• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2's tickrate is only 16Hz

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Funny how you say it ruins rapid-fire weapons. I've seen this go in both directions approximately equally: I've hit opponents as many as 5 times with a Splattershot before splatting them, but I've also been one-shotted by them often (and once even by an Aerospray).
That's how the wonky hit registration works in this game. The attacker sees the actual number of hits, the victim does not, and then that's exacerbated by needing supposed additional hits because some didn't register. It's kinda ridiculous.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Nintendo won't be changing the tickrate. Switch is being touted as a home console you can take on the go and they've put emphasis on the idea of tethering your Switch to your phone as a portable hotspot and using the (very terrible) Switch Online App for communicating with friends. That plus increasing the tickrate will put many more people at risk of disconnecting, as not everywhere has great internet speeds or can afford the high costs of fibre broadband. Nintendo's main target will be the broader casual audience, and they won't want to alienate that to please the minority (which are competitive players). They aren't interested in eSports, as their NintendoVS Twitter says clearly that it's "social competitive gaming", so they'll probably have occasional competitive tournaments to advertise and promote their games like they did at this year's E3. Their online was never going to be worth the asking price as it's all Peer-to-Peer which is far cheaper than dedicated servers and has little impact on Ninty's outgoing costs. Increasing tickrate will fix some issues whilst adding more, more strain on people's internet connections puts higher risks of dropped packets, leading to more lag and spontaneously exploding halfway across the map as the game lumps the packets into the next data transmission.

I won't excuse Nintendo and their shoddy online, because Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a broken mess online, but Splatoon 2 has been mostly an improvement and step up for me. There have still been laggy matches and players, but not even the best netcode and online will fix that. The tickrate being low is definitely causing some questionable splats where someone kills you in 1 or 2 hits when their weapon has a higher hit to kill requirement, and yes being killed from outside enemy range or behind cover still happens, but mostly the lag has cleared up since 1, which could be being masked by the low ping connection requirement making matches more or less regionals. But looking at the game from only the competitive viewpoint is totally unfair to the thousands of players who spent £50/$50 on this game and lose access to playing it because their connections can no longer handle the demand from a higher tickrate. I honestly don't think Nintendo cares for eSports, and they're only using it to fuel their own means of promoting their games. Besides, LAN play exists now and will be used for local events and tourneys, but the online will still be questionable at times. Just one of those things you'll have to deal with considering Nintendo's complete incompetence at online, hasn't improved in 10 years and that's shocking, but it is what it is. Maybe we can get through to them and slightly improve the tickrate, but it won't magically jump up too high for their fear of alienating their family and children audience.
BLESS you.

We're trapped on satellite internet where we live. Couldn't even play Splatoon 1 9/10 times we booted up the woo since we'd moved up here. Splat2, though? I can stay connected, I can play. Dedicated servers would be nice, but considering what they're going to be charging for the subscription service, even if they don't move to that I'll still pay for it.
Nintendo said that they are marketing ARMS and Splatoon2 for eSports. The next bad thing is that there is not Host-Player which acts like a server, instead every switch sends the packets to every player. That leads to an enormous internet usage because your upload has to be able to hold that and you also getting every packet of all other players in the match. There is one Master that also handles things like Tower movement in TowerControl. Someone calculated that using dedicated Servers in Splatoon, just sending the buttons been pressed and increasing the tick rate to 60Hz would decrease the traffic by 40%. Also Splatoon2 is able to run a connection on 5mb/s up and down. Also yeah it is possible to play Splatoon2 with your mobil data with by using a personal hotspot from your handy. Too bad I can't help but playing with mobile data would work better for me.

Well this explains why I get a million hitmarkers with a Splatling, but the enemy is still able to escape or splat me. Also makes Ink Armor even stronger than it normally is. AND this also explains why the Sting Ray is such flaming garbage, cos the game literally cannot register the hits fast enough...Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Why is this a thing. Why are they doing this?
Because of the low tick rate sometime multiple shots have to be put into 1 packet which leads to a 1hit KO were the enemy has a weapon that requires 3-4 shots to kill...

Using a dedicated Server would improve so many things, but they must throw all the netcode of Splatoon away and rewrite it. I think chances are higher that they are doing this for Splatoon3 but when they already working on improving the netcode, it would mean that we might see the change in a patch later.

I am also wondering why the didn't choose to have to host player that acts like a server and to handle all that moving.

Kise Ryota

Inkster Jr.
I am also wondering why the didn't choose to have to host player that acts like a server and to handle all that moving.
I don't like p2p, but client/host is even worse in my opinion. It gives a ludicrous advantage to whoever is hosting the match. Besides it, we have that host migration too much. Between the two solutions I'll take the p2p all day.

The problem with Nintendo is that they don't like microtransactions, but if you analize every big competitive game, what you'll see is that all of them have they infraestructure (dedicated servers) paid by microtransactions (and not only that, but the tournaments prize pool and even players salary are paid this way too).

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
I assume this is the reason I can smack someone point blank in the face with a roller only to have them turn around and instantly kill me. It's super annoying to go through the effort to approach the opponent and land the hit, only for it to not register and you die. It's not the side hits of the roller either, I've recorded matches with it happening and went back to watch them, and sure enough they were center hits that didn't kill.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Maybe a little too unrelated, but I really feel at this point that Nintendo should just drop the paid online altogether in favor of just having the appeal of the VC Online Netflix thing, and put more focus on that. I don't see Nintendo being capable of making any huge improvements to this system within a year (if at all!) and it's clear they are still confused by online.

Paid P2P with little functionality, no built in global voice chat or party/invite system at all? Why even bother? VC games have much more appeal.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
...pardon me, but what exactly does 16Hz mean in this case? And if it's that horrible, what would be a more ideal number to reach?
I'm kind of echoing this? I don't really know much about Hz or what this means in the context of online play. People are talking about hitting issues and delays in registering opponents' movements and such, but I'm curious what number of Hz would alleviate this for those people.

I've never experienced any issues playing Splatoon 2 at all. I live in Tokyo so I'm always matched with players considerably close to me and I have fiber optic internet, so this is likely just a result of my circumstances. Fiber optic is very cheap in Japan and it has the largest install base, so this is probably a result of Nintendo's (ignorant) priority given to domestic players vs international, where fast internet is more expensive and players are further apart. The 16Hz probably works just fine for most Japanese players. But I guess to tie that back in with my reply to Flareth I really don't know what 16Hz even means in practice.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
I don't like p2p, but client/host is even worse in my opinion. It gives a ludicrous advantage to whoever is hosting the match. Besides it, we have that host migration too much. Between the two solutions I'll take the p2p all day.

The problem with Nintendo is that they don't like microtransactions, but if you analize every big competitive game, what you'll see is that all of them have they infraestructure (dedicated servers) paid by microtransactions (and not only that, but the tournaments prize pool and even players salary are paid this way too).
Well, you are right. Even if I can't think of something else then ping advantage but that host guy has seriously a 0ms ping. But a host would be better in local multiplayer. In Lan-local-multiplayer I would recommend when the host player is one of the spectators because that guy doesn't play and can use any kind of advantage. But in online multiplayer... A dedicated Server would be the only way to solve the connection problems.

Olly0014

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3755-4752-6987
Personally I don't really care about Splatoon 2's tickrate. If you're buying a Nintendo game, don't expect it to have the latest and greatest online speed or graphics. Personally, all I care about is that it's a fun game. Simple. That's all that really matters to me.

Shady Shaymin

Inkling
Personally I don't really care about Splatoon 2's tickrate. If you're buying a Nintendo game, don't expect it to have the latest and greatest online speed or graphics. Personally, all I care about is that it's a fun game. Simple. That's all that really matters to me.
But having a higher tick rate would make the online play more accurate, and therefore more fun.

Specs and fun are anything but mutually exclusive. Especially when unlike some other games like Mario Kart and Smash, the FOCUS of this game is online. We shouldn't have to lower our standards.

Olly0014

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3755-4752-6987
But having a higher tick rate would make the online play more accurate, and therefore more fun.

Specs and fun are anything but mutually exclusive. Especially when unlike some other games like Mario Kart and Smash, the FOCUS of this game is online. We shouldn't have to lower our standards.
The standards for Nintendo online multiplayer are very low, so far I have experienced no significant problems with the multiplayer for Splatoon 2. So for a Nintendo game, it's pretty good. It's up to my standards.

Shady Shaymin

Inkling
The standards for Nintendo online multiplayer are very low, so far I have experienced no significant problems with the multiplayer for Splatoon 2. So for a Nintendo game, it's pretty good. It's up to my standards.
I understand where you are coming from. Functionally, Splatoon 2 absolutely "works," especially compared to other online Nintendo games. It does the job it wants to do, but the job that it wants to do is flawed and problematic for players. There are very limited options for playing with friends, the lobbies are lackluster, and the tick rate makes the game unbalanced with hit detection.

All of these things are design choices, and they all "work" near flawlessly in the sense that they do what they're designed to do. The problem is that what they are designed to do isn't always intuitive or helpful. If that makes any sense.

Olly0014

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3755-4752-6987
I understand where you are coming from. Functionally, Splatoon 2 absolutely "works," especially compared to other online Nintendo games. It does the job it wants to do, but the job that it wants to do is flawed and problematic for players. There are very limited options for playing with friends, the lobbies are lackluster, and the tick rate makes the game unbalanced with hit detection.

All of these things are design choices, and they all "work" near flawlessly in the sense that they do what they're designed to do. The problem is that what they are designed to do isn't always intuitive or helpful. If that makes any sense.
Oh yeah, forgot about the playing with friends thing. That's my biggest concern with the game, they need to change it. However, it is irrelevant to this conversation about tickrates, so let's focus on that

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Nintendo said that they are marketing ARMS and Splatoon2 for eSports. The next bad thing is that there is not Host-Player which acts like a server, instead every switch sends the packets to every player. That leads to an enormous internet usage because your upload has to be able to hold that and you also getting every packet of all other players in the match. There is one Master that also handles things like Tower movement in TowerControl. Someone calculated that using dedicated Servers in Splatoon, just sending the buttons been pressed and increasing the tick rate to 60Hz would decrease the traffic by 40%. Also Splatoon2 is able to run a connection on 5mb/s up and down. Also yeah it is possible to play Splatoon2 with your mobil data with by using a personal hotspot from your handy. Too bad I can't help but playing with mobile data would work better for me.
Actually, we've been checking our data usage this month with an hour of Splat2 factored in, and it uses less data than Splat1 did. I only wish I could play on hotspot. My Switch will connect to it, but it's just enough to tell people I'm online, check the shops and such. Not actually to play :'D

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Actually, we've been checking our data usage this month with an hour of Splat2 factored in, and it uses less data than Splat1 did. I only wish I could play on hotspot. My Switch will connect to it, but it's just enough to tell people I'm online, check the shops and such. Not actually to play :'D
And I almost wish I could understand that better... I really lost sense for bad mobile Internet. Because my mobil Internet is way better than the Internet at home (Which starts being kinda bad [Not because it's getting slow but because the time were that was good is getting older and older]).

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
And I almost wish I could understand that better... I really lost sense for bad mobile Internet. Because my mobil Internet is way better than the Internet at home (Which starts being kinda bad [Not because it's getting slow but because the time were that was good is getting older and older]).
IDK what's "bad" and what's "good" either, my understanding is limited to "works" and "doesn't work" :'D
I can tell you it's T-Mobile 4GLTE...supposedly. I am however not in a majority-T-Mobile area. This is Verizon country, with AT&T a close second, if the phone's roaming options are to be believed. I fiddled with it and checked all the settings according to every walkthrough on the subject and the best I got in the lobby was simply not being able to connect to everyone else. That being said, though, as janky as our connection can get at home, it's done amazingly well so far with the Switch/Splat2 (roommate had some issues with MarioKart, but eh, squids take precedence here) as compared to the WiiU/Splat1. I made SURE to get a LAN adapter first chance I had, which gives us a leg up anyway =p

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
Perhaps my biggest WTF moment was when I was one-shot by the Stringray. No, no not the one in Salmon Run. Another player's Stingray in Turf Wars. Yes, really.

That being said this has been one of Nintendo's best online experiences for me. Then again, I'm used to games with some form of inherent lag. Final Fantasy XIV for example is designed to be played at 300ms. The server updates are so slow that if your spell takes 2.5s to cast you can actually start moving around again at around 2.3s and the spell will finish despite movement supposedly cancelling it. (Which players have adapted into their meta and called "Slide Casting")

So yes there's a bit of an experience disconnect between what is presented on your screen versus theirs. It feels like Splattershot's end me in one shot, but at the same time I'm sure some people feel the same about my Dualies. The same goes for the slower weapons. There are times where I just know I hit a guy point blank and he walks off as if nothing ever happened. Sometimes my dualies take 6 hits to kill instead of 4. It's not inkredibly fun, but it's better than I'm used to from Nintendo.

All that said, being a downgrade from Splat 1 is a bit inexcusable. Catch it up to Splat 1 and we're good. My online experience has been pretty solid, but I also have relatively great internet.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
I would say the same IF online gaming on switch would be free forever... but Nintendo wants us to pay for Matchmaking Servers.

Mr_Flapjack

Inkling
Being 2017 and Nintendo wanting to turn Splatoon 2 into an e-spot makes this unacceptable, however. It's passable, defiantly, I mean we can all still play for sure, but you can defiantly feel how bad the connection is at 16Hz with certain weapons.
Haha imagine if real life sports had frame rate/tick issues like this, you'd be watching boxing or something. Buddy KOs opponent, but life lags out and opponent just rolls away. Buddy's like, what? Then Buddy gets TKO'd out of nowhere. Opponent wins. Haha. That's a match I'd bet money in, fo sho.

But alas, tis not RL. It's a game.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
as a charger, the speed change in speed was instantly noticeable. i rarely hit opponents in S2 by aiming where they actually are. even aiming just in front of their movement (a necessity in S1, especially against carbons and splooshes) doesn't seem to hit too often -- i have to aim considerably ahead to where it feels totally wrong, and somehow i get the splat. then up-close combat is just kind of a mess with charges because uncharged shots already come out slow, meaning you kind of just have to shoot and hope you get lucky.

dying before i have a chance to react is not TERRIBLY new to me, but just today i was killed in one from full health by FALL-OFF DAMAGE from a splattershot pro. FALL-OFF. that ticked me off a bit.

they really need to do something, at least for ranked, because in competitive that is not ok.

maybe they'll up everything a bit when they implement the pay servers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom