Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
Actually I'm pretty sure that Inklings are canonically trans themselves. Or at least easily capable of it. Their Gender, skin color, and hairstyle are all decided by the Inkling themselves without regards to genetics. (I believe this is mentioned whenever you choose the option to change your Inkling's appearance) This fact more than anything else may have lead to the present state of the meme.

I also feel that positive messages have a place anywhere. I knew I was trans when I was 8 (and also knew that my sexuality was straight/lesbian when I was 6 or 7) Kids discover concepts like sexuality and gender at different rates, and in my opinion it's important to make sure kids understand and respect everyone for their differences. I don't think we need to teach kids that Trans is "normal", but that it's "okay".

Anyway, more on topic. One thing people need to realize is that the server tick rates doesn't really change anything because everyone is hit by it evenly. If you look at the pros they're using Splattershot's, Tentateks, N-Zap's, etc. All these I would consider rapid weapons with solid kill potential and they're all doing just fine. I think I've even seen Dualies from time to time.

The only thing the low tick rate does is makes the game feel more inconsistent than it really is. You feel like it takes 5-6 hits to kill your opponent but it feels like they take one hit to return the favor. On the subject of trades, the game is such that trading bullets in general results in a trade. Because the bullets are projectiles you're almost guaranteed to get hit if you and the other start fighting at the same time. You should instead focus on positioning yourself so that you either outrange them and shoot at people who aren't looking at you.

Even with a higher tickrate I would expect trading to be common.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Award, Nothing too complicated, just a simple tap of the squid/swim button. You can perform the chargeroll in place or in any direction.

What you're doing is immediately skipping to the ending animation normally performed during a stored charged swim with hardly any of the ending lag. It not only works as a dodge because it moves you one character width, but it hides your laser while allowing you to freely aim anywhere.

's not a bug, just an unintended mechanic... ¬¬;

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah that's just how I used CEliter in S1. It was a blast. Then they nerfed the partial charge and I went back to scopes, and started playing less aggro-eliter. I've been playing scopeless again so far in S2 (oddly I like the scope on the splatterscope but not sure about eliter) and I've been doing really good with it again. The stored charge helps it, and without partial charges, scopeless seems better for CQC so far. AFAIK there's no range advantage on scopes anymore? So it really kills a big reason to go with scope. You get scope peeking which is nice, but having to zoom all the way in can be annoying. You get more kills, but I think it might be less effective. And I'm back to 10+ kills with eliters in TC so I'm feeling the charger vibe again.

I don't know, I think they'll do nothing. They take so long to jump to with the motion map cursor. I've seen mroe and more squids using them, and I've seen my teams ignore them, but with the smaller maps all they do is bring you blindly closer to danger. They seem most effective on the old maps, but even there, I've noticed they're really kind of ineffective (unless my incompetent teams ignore them forever and ever right next to the zone... :p )

How exactly does one "charge roll"? Is it just jump/swim to the side real quick? I've been loving Squiffer overall. At least in TW. In ranked, I can't get myself to switch out my eliter/octo for tc/rm. Those are too useful in too many roles. Still don't have a standard in Zones though. Sploosh has always been my main zones wep but in these new maps....sploosh hasn't been cutting it, especially raceway and musselforge. I haven't done much ranked. Got everything up to B- then stopped. Then made an alt and on all three modes I shot from C- to B- all at once (skipping over C and C+). Then went back to my main and played B- Zones (my best mode!) and we lost 10/13 games.....within 15 seconds as a total 0-100 shutout. (these are the squids that ignored beacons literally on the border of the zone itself....) I switched from sploosh to flingza....no... the long windup is too slow when the team is always missing. I realized they were never inking and therefore never winning, so I switch to aerospray....which interestingly, aero no seems to be in S2 what sploosh was in s1. Sploosh doesn't handle the new tick rate well, so I may have to trade my sploosh for an aero (funny that's what I started with. Aero viable in ranked is just too funny!) . Then I realized they were killing more than me but their kills were all trades, so we were losing. So I switched to Squiffer. Bad move....we had no turf to move in again, and squiffer needs competent inkers to move. So 3 cracks in the silly b- glass and ready to go back to the C', I finally went meta, broke down, went to Sheldon's shop and finally bought the little green murder bucket my opponents kept wielding. Won every game after. I haven't even TOUCHED a trislosher since December '15. I bought it, took it to ranked, and won non stop. That thing is absurdly OP. Especially zones.

Things went a lot better in TC with eliter where buckets have less sway.

I really don't get where that whole thing came from....it's kind of weird. It's the first time I've seen a political movement in Splatoon's 'verse. It just showed up one day after one day of "I wish x was real" which was also weirder than usual, but I'm not sure how or why it came to be. It seems very out of place. There's nothing "bad" about it, but it seems out of place in the game. (And yes, it's political, as a pre-emptive response to all the "love is not politics" Sverse posts.....no it isn't, and gender isn't, but advocating for something is politics by definition. Being trans isn't politics. Telling someone you're trans isn't politics. Advocating in support of trans is politics. Which is fine....but awkward inside a video game about squids shooting water pistols.) Though this doesn't seem quite like advocacy and more like....a meme that everyone is missing the joke on? I have a feeling it started on a play of changing from squids to kids (trans) and then someone saw it and took it seriously and thought it was actually about genders, and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon to support the political feel-good cause du jour. Of course some animals are naturally gender-shifters......but squids aren't one of them, so that doesn't really tie in either.

My only theory is that it was originally a pun about squid-kids shifting, and somehow everyone looking to be part of a cause missed the joke and turned it into an Inkopolis political soapbox?

That's my head-canon and I'm sticking with it!

ARMS has thinned out a lot, at least in the West, so I'm seeing a LOT more Japanese players there. And they're REALLY good. I dropped into party mode a few times recently and was expecting a fun casual brawl, and I got decimated by players. Though in Skill shot I pwned little Tournament-san. Revenge was nice :)

In S1 RM was the worst of the modes for getting noobs, because it was the mode that required the most understanding of the maps and gameplay. Zones was always the best for noobs because it didn't require any special understanding of play. In S2 it's simply as though they suddenly forget how to play when it's zones. My TW teams are competitive and competent. I go to Zones and they all race out on a single line of ink and have no idea how they keep getting spawncamped :p

That explains it then! That's what's wrong with Sploosh! I couldn't figure out how such a good weapon I could really handle well in S1 (it was arguably my best weapon even over chargers, except maybe octobrush) was failing me so often (but inconsistently) in S2.....times I knew I should have a kill I don't even hear a tick. Same with roller flings, taps that should work don't work. So aero really IS better than Sploosh now :(
There is a range advantage on scopes still. But yeah, the maps seem to favor nonscoped stuff for now, since pretty much anything you can hit with a scope you can still hit without. And port mackerel is p much the only map you can use the scope without worrying about an immediate flank.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
News update I am alive....

Catching up from inkstorm so here are a few notes I wanted to add to the general discussion

I see a lot of people have been running object shredder to deal with ink armor.
I end up leaning more toward respawn punisher to deal with this since if you prevent how long a tri-slosher or an n-zap from being in a battle gaining special charge it prevent heavy pushes or force them to priortize you over objective.

Tickrate, honestly the only real problem I see with this is it makes the already incosistant stinger harder to use. But honestly these is no pay required for internet, so Nintendo has no profit loss, with paid internet service they will likely want to keep profit up and manage things like tickrate a lot better

Lastly yes the pacing of updates is painfully slow right now, but it does keep us from asking a few more important questions, like are octolings going to be playable? How long until there is a balance change? What about salmon run? And most importantly what other modes are they going to add to keep this game from getting stale?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
In S1 RM was the worst of the modes for getting noobs, because it was the mode that required the most understanding of the maps and gameplay. Zones was always the best for noobs because it didn't require any special understanding of play. In S2 it's simply as though they suddenly forget how to play when it's zones. My TW teams are competitive and competent. I go to Zones and they all race out on a single line of ink and have no idea how they keep getting spawncamped :p
Yup. It's really weird. Zones in league duos has been the worst for me. Know I'm not a constant complainer when it comes to teammates because I promise all of you it gets to really weird levels of incompetence in zones. I really don't understand it, and it's driving me insane.

BEASTMODE 110%

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-4434-8987-9710
I know I totally agree with u
It drives me insane I just wanna scream when my team is doing bad and I'm doing 1000000000 times better than they are I wish teammates were the same lvls and have good skills as me I'm lvl 37 what lvl are u spacewitchmars and don't lie about ur lvl

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I know I totally agree with u
It drives me insane I just wanna scream when my team is doing bad and I'm doing 1000000000 times better than they are I wish teammates were the same lvls and have good skills as me I'm lvl 37 what lvl are u spacewitchmars and don't lie about ur lvl
Level 12, but I'm a few dozen games away from level 13.

BEASTMODE 110%

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-4434-8987-9710
Wow lol good job keep up the work what r u currently using for ur weapon right now?

BEASTMODE 110%

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-4434-8987-9710
Is Splatoon 2 right? And can we be friends pls? And can u like me pls? Mostly cause I liked u and if u want to see my YouTube channel I'll give u my link

BEASTMODE 110%

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-4434-8987-9710
Just go to YouTube and search BestOfGaming I mad a video about fighting all bosses no death pls watch it and all of my others if u like splatoon and other games I posted them so watch them pls u will enjoy them and pls for squid boards pls like me and follow me pls pls pls thx!!!

BEASTMODE 110%

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-4434-8987-9710
IF ANYONE NEEDS ADVICE ILL HELP U!!!!!! CAUSE IM LVL 32 IN SPLATOON AND IM LVL 37 IN SPLATOON 2 SO JUST POST MY NAME AND ILL GIVE U ADVICE ABOUT WEAPON AND I TELL U WHICH WEAPON FOR WHICH MODE SO JUST SAY MY NAME AND ILL GIVE U THE ADVICE!!!

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Lonely_Dolphin I ducked out of the competitive scene long ago, so I wouldn't know the finer details about it (beyond the usual quibbles). I go off my own observations; probably should've made that clear to begin with, my bad.

Say, any of you guys might be able to help out? I have a friend who's been trying to invite me into a Lounge room, and every time I try to join him it tells me that his room's unavailable. That and if I check the invite on my phone, the app crashes. Is there something I'm missing?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
New stage, new special (and weapon technically), new Salmon Run arena! Finally, some new content!
I wonder if this means they'll start releasing more bubble blower weapons for a while (so that it's more than one weapon with that special) or if they want to see how the one weapon does out in the wild before they start releasing others.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It's about time we got some new maps! However it seems Manta Maria is yet another small map with tight spaces and much obstacles. I'm starting to fear we'll never get maps like Walleye, Kelp, or Triggerfish and that every map is just going to be a variant of Flounder Heights. =(

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Well it's about time that we had some new map content instead of just more weapon updates. The map rotation was begining to get stale fast- and I know I'm not the first to say that...

The map layouts for both regular Turfing and Salmon Run look interesting and refreshing, to say the least. I'm excited!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
It's about time we got some new maps! However it seems Manta Maria is yet another small map with tight spaces and much obstacles. I'm starting to fear we'll never get maps like Walleye, Kelp, or Triggerfish and that every map is just going to be a variant of Flounder Heights. =(
If Warehouse doesn't come back, I'm going to be so very sad. So very, very sad. I feel like they're going to rework it eventually.

At least with this new map, it seems like there are more vertical spaces for players to occupy, which isn't the case with most of the other new maps. Plenty of places for me to splat camping .96 gals and snipers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom