Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Explosher's kit is so disappointing. Sprinkler is meh, and this isn't the Slosher I wanted Bubble Blower on. Still it's a brand new Slosher so I'm looking forward to it. Might finally be able to justify putting Object Shredder to some use.

Sorella Tenta Brella keeps Curling Bomb rush unfortunately, but it should still be fun playing around with 2 sets of Walls.

Bamboozler MKIII brings us the first and only burst bomb rush. Worth it for that reason alone, but I'm not as good with the main weapon as I used to be, if I ever was good with it lel.

Ballpoint I don't have much to say on as I've hardly used Splatlings in this game. This weapon probably wont change that but I'll still give it a whirl.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Excellent, sly pun here.
That was indeed intended!

Also after looking at the Explosher footage it doesn't direct hit in the same way as the Sloshing Machine. A direct shot pierces through inklings for 50-55 dmg and can deal damage again from the explosion, a hit from which deals 35 dmg. This means it'll be harder to use in close combat as even when you get the direct you could still miss the explosion which is necessary to ensure a 2hko.

Also also, Object Shredder may indeed be very useful going by the Rapid Blaster Pro! The weapon does roughly the same damage in a single hit as the Explosher with a similarly slow firerate (so hopefully same damage multipliers), and Object Shredder lets the RBP pop bubbles in 2 hits instead of 3 otherwise. Hopefully this is also the case for Explosher!

Gaijin Gamer

Inkling
NNID
Alshuny007
Switch Friend Code
SW-7491-1185-6133
Excellent, sly pun here.
No offense to anyone, but I honestly don't believe that the Explosher will have much of an "oomph" as the Ballpoint Splatling.

That was indeed intended!

Also after looking at the Explosher footage it doesn't direct hit in the same way as the Sloshing Machine. A direct shot pierces through inklings for 50-55 dmg and can deal damage again from the explosion, a hit from which deals 35 dmg. This means it'll be harder to use in close combat as even when you get the direct you could still miss the explosion which is necessary to ensure a 2hko.

Also also, Object Shredder may indeed be very useful going by the Rapid Blaster Pro! The weapon does roughly the same damage in a single hit as the Explosher with a similarly slow firerate (so hopefully same damage multipliers), and Object Shredder lets the RBP pop bubbles in 2 hits instead of 3 otherwise. Hopefully this is also the case for Explosher!
You see, after reading this, It will only look like a fancy weapon with low damage, as opposed to your usual Sloshers.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
No offense to anyone, but I honestly don't believe that the Explosher will have much of an "oomph" as the Ballpoint Splatling.

You see, after reading this, It will only look like a fancy weapon with low damage, as opposed to your usual Sloshers.
Explosher's minimum damage is just 3 points lower than Sloshing Machine's minimum, still a 3hko at worst. Maximum damage is greater, direct + explosion = 85-90 dmg compared to Machine's 76 dmg on direct. Still 2hko at best, but more likely to finish off weakened foes. Then of course you have to factor in uber range + AOE, so I'm confident it'll be powerful.

Gaijin Gamer

Inkling
NNID
Alshuny007
Switch Friend Code
SW-7491-1185-6133
Explosher's minimum damage is just 3 points lower than Sloshing Machine's minimum, still a 3hko at worst. Maximum damage is greater, direct + explosion = 85-90 dmg compared to Machine's 76 dmg on direct. Still 2hko at best, but more likely to finish off weakened foes. Then of course you have to factor in uber range + AOE, so I'm confident it'll be powerful.
Oh right, I forgot about the Sloshers having an insane range that rivals that of chargers.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Been super busy lately but I thought I'd share my opinions and see what is good
got to rank X.....in clamblitz with the CE-liter 4k (ironically I despise this mode so much)

I am actually excited for the new slosher it seems to have a unique kit plus aoe making it a pretty entertaining weapon to experiment with
***Can I get a rec. On what gear to use

The tenta brella is going to be a close range supporting knightmare, if played right it can likely full hold a choke for a whole game....plus launch the brella and following it with curling bombs seems just meme worthy enough to work (would have liked ink armor since we are really lacking... but ok nintendo I trust you)

@Ansible the meme squad is ready to deploy awaiting orders

Ballpoint splatling looks to be a good zoning weapon with decent range a accurancy toxic mist forcing player out from cover, and inkjet for extra mobilty and aoe

The bamboozler kit looks pretty interesting the toxic mist will make it easier to follow up but will likely need alot of sub up to work....and burst bomb rush w/ toxic mist is nearly as scary as the carbon rollers new chicken rush

.....overall this seems like it is a fun release can't wait to try these weapons out

Also overheard ideas for a new brush so here are my ideas
Dulie brushes lacks the speedy dash of the other brushes but deals damage as it rolls and covers quicker
Or
Brush staff a duel sided brush (darth maul style) that can spin the ink brush around to cover ink...

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
.....Yes I am double posting just accidentally found a new technique possible with the new slosher

Direct with this weapon deal 55 dmg., indirect deal 35dmg
However there seems to be either a bug or maybe an expoit in the mechanics

By aiming slightly off center of the target (aiming for around the top or bottom corner while still on the target) you can connect both the direct and splash damage, this combined with the ink vulnerability deals a whooping 90 damage

Might take time to actually do effectively in game but this could be a really cool advanced technique if you can do it consistently

Now we just need a name....

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
New Albacore Hotel may not be my precious Mahi Mahi Resort *holds back tears* but... but it'll have to do for now. *wipes eyes*

@Saber, I should be good to go next weekend if anyone wants to join us. Otherwise I'm also up for Tenta Twin Team meme as well. lol

I've gotten way too comfortable using curling bombs with the Bamboozler MKI because the MKII feels really slow when having to travel like a pleb the old-fashioned way. But if you trust in your aim it's a good hunter setup as your range can reach about the full radius of your furthest toxic mist cloud and burst bomb throw. And even with four mains worth of sub power up you can almost reach the center of your furthest toxic mist cloud.

Tenta Sorella I find amusing and hope I don't find myself on the receiving end of a good one. Short of a Sting Ray counter at best, you can pitch camp somewhere, especially at a chokepoint, and just stay there. And working with even one teammate it can be wonderful in stopping or aiding a push. Clam Blitz Tenta x Tenta Sorella twin league is definitely worth trying/seeing for the lulz.

I'm sad that we won't have that weird, datamined, ink bubble slosher weapon, but I'm okay with this. I just wish there was some sort of confirmation to tell when I scored a direct hit like with the sloshing machines! Or at least a better confirmation when I scored both the direct and indirect hit for -90hp. It's especially tricky to use because the explosion hitbox is smaller than the ink radius, unlike a suction bomb where the hitbox is the size of its ink radius. @Saber, you have a clip on getting that max damage with the Explosher, please?

I'm liking the concept of the Ballpoint Splatling... but it's mechanics is requires changing so much of what I'm use to with the other splatlings.
  • "Why am I not shooting anything?! It was shooting just a second ago?! OH!!—" *let's go of button*
  • "Okay, I got this charge, recharge, constant fire thing down but how much ink—" *empties tank while running over to stop a push, team is wiped*
  • "So I can just stop firing by pressing the button instead of going into squid/octo form? Cool!" *fails due to muscle memory*
But who would win in a pure run speed foot race between the ballpoint and mini/zimi?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
The Explosher's bullets appear to be able to pierce through target similar to the Grizzco Slosher.

And let's me say, the ability to pierce through targets was something I was not expecting out of the Explosher.

A direct hit with the bullet will deal 55 damage while the explosion deals 35. Direct hits are simply if a target it hit directly by the projectile thrown, the explosion will only occur once the projectile has hit a solid surface.

The interesting thing about this is with proper spacing or against somebody up against a wall, it is possible to deal both direct and indirect damage, which totals to 90.

Beyond that, given how powerful the Grizzco Slosher is in Salmon Run, given this weapons shares its piercing ability, this might actually turn out to be equally as powerful in Salmon Run, given its piercing properties are a god sent. Now lies the question, can this thing do direct damage to armored bosses?

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
.....Yes I am double posting just accidentally found a new technique possible with the new slosher

By aiming slightly off center of the target (aiming for around the top or bottom corner while still on the target) you can connect both the direct and splash damage, this combined with the ink vulnerability deals a whooping 90 damage

Might take time to actually do effectively in game but this could be a really cool advanced technique if you can do it consistently

It's not a bug, and you can see it as an exploit, but since the Explosher can pierce through multiple targets (Infinte pierce? Someone test please) and explode when it hits something, it does 55 damage for hitting the opponent and then does 35 when it hits the ground, so 55 + 35 = 90. It's really hard to pull off because you have to either aim well or use the arcing to your advantage, so only skilled players would probably use it effectively.

EDIT: Call it "Rainmaker shot" or "Bursted?"

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
New Albacore Hotel may not be my precious Mahi Mahi Resort *holds back tears* but... but it'll have to do for now. *wipes eyes*

@Saber, I should be good to go next weekend if anyone wants to join us. Otherwise I'm also up for Tenta Twin Team meme as well. lol

I've gotten way too comfortable using curling bombs with the Bamboozler MKI because the MKII feels really slow when having to travel like a pleb the old-fashioned way. But if you trust in your aim it's a good hunter setup as your range can reach about the full radius of your furthest toxic mist cloud and burst bomb throw. And even with four mains worth of sub power up you can almost reach the center of your furthest toxic mist cloud.

Tenta Sorella I find amusing and hope I don't find myself on the receiving end of a good one. Short of a Sting Ray counter at best, you can pitch camp somewhere, especially at a chokepoint, and just stay there. And working with even one teammate it can be wonderful in stopping or aiding a push. Clam Blitz Tenta x Tenta Sorella twin league is definitely worth trying/seeing for the lulz.

I'm sad that we won't have that weird, datamined, ink bubble slosher weapon, but I'm okay with this. I just wish there was some sort of confirmation to tell when I scored a direct hit like with the sloshing machines! Or at least a better confirmation when I scored both the direct and indirect hit for -90hp. It's especially tricky to use because the explosion hitbox is smaller than the ink radius, unlike a suction bomb where the hitbox is the size of its ink radius. @Saber, you have a clip on getting that max damage with the Explosher, please?

I'm liking the concept of the Ballpoint Splatling... but it's mechanics is requires changing so much of what I'm use to with the other splatlings.
  • "Why am I not shooting anything?! It was shooting just a second ago?! OH!!—" *let's go of button*
  • "Okay, I got this charge, recharge, constant fire thing down but how much ink—" *empties tank while running over to stop a push, team is wiped*
  • "So I can just stop firing by pressing the button instead of going into squid/octo form? Cool!" *fails due to muscle memory*
But who would win in a pure run speed foot race between the ballpoint and mini/zimi?

Yeah the max damage is indeed 90 (it was previous damaged by an indirect sprinkler causing the misread)
anyways here the clip of this exploit in action

Until I can figure out something better I gonna call this Pierce Bursting to save time

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
As expected, the Explosher is awesome! Enemy's on grates and Inkjets are definitely weaknesses for it, and in general it's slow, but it's fun and satisfying to use. Really not feeling the Sprinkler, this weapon paints surprising well, but I love Bubble Blower! Object Shredder doesn't reduce the minimum time to pop, Explosher still needs 2 directs, but I've been using it anyway and definitely feel the difference!

Not an exploit, Nintendo even showed this off themselves. Plus it'd be awkward for the heaviest Slosher to be the weakest one. Aiming low near their feet so the shot doesn't sail too far behind them should help get both hits more often.

Kai.E

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8062-1940-0630
the Ballpoint is a strange one to say the least.

For me, there's going to be a huge learning curve on how to get the rhythm going to be turfing at maximum power. but even so, the way it switches from short to long range is really weird. sometimes it seems to decide to go back to short range after I press the button, but other times it continues at full range.

but in the end, I kinda like it in an odd way...

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Uhh... I'm not sure if this was intended work like this or if it was an oversight that can be exploited, but the Ballpoint Splatling can still function fairly well even if you have no ink...

Was curious in testing room and I learned that even if you run out of ink, you can still continue recharging shots and the shots will still function at full power

You'll still get the slowed down charge as if you had low ink, but you can just keep recharging. You can essentially keep charging long ranged shots without needing to ever go into squid form, only penalty being a slowed down charge but since you're only charging second stage, all your shots will still have great range.

With other Splatlings the initial charge speed without ink is actually even slower at first, but also shots below a certain charge have less range, this isn't the case if you just keep recharging. You don't have to deal with the initial slower charge speed and the range remains consistent.

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Some unusual new stuff we got here.

The Ballpoint Splatling (I though everybody was just calling it that out of laziness but that's apparentely its name) has kind of a unique rhythm going on. It's actually a lot less tricky that I thought it'd be. Basically, if you ever play the Mini Splatling you'll be able to play this one easily. You can keep your 'stable' firing going for the majority of the time, to the point where I wonder why they even bothered to have the first few shots be spread out. Running some ISM on this basically turns this into a Mini Splatling offshoot, except I still think the Mini is better.

The Explosher is a lot more interesting to me.
It's slow and clunky, but the big spread of ink it causes can easily trap someone, and depending on the weapon that person is using, escaping might be hard. Sprinkler is completely idiotic on this weapon. It paints quickly enough, and with the recent Sprinkler nerf, the only use for the Sprinkler is to do some inking work for weapons who can't do that well. I'm quite surprised, overall, how well this weapon works.
The 90 dmg thing I'm not a big fan of, but thankfully the thing's too slow to pull something like that off in a match. Except it can still happen by accident, of course.
Also, I now finally have an excuse to learn how to use the Bubble Blower effectively. Previously, the only good weapons it was on were the Range Blaster and SS Pro, but those had vanilla kits that were too good, so why bother?

The Bamboozler Mk. II would be fun, except I have to re-learn the Bamboozler after not playing it for months, so it's not fun. I once considered the Bamboozler Mk. I one of my best weapons in this game, so how it got to that point...
Curling Bomb works much better for it than Toxic Mist, but Burst Bomb Launcher is fun I guess. Too bad it's stuck on the Bamboozler with Toxic Mist.
Also, if you like Burst Bomb Launcher, but don't like the Bamboozler, you'll never get to use it, which is a nice bit of bad game design that I hope they fix with some third kits.

The new stage I don't really care for. Theme-wise, it's a mix of Flounder's rooftops and Mahi Mahi's pool, except it just makes me wish either of those would return already.
got to rank X.....in clamblitz with the CE-liter 4k (ironically I despise this mode so much)
Then why did you play it to rank X?

Jagginator

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6478-7859-9273

The meme team Bamboozler is ready! Not having curling bombs is weird but I also can't live without the toxic mist since it makes dealing with substrafers and runspeed stackers so much easier.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@MINKUKEL
I played it in rotation had a perfect game and it jumped me up to rank X

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom