• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Noice! I find the regular Brella probably the best weapon in the game atm, so at last there's an exciting update for me again!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Noice! I find the regular Brella probably the best weapon in the game atm, so at last there's an exciting update for me again!
For the first time today, I came across a splatbrella player in ranked who was actually good. I feel like it's one of those weapons that might, because it's so different, take a second for most players to learn to use properly. This guy actually surprised me. I was like, "Ohhh... everyone's just been USING IT WRONG. This weapon doesn't suck at all."

Tenta is probably going to be that to the max, but it'll be cool for the sake of variety when more high level players start catching on how to use them properly.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
*looks at calendar*

Yep, the next splatfest and patch will most likely be before the last week of October. Because once Super Mario Odyssey is released, there'll be a dip in matchmaking availability for a good spell.

Heck, as @Cyan mentioned, the patch and splatfest could be within the next two weeks to leave room for that SuMO pre-release hype.

As for this week... *slides a stack of betting chips on the bamboozler spot*
So close and yet so far..... but hey at least you can shield our agony, hopefully only til next Friday.
Anyways I really can't wait to see how this weapon will play

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
For the first time today, I came across a splatbrella player in ranked who was actually good. I feel like it's one of those weapons that might, because it's so different, take a second for most players to learn to use properly. This guy actually surprised me. I was like, "Ohhh... everyone's just been USING IT WRONG. This weapon doesn't suck at all."

Tenta is probably going to be that to the max, but it'll be cool for the sake of variety when more high level players start catching on how to use them properly.
Ya mean me B)?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Ya mean me B)?
Ha. I wish I caught the name. I often wonder which of you I've come across in solo ranked without ever realizing it. I'm sure there are plenty of really good splatbrella players, but I rarely see them at all in ranked so the sample size is way too small. Even coming across one good brellar isn't so bad, considering how few people play as that.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
It makes sense that the Tenta Brella is coming out this week, if they squeeze it in before the patch they can gather enough data around it to see how changing other weapons will affect the Tenta, and obviously they don't want to nerf things if the Tenta Brella becomes a massive tank that destroys other weapons with too much ease. I personally don't like this weapon kit, Squid Beakons won't work with it, not to mention that teammates never use them and we all know how bad Bubble Blower is as a special, it floats around and does nothing else really. The only weapon I enjoy and like Squid Beakons on is the Dapple Dualies, I can place them in areas where I can jump back if I get taken out, and it works well with Comeback as the movement buffs and special charge enable me to get that bomb launcher pretty quickly (I run 1 main 3 subs Run Speed, 1 main 2 subs Swim, Comeback and the rest are other random subs atm). Beakons are great on weapons that can either abuse jumping around the map with ease (like the Octobrush in Splatoon 1) or appreciate getting back quickly (Krak-On Roller, Dapples). The rest of the time they don't do much because teammates refuse to use them half the time, even when they're in the safest places possible. I don't see this kit meshing well with the Tenta Brella, and I think we'll need the alternative kit for it (whatever that is because the datamine list hasn't been updated in weeks, it still has a few weapons marked as unreleased that have come out) in order to get a better result with it.

This is the first time I won't be hopping on this weekend to try the new weapon, I did it for pretty much everything else (and even fell in love with Custom Jr., Sloshing Machine, Rapid Pro), but I don't particularly care for this weapon, and nor do I care for this kit, so I'll see what you guys make of this weapon. It'll be interesting to see what people make of this weapon come Saturday.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Well then... this happened... *cracks*

"I hated the brella but this is new so I'll give it a try, but if it doesn't net me 20+ thousand kills and I lose my A- rank again because the matchmaker always hands me a bunch of losers I always have to carry with my obvious S++ skill then this low tier weapon is obviously trash tier!!1!" </obviously obvious sarcasm>

Alright Splatoon, since Bambi hasn't answered my text all week I'll go ahead and take your grandkid on a date this weekend. Don't worry, I promise to show them a good time and be on my best skill level.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral

I've ran into quite a few other good Splat Brellas myself. One-on-one battles between to Brellas are very intense.
And I expect the Tenta Brella to need some practice time, for sure.

It makes sense that the Tenta Brella is coming out this week, if they squeeze it in before the patch they can gather enough data around it to see how changing other weapons will affect the Tenta, and obviously they don't want to nerf things if the Tenta Brella becomes a massive tank that destroys other weapons with too much ease. I personally don't like this weapon kit, Squid Beakons won't work with it, not to mention that teammates never use them and we all know how bad Bubble Blower is as a special, it floats around and does nothing else really.
I don't see how the Squid Beacon's won't work with this. The primary reason that exists is to allow someone to always have a safe super-jump spot. That'll still work with the Tenta Brella.
Although I agree that it (and the Bubble Blower) suck(s). I will say that I am GLAD that team members don't really use the beacons you set up. I set them up for myself to use. And while it's useful for our team if others can make use of them, I'd rather keep them for myself.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Wonder if there'll be a minor uptick in object shredder usage does about a week, because if that thing has even half more health than a regular brella you can tank through most specials and still eat at least one more hit.

Almost wish I spurged for a capture card to help with testing and comparisons.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Wonder if there'll be a minor uptick in object shredder usage does about a week, because if that thing has even half more health than a regular brella you can tank through most specials and still eat at least one more hit.

Almost wish I spurged for a capture card to help with testing and comparisons.
From what I heard Object Shredder has no effect on Brella shields, which is good considering it doesn't have enough health as is.

Award

*looks at calendar*

Yep, the next splatfest and patch will most likely be before the last week of October. Because once Super Mario Odyssey is released, there'll be a dip in matchmaking availability for a good spell.

Heck, as @Cyan mentioned, the patch and splatfest could be within the next two weeks to leave room for that SuMO pre-release hype.

As for this week... *slides a stack of betting chips on the bamboozler spot*
Because matchmaking availability is so excellent before SuMO! (Stares at clock resetting to 140....again.... :P )

I may have lost the bet, but I've won so much more.
HOLY CARP IT'S REAL!!

And every Hydra, Bamboozler, and Range Blaster main screams for that much longer...
Oh, sorry, didn't realize you could hear. :P

I still can't figure out brella. Waiting for the shield to open confounds me, then having to put it away before it flies away counfounds me more. I love technical weapons....even rolling with duelies, though I suck at it, I think I can figure out. But the brellas are too much patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time for me, I fear :(

the matchmaker always hands me a bunch of losers I always have to carry with my obvious S++ skill
That wasn't the matchmaker. That was leagues.

Award

From what I heard Object Shredder has no effect on Brella shields, which is good considering it doesn't have enough health as is.
The lack of health isn't the brella's biggest difficulty to me. It's the fact that you can't control how long you keep it before it releases. I realize they don't want the brella tanking forever and ever, but at the same time the brief window of shielding seems really difficult to use effectively 90% of the time.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
The lack of health isn't the brella's biggest difficulty to me. It's the fact that you can't control how long you keep it before it releases. I realize they don't want the brella tanking forever and ever, but at the same time the brief window of shielding seems really difficult to use effectively 90% of the time.
You can put the shield down before it launches then open it again, rinse and repeat for indefinite shielding.

Aside from lackluster offense, how long it takes for the shield to actually pop off is the biggest problem for me. That's the best part of the weapon imo, a shield you can shoot through that creates a path and can damage enemys, but with the aforementioned issues this tactic is very situational and unreliable currently. A buff increasing Brella HP and reducing wait time before it pops off I think would make the weapon great.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You can put the shield down before it launches then open it again, rinse and repeat for indefinite shielding.

Aside from lackluster offense, how long it takes for the shield to actually pop off is the biggest problem for me. That's the best part of the weapon imo, a shield you can shoot through that creates a path and can damage enemys, but with the aforementioned issues this tactic is very situational and unreliable currently. A buff increasing Brella HP and reducing wait time before it pops off I think would make the weapon great.
I personally like the delay between shielding and launching the shield. It allows for more regular blocking.

While brella launching in certain situations is quite effective (moving splash wall that also inks? Yes please!)
the needed delay before being able to shield again(imagine someone spamming moving splash walls? x_x no thank you) leaves me feeling very vulnerable, as I like to shield and annoy the opponents quite often(I love it when you block their ink from reaching the splat zone)

And increasing the hp? I dunno on that one.

On one hand, it does stink when you shield when you should have probably retreated, and your shield pops like a soap bubble from an enemy splattershot (or 2+ opponents' focus fire)

But on the other hand, baller just got buffed and is dominating top league quad ranking.
If they buff brella's HP, it might be too much as well (also, when I feel I've used splat brella right, I manage to tank just the right shots and pull off an amazing defense/push. I am very unsure whether or not this should be made easier to pull off. I'll leave that to the dev's to decide.)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Yep, this is pretty much my bread n' butter brella tactic I currently lean on. Shoot, shield as well as shoot, shuffle shield-bash.

Really, there's a sort of rhythm or timing you just have to sync with. You eventually get a feel in knowing when the brella will deploy, when it's about to fly off, and when you'll have a new one ready.

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah, I haven't used it much, but it feels really weird and clunky to me. I would rather there be a separate input to launch the brella, like. idk, pushing the jump button while you have the brella open

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom