Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I have some good news and some bad news:

The good news is the snippet of Chip Damage reaches its natural loop point (where it would return to the beginning and carry on as normal) before the song starts to fade out, and I have managed to create a quick extension of the song, not overly excessive, but enough to let you hear how the song will naturally sound in the game should this be the true loop point (it plays seamlessly but the part it loops might repeat less than it does here). Go nuts and listen as much as you want, Nintendo may react as normal and take down any re-uploads or extensions of this song (I put a watermark just to stop any people downloading the video and uploading it themselves, it's a bit bigger than it should be, but ah well :P):

The bad news is anyone who prefers Battery Full has to wait until the update hits to get the full loop, I can't hear anything in there that would enable me to create a seamless loop point, so it'd be extended but either just start to fade out or with a jarring jolt forwards, which wouldn't sound good at all.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Question -- did they remove that crazy jazz stuff from the game or have I just gotten so used to it that I don't notice it anymore? I loved that weird music.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Question -- did they remove that crazy jazz stuff from the game or have I just gotten so used to it that I don't notice it anymore? I loved that weird music.
The game is still chalk-full of the musical greatness that is Ink Theory.

Also, seeing Chirpy Chips back is great, and now we get to see them at their studio. (Hopefully we'll get Spattack now, right?I believe that was Chirpy Chips in S1.) Chirpy Chips has a great look, I love the fact that they're doing chip-tune with old consoles. The amount of work that goes into each fictional band of Splatoon and how they all have a unique sound and look is one of the things that really makes Splatoon stand out to me.

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Also I find the romantization of CDs hilarious.
Hunh? Is that a thing? Everybody's all over Vinyl these days (though CD sales are still about 3x, 4x as high). People usually are surprised I still collect CDs and I have to explain why I don't stream music.
Nowadays I only ever use CDs in my car when I'm feeling too lazy to pull music up on my phone (I have maybe 5 music CD's)... whereas when I was a kid, CDs were the only way to do anything, which is largely replaced by digital downloads. Even on my PlayStation, I own zero CDs for it.
Well, PS consoles stopped using CDs starting with the PS2.
If we're measuring by the century, I guess WWII and swing dancing are fairly modern
Well, what I mean is that this century isn't even two decades old. If we were living in 1999 I wouldn't use it as an argument.

It's more that they feel a bit out of place since most of it seems to be inspired by 80's/90's aesthetic. A console that was phased out in 2006 (with a controller that's still used) and CDs, which are still being used as well, feel out of place floating next to chunky DOS-era computers.

I'm not complaining though, and part of it is just me feeling like time goes by too quickly.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Uhh... What?
CDs =/= DVDs. DVDs have data packed more densely so they have greater storage; I think it's something like .8GB vs 4.5GB (single layer).

I still use CDs as well, although I burn them myself. (It's mostly video game soundtracks, lol.) The six CD changer in my car has all the music I'll ever need.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
@Spaceswitchmars I don't quite know how it works, even after reading it, but thank Christ they're getting rid of that S50 endless grind bs. That's already increased my confidence a fair bit.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
@Spaceswitchmars I don't quite know how it works, even after reading it, but thank Christ they're getting rid of that S50 endless grind bs. That's already increased my confidence a fair bit.
I took it to mean that it's a leaderboard system much like League, but you see where you rank after a month instead of after one map rotation. (This part, you probably already understood.)

If your power level is too low at the end of the month, you derank to S+ 9. If your power level gets reallly realllly realllly low DURING the month, you derank.

After each month, you start the power level calculation over.

It seems amazing. I wish they'd just do this for ranked overall and do away with letter ranks altogether.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
  • Up until now, generally, we have added 1 weapon a week. In the future, we plan to add several at the start of the month
  • From Ver.3.0.0 on, the stages that appear in each ranked mode will be restricted to a pool of about 8 stages, and the stage selection will change monthly at the same time when X Power resets. Stage selection for Regular (Turf War) and League matches will remain unchanged from the current state.
These are much more interesting to me than the whole X rank thing. First of all, I really like getting weekly updates, and this kind of ruins that aspect. But the second things is much, much worse than that. The same 8 stages for the entire month!? That means that I probably won't get to play some of my favorite SZ or CB stages for like 2 out of every 3 months by the time more maps have been added.
What a ****ing stupid change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom