Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Patch notes are live: https://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/answers/detail/a_id/34680

Carbon is getting a better horizontal kill distance, Inkjet and Baller will change directions better and a few other changes that are either not relevant or I can’t make them out with Google Translate. A ton of glitch fixes though by the looks of things, but this is set to be a rather inconsequential update in my eyes.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Looks like a lot of weapons are getting reduced RNG? And the clash will paint better and shoot faster?

Edit: Here are some translated patch notes:

Last edited:

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
And they made Aerosprays paint EVEN MORE. They’re already the best Nintendo, no need to overdo it.
Ooh, and did you see the SR changes?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I thought Sloshing Machine and Tri-Slosher were the preferred Slosher's, yet Slosher Deco now has the highest points for special in it's weapon class. Perhaps Nintendo saw that I've been savaging with it lately lel. Well another 10 extra points wont be enough to keep me from launching 6+ Ballers per game. They should've known better than to put Sprinklers as it's sub hehe. The improved Baller mobility sounds like it'll be well worth the trade off to boot!

Also seems they're finally taking back that Aerospray nerf that really was completely uncalled for, so that's good. 35% max damage range increase for Carbon Roller sounds like a lot, hopefully it'll feel more like it did in Splatoon 1. If I understand it correctly, you can squid form with Tenta Missles out, but not while you're firing the missles of course. Now you'll be able to move about while seeing everything the enemys are doing, which can allow you to get as close as possible while still being safe to launch missles and then attack alongside them.

EDIT: Reddit has translations https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/80l2yn/ver230_at_5pm_pst_tomorrow/

Last edited:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
And they made Aerosprays paint EVEN MORE. They’re already the best Nintendo, no need to overdo it.
Ooh, and did you see the SR changes?
As Lonely Dolphin already mentioned, the Aerospray received a rather unfair nerf after the Baller and RG meta. The weapon spread was cut down to that of the Jr., which made it paint far worse than the Jr as well as being bad at killing. This is very much a “whoops we made this weapon suck at painting” fix, as the range, accuracy and kill time are so poor it only had turf power as an incentive to be used over weapons like the Jr and Splash. It’s cool to see difficulty hikes in Salmon Run, but I’m still mightily disappointed that 2.0.0 didn’t introduce more types of boss salmonids and night waves, it could have really benefitted from it.

the

Inkling Commander
Beakons show nearby enemies now? Well that’s a cool incentive to find more clever hiding spots for them I guess

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Hey cool, more ranked tiers for SR. Wonder how hard it's going to be for profresh 400?

As for the actual patch notes, it's good to see that they went with more buffs this time around. The buffs for L-3 are particularly strong, wonder if it's bullets will now approach SSPro like speed. The H-3 gaining more accuracy is definitely going to be interesting aswell. The Aero buffs were also very necessary after it's nerf a few patches back.
That being said, i think N-Zap is going to remain unchallenged for now.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Nothing too remarkable in here. Clash blasters might get a little more annoying. Elitres get tossed a bone. Charge to ink armor decreases for anyone not named Nzap...

Not sure how I feel about finally being able to squid form with Tenta Missiles. It'll make it easier to find a safe spot or finally get away when spotted, but I know some people who use them as if they're a sub-weapon... ¬¬;

Beakons show nearby enemies now? Well that’s a cool incentive to find more clever hiding spots for them I guess
Or demand for a beakon + splashdown kit! *cackles*

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Not sure how I feel about finally being able to squid form with Tenta Missiles. It'll make it easier to find a safe spot or finally get away when spotted, but I know some people who use them as if they're a sub-weapon... ¬¬;
eeriesmileT.png

Anyway, this patch is interesting but inconsequential. I just hope this means less blithering idiots in Salmon Run.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Being able to swim with Tenta Missles activated sounds like a big upgrade to me. Not only will you be able to get away if spotted, you'll be able to adjust your position if you can't quite lock in to all the enemy squids.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
The Tenta Missles buff could be a really useful tool for just guessing general enemy location. It's great to see the Dualie Squelchers get a tiny accuracy buff, but the real gamechanger for that weapon is the Tenta-Missles change. In squid-form I'll be able to quickly locate every enemy's general position without getting killed. Then I can track them down and throw down some sensors based on those general locations. And with a new buff on the sensor, detecting distant enemies looks to be possible. All in all a great buff for my favorite dualie. Oh, and all those other weapons are getting buffs too, so it'll be fun trying all those out again. (Hey, maybe the E-liters will finally be some fun to use, right? Right?!)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Oh yeah, Dualie Squelchers also get a 20% accuracy buff. Man Nintendo REALLY wants people to use that weapon, but from my experience people are already using it pretty regularly. This is unfortunate in a way since the thing hard counters Sloshers, but also good since I use the weapon frequently too. Gonna be real funny when the Custom comes out and it becomes so overused that they have to start nerfing it.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So, do those new SR tiers mean that you stay in those new tiers when the next SR day hits? Because it would be pretty sweet if you can't accidentally drop down to Overachiever anymore.

Other than that...the usual mix of interesting and frequently pointless (in my eyes) buffs and nerfs. Carbon Roller getting a buff is great, for example, but did the Custom Jr. really need that buff? And they already made the Tenta Missles ridiculously safe to use...really didn't need even more help. Though I use a lot of Tenta Missle kits, so I ain't complaining.
Most of all, I'm baffeled by their decision to buff the Hydra's firing time. Usually the fire time is way too long to be useful whereas the weapon is still made around making use of that large firing time by having a ridiculously long start-up. How about buffing the charge rate instead?

the

Inkling Commander
Most of all, I'm baffeled by their decision to buff the Hydra's firing time. Usually the fire time is way too long to be useful whereas the weapon is still made around making use of that large firing time by having a ridiculously long start-up. How about buffing the charge rate instead?
Does the 25% buff only apply at full charge? If not, then it’s sort of like a buff to charge time since you’d shoot 25% longer at any given charge amount. I really hope that’s the case...

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
oh boy
the .52 was like, TOTALLY not a slept-on weapon before
and, like, DEFINITELY needed a buff to make it even viable, ya know?

Now it can, like, be marginally played and stuff.
And NOT be
a friggin' obnoxious load of bull-squid WHY DID THEY BUFF IT???
(that L3 buff too, what the heck??? "It required some aim, it was bad lol" )
I swear, the Devs are intentionally breaking weapons, maybe trying to sway people to them initially, before reverting them back to a balanced state

Ah well <_>
It's not all bad I suppose
e-liter got a band aid to make it closer to hitscan, so cool I guess
and the carbon roller buff is a nice consolation for the current kit and predicted deco kit being mediocre at best.

I'm also unsure why they lowered the points needed for gold dynamo's special
instead of simply buffing the main weapons inking some. It's the reverse of what happened to the aerospray (but hey, there is some hope, since it seems they eventually reverted that change in this patch)

ALSO I figure I'll share the link for translation I'm reading
Kudos to Toadsili (only weapon buffs/nerfs translated though)

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So here are my opions on thenew patch
.52 rng buff is great imo since most times I was losing matchups I should normally not lose due to bullet rng, for example a splattershot pro right in front of me or a nzap in close range usually should at very least be trades normally but due to rng most times these player were 1 shot and I was splatted so I am glad
Plus the buff to baller and inkjet should make both these special feel very clunky after their subsequent nerfs...

L-3 is definitely going to see a rise in meta now it shoots faster and the special on both it's kits have been buffed, I will admit there felt like a big difference in their speed from salmon run to the other modes (or maybe I am just mashing a lot faster at a monster than a inkling) so maybe this will make feel a little more natural in game.
H-3 got a slight buff to jump shots making it slightly more effective but honestly it isn't all that bad to begin with the tenta missle buff should also help it out since it will allow you to be more mobile overall.

Carbon roller is great now you don't have to be ontop of a player in order to get that max vert swing, horizontal still need a slight buff but I think it should be slightly better (though will likely not overthrow the splatroller for a longggg time)

The Eliter buff is the one though I am the most excited about, if you are going to be in the recesses of the map it would be great if your target couldn't see the snipe coming a mile away, but more importantly it shows that nintendo is listening and will be taking a close look at how to improve the eliter (now get on those gloogas plz)

After playing it myself and seeing the buff I do think that the mini splatling will be seeing some spotlight in the next meta, it has always been pretty good just overshadowed and forgotten so this should be the push it needs to get into the spotlight.

The dulies squelchers though...they keep on being buffed, this weapon is already great, but now they have given it another buff to it's accuracy I can't wait to see how it plays and now with the tenta buff I don't we will ever see a stagnant dulie squelcher for longer than 3 seconds

Now my 2 complaints
1. The UC brella needs a better buff , seeing it be able to cover more make it good for map control (though it was already good at that) but it still doesn't address all the issues this weapon has like it's damage consistency and weak shield...hope it receives more buff soon but I am disappointed that this is what they decided to change

2. Beacons are now almost equally as effective at establishing vision as the ink mines..... it is a great and well need buff to prevent players from jumping into campers (wish this was in the first game), but again it makes me feel it has kinda taken over for the inkmine now

Overall though I am excited and can't wait to see what this patch will bring

the

Inkling Commander
I wonder if the carbon’s buff will cause it to overshadow the octobrush? If it becomes better at quick assassination than the octobrush, and they both have autobombs, then that inkjet buff had better be real good.

That’s all conjecture though, because the carbon might still be bad at killing.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Does the 25% buff only apply at full charge? If not, then it’s sort of like a buff to charge time since you’d shoot 25% longer at any given charge amount. I really hope that’s the case...
I hadn't thought about that actually. That would actually be useful...sort of.

By the way, am I the only one who finds the .52 much much easier to kill with than the .96? Not sure why they buffed the former and not the latter. Even taking into account that the .96 kills in two shots, I think it's too inconsistent atm.

Reactions: the

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom