• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2's tickrate is only 16Hz

Shady Shaymin

Inkling
Is there at LEAST a chance they could buff the tick rate for ranked? Realistically if someone is tethering on handheld mode they'll probably just go into casual turf war mode. Ranked absolutely needs the better connection for consistency's sake. And chances are if you go on ranked your connection is pretty decent?

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I know nintendo wants to keep players a `solid` internet performance on the go in order to draw as much of a crowd as possibly.
But wiiu is considerably weaker then switch so ninten SCHOULD be able to give a solid internet at higher Hertz, even if you have a low connection.
(Though imo, you schouldn`t play multiplayer games online if you have bad internet connection and can do something about it).
And besides, in long term, splatoon 2 will probably end with alot more postive reception competitively instead of that `shooter with subpar servers`.
Wich is not really a good thing to market online multiplayer games with..
Thanks for sharing BTW, now i now the `lag` isn't actual lag.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
This comes to mind every time an opponent seemingly kills me in one hit. I can only hope Nintendo springs for servers, because this delay with the online service would really shoot them in the foot if they give people months to realize that THIS is what they'll be paying for. I imagine quite a few people would vote with their wallets right out the door. I know I would.
That explains a lot of my frustrations when engaging enemies in close range...

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
If this is what is causing me so much grief in regards to ink armor not crumbling when it should, tri sloshers and octobruhses killing me out of their supposed ranges, and the occasional extra hits to kill enemies, I would like this changed as soon as possible. I would gladly put my 20 dollars up early if it meant these issues could be fixed soon. This game deserves better than to be bogged down with internet errors like this.

Shady Shaymin

Inkling
This game deserves better than to be bogged down with internet errors like this.
Biggest thing here. This game is incredibly balanced and addictive and fun to watch. The potential is being wasted on ****ty choices from Nintendo. That's what triggers me the most when fanboys on Reddit justify this with "lol go play counterstrike, Spla2n is still casual fun"

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
You know, I think this is why the L-3 feels so strong in this game. because every other rapid fire shooter feels like the shots never register, but the shots on the L-3 always register cos of the bursting. Holy cow, it's like a revelation. It all makes sense now! Well that kinda makes me a bit sad, because I thought they buffed the nozzlenose's in this game, but I guess similar weapons are just in a bad spot. Well, I guess I'll use this time to be a hipster and continue using the L-3, lol. Sorry Dapples, sorry Enperries, I promise I'll come back if they fix the tickrate. :(

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Biggest thing here. This game is incredibly balanced and addictive and fun to watch. The potential is being wasted on ****ty choices from Nintendo. That's what triggers me the most when fanboys on Reddit justify this with "lol go play counterstrike, Spla2n is still casual fun"
When even casual splatoon 2 manages to screw you over because of the horribly low tickrate (splatling main, i've gotten cheated out of so many splats it's downright unbearable. and the times where i needed to fight in close range ALWAYS results in a trade because I land 3x as many shots as I need to get a splat, but they survive cos the game just doesnt register them!), it's becoming a problem that REALLY needs addressing. No amount of fanboy apologists going "EVERYTHING IS FINE!" will change that. Besides, looking at the reddit thread for this same topic, people are just as unhappy as us. At least that's what I remember from yesterday.

GamemasterTom

Full Squid
NNID
GM-Tom
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i've read in some places that the original game started with 15Hz of tickrate, and later it was updated to 24Hz. I can't find any info to confirm that, though.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Well, at least they improved the tick rate since the first test fire back in March. (I believe it was pulling 12.5 Hz back then.) Despite this, this is just stupid. I appreciate that Nintendo made the matchmaking more strict to provide better quality matches, but c'mon, it is 2017.

I quit playing the first game because I ended up getting frustrated at the poor online of the first game. I really don't want that to happen again.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
But looking at the game from only the competitive viewpoint is totally unfair to the thousands of players who spent £50/$50 on this game and lose access to playing it because their connections can no longer handle the demand from a higher tickrate.
BLESS you.

We're trapped on satellite internet where we live. Couldn't even play Splatoon 1 9/10 times we booted up the woo since we'd moved up here. Splat2, though? I can stay connected, I can play. Dedicated servers would be nice, but considering what they're going to be charging for the subscription service, even if they don't move to that I'll still pay for it.

Padre

Pro Squid
So anyone who couldnt play the game because of this? :)

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
So anyone who couldnt play the game because of this? :)
It doesnt render the game unplayable, but it certainly shapes the way the game can be played seriously, and can ruin a lot of rapid fire weapons in all scenarios. It also makes Sting Ray feel like total trash and Ink Armor feel like an unstoppable force of nature.

also holy cow, 70 guests. Hello!

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Funny how you say it ruins rapid-fire weapons. I've seen this go in both directions approximately equally: I've hit opponents as many as 5 times with a Splattershot before splatting them, but I've also been one-shotted by them often (and once even by an Aerospray).

It was especially "interesting" during splatfest. I had lots of disconnections, but only at the end of a match. Several times I got the results screen but no rewards. Once I got the Splatfest XP reward but not cash or item XP. The best was when it apparently timed out in the middle of adding up my XP and it just kept counting higher and higher, taking me from just below level 18 to nearly level 19! I was very disappointed to see that I didn't actually keep all that XP; I was level 17 again for the next match.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Funny how you say it ruins rapid-fire weapons. I've seen this go in both directions approximately equally: I've hit opponents as many as 5 times with a Splattershot before splatting them, but I've also been one-shotted by them often (and once even by an Aerospray).
I've had this experience many times too, where it would just feel like I would get one shotted by a Splattershot at full health. it's REALLY frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom