• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
So I suppose that this may be a bit early, but what are these other *cough*cancer*cough* Kensa weapon kits?
I would personally opt for

Kensa Blaster: Burst Bomb Stingray; homage to the (very) ded datamined kit of the CRB
Kensa Brella: Toxic mist Inkjet; a more dictatorial/aggressive ver. of the Splat brella (I'd totally main it)
Kensa Slosher: Sploda can DBZ special
Kensa Splatling: Sploda can Ink Hammer?

Or, I'll probably be completely wrong and they'll all have the new subs and specials ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
As expected or latest Splatfest with the new rules is next week! Retro vs Modern. NoA & NoE regions.
Code:
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1040782254715412482

Last edited:

KiwiS

Inkling
Oh sweet! NoA and NoE together! So, modern will be obviousy more popular, so do you believe in the new splatfest system or will you go retro?x)
I'm a retro fan in gaming but modern fan in fashion so Marina it is.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This is the easiest Splatfest choice ever. Fashion-wise, nothing interesting has really happened since the early 90's. Music of today doesn't even compare to the good old days of the 60's-80's. Tech is all just a bunch of boring rectangles. Video games are still good today, but even then, I prefer older ones mostly, and a lot of newer games I like are retro-styled indies.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I never really lived in the 90s so I've never really known much about them beside this unpopular oppinion
Better music than 80s fight me

Besides, games nowadays are much better and the games of 80s and 90s are only truly enjoyable now because other people say so because they have massive nostalgia.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
the games of 80s and 90s are only truly enjoyable now because other people say so because they have massive nostalgia.
I'm pretty sure you're just trolling with that statement, but that has to be the worst take ever posted on Squidboards.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I'm pretty sure you're just trolling with that statement, but that has to be the worst take ever posted on Squidboards.
I wasn't trolling tbh. How so?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I wasn't trolling tbh. How so?
At least you can still play those games. "Live services" and online dependency and phone updates are going to render so many games unplayable in 5 years.

If you well and truly think there is no value in older video games, you're remarkably close-minded.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
At least you can still play those games. "Live services" and online dependency and phone updates are going to render so many games unplayable in 5 years.

If you well and truly think there is no value in older video games, you're remarkably close-minded.
How would phone upgrades effect playability of these games??? I'm not saying there is no value in older videogames, I respect that they were good then and that led to the continuation of the videogame franchise, but I'm just saying why play older games if not for nostalgia?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
How would phone upgrades effect playability of these games??? I'm not saying there is no value in older videogames, I respect that they were good then and that led to the continuation of the videogame franchise, but I'm just saying why play older games if not for nostalgia?
A great many mobile games have been rendered unplayable over the years due to hardware changes and software upgrades. Some developers update their games to keep them playable but there's a great many that just leave their titles to rot, and this will only happen more as time goes on. I recommend googling it.

As for playing old games... cause they're fun. Some games really are timeless, like Mega Man X and Super Metroid for a couple random examples. Older games also have no attachments - you load up the game, play until you have your fill, and turn it off. No online dependency, microtransactions, day one patches, or anything else. Just you and the game, which in itself has it's appeal.

Also, games really haven't changed all that much at the core. Strip away the graphics and the polish and many genres are still the same - I mean people play old Pokemon games because the actual gameplay's barely changed in decades.

I could go on for a while, but newer doesn't always mean better, which applies to a lot of things.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm not saying there is no value in older videogames, I respect that they were good then and that led to the continuation of the videogame franchise, but I'm just saying why play older games if not for nostalgia?
That implies that just because there's something newer, the older is obsolete.
Maybe that goes for some aspects in life, but for video games it doesn't. Super Mario Odyssey isn't the same experience as Super Mario Bros., DOOM '16 isn't the same experience as the original DOOM, Final Fantasy XV isn't the same experience as Final Fantasy I, etc etc.

People aren't playing old games out of nostalgia (well, they do some times), but because they're good games. You're missing out on tons and tons and tons of great experiences with an attitude like yours, mister.

Cephalobro

Picking modern, I prefer a lot of modern music and I prefer the modern style, while older games are great, there are many newer games that I prefer over older ones, like the Minish Cap over Link's Awakening, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe over Mario Kart 64, Pokemon Black and White 2 over Gold and Silver, Super Mario Galaxy over Super Mario Sunshine, I could go on but the list is pretty long as it is. Point being, older doesn't necessarily mean better either.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
A great many mobile games have been rendered unplayable over the years due to hardware changes and software upgrades. Some developers update their games to keep them playable but there's a great many that just leave their titles to rot, and this will only happen more as time goes on. I recommend googling it.
To this point, one of my favorite games of all time was the strategy game Greed Corps. I played it on PS3 first (as a PSN title) and then had it on my iPhone. Well, my PS3 broke and the company that made the game got bought by another company that went away from traditional games, so the phone version no longer got supported and won't download anymore on any phone. One of the best strategy games ever got lost to the digital age.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
To this point, one of my favorite games of all time was the strategy game Greed Corps. I played it on PS3 first (as a PSN title) and then had it on my iPhone. Well, my PS3 broke and the company that made the game got bought by another company that went away from traditional games, so the phone version no longer got supported and won't download anymore on any phone. One of the best strategy games ever got lost to the digital age.
Yeah, really. City of Heroes, the only MMO I ever got into and the place where I learned a whole lot of organizational skills, is lost forever because NCSoft shut it down and sues anyone who tries to get private servers running. I can still go back and play the games I grew up with, a whole lot of kids aren't going to be able to do the same.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Well, my interpretation of the question is more towards fashion.

So, I'm going modern.

Even with music. I like more "modern" music more, I DON'T like modern mainstream music, but a lot of the music I listen to is definitely stuff that isn't old school or retro.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Wow, this mildly escalated rather quickly. lol

I'm probably going Modern just for the ink color! It's the deciding factor because I actually like both—and not because I'm taking a Switzerland approach. :p

I've just always grown up and lived among a bunch of retro and modern stuff due to finances, multigenerational associations, and other people's tastes. So I can safely and honestly say... both retro and modern produce a lot of trash! lol

It's just easier to find retro "gems" because a lot of the crap—and even some gems—fell by the wayside for whatever reason or aren't as easily accessible as the gems. Moder'n anything meanwhile, the gems and crap are produced concurrently, are both easily accessible, and isn't old enough to gain the proper nostalgia lens. Or something like that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom