Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
The amiibo functionality looks pretty bland to me.

Where are my crossover items? Let me dress up as Mario or Link or Samus or Mega Man, hell or even Bayonetta.

Coricus

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4794-7152-2904
The amiibo functionality looks pretty bland to me.

Where are my crossover items? Let me dress up as Mario or Link or Samus or Mega Man, hell or even Bayonetta.
Apparently that's down to a lore thing according to one interview. They want the player to converse with the Amiibo and didn't think non-Inklings fit.

Crossover gear in general didn't sound likely the way they put it, but not completely impossible either. Something about "if someone manages to find a Mario hat while excavating human ruins."

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I overslept and missed watching it and so I just now managed to watch it
AAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHH
I NEED A SWITCH
I have a couple of screenshots but I don't think they're anything too useful ??

Pic 1: Is this stage new?
Pic 2: Spyke appears in the video where the duo performs
Pic 3: Actually pretty good so you can be like S+ in Splat Zones and C- in Rainmaker
Pic 4: Pre Launch splatfest Details

(The thing wanted to be uploaded out of order but I'm too lazy to try to reorder)

Attachments

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Help!!! I can't get over how good this song is and i've been listening to it non-stop and my ears crave a full version. And i didn't mind the song in the direct at first, but i really like it now. Marina's dance is so hypnotic (not to mention how good the camera work is). And pearl's grown on me.

I'm just gonna say it.
Off The Hook > Squid Sisters
Fight me in turf war squid (งಠ ͜ ʖಠ)ง

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Right-o, I guess I may as well share my reactions here.

• So we went from an awkward goth girl, 7-11 cashier, and racist fried shrimp to an old hippie, 1st-year Shakespeare ripoff, and a spider crab on crack. I approve of two, but... ugh, Jelfonzo's gonna take some getting used to.
  • Also Shella Fresh is an amazing pun, I'm surprised they got away with it.
  • Dear Christ they made Sheldon look even more like a Minion than before. Tell me I'm not the only one who sees it.
  • YES! They put moving targets in the testing range. Now I don't have to rely on my Inkling amiibo to practice my quickscopes. Danke schön, Nintendo.
  • A crayola blaster? Not what I was expecting. Seems like a decent alternative to the Luna.
  • I question the need for a roller with a quick horizontal swing but a laggy vertical one. They would combine the worst of the Dynamo and Carbon into one thing?
  • Glad to see that Squid Beakons are back, Here's to two more years of people forgetting they exist.
  • Separate ranks for each ranked mode? I suppose that's nice, but I'm **** at all of them anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference for me. XÞ
  • Remember how that one Inkling ranked up straight to A- from C+? I hope—nay, I pray—that doesn't happen often. That'll make things so much more hellish than they already are.
  • New abilities! I take it Thermal Ink is supposed to be a replacement for the Echolocator? Object Shredder seems useless outside of Rainmaker. There'd better be a trade-off for Respawn Punisher that I'm not seeing, because that looks incredibly pointless otherwise. And then we have Drop Roller, AKA a good alternate solution to the one thing I've bitched about the most.
  • Aww, they got rid of my Damage Up. How am I supposed to make my .52 Gal OP now?
  • I still find it kind of odd that they created an entirely new species for the game's Zombies/Firefight equivalent rather than re-use the Octarians. I wonder if that's something that'll ever get explained.
  • Ordering gear off of other people inn the Plaza looks to be either gone or obsolete with the Splatnet 2 app having the same function. Also voice chat.
  • The Octarian Campaign looks to be a solid two steps up from the first game's. For one, you don't need the Inkling amiibos to use different weapons, which is always a plus. Not to mention all the different mechanics and enemies they showed off.
  • Huh, the Octolings get their own spawn platforms now. Is this a sign that they
    will have decent AI this time around?
  • Don't ask me why, but I started thinking that they might abandon the continuous free update thing they pioneered back in 2015. They say these'll keep rolling for about a year; given how Splatoon 1's updates went, I could either agree or disagree. We'll see.
  • Not gonna lie, at first I thought Marie had found backup bandmates to fill in the void left by Callie. But a new duo works just as well, I guess.
  • Damn, so that makes two *ahem* black beauties *unahem* in two months from Nintendo. Color me entirely surprised.
  • And the Waifu Wars have flared up yet again...*sigh* Calling it right now, the last Splatfest will be either a repeat of the first last one but with the new duo, or else pit the old and new against each other.
  • Underwhelming Splatfest theme? And it's Splatoon 2's first? Never change, guys. I bet they'll have it so whatever you might earn from the Splatfest will carry over into the final game when it comes out. A bit cheap, but whatevs.

Final verdict: This'll be the longest two weeks in recent memory. Let's ****in' do this.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Help!!! I can't get over how good this song is and i've been listening to it non-stop and my ears crave a full version. And i didn't mind the song in the direct at first, but i really like it now. Marina's dance is so hypnotic (not to mention how good the camera work is). And pearl's grown on me.

I'm just gonna say it.
Off The Hook > Squid Sisters
Fight me in turf war squid (งಠ ͜ ʖಠ)ง
I love them because they really do fit the entire vibe for Splatoon 2, while Squid Sisters fitted for Splatoon 1.

And their music is both a bit refreshing, and addictive.

Live real-life performances, when?

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
And now for some bad news. I have still been unable to watch the Direct and it's really just not looking good in terms of when I will be able to see it. Hopefully that changes and I can see it sooner rather than later, but I really don't know. The video is loading, but I can't get any images (or sound) apart from the announcement image that says when the Direct will start. :(

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
And now for some bad news. I have still been unable to watch the Direct and it's really just not looking good in terms of when I will be able to see it. Hopefully that changes and I can see it sooner rather than later, but I really don't know. The video is loading, but I can't get any images (or sound) apart from the announcement image that says when the Direct will start. :(
Try this link instead, the one shared earlier seemed a little off.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It's a shame they didn't let the regular slosher keep burst bombs, there it's still not a guarantee but you can at least get some chance of a 2 shot hit that way. Additionally, if they had done that and upped the minimum burst bomb damage to 30 instead of 25, it'd be a guarantee on the regular slosher (assuming it's damage was still 70). With the tri-slosher's lower damage output, it makes it a poor candidate for the burst bombs as a viable one-two combo.
Without damage up I think I'd rather have Suction Bombs actually. Non-lethal hit does 30 dmg so combined with a Slosh hit is an exact 100 splat, though all it takes is one random Bomb Defense sub to ruin that, but at the same time Suction bombs can splat on their own and better force the opponent into bad positions making the kit less reliant on the combo.

Yeah, odd choices, Tri-Slosher with Burst Bombs and Slosher with Suction Bombs. So~ Sloshing Machine with Curling Bombs?

Odd kit choices for the bucket class and other returning weapons. Maybe part of the reason is to encourage veterans to adapt or evolve instead of us becoming entrenched and stagnant in old ways of thinking?

Whoo~ boy, imagine a Tri-Slosher with vanilla Carbon Roller burst-n-move style behaviour combined with natural slosher class abilities! @_@
Well in the case of the vanilla Slosher it's kind of a combination of the vanilla's special from the first game and the Soda's sub, so not super new in terms of strategys n playstyles, samething with most of the weapons actually, but you're right about the Tri, Burst Bombs do enhance it's movement aswell so that weapon is definitely different.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Also has anybody brought up that I think they showed off an entirely new weapon classes and a new special, the Splat Brella and the new special which is a bubble wand thing.

Splat Brella being what I can describe as a straight single hit mid-ranged shotgun with a shield and the bubble wand makes explosive ink bubbles which other teammates can detonate to cause a huge chain explosion.
I absolutely love it! It's just as silly as fighting with a Brush or Bucket hehe. It also looks very strong aswell! Like they demostrated, you can actually walk straight up to Chargers n other longer ranged weapons that's targeting you, something no other weapon can do without high risk of being splatted. It also looks like it'll have an easy Dynamo match-up, just put up the umbrella every time they try to swing! >:3

I'm hoping with the Bubble Wand you can detonate the bubbles yourself, you know, for them lonely solo queue players. :L

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
And i didn't mind the song in the direct at first, but i really like it now. Marina's dance is so hypnotic (not to mention how good the camera work is).
Probably doesn't help that her shorts/skirt(?) lights up too.

There'd better be a trade-off for Respawn Punisher that I'm not seeing, because that looks incredibly pointless otherwise.
I think they mentioned that it backfires if you're splatted. Taking a hit to both your respawn time and special meter. I should recheck that.

I still find it kind of odd that they created an entirely new species for the game's Zombies/Firefight equivalent rather than re-use the Octarians. I wonder if that's something that'll ever get explained.
Splatoon 3... salmonid pop idol waifu... uh... everyone has a kink but that won't be mine!

Damn, so that makes two *ahem* black beauties *unahem* in two months from Nintendo. Color me entirely surprised.
If I traveled back in time, mini-Ansible would tell me I'm full of squit, but presnt-Ansible is joyful all the same.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Try this link instead, the one shared earlier seemed a little off.
This worked! And while I currently don't have the time to give my full impressions, or update the lists (signal/service/internet sucks right now, everything will be updated within the week), I will say this...

JULY 21ST, SQUIDS!!!!!

GET *SPLAT!*ING HYPED!!!

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Been away for months and comeback to all this crazy new stuff. Nintendo definitely went above and beyond with splatoon 2, making sure we play for awhile. I'm liking the new weapon, specials and sub.Some of them I've been wanting in the first one so it's great see them now. Although some of the new abilities seem a little to powerful and the change to previous weapon sets seems weird, but we'll see how well everything works out eventually.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Seems like everyone forgot about the Japanese twitter in today's chaos. Most of the recent posts are repeats of what we already know, but this one bit's worth sharing:
"There are two types of festive matches: "solo" mode in which one person joins and automatically gathers friends, and "team" mode with four friends who voted for the same side. Solos are solo friends, teams are battle between teams. The final result will be judged by three victories, vote rate, winning percentage of solo, and team winning percentage. Which is winning?"
So you go in solo or with friends, 4-on-4, and those wins/losses are tallied seperately. That's fair. I was worried that teams of friends would decimate groups of random players, glad that isn't the case. Also, those icons are slick.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Seems like everyone forgot about the Japanese twitter in today's chaos. Most of the recent posts are repeats of what we already know, but this one bit's worth sharing:
"There are two types of festive matches: "solo" mode in which one person joins and automatically gathers friends, and "team" mode with four friends who voted for the same side. Solos are solo friends, teams are battle between teams. The final result will be judged by three victories, vote rate, winning percentage of solo, and team winning percentage. Which is winning?"
So you go in solo or with friends, 4-on-4, and those wins/losses are tallied seperately. That's fair. I was worried that teams of friends would decimate groups of random players, glad that isn't the case. Also, those icons are slick.
Thank COD for this! I was very disappointed this wasn't in the original, glad to see them add this option to make Splatfests even more enjoyable!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Thank COD for this! I was very disappointed this wasn't in the original, glad to see them add this option to make Splatfests even more enjoyable!
The trade-off being that while you get to play with friends, that also means you're going against other teams of friends, who tend to be coordinated and usually more competent. Splatfests are gonna be more vicious than ever :D

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Very noice! This should hopefully make Splatfest results less predictable now that there's another variable factoring in to the score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom