• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2's tickrate is only 16Hz

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
I'm definitely a filthy casual whose only real exposure to online play and shooters is this game. Even I've had those "It didn't take this many hits to splat in the test range...." moments, rather often I might add. If I notice something isn't right, you know there's a problem.

SqidVishus

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0563-5067-5130
I always feel bad immediately after I get a kill when there are two or more hits registered on the opposing player when I wasn't even aiming directly at them. That guilty emotion is then suddenly replaced with the recollection of all of those times I was splatted with one hit from am Aerospray, by a player who wasn't even hitting me while my reticle was dead on them, or being splatted from afar and never even seeing the hits or ink on me at all and just suddenly exploding then seeing enemy ink all over the immediate area.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
If I notice something isn't right, you know there's a problem.
I agree with the rest of your post, but I would like to add that not every time you feel something was off, it actually was. A lot of times it can be a placebo, or even just a misread of a situation. I just figured I'd add it's good to keep aware of that, too. :p

ZephyrSonic

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ZephyrSonicU
The link seems dead and it was working before. Anyway to get it back up or?

Lightsteel

Inkling
NNID
Zerex89
Nintendo won't be changing the tickrate. Switch is being touted as a home console you can take on the go and they've put emphasis on the idea of tethering your Switch to your phone as a portable hotspot and using the (very terrible) Switch Online App for communicating with friends. That plus increasing the tickrate will put many more people at risk of disconnecting, as not everywhere has great internet speeds or can afford the high costs of fibre broadband. Nintendo's main target will be the broader casual audience, and they won't want to alienate that to please the minority (which are competitive players). They aren't interested in eSports, as their NintendoVS Twitter says clearly that it's "social competitive gaming", so they'll probably have occasional competitive tournaments to advertise and promote their games like they did at this year's E3. Their online was never going to be worth the asking price as it's all Peer-to-Peer which is far cheaper than dedicated servers and has little impact on Ninty's outgoing costs. Increasing tickrate will fix some issues whilst adding more, more strain on people's internet connections puts higher risks of dropped packets, leading to more lag and spontaneously exploding halfway across the map as the game lumps the packets into the next data transmission.

I won't excuse Nintendo and their shoddy online, because Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a broken mess online, but Splatoon 2 has been mostly an improvement and step up for me. There have still been laggy matches and players, but not even the best netcode and online will fix that. The tickrate being low is definitely causing some questionable splats where someone kills you in 1 or 2 hits when their weapon has a higher hit to kill requirement, and yes being killed from outside enemy range or behind cover still happens, but mostly the lag has cleared up since 1, which could be being masked by the low ping connection requirement making matches more or less regionals. But looking at the game from only the competitive viewpoint is totally unfair to the thousands of players who spent £50/$50 on this game and lose access to playing it because their connections can no longer handle the demand from a higher tickrate. I honestly don't think Nintendo cares for eSports, and they're only using it to fuel their own means of promoting their games. Besides, LAN play exists now and will be used for local events and tourneys, but the online will still be questionable at times. Just one of those things you'll have to deal with considering Nintendo's complete incompetence at online, hasn't improved in 10 years and that's shocking, but it is what it is. Maybe we can get through to them and slightly improve the tickrate, but it won't magically jump up too high for their fear of alienating their family and children audience.
I think a solution would be one of two things. 1 better internet people be allowed onto better servers and find others with decent internet as well just have multiple types of servers and be eligible for better ones with better internet. 2 maybe 5, 10$ a month for access to a "season" with ladders ways to make teams better servers competitive rule sets (if there are any for splatoon that's not just default) with a requirement of decent internet. Also I would like to put in some setting don't find me people/servers with more then, let's say 100 ping to me or the server. It would take longer to find games but I would get better games. In splatoon 1 I get in all but me Japanese people servers a lot and it's very laggy. I have more experience with 1 so I'll talk about that, my main lag experience is when my ink bullets or whatever you want to call them go right on the person and I can see the little splash or whatever on the player yet they take no damage. Some times with a .52 gal with 6 pwr ups versus a guy with 0 defense ups I see that thing on him 5 times and 1 bullet actually deals damage the others do nothing just fade our of exsistance. Some times I get killed behind walls or inkzookas that miss or charger tracer and shots that miss but more commonly my shots don't hit them when they go right on them.

Lightsteel

Inkling
NNID
Zerex89
...pardon me, but what exactly does 16Hz mean in this case? And if it's that horrible, what would be a more ideal number to reach?
It updates q6 times a second the higher the number the better in game like CSGO 64 tick is regarded as low and horrible people mainly play on 128 tick, 16 tick is embarrassing. Tick rate matters less in splatoon then CSGO because it's not histscan and many other reasons but 16 is still crazy low I would like to see at least 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom