• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
@

I said aero was op and nobody believed me :p
Aero with baller has been my biggest headache when using the RBP. I don't have a great answer for it, but aeros were always the bane of my existence even with just the RB.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Weren't you talking about the MG with the curling bomb launcher though? Everyone still thinks that's trash.
No, Goldie, which is why it's in my signature under "Because it's meta, that's why:" (next to the now crossed out Little Green Murder Bucket. :) )

However silver's curling bomb launcher is a menace in a somewhat similar way, particularly when there are multiples, especially in zones and TW. That can be solved by simply reducing the number of curling bombs it can spew/special duration to match the suction bomb launcher. MG can't be underestimated with it's own special spam chaos. But Goldie is a whole other thing.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I say Baller is fine now, people simply gotta learn you can no longer shrug it off by just standing there and shooting at it by themselves. It's now a threat that must be respected and anticipated as a special should be methinks.

@

I said aero was op and nobody believed me :p
And I still don't!

Also I would say Dapples are better than Sploosh, but if you like the Sploosh more then keep on using it!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Award
I can get what you mean by the dapple duelies there style is somewhat similar overall the sploosh actually posses the more mobility of the two, also a different setup entirely from the normal splatoon gear setup.
Sploosh has the curling bomb which add the ability to quickly create paths, toss angled bomb, or use short fuse bomb. It also posses the splashdown which complements a playstyle rushdown to quickly take out target, or flanking to catch teams by surprise with stealth and clever planning.
Some sploosh players, therefore usually favor a swim speed with some mobility and ninja squid at times to boost that potential.

Dapple duelies on the other hand play very differently, they are also really great at flanking and taking out prioty targets. They are mainly objective/defensively focused using beckons to get allies to the point and bomb rush to take quick control of a objective.
Most Duelies prefer to use run speedup instead of swim speed and ink resistance to help prevent from rolling into enemy ink hope it help.

Also yeah the flinga is a fun weapon to play, need to work out a better set for it as for many of the weapons I am trying out... as for the vert definetly needs a buff (at least a consistent hit box range for the vert.) Though it is the most satisfying to hit in middair

Award

@Award
I can get what you mean by the dapple duelies there style is somewhat similar overall the sploosh actually posses the more mobility of the two, also a different setup entirely from the normal splatoon gear setup.
Sploosh has the curling bomb which add the ability to quickly create paths, toss angled bomb, or use short fuse bomb. It also posses the splashdown which complements a playstyle rushdown to quickly take out target, or flanking to catch teams by surprise with stealth and clever planning.
Some sploosh players, therefore usually favor a swim speed with some mobility and ninja squid at times to boost that potential.

Dapple duelies on the other hand play very differently, they are also really great at flanking and taking out prioty targets. They are mainly objective/defensively focused using beckons to get allies to the point and bomb rush to take quick control of a objective.
Most Duelies prefer to use run speedup instead of swim speed and ink resistance to help prevent from rolling into enemy ink hope it help.

Also yeah the flinga is a fun weapon to play, need to work out a better set for it as for many of the weapons I am trying out... as for the vert definetly needs a buff (at least a consistent hit box range for the vert.) Though it is the most satisfying to hit in middair
Great description! You put a much finer point on ideas I kind of had a "feel" for but couldn't pin down objectively. You described my splooshing to a t. Swim speed + ninja. Rushdown or stealth flank. Moving along the walls, etc. The mobility is a key point to me.

That explains my difficulties with dapple. (well other than that I suck at dodge roll :P ), It does sound like the dapple plays more like a shooter, where sploosh plays more like a brush/roller, and considering brushes and rollers are my other mains, and I've never really mained the shooters, (other than sploosh) I'd feel a little disjointed with it. And if they aren't really a "better sploosh" at playing like a sploosh, I might as well stick with sploosh and use the vanilla duelies when I want to go "shooter meta" (though dapples can be fun too.) (I know enperry is the most popular duelie, but burst cancelling is just too tempting for an old eliter/carbon main :P )

I think, for me, the dapples present a conundrum to my splooshing. I used to sploosh with beacons and harass with wail. Now the dapples got my beacons, so that play style I had with sploosh is split uncomfortably between sploosh and dapple (and nobody uses beacons in solo, sadly.) Curling bombs are great for sploosh, but I find I don't use them as much as I could since it makes my path predicatable. I haven't looked at the mined spoilers, but I'm hoping the Neo will have tentamissiles.....that replaces wail as the "stop for 2 seconds and fire and forget a harassement special, then capitalize on the chaos from behind" special. Not sure what I want in a sub. Splat bombs would be amazing. Suction would be kind of useless (why zone away if you want to get close?) , burst would be interesting. But it'll probably be point sensors like the old neo which was always kind of so so to me.

Flingza....I don't know...the set doesn't seem half bad. Well, more to the point, it's half bad. :P The wall just seems so silly on it. And on these new maps in general. But if I had bombs would I waste the ink on them rather than on the roller? Not sure I would. But that special is so powerful given how fast the weapon charges it. I'm not sure another kit would really be better or not. The vert hitbox, no question needs a fix. But I don't know, wish it had another sub, but not sure I'd want to get rid of the special. Unless it gets baller. I'd be all over that. :P But if I use the main roller to kill it becomes a carbon with an inking ability on the vert. The real trouble is when I accidentally do vert while fighting, or try to roll over someone the horizontal only tapped because I'm afraid I'll accidentally vert if I flick again :P that keeps happening.

Just remember, if it gets a buff and becomes laggy dynamo godly in a later meta, remember I was the hipster that defended flingza and tuber before it they were cool. :cool:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Great description! You put a much finer point on ideas I kind of had a "feel" for but couldn't pin down objectively. You described my splooshing to a t. Swim speed + ninja. Rushdown or stealth flank. Moving along the walls, etc. The mobility is a key point to me.

That explains my difficulties with dapple. (well other than that I suck at dodge roll :p ), It does sound like the dapple plays more like a shooter, where sploosh plays more like a brush/roller, and considering brushes and rollers are my other mains, and I've never really mained the shooters, (other than sploosh) I'd feel a little disjointed with it. And if they aren't really a "better sploosh" at playing like a sploosh, I might as well stick with sploosh and use the vanilla duelies when I want to go "shooter meta" (though dapples can be fun too.) (I know enperry is the most popular duelie, but burst cancelling is just too tempting for an old eliter/carbon main :p )

I think, for me, the dapples present a conundrum to my splooshing. I used to sploosh with beacons and harass with wail. Now the dapples got my beacons, so that play style I had with sploosh is split uncomfortably between sploosh and dapple (and nobody uses beacons in solo, sadly.) Curling bombs are great for sploosh, but I find I don't use them as much as I could since it makes my path predicatable. I haven't looked at the mined spoilers, but I'm hoping the Neo will have tentamissiles.....that replaces wail as the "stop for 2 seconds and fire and forget a harassement special, then capitalize on the chaos from behind" special. Not sure what I want in a sub. Splat bombs would be amazing. Suction would be kind of useless (why zone away if you want to get close?) , burst would be interesting. But it'll probably be point sensors like the old neo which was always kind of so so to me.

Flingza....I don't know...the set doesn't seem half bad. Well, more to the point, it's half bad. :p The wall just seems so silly on it. And on these new maps in general. But if I had bombs would I waste the ink on them rather than on the roller? Not sure I would. But that special is so powerful given how fast the weapon charges it. I'm not sure another kit would really be better or not. The vert hitbox, no question needs a fix. But I don't know, wish it had another sub, but not sure I'd want to get rid of the special. Unless it gets baller. I'd be all over that. :p But if I use the main roller to kill it becomes a carbon with an inking ability on the vert. The real trouble is when I accidentally do vert while fighting, or try to roll over someone the horizontal only tapped because I'm afraid I'll accidentally vert if I flick again :p that keeps happening.

Just remember, if it gets a buff and becomes laggy dynamo godly in a later meta, remember I was the hipster that defended flingza and tuber before it they were cool. :cool:
One thing to keep in mind is...

The neo sploosh has squid beakons and tenta missiles, which sounds like it's really going to be your jam.

But also, I could never get the hang of the dodge roll either. I've also never been good at jump shooting with blasters, so it's probably just a coordination thing with me. Coordination overload once you add jumping or rolling into the mix. Even in S1 where I mained the luna and was pretty effective, I never jump blasted. Figuring out how to roll is next level difficult for me.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
The Clash Blaster's in a weird spot. It's not the greatest weapon. It's fire rate is great, but it lacks in every other aspect. Even with it's inking increased, it still doesn't paint well with consistent solid lines. Range is poor, damage is poor, for the moment I'd recommend trying something else so you don't get frustrated.
Dang it, I actually wanted such a silly weapon to work out.

Speaking of silly weapons I want to use...
You know, I'm actually starting to LIKE the flingza roller...On paper it should be great. On practice the vertical flick ruins it. It's kind of the eliter of rollers. You'll miss 80% of your shots, but you ink a LOT.

The only catch is NEITHER weapon allow you to carry a team. So for solo, they're kind of iffy. You can be the dominant one on your team at key moments with either, but you cant maintain that role, so you can't fully carry, but you can surely anchor a good push, or lead the disruption to begin one. Team dependent for sure.
You pretty much just summed up how I feel about the Flingza in one post. The vertical fling is just so bad and desperately needs a buff (it's a 3HKO at any range further than the regular Roller's range), and having little to no carry potential is a real dealbreaker for someone like me who has no friends.
The wall just seems so silly on it. And on these new maps in general. I'm not sure another kit would really be better or not. But I don't know, wish it had another sub, but not sure I'd want to get rid of the special. Unless it gets baller. I'd be all over that. :p
The Splash Wall makes total sense to me, you'd use to protect yourself while you wind up for a vertical swing; the problem is that the vertical swing is so rubbish it ends up not being worth deploying it in the first place.
Just remember, if it gets a buff and becomes laggy dynamo godly in a later meta, remember I was the hipster that defended flingza before they were cool. :cool:
I really want to love the Flingza Roller, but the fact it's been awful since launch and has had no buffs despite the change we've seen so far makes me think we'll never see that day...

Award

One thing to keep in mind is...

The neo sploosh has squid beakons and tenta missiles, which sounds like it's really going to be your jam.

But also, I could never get the hang of the dodge roll either. I've also never been good at jump shooting with blasters, so it's probably just a coordination thing with me. Coordination overload once you add jumping or rolling into the mix. Even in S1 where I mained the luna and was pretty effective, I never jump blasted. Figuring out how to roll is next level difficult for me.
They're doing that?! I really didn't think they'd do that considering dapples are a thing. That's stunning. But oh so awesome. The proper form isn't abandoned! Screw dapples. The #revoloosh begins anew! :)

I love splashdown in general but it seems like such a waste on the sploosh. Both are rushdown CQC abilities, and, honestly, the sploosh main gun kills MUCH faster than splashdown with much lower chance of escape if you're that close anyway, so it's more of a panic button than anything else. I'm kind of annoyed at how vulnerable splashdown is. The invincibility period seems to be way too short or at the wrong time (or lag means you get shot mid-invincibility) But for an ability that's a rushdown or panic button, you shouldn't be able to be splatted so easy as soon as you activate it AND provide enough area for escape.

Dodge rolling, it may be just lack of experience with it, but it disorients me too much. I can do jump shots with blasters. I can do jump shots with chargers (albeit not entirely consistently.) Although, I also wonder at times the effectiveness of the roll gimmick. I have a hard time hitting such opponents, true. But at the same time with sploosh and my double (or triple) swim speed, I do the dive-strafe zigzag thing.....which doesn't seem much slower....but I have more control over it. And with ninja I'm also invisible if I had enough ink down. In a way dodge roll is just the auto version of that that you can't control where exactly you go....maybe that's why I have trouble with it :)

@Saber seriously, why does everybody hate flingza.... The sub sucks, ok, I'll give it that, I'm betting when the second kit comes out it'll get a bump in popularity. And the vert is kind of broken, but if you just make sure not to use the vert for anything but inking and pressuring, then you still get a perfectly fine carbon/inkbrush/sploosh to play up close with an ink range any of those others could only dream of. I can see it not being meta, but how could a carbon or brush player not love it? :) Heck with how crippled new carbon is, how could a carbon main not convert? :P

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I LOVE the clash blaster in RM and zones, but I go all sub saver ups so I can rely heavily on splat bombs to take out the RM carrier from a distance and to ink zones in...well...zones. It's a silly weapon and it isn't perfect, but it can be a lot of fun. If they up the ink coverage just a little bit more, it'll finally have a real place in this game.

They're doing that?! I really didn't think they'd do that considering dapples are a thing. That's stunning. But oh so awesome. The proper form isn't abandoned! Screw dapples. The #revoloosh begins anew! :)
Yup. Don't you ever again forget that Nintendo loves you, and they'll always take care of you. Your faith in Nintendo had waned, but now I see it increasing twofold, threefold; exponentially.

Award

Speaking of silly weapons I want to use...

You pretty much just summed up how I feel about the Flingza in one post. The vertical fling is just so bad and desperately needs a buff (it's a 3HKO at any range further than the regular Roller's range), and having little to no carry potential is a real dealbreaker for someone like me who has no friends.

The Splash Wall makes total sense to me, you'd use to protect yourself while you wind up for a vertical swing; the problem is that the vertical swing is so rubbish it ends up not being worth deploying it in the first place.

I really want to love the Flingza Roller, but the fact it's been awful since launch and has had no buffs despite the change we've seen so far makes me think we'll never see that day...

Haha, it's all true....especially the wall. The problem with the wall is, the windup is so slow, and the maps have so few real choke points that they easily walk around your wall by the time you deploy it, and your horizontal carbon flick is too short range to use the wall. I mostly just use the wall to help teammates making a push when I use it at all. (And it uses too much ink.)

That said if you want to love it, give it a fair shake. I still think it's better than most give it credit for. The inability to carry is a problem, but the NEED to carry is a result of a broken game technically....you shouldn't need to carry to win in a team game. That's just the matchmaker putting people together that shouldn't be together. Generally players that destroy me with my flingza would destroy me with any other weapon on me as well. They're ust better players than me, moreso than flingza harmed me. I wanted to love it, played with it, and it was awful due to that vertical flick, and I dropped it. But I had to readjust how I used it. I was thinking dynamo and krak-on and slosher. I was using the vert offensively. You can't do that. The vert is for creating mile wide curling bomb trails, creating paths, cutting off paths, Up close you can kill with it on grates and such. Sometimes I do. But generally the safe rule is the vert is for inking, special charging, and scaring squids away, but should (almost) never be used to attack the way a dynamo would. With some swim speed you can also use the vert to glue your enemies to the ground to rush them down in the trail you created and bonk them on the head with a horizontal. When I changed the way I thought of it, I found it really plays great. When I started the first time I thought of it as a carbon up close and a dynamo far away. In practice it's a carbon up close, a splat on rolling, and a humongous curling bomb far away. I've been playing it MAINLY as a carbon, offensively, but falling back for flinging big ink to cover huge swaths from a safe location.....antagonizing chargers off their perch with the extreme range...won't kill them, but a charger that's not aiming might as well be on spawn anyway. And especially following teammates with shooters around and saturating the ground near their enemies from behind. It's kind of a map control weapon. Kind of like tuber: Menacing from afar, and lethal up close with an edge in map control like eliter. I'm l'm liking all these tactical weapon options. And I like how the fingza is kind of bipolar. It's a tactical control weapon one moment, and then an hyperactive aggro the next, then back again. Like the squid partiers in half my TW lobbies.... :P

Sploosh is my only true "go nuts aggro" main :)

Speaking of tactical weapons.......is it me or is nobody playing RBP....it's the first new weapon I've scarcely seen since it released, even on release night. I'm not sure why. It's really really good. Again, tactical, but that range and power is excellent. I picked it up again yesterday and was popping foes like popcorn.

I wouldn't use it in RM....I need close range to rush the carrier for that. But for anything else.... I'm surprised I'm not seeing it everywhere....is it more commonly seen in league? I haven't done any league this week so far.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Speaking of tactical weapons.......is it me or is nobody playing RBP....it's the first new weapon I've scarcely seen since it released, even on release night. I'm not sure why. It's really really good. Again, tactical, but that range and power is excellent. I picked it up again yesterday and was popping foes like popcorn.

I wouldn't use it in RM....I need close range to rush the carrier for that. But for anything else.... I'm surprised I'm not seeing it everywhere....is it more commonly seen in league? I haven't done any league this week so far.
I'm painting myself into a corner here as the resident RBP fanboy, but it's an amazing weapon. I'm never going back to the RB unless both maps absolutely dictate a need for it. It's as if this game made a weapon specifically for me. It's everything I ever wanted in a weapon.

What I've seen in league so far is a split of RB and RBP where it used to just be RB. So it's like half the RB uses went to RBP but people who weren't already using RB didn't seem to pick it up. That's just based on what I've seen, though. I'd love to get the stats on it.

the

Inkling Commander
@Award on the subject of splashdown, it seems like it's done a lot better as a panic button since the buff, what with the higher jump and quicker deploy time. But your point about killing ppl better with your main gun is valid, so if u don't wanna use splashdown for that, I've found that it's pretty useful for saving teammates who have overextended into enemy territory (or at least achieving a trade if they die before you land). The downside is that if you don't accomplish one of those two things, you're basically a sitting duck in enemy ink like your teammate was. So judge wisely and make sure your teammate isn't already facing immediate doom before you jump.

Also, about the flingza roller. I actually really like the sub and special combo. It reminds me a lot of the corocoro roller from splatoon 1, except with the..... "fun" addition of the wonky vertical flick. Anyway, I usually play it purely as a support weapon. I lay down splashwalls for my other team members and use the bomb rush to either take an area or cover my teammates' advance. Honestly I love splat bombs and didn't really care for the inkzooka in splatoon 1, so i actually like the flingza more than the splat roller in that respect :p
But yeah, due to even the horizontal flick on rollers seeming to be nerfed from splatoon 1, any combat with this thing really has to be stealthy. If you don't get a OHKO you're basically already splatted unless your opponent is a long range sniper. A carbon playstyle for combat is definitely a good move, but don't be afraid to toss out some splashwalls for your longer-ranged friends too!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I have to admit though many people are a little displeased with these weapons I like the goo tuber, flingza roller, and dappled duelies so much
Mainly cause each one make you have to think so differently from how you would normally play them

I mean seriously a coverage and support roller, a tactical midrange flanking charger, and a hyper active, objective focused shooter.
None of these weapons play exactly as anyone thought they should and I feel that is what make each of them such a blast to learn

I feel the tentabrella will likely fall into a similar category, where most are expecting a moving shield it will likely be a highly dangerous close range and team support weapon....but we will have to see.

Also what happened to the hellseke hailfire? I hardly ever see the terrifying tentamissles anymore. I mean it is still a great weapon yet not one seems to acknowledge it's exisistance anymore.

Award

I'm painting myself into a corner here as the resident RBP fanboy, but it's an amazing weapon. I'm never going back to the RB unless both maps absolutely dictate a need for it. It's as if this game made a weapon specifically for me. It's everything I ever wanted in a weapon.

What I've seen in league so far is a split of RB and RBP where it used to just be RB. So it's like half the RB uses went to RBP but people who weren't already using RB didn't seem to pick it up. That's just based on what I've seen, though. I'd love to get the stats on it.
That makes sense. Considering RB was already the, what #2 competitive weapon? Splitting that in half is still a big number. Makes me cringe a little that I like a meta weapon if that's the case :P But it really is good and a lot of fun. It was in the first game, too. Particularly the Deco which is mostly what the vanilla here is.

@Award on the subject of splashdown, it seems like it's done a lot better as a panic button since the buff, what with the higher jump and quicker deploy time. But your point about killing ppl better with your main gun is valid, so if u don't wanna use splashdown for that, I've found that it's pretty useful for saving teammates who have overextended into enemy territory (or at least achieving a trade if they die before you land). The downside is that if you don't accomplish one of those two things, you're basically a sitting duck in enemy ink like your teammate was. So judge wisely and make sure your teammate isn't already facing immediate doom before you jump.

Also, about the flingza roller. I actually really like the sub and special combo. It reminds me a lot of the corocoro roller from splatoon 1, except with the..... "fun" addition of the wonky vertical flick. Anyway, I usually play it purely as a support weapon. I lay down splashwalls for my other team members and use the bomb rush to either take an area or cover my teammates' advance. Honestly I love splat bombs and didn't really care for the inkzooka in splatoon 1, so i actually like the flingza more than the splat roller in that respect :p
But yeah, due to even the horizontal flick on rollers seeming to be nerfed from splatoon 1, any combat with this thing really has to be stealthy. If you don't get a OHKO you're basically already splatted unless your opponent is a long range sniper. A carbon playstyle for combat is definitely a good move, but don't be afraid to toss out some splashwalls for your longer-ranged friends too!
Yeah, it's definitely better since the buff, but I still find I get splatted mid-splashdown about 30% of the time or more, which is really frustrating. And squids escape it about 40% of the time, including the times when I'm splatted. No other special seems to get you splatted so much. Maybe inkjet. But yeah, since most of my weps have splashdown I'm used to it. Blaster I kind of do the SJ thing you describe. Tuber I use it as a trap (nobody can resist rushing down a charger even if their head is glowing....even if you just splashdown trapped them a minute ago.... :P ) But sploosh.....yeah, the sj trap thing probably makes the most sense. More often that not I'm saving it and forget I'm saving it, and forget that I'm NOT stealthy while I'm saving it...... :P that's why I liked the wail with sploosh...you can go on annoy/harass campaigns and just drop a wail and keep going :)

Haha, well, I never liked CoroCoro either :P The wall didn't work for me on that one either. But it at least worked better....part of that was the maps though. mackerel and moray kind of work for the wall. Reef, mainstage, and Kelp, not so much. But I kind of use it a lot like you describe. It's It's actually the first weapon that makes me REALLY think more of the team than myself. HOWEVER, it also lets me go into full carbon camp mode and shark around which is a blast :) The ability to switch between lurking aggro menace and team supporter based on need is really more powerful than it seems. Haha, finally somebody else that didn't like inkzooka! I never could accomplish much with it, myself. The stealth combat works for me. Carbon, sploosh, and octobrush (and eliter/hydra/bambi) were my big S1 mains. Maybe a lot of people trying flingza are coming from splat/krak or dynamo, and not from carbon and that leads to some of the hate. The carbon play is perfectly fine. And the thing about being already dead if you miss the ohko (or lag interferes with the awful horizontal hitbox) seems to apply to carbon even worse than flingza. I get more ohko with this than I do with carbon in S2. New carbon seems to have a worse hitbox. It often takes 2-3 flicks where it feels like it should be ohko.

Award

I have to admit though many people are a little displeased with these weapons I like the goo tuber, flingza roller, and dappled duelies so much
Mainly cause each one make you have to think so differently from how you would normally play them

I mean seriously a coverage and support roller, a tactical midrange flanking charger, and a hyper active, objective focused shooter.
None of these weapons play exactly as anyone thought they should and I feel that is what make each of them such a blast to learn

I feel the tentabrella will likely fall into a similar category, where most are expecting a moving shield it will likely be a highly dangerous close range and team support weapon....but we will have to see.

Also what happened to the hellseke hailfire? I hardly ever see the terrifying tentamissles anymore. I mean it is still a great weapon yet not one seems to acknowledge it's exisistance anymore.
Haha, at least someone of the upper ranks acknolwedges the merit of the "unloved" weapons. I think you're one of the very few! I just love these roles, but they're more complex roles. More importantly, they got rid of the death stat on the screen, but I still wish they removed the kill stat too. Too many people keep chasing the glory position of top kills. I find myself doing it constantly even though it's nonsensical. Most of these weapons (except dapples maybe) will never be the kill leader. But the 1:20 I spend keeping two squids dancing on the right side raceway of humpback as they try and fail to ever gain an inch to my tuber leaves me with 0-1 splats, and kept half the enemy team out of the game for a very long time :) It actually wastes more of their time than splatting them. :P (Meanwhile I look over and see the rest of my team still made no ground in mid.....but that's a different problem. :P ) I'm learning to be a VERY evasive tuber. I love that stored charge. Nothings got to be more frustrating than a slippery charger that keeps jumping and swimming and avoiding everything you throw at it, and it still has that darn charge trained on you every time they stand still :P They may be out of my range...but they also have to stay there. :P And flingza is much the same in that regard. Duelies are cooler than I initially thought. I didn't know about dodge-stance after dodge-roll until this week! But they're also a little more ordinary. I recall in S1 sploosh was unloved (Dolphin still doesn't love it ;) ), and then the ninja sploosh became a thing. Between dapple and sploosh I have a hard time figuring out which si the more interesting "weird" weapon you have to think a lot about how to use. But dapple with its roll gimmick (like the switch shot roller and stored charge charger) adds a second dimension...defintiely weapons for more experienced players that already had the basics under control and don't mind adding a bit of 2-stage thinking to the mix. Which is why they're so fun! If I didn't play S1 I'd probably hate the new weps as overcomplicated. The Dhalsims of Splatoon.

Yeah, tentabrella is the same kind of different. I still suck at brella's, so we'll see, but I do think that will be a much more playable brella. I don't know about close range....it seems like it's all about mid-range. versus splat brella's short range. Which makes it more appealing. To me, if I can't get in right up close like carbon and sploosh, then I might as well stay way back and work on crowd control :)

Oh I still see tentamissiles all the time. I think the baller/inkjet meta in upper ranks is too intrusive. Tentamissiles are horrifying.... The problem is everybody running into someone else's missile zones without knowing they're there. I wish it wouldn't remove the circles that tell you before they drop....there's no way to know one is coming if someone else was standing there :) Sadly none of my weapons have tentamissiles (yet.)

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
It's a silly weapon and it isn't perfect, but it can be a lot of fun.
That said if you want to love it, give it a fair shake. I still think it's better than most give it credit for. The inability to carry is a problem, but the NEED to carry is a result of a broken game technically....you shouldn't need to carry to win in a team game. That's just the matchmaker putting people together that shouldn't be together.
That's true, it's mostly just the fact that there are so many weapons I want to use (some of which aren't even out yet) but not enough time to master them, so some weapons have to go on the back burner - and it's usually the ones with a poor risk/reward ratio.

That being said; I do want to try out the Flingza again, I haven't used it since 1.2.0.

Also what happened to the hellseke hailfire? I hardly ever see the terrifying tentamissles anymore. I mean it is still a great weapon yet not one seems to acknowledge it's existence anymore.
You probably have the other specials to thank. Most of them have had some big changes so they get talked about more. By contrast, the Tenta Missiles have had almost no changes and therefore have largely been left in the dust discussion-wise.

It also doesn't help most Tenta Missile weapons have more important/interesting things to talk about. (Hi Jet Squelcher/Dualies.)

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031

That's weird because I've noticed a huge uptick in tenta missles in ranked and league over the past few days. Maybe they put them all into my matches and took them from yours.

That makes sense. Considering RB was already the, what #2 competitive weapon? Splitting that in half is still a big number. Makes me cringe a little that I like a meta weapon if that's the case :p But it really is good and a lot of fun. It was in the first game, too. Particularly the Deco which is mostly what the vanilla here is.
I'll be interested to see what happens in competitive matches with the RB and RBP for sure. Since the last patch, I've noticed fewer RB users in games (seemingly, many moved over to the sloshing machine or regular blasters at that point). But what people do in ranked or even, at times, league doesn't always indicate what competitive teams will do. It'll be interesting.

Award

That's true, it's mostly just the fact that there are so many weapons I want to use (some of which aren't even out yet) but not enough time to master them, so some weapons have to go on the back burner - and it's usually the ones with a poor risk/reward ratio.

That being said; I do want to try out the Flingza again, I haven't used it since 1.2.0.

You probably have the other specials to thank. Most of them have had some big changes so they get talked about more. By contrast, the Tenta Missiles have had almost no changes and therefore have largely been left in the dust discussion-wise.

It also doesn't help most Tenta Missile weapons have more important/interesting things to talk about. (Hi Jet Squelcher/Dualies.)
Haha, yeah I suffer from that same "Main *ALL* The Things!" problem :P As though my sig doesn't make that too obvious!

That's weird because I've noticed a huge uptick in tenta missles in ranked and league over the past few days. Maybe they put them all into my matches and took them from yours.

I'll be interested to see what happens in competitive matches with the RB and RBP for sure. Since the last patch, I've noticed fewer RB users in games (seemingly, many moved over to the sloshing machine or regular blasters at that point). But what people do in ranked or even, at times, league doesn't always indicate what competitive teams will do. It'll be interesting.
Yeah I keep getting 2 simultaneous tentamissle launches and by the time we all recover there's another launch. This time next month we'll all be chanting "nerf tentamissiles!" And then someone will defend them and point out the real problem one is the (since buffed) bubbles :P

I've heard about that split between league and competitive. I don't quite know why. Solo I can see....everyone has to have those carryable weapons (well, I don't, but everyone else tries that :P ) but especially quad league (which I haven't played since S1) should be pretty similar. Honestly I just think a lot of popular main weps don't include tentamissiles. They're probably my favorite special to use, but none of my preferred weapons come with them so I never use them, for example. (yet....) I have 300 splashdown weapons, a smattering of stingraylauncher/storm. Nothing with armor or inkjet or missiles.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
They just need to increase the Flingza's vertical flick speed then it'll be plenty viable methinks. While the vertical still wouldn't kill much, it would now be great for painting, a roller niche now empty due to Dynamo nerfs. Sitting back behind your wall until you've charged Bomb Rush to take field control that rollers need would become a much better strat. That Nintendo hasn't given it any buffs, not even less points for special, is very concerning.

Also I'm expecting we'll actually get a Brella this week, but it'll be the Sorella Brella for maximum trolling. Ha nah, it'll either be another alt kit or the Tenta Brella finally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom