Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Also worth noting is something people tend to forget: This is an online competitive game, nothing is set in stone. The recent Splat Zones post was a mock-up with the wrong weapons on the UI and the loadouts shared recently aren't the same as the testfire, so for all we know even this tourney might not be indicative of the final product. I mean, it probably IS, but that's not completely certain.

That said, I think if you're consistently alive long enough for the sprinkler to run dry, you're either a sniper hiding in the back or doing it wrong :P

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Looks like we have new updates coming in about abilities...

Google Translate:
At the World Congress to be held in E3, the organizer picks up gears with basic 14 kinds of gear power from the gears that appear in Splatoon 2, and each player combines it to use it You.
Each gear is in the initial state, that is, it will be a battle in the state without additional gear power.
Google Translate:
Let me introduce some of the gear power.
This is "Special performance up".
As the name suggests, the performance of the special weapon equipped increases.
The changing performance is different for each special.
For example, in the case of "multi missile", the range of the cursor becomes wider and it becomes easier to lock many opponents.
Google Translate:
This is "Sub-performance up".
As the name implies, the performance of the equipped sub weapon will go up.
The changing performance is different for each sub.
For example, in the case of "splash bomb", it will be able to throw far away like "Bom flight distance up" in the previous work.
In the case of "trap" the range of effect will expand.
Google Translate:
This is "mitigating opponent ink influence."
It reduces the adverse effect when stepping on the opponent's ink.
It is similar to the previous "Safety Shoes", but this gear power may be attached to an athlete or a fuku, and may be added as an additional gear power by using a gear.
The range of coordination seems to broaden.
Google Translate:
This is "shortening the resurrection time".
You will be able to resurrect earlier than usual when you are knocked down continuously without being able to defeat your opponent.
In this way, there seems to be some change in the effect of the gear power which continues to appear from the previous work.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
I like these reworks, I want to know about stacking and diminishing returns. but that is just me.

I thought i would safe from Splatoon stuff until Tuesday when Nintendo shows off their stuff, Oh well.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Ah, looks like Splatoon US is begining to post their versions of the ability updates. Anyone care to post them here as they come? I'm afraid I can't keep up with it today unlike usual.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
This is "shortening the resurrection time".
You will be able to resurrect earlier than usual when you are knocked down continuously without being able to defeat your opponent.
In this way, there seems to be some change in the effect of the gear power which continues to appear from the previous work.
So if i'm reading this right, with this one your respawn time is reduced when you die without killing anyone. That seems pretty fair actually. The old quick respawn is coming back though since we've seen it in the splatoon test fire, so we'll need to know how the two compare.

Special Performance Up and Sub-Performance Up is freaking awesome. They're essentially better versions of special duration up and bomb range up in that they can be beneficial to all specials and subs.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
IMG_20170612_093727.jpg

In the upcoming Splatoon 2 World Inkling Invitational, a selection of 14 different types of Gear Abilities will be available, giving players some options. All abilities at E3 will be in their initial state. In other words, no gear sub abilities will be unlocked.

IMG_20170612_093736.jpg

Let’s introduce a few of the Gear Abilities. This is Special Power Up. As the name implies, this ability raises the performance of the equipped special weapon. For example, when used in conjunction with Tenta Missiles, the targeting reticule will be larger, making it easier to lock on to more opponents.

IMG_20170612_094721.jpg

This Gear Ability is called Sub Power Up. As the name implies, this ability increases the performance of an equipped sub weapon. How performance changes is contingent on which sub is being used. For example, when using Burst Bombs, it’s like the Bomb Range Up ability from the previous Splatoon game, so you’ll be able to throw bombs farther. With Ink Mines, the area of effect will be larger.

Source
*I'll edit this post as the rest are revealed
**Eh, nevermind. I'll just post them seperately.

Last edited:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
So if i'm reading this right, with this one your respawn time is reduced when you die without killing anyone. That seems pretty fair actually. The old quick respawn is coming back though since we've seen it in the splatoon test fire, so we'll need to know how the two compare.

Special Performance Up and Sub-Performance Up is freaking awesome. They're essentially better versions of special duration up and bomb range up in that they can be beneficial to all specials and subs.
I don't think there is an old Quick Respawn coming back. The 2 demos we've had so far were ones compiled in January and March (which was identical bar The Reef having geographical changes, Musselforge Fitness being playable and the Roller and Dualies swapping sub weapons), which was 3 months ago if you go by most recent build. Everything we've seen after that demo (starting with the Salmon Run and Amiibo tease) has only shown the double Squid icon for Quick Respawn, so they've updated the icon and changed the ability on how it works. The fact it has the same name as the original QR with one squid implies this is the tweaked version of the ability and will be the only Quick Respawn we'll see for Splatoon 2.

As for the ability itself, I am in favour of this change. From the vague information we have thus far my guess will be that you'll receive a minimal respawn timer boost when getting splats in between deaths, and the main effect of Quick Respawn cutting more time will only activate under the condition of getting no splats between deaths, with the effect getting greater the more you die without splatting another player. This is a good way to balance Quick Respawn as it'll be useful on the shorter ranged weapons (and weaker) weapons like Aerospray, Sploosh, Jr. etc. where they can go many respawns where they get no splats due to having to pull off risky flanks and ways of approaching the enemy, so they'll receive the buffs and be allowed to actively go for flanks (Sploosh really relies on those to succeed), whereas weapons that find it easy to splat every respawn will lose the benefits that the current Quick Respawn gives out (Luna, Tentatek, Zink Mini, Dynamo etc.) and those will feel the hurt more from it.

This is a good way of stopping the "Zombie" meta where people throw themselves in to stupid situations with weapons that can guarantee 2 splats in a trade nearly every time and come back in 2 seconds to do it again. This change is also going to help teams who lose a lot of map control where they have this equipped as they'll often get splatted as they leave spawn trying to get back to mid, and they can benefit from the increasingly faster respawn until they finally get a wipe and can push back. My only concern is people using this to cheese Tower Control yet again, because if a whole team stacks it they can quite easily have one person go for the splats whilst the other 3 jump to Tower and deliberately space out their deaths without killing someone to get fast respawns to jump back and spam push Tower again. We'll have to see how this one plays out though.

As for the other abilities that have been touched upon so far from SplatoonJP, I really like a lot of these and how they're making the abilities more useful for all weapons. Special Power Up will be interesting to see how it affects some of the weaker power attacks like Ink Storm and Sting Ray as well as others. I do like the idea of increasing your viewfinder on the Tenta Missiles, as that can make multi lock-ons easier for those key times when the pressure is needed. Sub Power Up is a great way of bringing back Bomb Range Up whilst giving buffs to the non-throwable subs like Ink Mines and Beakons. My concern is how this'll impact Splash Walls, as I don't want this to increase their resistance to attacks, because stacking enough will bring them a little too close to pre-nerf Walls in 1.

Ink Resistance is going to be interesting as a stackable too, as this is going to greatly reduce the effects of one main slot being used as it isn't a "use it and get the same strength forever". This could quite easily go from being one of the best abilities in the game to one of the worst, especially if too many slots need to be given to it to get enough of a boost to make it worthwhile. This becoming stackable as well as the possibility that Cold-Blooded will too is going to make builds a lot more interesting as we have far more contenders for perks on weapons, and still have the same 3 main/9 sub allowance, so I think the meta is going to be very interesting in this game.

As a final note, here's the ability list for what will be seen at E3 with the English names:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I don't think there is an old Quick Respawn coming back. The 2 demos we've had so far were ones compiled in January and March (which was identical bar The Reef having geographical changes, Musselforge Fitness being playable and the Roller and Dualies swapping sub weapons), which was 3 months ago if you go by most recent build. Everything we've seen after that demo (starting with the Salmon Run and Amiibo tease) has only shown the double Squid icon for Quick Respawn, so they've updated the icon and changed the ability on how it works. The fact it has the same name as the original QR with one squid implies this is the tweaked version of the ability and will be the only Quick Respawn we'll see for Splatoon 2.
I'm really hoping this is the case. I brought up the quick respawn from the demo because i know someone else would call me out on it if i didn't mention it:p

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
tumblr_orftp34Trr1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

This Gear Ability is Ink Resistance Up. It reduces damage taken and improves mobility when walking through enemy ink. This ability was in the first game, but it was restricted to shoes as a Main Ability. In Splatoon 2, this ability is now stackable (meaning you can equip multiple instances of the ability to make it stronger). It’s available on headwear and clothing, and can also be added as a sub ability. Think about the fashion-coordination possibilities!

38862305-ff29-4649-9a46-9e74f3f82d8d.jpg

This is the Quick Respawn ability. When you get splatted more than once without taking down any opponents, this lets you respawn faster than normal. This is a slight tweak on this ability’s function in the first game. I imagine some of the other returning abilities have been adjusted in kind.

Last edited:

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
*I'll edit this post as the rest are revealed
Thanks for the work, much appreciated. *Thumbs up*

I noticed that the ninja squid and stealth jump are not listed. The way it sounds seems to hint that these are the perks limited to E3, and that we'll be seeing a few more in final release that we're familiar with. I hope that to be the case anyway.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
So the new Quick Respawn will be less useful for trade-happy fighters and more useful for kamikaze support players like myself, hmmm?
11gk7qh.gif

Edit: Also I was completely right about Bomb Defense YAAAAAAY

Last edited:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Welp. That's the last of em. I am 100% A O K with quick respawn's change. It was horrible to deal with since enemies could trade, stealth jump and be back in the fray in no time at all, barely giving you a chance for a comeback unless you wipe out the whole team.

You can tell Splatoon developers have been paying really close attention to the fanbase and such with the changes they've been making and i love them for that.

Gah why's spla2n coming out when i'm about to start college :confused:
I just want to play untill my fingers get numb.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Quite interesting.

Conjuring ways to exploit these ability tweaks, some of which @Cyan and @Dessgeega pointed out:
  • Quick respawn with kamikaze objective or turfing focus in any mode
  • Splashdown radius with Special Power Up maybe? Throw in some Quick Super Jump and you're a blink-and-you-respawn woomy warhead of doom.
  • Sub Power Up your ink mines, maybe autobombs too, and you can almost single-handedly influence or stall the objective with that increased blast radius.
  • Ink Resistance Up, maybe add some Defense Up, and flank more stealthily... with a longer ranged weapon.
  • Sub Power Up... the sprinklers! MOAR IKNK!!1! (Personal favourite.) ^^;
But surely the dev team already recognised and likely exploits with gear stacking and adjusted the ROI accordingly... hopefully.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm having fun imagining the potential here! We know nothing of Bomb Defense Up besides that it exists, but that could be incredible. Increased defense against one specific attack type? Burst bomb-maining chargers might have something to fear as someone could potentially stack that ability and survive a tank's worth of burst bombs, or even (barely) walk away from a suction bomb! :D

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ok I'm done crying
Good point Ansible, what will sub power up do for sprinklers?
Longer throwing range?
Longer duration for the initial inking speed?
Even faster initial speed/fire rate?

OooooooOhohohoho! I like the thought of the last one!

I am curious of what is being done about damage up and defense up...

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
There is a small possibility that Damage Up and Defense Up are out. I just went looking and eagle-eyed commenters can correct me, but I've seen neither in any promo material so far. Both abilities are... contentious in the fanbase, to put it very politely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom