Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Here's hoping Piranha Pit Rainmaker has been improved! And that the Clam Blitz version won't be a mess.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I just realized something watching Dude video, the noteworthy players of certain weapons will also be recognized among the top 500 in rank X

Now there is a reason to be in rank X
:D:D:D

Top ten rank X gootube, flingza, tenta, (and hopefully squiffer) behind 7 other japanese player whoose names I can't pronounce @Goolloom and @Award

Though in all seriousness I do hope there is more of a reward for getting in the top 500 other than having a name on splatapp 2
Whether it be a recolor of your weapon, a wallpaper or theme for your switch, some kind of in game reward like a shirt (...maybe a dancing emote???)
It’s strange to me that we get in game rewards for SR by the dozens but they haven’t figured out that league and rank awards could be a huge motivator for keeping people grinding. Especially league. Each medal should have increasing rewards and 4p should have bigger awards than 2p.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787

Got an English confirmation for Camp Triggerfish and Piranha Pit. Both of them are returning at the end of April which would be a first in Splatoon history to have a double map drop. It's probably to help the devs "justify" the changes to Ranked as it'll automatically jump the map count to 19 as the 3.0.0 update hits. It's cool to see both return together (or within a week of each other), and I'm looking forward to Piranha Pit, which has some rather radical map changes for placement. I'll leave the link to the Japanese tweet from earlier as it has 2 pictures for each map here:

If they come out on my birthday, that will make 3 events that have happened on my birthday in the past few years. First the Mewtwo DLC in Smash 4 dropped on my birthday, then Mario Kart 8...

I wonder if my birthday has some sort of significance at Nintendo?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I guess the devs weren't quite sadistic enough to just drop Triggerfish by its own.
Though in all seriousness I do hope there is more of a reward for getting in the top 500 other than having a name on splatapp 2
Whether it be a recolor of your weapon, a wallpaper or theme for your switch, some kind of in game reward like a shirt (...maybe a dancing emote???)
It would be pretty terrible to hide that kind of stuff behind getting in that top 500.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
They just need to stop toying with us and hand over the blasted emotes already!

Anyway, I feel the rewards for league and leaderboards should be similar to the Salmon Run blood money loot: money, chunks, and tickets. Along with maybe ability swaps of regular clothes and super sea snails!

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
Guys, another player hacked in Octolings. Make sure to back up your save data, if you ****ing could.

I mean this isn't rare, with all the data miners and hackers running around. Geez remember the first one? I think it was NWplayer123 otherwise known as Nikki. That's the first one I remember.

But still, this is the first one I've seen for splat2

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Fake hack! She didn't go visit Marina!

Unless... *gasp* speaking to her would've compromised Marina's deep cover mission! Hmm... ¬¬

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Windstar Calm down, the person that did this octo hack is using the old version 1 of splatoon two, so they couldn't go online even if they wanted to.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Piranha Pit is great, but when is Ancho-V Games coming back :(

Cyan

Inkling Commander
We now have the english equivalent post regarding Rank X and Ver. 3.0.0, which you can read here:

https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/171864197472/we-just-received-a-detailed-report-from-our-hq

It’s pretty much in line with the translation fans on Reddit provided, but it corroborates the data of Ranked players. Sure it’s not the full image, but it means players eligible for X is in the region of 30’000-50’000. Not a great deal of players if the split heavily favours the US and Japan, which predictably leaves Europe with a tiny amount of players at the top ranks. People are clearly unhappy with the Ranked changes regarding rotations. It is a valid complaint, because 12 maps will be kicked from a mode every month once the next 3 are released, but you still have to consider cause and effect here.

Once Wahoo takes us to 20 maps there’ll be 380 ways each mode can combine with 2 maps. The devs logic appears to be a “we have 380 rotations to make these combinations happen but only 12 rotations in a day” and have decided it’s better to take us down to 8 maps per mode per month. That is a rather Nintendo way of dealing with issues, attempting to fix it by making it the same or worse (depending on your stance). This is entirely opinion based and preferential, so we need not waste time arguing back and forth now we’ve aired our opinions out now. With this combination you’ll have 56 combinations per mode per month, which is 1/7th of the end probability should Wahoo be the final map (which is all too likely). 12 rotations in a day splits each mode to 3 rotations. Adding 30 days’ worth of each map spits out 90 total rotations for these maps, giving 34 of the 56 rotations 2 occurences. Granted this ignores the fact not all modes appear with the same frequency every day, so some will get more than others. It’s logical, but people who prefer seeing everything will be left disappointed, even if it’ll be rare to see certain maps at a time you play anyway. It’s an attempt to give each map more screen time and share of the limelight, it might be a bit off the mark though, but I’ve made it clear I’m excited for the change.

Now for the final note I spotted which unravels the small and irrelevent mystery of the double map release. This info dump has stated map releases are moving to the end of each month (rather than the start) to align with new rank resets for X. Obviously the new update hits in April with the first Rank X season, so rather than push Piranha out at the start of April and waiting until the end of May for Triggerfish they’re delaying Piranha (the last map to releaseunder current rules) to the end of April and bringing Triggerfish to cheat and do a “here are your 2 maps for April and May without waiting 7 weeks for the 2nd”. Again a rather weird and inelegant solution, but this is Nintendo after all. The way this is worded makes me think we might see more maps post-Wahoo, but I still think exceeding 20 maps is going way too far for Splatoon.

Piranha Pit is great, but when is Ancho-V Games coming back :(
Sorry to break it to you but Ancho-V has way too many issues to be brought back. On Wii U it lagged in both ways, frame drops were rife and other players had worse lag than you saw in the other maps. The Switch version should handle the map at 60, but packet sizes were ridiculously large on Ancho-V due to moving the lifts everywhere on the map, meaning slower internet players lag worse and dc more and just leaves a mess of a map. There’s a chance it’ll come back but I firmly believe these 3 maps are the last.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Map availability is much more imortant than combinations of two maps though. I doubt that many people care about the latter. People are still gonna play a mode when there's one great and one 'merely' okay map.

As for map amount...20 is fine by me, but the more the better, obviously, and with the Octo DLC perhaps prolonging S2's life somewhat, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more than that.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
Wait a minute, we know Octo Expansion in coming in July, and Splatoon 2 released in July... If anyone recalls, in the Splatoon 2 direct, they confirmed that there would be a full year of updates.

So, if Octo Expansion is be released on July 21, (same day as the day Splatoon 2 was released.) it would be the thing that rounds out all the updates. Would they do this?

Probably.

[Edit] Obviously.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't think they ever said they would limit it to a year.

With the growing Switch playerbase and the fact that the DLC is coming, continuing content updates for the rest of the year might bring in some new sales for them. Maybe a handful of returning maps and some third variations or something.

I mean, I'm not gonna expect it, to not set myself up for dissapointment, but I'm not ruling it out either.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I don't think they ever said they would limit it to a year.

With the growing Switch playerbase and the fact that the DLC is coming, continuing content updates for the rest of the year might bring in some new sales for them. Maybe a handful of returning maps and some third variations or something.

I mean, I'm not gonna expect it, to not set myself up for dissapointment, but I'm not ruling it out either.
True. Though I'm not expecting it, it could happen. What they said in the direct could have been a minimum amount of updates.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Sorry to break it to you but Ancho-V has way too many issues to be brought back. On Wii U it lagged in both ways, frame drops were rife and other players had worse lag than you saw in the other maps. The Switch version should handle the map at 60, but packet sizes were ridiculously large on Ancho-V due to moving the lifts everywhere on the map, meaning slower internet players lag worse and dc more and just leaves a mess of a map. There’s a chance it’ll come back but I firmly believe these 3 maps are the last.
Whatever you say. Nothing is impeding Nintendo from reworking the map slightly and bringing it back. Also, a map having supposed problems on an older system doesn't mean it will have problems on the Switch.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I'm surprised that we haven't seen any stages with a particular gimmick to them, like Maki-Maki or Ancho-V in splatoon 1. Yeah, we got shifty station, but that's a Splatfest exclusive.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Map availability is much more imortant than combinations of two maps though. I doubt that many people care about the latter. People are still gonna play a mode when there's one great and one 'merely' okay map.
I care about this a lot, but not for map quality. Often, a weapon that works for me on one map doesn’t work for me on the other. I’ll skip a rotation at times if that’s the case — even if I love both maps.

Of course, this is an issue with not being able to choose your weapon once you see the map. It’s not really a rotation issue, exactly.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I'm a little confused. What are they changing with the map rotation again?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
It's Thursday, everyone. How about we wrongly guess (again) the new weapon of the week. I'm going with the tri-slosher alt. What do the rest of you have?

I'm a little confused. What are they changing with the map rotation again?
When 3.0 drops, only eight maps will be available in ranked mode every month, and then the maps will change every new month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom