Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Honestly, Roller buffs are great and all but...my only problem with Rollers is that they feel unfun as hell this time around. The Carbon's kill range got demolished, meme'd to hell and back, then crushed into next week, Flingza's 3 shot vertical flick is a joke, Dynamo spits out too little, and Splat Rollers are eh. i miss the old jump flick.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Isn't that really just the Lunas though? I don't recall RnB's being bunny hoppers.
Unless my memory is foggy, it was mainly the rapids that often kept their feet on the ground.

As for tri-sloshers, they were the speedy short-range scrapper of the three buckets. Now they've kept the speed and the scrappiness while giving it the range of a standard shooter with hardly any fall off damage from the sides or distance. Add in the burst bomb sub and I'm certain a few of them were vanilla slosher or carbon roller mains in a past life. It's... extremely tempting to use.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Add in the burst bomb sub and I'm certain a few of them were vanilla slosher or carbon roller mains in a past life. It's... extremely tempting to use.
I REALLY liked the old Carbon Roller and the old Slosher....The Tri-Slosher2! is currently really testing my self-restraint. The only thing stopping me from using it is the fear of feeling like cancer. *sigh* I miss Burst Bombs on the Slosher and Carbon Roller so bad, man.....

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
If they said there would be more updates next month for sure, then I guess I'll be hopeful some of the things that need nerfs will get them. I'm glad some iffy weapons are getting buffs to make them better and all, but I would have rather the super strong weapons be taken down a peg. If the devs track our play data regarding weapon usage, I am pretty frustrated they are going to keep the Tri slosher and ink armor the way it is for likely another month. They have to know some weapons are being overused because of their good stats and kits. Good luck using any weapon that's around the range of the Tri slosher, they can still run you through without any effort...

I know this is the first of many updates and balances, but I'm pretty unhappy with it.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Award
Respawn punisher is misphrased in English, it makes it so enemies you splat have a longer respawn time but also double your respawn time if you are splatted.
It has no effect that was noted of if they splat you (someone had tested it earlier and found this out)
So as long as you stay alive and getting splats you are constantly delaying their respawn

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I REALLY liked the old Carbon Roller and the old Slosher....The Tri-Slosher2! is currently really testing my self-restraint. The only thing stopping me from using it is the fear of feeling like cancer. *sigh* I miss Burst Bombs on the Slosher and Carbon Roller so bad, man.....
Mate if you wanna play a weapon just play it! Don't let other people's opinions on a weapon being good or bad stop you!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
@Award
Respawn punisher is misphrased in English, it makes it so enemies you splat have a longer respawn time but also double your respawn time if you are splatted.
It has no effect that was noted of if they splat you (someone had tested it earlier and found this out)
So as long as you stay alive and getting splats you are constantly delaying their respawn
Once people realize that it was just a mistranslation, that perk is going to become the bread and butter of many high splat/low death players. Honestly, I hope people don't become privy to it.

Mate if you wanna play a weapon just play it! Don't let other people's opinions on a weapon being good or bad stop you!
And honestly, I think most opinions on OP weapons are a littttllleee overblown. Not untrue, and those opinions are still valid. Just that it's very early in the meta and counters are already emerging that take away some of the OPness of OP weapons.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
It's less about other people's opinions, and more about my pride. I think Tri-Slosher in Splatoon 2 is one of the most cancerous things I've ever had to encounter in an online video game of any type, hence why I just can't bring myself to use it. I would feel like supreme garbage if I ended up using it.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
@Award
Wait, lemme get this straight. People YOU splat have an increased respawn time, and YOU have an increased respawn time? It isn't "people who splat you have an increased respawn time when you splat them and you have increased respawn time"? Because if so, Respawn Punisher is gonna be pretty good for Splatlings and Chargers then.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Wait, lemme get this straight. People YOU splat have an increased respawn time, and YOU have an increased respawn time? It isn't "people who splat you have an increased respawn time when you splat them and you have increased respawn time"? Because if so, Respawn Punisher is gonna be pretty good for Splatlings and Chargers then.
That's right. It's a high risk/high reward ability. Near God tier ability if and only if you kill way more than you die.

Last edited:

Award

@Award
I actually didn't have a problem with the English translation, I understood it from the start.

But I still say it's a double edged ability. At least in the lower ranks, I seem to be the one carrying the team, and if I don't carry ultra-hard, we lose. It was the same in S1. As a result, I'm left to rush into battle recklessly to play the objective more times than I'd like, or use myself as a kamikaze to shut down the RM or tower often. So in a bad match my k/d might be 6/10. In a great match my k/d might be 23/15 with octobrush on RM. But if I'm off the map for too much time, my team would be utterly crushed and we'd lose ground overall.

It seems like a great ability for competitive play and full leagues where you know you can count on your team, but waaaaaay too risky for solo q where you don't know if your teammates can hold the line each time you're splatted and don't return for an hour :P And a REALLY bad choice when you KNOW your teammates can't hold the line or chase down the RM every time it approaches (I swear in the average RM match about 3/4 of the enemy RM being stopped are done by me as a kamikaze brush run.)

I do fear how it might be used by top shelf players, namely those great snipers, but with the closed maps where any perched sniper gets ganked over and over......even that has limited use. In certain hands and certain situations that can be deadly I'm sure. But for general play I think the risk outweighs the reward.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
...Wait, no Stingray buff!? Guess they're still figuring that out.
I think they have to tackle this in multiple stages. They are fixing an issue where sound effects and actual damage don't line up, which will help our perception of tickrate issues be more accurate. Then they can take another look at the specials for which tickrate is a substantial issue (Sting Ray and Ink Armor).

That's probably why they're leaving the Tri-Slosher alone for now, too. I imagine they had a big internal conversation about whether to nerf Tri-Slosher and/or Ink Armor, and decided to take the conservative approach and fix related issues one at a time.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I actually didn't have a problem with the English translation, I understood it from the start.

But I still say it's a double edged ability. At least in the lower ranks, I seem to be the one carrying the team, and if I don't carry ultra-hard, we lose. It was the same in S1. As a result, I'm left to rush into battle recklessly to play the objective more times than I'd like, or use myself as a kamikaze to shut down the RM or tower often. So in a bad match my k/d might be 6/10. In a great match my k/d might be 23/15 with octobrush on RM. But if I'm off the map for too much time, my team would be utterly crushed and we'd lose ground overall.

It seems like a great ability for competitive play and full leagues where you know you can count on your team, but waaaaaay too risky for solo q where you don't know if your teammates can hold the line each time you're splatted and don't return for an hour :p And a REALLY bad choice when you KNOW your teammates can't hold the line or chase down the RM every time it approaches (I swear in the average RM match about 3/4 of the enemy RM being stopped are done by me as a kamikaze brush run.)

I do fear how it might be used by top shelf players, namely those great snipers, but with the closed maps where any perched sniper gets ganked over and over......even that has limited use. In certain hands and certain situations that can be deadly I'm sure. But for general play I think the risk outweighs the reward.
Yeah I guess I understand, though i will say in the upper ranks of solo queue it does get easier, I am S+ in most modes (outside of TC) and I will say for duelies, squiffer, splatcharger, and few other weapon it is really effective that being said I have so much mobility it makes me hard to catch and easier to dodge
Also btw try the vanilla blaster in rainmaker (mentioned this in the new underestimated weapons thread but..) I went from S to S+ without a single loss using it, even went 19-6, it counters a lot of the current meta with it kit and is honestly is a real blast to use:D

Award

I think they have to tackle this in multiple stages. They are fixing an issue where sound effects and actual damage don't line up, which will help our perception of tickrate issues be more accurate. Then they can take another look at the specials for which tickrate is a substantial issue (Sting Ray and Ink Armor).

That's probably why they're leaving the Tri-Slosher alone for now, too. I imagine they had a big internal conversation about whether to nerf Tri-Slosher and/or Ink Armor, and decided to take the conservative approach and fix related issues one at a time.
Interesting, I hadn't heard about the sound/damage timing issue. That makes a lot of sense with what I've seen, but never thought that level of issue was present.

And Nintendo, conservative? Noooo.... :P

Yeah I guess I understand, though i will say in the upper ranks of solo queue it does get easier, I am S+ in most modes (outside of TC) and I will say for duelies, squiffer, splatcharger, and few other weapon it is really effective that being said I have so much mobility it makes me hard to catch and easier to dodge
Also btw try the vanilla blaster in rainmaker (mentioned this in the new underestimated weapons thread but..) I went from S to S+ without a single loss using it, even went 19-6, it counters a lot of the current meta with it kit and is honestly is a real blast to use:D
Yeah, maybe in upper ranks there's more to it. In lower ranks, you just get used to dying. A lot. Less than the rest of the team, mind you, and with (usually) more splats (or a few less splats but actually pushing the objective :P) While I always try to have a positive k/d when I'm not going with chargers I tend to go with close-range high risk weapons (sploosh/octo), and I ALWAYS play the objective :) Though my K/D's have been really really mixed with eliter in S2 mostly because I just get non-stop flanked, and even if I'm the victorious one I spend have the match dodging and weaving with one or two squids that stay behind to do nothing but harass me all match. I'm really questioning eliter's viability on these maps. I still think long ranged shooters probably benefit a lot from it, almost more than chargers that are liable to get flanked and specifically targeted. Unless the team is good and backing you up. Chargers are so team-dependent, and very support in nature.

I've always loved vanilla blaster....I shied away from it in S1 because of the luna meta, I wanted to go another way, so I adopted octobrush and never looked back in RM :) I hate going meta....it feels so cheap (not that octo isn't meta now, but liked octo before it was cool :P ) But maybe I'll give it a try. :) I think I played vanilla blaster in RM in S1 for a while in the upper A's when my regular weps weren't working and it went only "ok" but that was before the buffs of S2. I distinctly remember using it in Museum.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, that's a pretty sizeable amount of changes. I see they're going for a buff-centric balancing method for now.

I'm kinda confused by this new ability to take down Flyfish with a Splashdown. On the one hand, it's great that we have another method of dealing with those buggers, but when are you ever going to be in a position to jump over one to make the hit? Unless they're talking about just the explosion and not the impact...

And another thing: there's been a spectator mode this whole time?

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I'm kinda confused by this new ability to take down Flyfish with a Splashdown. On the one hand, it's great that we have another method of dealing with those buggers, but when are you ever going to be in a position to jump over one to make the hit?
*awkwardly raises hand* I've tried... more than once... ¬¬;

And another thing: there's been a spectator mode this whole time?
A private battle only feature, but yeah, it's been there since launch. Pretty fun to play with once you get the hang of the controls.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
While I would rather they nerf the more prominent threats sooner rather than later, I will happy accept buffs for weaker weapons first.
On a side note, who ever thought we'd see the day a Dynamo needs a buff to make it viable?
I didn't think there were people who wanted to see the day the Dynamo would be viable again.
But maybe that's just me being salty at the fact that the Dynamo got a buff before the Flingza did. :p

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
@Award You misunderstood, weak as in weak shots that rapid fire to stir up the turf. I love speed. I do not mean overall the weapon is unplayable. Sorry if my post came off as sappy, but I get tired of backing my 'claims' in order to appease people. It is my main, so I wouldn't be using it if it was 'weak', no offense.

I don't feel like getting into an argument that seems to be totally misunderstood, which seems to be a common thing with me, so please stay on topic. Either way, I want my weapon back, and that is all that matters to me.

Last edited:

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
H-HEY! It seems I missed a notification and/or stopped getting them! YAY!

Anyways, I'm not gonna read through what I missed so...what'd I miss? (Starting from 2 days ago)

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
H-HEY! It seems I missed a notification and/or stopped getting them! YAY!

Anyways, I'm not gonna read through what I missed so...what'd I miss? (Starting from 2 days ago)
Leaves for 2 days, Iwata comes back, Nintendo annouces new maps and weapons for Spaltoon 2, Melee HD is released and, scientist make the first squid kid hybrid

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom