Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It already sucks enough **** ******* ******** ***** that I have to quit in September.
Nobody's forcing you to quit in September. If you're really this upset about 'having' to quit, surely you can spare a dollar and 60 cents a month or whatever it is.

Not really. While both ocotlings(for the most part) and Ridley are both bad guys in their respective games, inklings and octolings are much more comparable to each other than Samus Aran and a giagantic-space-dragon-with-a-sick-mecha-form-theme-song are.
That's not my point. My point is that a certain group of fans of Smash/Splatoon keep thinking Ridley/Octolings is/are going to be added, think there's hints towards that, and defend the dumbest theories and rumors to 'prove' their point.
When Smash 4's roster was leaked, hell, when he was confirmed as a boss character, there were still people who thought they knew Ridley was going to be playable because all kinds of silly reasons, and when Splatoon 1 was already out for a year and the Sheldon's Picks volumes were out, there were still people who thought Octolings might become playable at one point.

When Smash 4 Switch/Smash 5/Splatoon 3 is announced, they'll come back with a vengeance with probably the same exact theories and hints they had before.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Plus, Marina is an octoling, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, she is nobody’s enemy.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@MINKUKEL I know jack diddly about playable Ridley rumors in smash. But there are very tiny shreds of truth behind the octoling theories, updates to octoling graphics in splat1. The inkling boy, girl and then oct, oct-boy character parameters in splat 2. Marina being a thing.
Aside from Marina, I agree that these all could be big group conspiracies/jokes made by dataminers. But it's a human tendency to latch onto small odds. I mean, look at well paying careers in theatre acting. It's as pipe dream as pipe dream can get, but people still clamor at it.

And I'll repeat myself,
I agree that playable octolings are not coming, no matter that the slimmest of odds exists.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
But Ridley is a raging space dragon who has only appeared as an enemy in Metroid. The only reason people wanted him playable in Smash is because there is no other notable Metroid character that could plausibly fill a spot.
Trust me, people had their own (twisted) logic, theories and hints regarding Ridley in Smash 4. And I'm sure we'll see plenty of that next time a Smash, whether that is a port or a Smash 5, is announced.

There were hints of friendly Octolings in Splatoon 1's credits and in the sequel Marina is a friendly Octoling with dialogue confirming that she's allowed to play in Turf Wars/Ranked. Pearl mentions wanting to change Inkopolis' name to Cephalopolis and during the NA December splatfest it's confirmed that there seem to be two versions of Christmas celebrated in Inkopolis (Squidmas and Octivus, or something like that). At least canon wise, there's not a lot reallllyyyyy stopping them from being playable.
Canon-wise, no. But Splatoon isn't a series that is based around story or lore in any way. Yes, they did a great way of making it a unique and somewhat consistent world. But just because it wouldn't get in the way of the canon doesn't make it any more or less likely. Not to mention dialogues aren't exactly consistent from one region to the other, they're giving translators a lot of freedom.

Even if they didn't want to make Octolings non-enemy characters there's more than enough backstory to work with where playable Octolings being enemies makes sense. Some people may be obnoxious about it but I also don't see them being playable completely ruled out.
Splatoon has such amazing character designs that it's sad to see them not doing much with it outside of making 500 different types of japan exclusive merch. Splatoon (3) really needs to expand the story/culture/etc. of it's world out instead of just giving us a hella basic tutorial mode, and playable Octolings would be the perfect way to do that
Octolings playable wouldn't really be a way to expand the lore, I think. But even if it was, it's a game that 1) is online multiplayer focused 2) is made by friggin' Nintendo 3) doesn't focus on story as it is and 4) is pretty light-hearted, so expanding lore would be quite pointless since everything is so 'fun' and tongue-in-cheek anyway. As I see it, there will never be more to the Splatoon world than the things we see in S1 and S2. Which, by the way, do a great way of setting up a believable and interesting world. Even more reason why Splatoon doesn't need to expand it universe.

Maybe some people would think it's nice (I sure don't), but I see no reason to believe that they would actually do it. But again, even if they did, that doesn't mean that has to be through playable Octolings.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I wish that they made every match inkling versus octoling. You pick your character for each, and you randomly get picked for one side or the other at the start of the match. That’s a missed opportunity to make the game more visually interesting.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I wish that they made every match inkling versus octoling. You pick your character for each, and you randomly get picked for one side or the other at the start of the match. That’s a missed opportunity to make the game more visually interesting.
Wish it wouldn't be but that would be an amazing final splatfest theme DID YOU HEAR THAT NINTENDO????????? (hint hint)

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
Wish it wouldn't be but that would be an amazing final splatfest theme DID YOU HEAR THAT NINTENDO????????? (hint hint)
So it'd be Pearl vs. Marina, and team Marina gets to be octolings... sounds legit

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
If Octolings ever get to become playable, they're going to have to make peace with the inklings. Which is something that would happen in a possible splatoon 3.

Just because if Octolings become playable, they will be on teams with inklings. Which makes the whole plot of splatoon 1 and 2 composed garbage.

Either that, or they give inklings and Octolings separate queues (which would be ridiculous).

Or the entire game would be without playable inklings. Which would be an upset to the community since they got rid of the "Woomies"

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Just because if Octolings become playable, they will be on teams with inklings. Which makes the whole plot of splatoon 1 and 2 composed garbage.
Don't worry, the splat Devs already did that

There are a bunch of squiddos watching and cheering on an oco-idol, not exactly enemy v. enemy behavior.

And of course there is the whole fact that Inklings are stealing tons of golden eggs from the Salmonids, whom are clearly sentient enough to trade with the octarians
who somehow still manage to have a band of their own with inkling fans

image on shirt closer up

*source is in game gear and the official JP splatoon twitter
I enjoy the silly world of splatoon, but I can only take it seriously to a short point now.

Last edited:

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
They could've also just made it a user-specific aesthetic. For example; let's say we both picked octoling as our choice at the beginning of the game. Well, if we ever got match agaisnt each other in a lobby; from my perspective you would be an inkling, and from your perspective I would be an inkling.

A good example of this is in The Last Of Us Factions; where you can pick to either be an Firefly or an Hunter and you have to fight against each other.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Nobody's forcing you to quit in September. If you're really this upset about 'having' to quit, surely you can spare a dollar and 60 cents a month or whatever it is.
The problem being is that Green alongside a sizeable chunk of the playerbase will stop playing once the paywall goes up, either because they don't want to pay or aren't interested in it anymore. If you have seen Gool's post about there being 1 League team active in the EU lobbies a while ago, you should see some problems.

The real concern is that if you live in the EU, you'll likely only pay just to look at completely empty lobbies. You can probably get a game going in US and AU is close enough to JP to make games there feasible, but EU has no such luck.

And really none of this would've been a problem if we got global matchmaking back. none!

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah but global matchmaking would have enough of its own problems. I think if there's not enough people online you'll play against people outside of your region anyway, so it doesn't really need to be back I think.

I think that a lot of people are going to pay for the online subscribtion whether or not they play Splatoon. Depends on what it exactly is, of course, but looking at the low price and how it's something that most people will probably either use or see a sort-of-mandatory part of the system, I don't think a significant drop-off will occur thanks to it.

If a drop-off occurs it's more likely thanks to the fact that updates will have stopped by then.

Now, a paywall might influence people who've lost interest in the game to stop playing it, but the paywall isn't a Splatoon 2 specific thing. As long as you have the subscribtion for any reason whatsoever, you can continue playing. Not to mention people still played Splatoon 1 well over a year of release, and that was on the Wii U with its abysmal sales. Surely enough Switch owners will pay for online to keep a healthy playerbase up.

Besides, why make up your mind now on whether or not you're still interested in the game at that point? Who knows what'll happen in September. People who might be talking about quitting in September now might still play the game ever week by that time. Hell, we might even see more updates after that. I'm not gonna let 2 bucks a month stop me from playing the game, but maybe I won't be into it anymore come September! Maybe we'll have another big online title around that time (Smash? Metroid Prime 4 with online? Pokémon? Probably not the latter), who knows.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
And of course there is the whole fact that Inklings are stealing tons of golden eggs from the Salmonids, whom are clearly sentient enough to trade with the octarians
who somehow still manage to have a band of their own with inkling fans
That looks like Omega - 3, which is the band that plays during Salmon Run.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Unless it's some kind of special mode, which at this point is not going to be made for Splatoon 2 anymore, Octolings are never going to be playable. It's Splatoon's equivalent of playable Ridley.
I don't think it is at all. Ridley is a character that Sakurai, literally the word of god, to be playable due to his size. (For those intereted, I reccommend Source Gaming's discussion on this https://sourcegaming.info/2016/10/10/is-ridley-too-big-for-smash/) The Octolings are literally a model swap using the same base as the Inklings, and have some level of evidence of being actually considered due to the datamined information that was dug up back at launch.
Maybe that’ll be a feature post-paid online to keep people playing the game.
I found this highly likely. It will absolutely drive sales, and frankly I believe they are going to need a gimmick like this to keep the regular causal crowd (not us diehards) playing the game online. I also believe the Octo Armour will be available as aa My Nintendo Reward to promote that service's upcoming Switch rewards.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I know Sakurai said that, but some people STILL thought he was gonna become playable. Hell, I've heard them mantain so when Ridley was alreayd announced as a boss in the Wii U version. One of their favorite things to repeat was the quote where Sakurai said he wouldn't put in Villager during the Brawl era.

Believe me, these people were desperately hanging on to whatever stupid logic and rumor was the flavor of the week. Gotta give them credit for their persistence I guess?

Now, playable Octolings aren't nearly as far-fetched as playable Ridley. However, it's similar in that people are willing to belive anything if it points towards what they want. It might happen, but it's not going to happen in Splatoon 2, and it's not going to happen in the way fans want it to happen.

Last edited:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Blah blah, paid online BLAH!
Stop talking about it until we get more official news, please!
you dogmatically love it
or dogmatically reject it-
WHO CARES?!?

ONE HUNDRED EGGS!!!

YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
So I guess all waves 30+ eggs is easy for you... you just averaged 39. What was the run like?

(Don’t misinterpret my seemingly calm post. Inside I’m like WUT HOW U DO THAT???!!!!1!!1!!1!1!

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Short version is
all 3 waves were hightide
nigh constant splating
(when you're not splatting salmonids, you're recharging ink to throw a splat bomb or shoot more ink)
each of us were ALWAYS on our way to splatting a boss, grabbing a golden egg, or returning an egg to the basket. NO BREAKS! REEEEEEEEEEEEE

It was all about splatting as many boss salmonids as possible
as close to the basket as possible

So on salmon smokeyard hightide? the non basket side is almost strictly off-limits.
I went over once to splat a stinger and that was it(just one egg grabbed, ain't got no time to go back for the other 2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom