and RM, honestly.

Team league can get frustrating at times, though. That's especially true if you're like my buds and me, and you aren't super interested in doing voice chat. You can get beat by less individually talented teams who definitely voice chat and definitely definitely practice together. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's the one place where a casual-competitive approach to the game has failed me. And it only gets worse when enterprising teams exploit a team-wide gimmick that wouldn't be hard to beat if you got a second shot at them.

I know it sounds like I'm talking you out of league here, but that's the worst it gets... and it isn't even until you see teams around 2000+ power level that it comes into play as an issue. Even then, it's more of a minor issue than a major one.

So those are the only drawbacks to league. In pairs, you may get clueless teammates. In team, you might get overly prepared teammates, but neither of those situations are particularly too much to overlook.

Remember, as well, that league isn't ranked -- you lose your power level in league if you lose, but it's only for the two hour map/mode rotation. After that, everyone is back to zero. No lasting ramifications, so in that respect, league is actually less intense and more refreshing.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Well, I was gonna say that the update timing in Splatoon 1 was roughly similar to what we have now so far as weapons are concerned, but it turns out that's not entirely true. Back then you'd get them every couple days or so, sometimes getting two new weapons at once.

Thus, all I can say is, patience is a virtue. Best to just see how it goes from here.

And while I'm here... is Sub Ink Saver still as useless as it was before?
If you ****ers are gonna start a ****show at least let me know so I can get my two cents in
It wasn't useless before, enough Ink Saver Sub could allow 3 consecutive Burst bombs to be thrown and 2 consecutive Splat/Suction bombs, and it lets you shoot your main weapon for longer than Ink Saver Main would after using your sub weapon. All this remains true, though strangely you now need atleast 7 subs of Ink Saver Sub to get triple Burst bombs instead of 6.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Well guys, I think it's time.

I've set up my Switch and my account, so I guess I'll start sending you guys friend requests even though I don't have any games yet. Regardless, I should probably do it before I forget so I'm starting now. And just so everyone knows it's me, my Switch account is ROBnWatch. I'll be going through everyone who has already asked to be my friend, and if you haven't already asked and want to be my friend, well my Switch FC is under my avatar now, so feel free to send one. Just let me know it's you.

Last edited:

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Well guys, I think it's time.

I've set up my Switch and my account, so I guess I'll start sending you guys friend requests even though I don't have any games yet. Regardless, I should probably do it before I forget so I'm starting now. And just so everyone knows it's me, my Switch account is ROBnWatch. I'll be going through everyone who has already asked to be my friend, and if you haven't already asked and want to be my friend, well my Switch FC is under my avatar now, so feel free to send one. Just let me know it's you.
Nice! I'll be sure to add/accept your request when I'm able.

Also...check out this fresh artwork done for Japan's Splatoon Koshien:

shudder

Senior Squid
the game's very low tickrate, if anything. It causes a lot of problems. Specifically rapid fire hits not registering when they need to, resulting in a LOT more trades or even splats getting outright denied when they should've gotten splatted. Also Ink Armor is EXTREMELY powerful because the game literally can not register the hits fast enough, resulting in Ink Armor blocking potentially 100+ damage before actually breaking. You can see this is things like tournaments where 1-3 armor users are extremely common, for example. Sting Ray also has an issue where the game can't register all the hits fast enough, making the special feel MUCH weaker than it should because it requires a lot more hitmarkers than it normally would.
This definitely. The low tick rate I think is causing a lot of strange things in the game, it's making for unpredictable and inconsistent results in 1v1 battles. I've used splash, a rapid fire weapon with object shredder and it does nothing at times against ink armor. It's more like welp i'm screwed. Not sure if that's just a tick rate issue.

As for the updates, not a fan at this point, it's getting tedious with how slow the trickle of updates have been. It's basically one returning weapon a week, very lame. I'm not saying Nintendo needs to do a huge update now, but they should increase the weapons to two a week or something because a year of updates is 52 weeks, that doesn't really work especially with other updates like new maps.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
This definitely. The low tick rate I think is causing a lot of strange things in the game, it's making for unpredictable and inconsistent results in 1v1 battles. I've used splash, a rapid fire weapon with object shredder and it does nothing at times against ink armor. It's more like welp i'm screwed. Not sure if that's just a tick rate issue.

As for the updates, not a fan at this point, it's getting tedious with how slow the trickle of updates have been. It's basically one returning weapon a week, very lame. I'm not saying Nintendo needs to do a huge update now, but they should increase the weapons to two a week or something because a year of updates is 52 weeks, that doesn't really work especially with other updates like new maps.
It's such a bad feel when you fight Ink Armor with rapid fire weapons. It's like I should just surrender at that point.

100% agreed on all that update talk. I'm not asking for an August 2015-tier update right now, that can come later, but speeding up the trickle even just a bit by adding 2 weapons a week is something they REALLY should do imo.
Data mining has shown that 45 weapons have been revealed, about 4-6 multiplayer maps are in development, 2 Salmon Run maps are in development, and many more weapons are currently incomplete but are in the process of being created. and this is without knowing about all the weapons and maps that can't be datamined at the moment.
The truth is, they really could release 2 weapons a week, and then release a single map every now and then without new weapons and still meet the 1 year of updates quota they created for themselves. The "1 year of free updates!" is sorta brought down by the fact that we get a get a single weapon that more often than not already existed in the first game.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If we're talking fixes, then the main thing that needs changing is either the Ink Armor or the Bomb Launcher. The former is pretty easy, just lower the extra health such that a single hit is all that it protects you from; the latter could do with having a shorter duration.

The update pace does make me wonder a bit if they're considering fewer-yet-major updates this time around, akin to the Sheldon's Picks series or even the fabled August Update. The schedule we have now would thus just be small bites to satiate us in the interim.

and it lets you shoot your main weapon for longer than Ink Saver Main would after using your sub weapon.
Ah, see, I didn't know about that bit. That'll come in handy once I start putting together actual gear combos.

But when I said useless, I meant that you had to have so much of it in order to get those results, and as such would take up gear slots that could've had something more useful in them (say, Damage Up or one of the movement abilities).

I guess the real question would be if the returning abilities have had any major overhauls to them, they way Quick Respawn does.

BEASTMODE 110%

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-4434-8987-9710
Bro I agree with everything u said need advice from u pls I need advice for a good weapon on Splatoon 2 I thought u might know seeing as to how u are good at it I'm only a starter for this forum and Splatoon 2 so plz like me and hopefully like me pls? Well if u can do that and give me some advice that would be great thx

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I guess the real question would be if the returning abilities have had any major overhauls to them, they way Quick Respawn does.
Thankfully no (((reworks))) aka butchering like QR got. Run speed got hard nerfed this time around, but still functions the exact same.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
That Inkstorm tournament was a blast to watch, but strangely the main thing I'm wondering after watching it is if the players are using the Nintendo online app to voice chat. Somehow I highly doubt it lel. Also not surprised by those team comps, ink armor.weapons, Splattershots, Rapid Blasters, and seldom anything else, but eh most competitive games suffer from a lack of diversity.

If we're talking fixes, then the main thing that needs changing is either the Ink Armor or the Bomb Launcher. The former is pretty easy, just lower the extra health such that a single hit is all that it protects you from; the latter could do with having a shorter duration.

The update pace does make me wonder a bit if they're considering fewer-yet-major updates this time around, akin to the Sheldon's Picks series or even the fabled August Update. The schedule we have now would thus just be small bites to satiate us in the interim.

Ah, see, I didn't know about that bit. That'll come in handy once I start putting together actual gear combos.

But when I said useless, I meant that you had to have so much of it in order to get those results, and as such would take up gear slots that could've had something more useful in them (say, Damage Up or one of the movement abilities).

The most frequent use being an extra burst bomb took 6 subs, leaving plenty of room for other abilitys. I'm surprised you haven't seen these builds for yourself with how common they were in Splatoon 1. The double bomb thing is more niche though, as most people prefered to solely use Ink Recovery to spam bombs frequently.

Aside from the clear changes like Stealth Jump n Haunt, Swim Speed and Ink Recovery have also been nerfed having their effectiveness slighty reduced (though the latter now works while in Inkling form). I also wonder if Haunt, Last Ditch Effort, and Comeback retained their buffs from the ability update way back in early 2016.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Also not surprised by those team comps, ink armor.weapons, Splattershots, Rapid Blasters, and seldom anything else, but eh most competitive games suffer from a lack of diversity.
So the team comps were just N-Zap 85, Tentatek Splattershot, Splattershot, Rapid Blaster, Tri-Slosher, MAYBE Splattershot Pro? If watching some tournaments on DUDE's channel were any indication, this meta is super boring, lol.

FGPackers

Inkster Jr.
So the team comps were just N-Zap 85, Tentatek Splattershot, Splattershot, Rapid Blaster, Tri-Slosher, MAYBE Splattershot Pro? If watching some tournaments on DUDE's channel were any indication, this meta is super boring, lol.
Yeah, kind of. Only exceptions can be eventually snipers or non rapid blasters

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Just tested and yes Comeback still has essentially a main of Special Charge Up as part of it's temporary boost. To figure that out I hopped into a turf war, walked towards the enemy team without painting at all, and after they splatted me charged up my special. My point score once fully charged was below the normal 180 requirement (I believe 164-166 to be exact), thus confirming Comeback did indeed retain it's buff!

Hey atleast it's still better than Splatoon 1's quick respawn-stealth jump meta, I think, maybe!?

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Yeah beakons were really fun in splat 1. In turf war and splatzones in camp triggerfish my team could often lock down the center of the map because I could jump back and forth across the gap with beakons, in places the enemy team had trouble getting to.

Also yeah, beakons were great on the custom e-liter (especially with the kraken, because you could jump up back to your perch when you finished your assault). I'm hoping for an eliter with sprinkler or suction bombs.

Honestly I think sturgeon shipyard is the most splatoon-1-ish of the new maps. It offers a decent amount of cover while still having some open areas, and it also has relatively safe side-passageways to mid. I've definitely found good use for sprinklers and beakons there (especially that pendulum lol).
Yeah that's just how I used CEliter in S1. It was a blast. Then they nerfed the partial charge and I went back to scopes, and started playing less aggro-eliter. I've been playing scopeless again so far in S2 (oddly I like the scope on the splatterscope but not sure about eliter) and I've been doing really good with it again. The stored charge helps it, and without partial charges, scopeless seems better for CQC so far. AFAIK there's no range advantage on scopes anymore? So it really kills a big reason to go with scope. You get scope peeking which is nice, but having to zoom all the way in can be annoying. You get more kills, but I think it might be less effective. And I'm back to 10+ kills with eliters in TC so I'm feeling the charger vibe again.

Without inkstrike, I fear what beakons can do in leagues/tournaments
(I suppose sttingray has a use if you know exactly where to aim based on beakons' location on the X map...)
I don't know, I think they'll do nothing. They take so long to jump to with the motion map cursor. I've seen mroe and more squids using them, and I've seen my teams ignore them, but with the smaller maps all they do is bring you blindly closer to danger. They seem most effective on the old maps, but even there, I've noticed they're really kind of ineffective (unless my incompetent teams ignore them forever and ever right next to the zone... :p )

@Ansible
Charge roll is so ridiculous on the squiffer, though a bug it fits how the squifer style, was barrel rolling out of shots and sniping people up close....
Also squiffer still at the bottom of the range goo tuber has less than a quarter of a boost in range,

Overall I do feel mobility and redrawn punisher are great on the squiffer, making you hard to kill, but a priority unless you want to wait the extra spawn time.
Just keep in mind not to get too aggro or else you will have to deal with no way out due to it's support based kit
How exactly does one "charge roll"? Is it just jump/swim to the side real quick? I've been loving Squiffer overall. At least in TW. In ranked, I can't get myself to switch out my eliter/octo for tc/rm. Those are too useful in too many roles. Still don't have a standard in Zones though. Sploosh has always been my main zones wep but in these new maps....sploosh hasn't been cutting it, especially raceway and musselforge. I haven't done much ranked. Got everything up to B- then stopped. Then made an alt and on all three modes I shot from C- to B- all at once (skipping over C and C+). Then went back to my main and played B- Zones (my best mode!) and we lost 10/13 games.....within 15 seconds as a total 0-100 shutout. (these are the squids that ignored beacons literally on the border of the zone itself....) I switched from sploosh to flingza....no... the long windup is too slow when the team is always missing. I realized they were never inking and therefore never winning, so I switch to aerospray....which interestingly, aero no seems to be in S2 what sploosh was in s1. Sploosh doesn't handle the new tick rate well, so I may have to trade my sploosh for an aero (funny that's what I started with. Aero viable in ranked is just too funny!) . Then I realized they were killing more than me but their kills were all trades, so we were losing. So I switched to Squiffer. Bad move....we had no turf to move in again, and squiffer needs competent inkers to move. So 3 cracks in the silly b- glass and ready to go back to the C', I finally went meta, broke down, went to Sheldon's shop and finally bought the little green murder bucket my opponents kept wielding. Won every game after. I haven't even TOUCHED a trislosher since December '15. I bought it, took it to ranked, and won non stop. That thing is absurdly OP. Especially zones.

Things went a lot better in TC with eliter where buckets have less sway.

Yeah, just a curious aside: why are there so many trans gender posts on splatoon2 anyways?

I don't follow news much, so it's very out of the blue for me,
and I haven't a clue as to how it's related to splatoon .-. (but I suppose this is memeboard with game included, so I guess no one needs any reason to post anything )
I really don't get where that whole thing came from....it's kind of weird. It's the first time I've seen a political movement in Splatoon's 'verse. It just showed up one day after one day of "I wish x was real" which was also weirder than usual, but I'm not sure how or why it came to be. It seems very out of place. There's nothing "bad" about it, but it seems out of place in the game. (And yes, it's political, as a pre-emptive response to all the "love is not politics" Sverse posts.....no it isn't, and gender isn't, but advocating for something is politics by definition. Being trans isn't politics. Telling someone you're trans isn't politics. Advocating in support of trans is politics. Which is fine....but awkward inside a video game about squids shooting water pistols.) Though this doesn't seem quite like advocacy and more like....a meme that everyone is missing the joke on? I have a feeling it started on a play of changing from squids to kids (trans) and then someone saw it and took it seriously and thought it was actually about genders, and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon to support the political feel-good cause du jour. Of course some animals are naturally gender-shifters......but squids aren't one of them, so that doesn't really tie in either.

My only theory is that it was originally a pun about squid-kids shifting, and somehow everyone looking to be part of a cause missed the joke and turned it into an Inkopolis political soapbox?

That's my head-canon and I'm sticking with it!

I hear ya, I'm just stockpiling money for future projects. I wonder what the ARMS playerbase is like now, Splatoon has to have taken a bite out of it.
ARMS has thinned out a lot, at least in the West, so I'm seeing a LOT more Japanese players there. And they're REALLY good. I dropped into party mode a few times recently and was expecting a fun casual brawl, and I got decimated by players. Though in Skill shot I pwned little Tournament-san. Revenge was nice :)

That's the worst part about pairs league. In ranked, if you are an A rank, you're going to be in a game with people all around that rank and with that skill level. In pairs league, it could be anyone as long as they hit B- in SOME mode. So they're not adjusting AS much for actual skill level, and that can be bad at times. The worst teammates I've seen are in splat zones (my wife suspects it's because that's the entry level/least intimidating ranked mode). Less common in tower and RM, honestly.
In S1 RM was the worst of the modes for getting noobs, because it was the mode that required the most understanding of the maps and gameplay. Zones was always the best for noobs because it didn't require any special understanding of play. In S2 it's simply as though they suddenly forget how to play when it's zones. My TW teams are competitive and competent. I go to Zones and they all race out on a single line of ink and have no idea how they keep getting spawncamped :P

It's such a bad feel when you fight Ink Armor with rapid fire weapons. It's like I should just surrender at that point.

100% agreed on all that update talk. I'm not asking for an August 2015-tier update right now, that can come later, but speeding up the trickle even just a bit by adding 2 weapons a week is something they REALLY should do imo.
Data mining has shown that 45 weapons have been revealed, about 4-6 multiplayer maps are in development, 2 Salmon Run maps are in development, and many more weapons are currently incomplete but are in the process of being created. and this is without knowing about all the weapons and maps that can't be datamined at the moment.
The truth is, they really could release 2 weapons a week, and then release a single map every now and then without new weapons and still meet the 1 year of updates quota they created for themselves. The "1 year of free updates!" is sorta brought down by the fact that we get a get a single weapon that more often than not already existed in the first game.
That explains it then! That's what's wrong with Sploosh! I couldn't figure out how such a good weapon I could really handle well in S1 (it was arguably my best weapon even over chargers, except maybe octobrush) was failing me so often (but inconsistently) in S2.....times I knew I should have a kill I don't even hear a tick. Same with roller flings, taps that should work don't work. So aero really IS better than Sploosh now :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom