1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Splatoon Amiibo = $10 Pay Wall for Content???

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by SpotterX4, May 19, 2015.

1. missingno

missingno Inkling Commander

NNID:
    missingno
    Whoah, what? That's a huge problem!

2. DaBoss

DaBoss Pro Squid

That's kind of how I view it. I don't care about figurines. I don't care about any hypothetical future content that will be associated with those figurines. I think amiibo is the worst kind of "on-disc DLC". I just want the content without getting a figurine and preferably without paying for it, but that's most likely not an option at all.

The content locked behind amiibo remind me of challenge modes in other games with a bonus unlocked for completing them. It really annoys me.

3. lightdasher

lightdasher Pro Squid

Source?

4. Agosta44

Agosta44 Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Agosta
    The real issue with amiibo is that people look at is as buying a figure to get content, when they should be looking at it as getting additional content for buying a figure.

We live in a pessimistic and entitled world so even though the levels included with amiibos are basically "use x weapon to complete y stage" people will still act like Nintendo is the devil. People are more than willing to go to war over digital clothes.

YesI'mTaco34 and Hope like this.
  5. missingno

NNID:
    missingno
    Well not everyone is interested in the figures and there's no other way to get the content. So from some people's point of view it is just $12.99 DLC. If they added the option to just the content separately for like $1 or so I think there'd be a lot less complaining.

6. Fightersword

Fightersword Good TOs are Capitalists
    Super Moderator

NNID:
    Fightersword
    from what I understand, the amiibo lets you play certain levels in Octovalley with different rules, meaning there's nothing new minus a different type of challenge. The gear you get will only bother me if it has an extremely good (set) skill line and makes the game unfair for those who haven't grinded luckily enough on other gear to compete. I doubt that that will be the case though.

I hate that this content is tied to these amiibos though. They tend to be annoyingly hard to get unless you preorder really fast when preorders go up.

7. ChainALM

ChainALM Senior Squid

NNID:
    ChainALM
    If they did that, then there'd be no point in the amiibo.
    Maybe if amiibo didn't exist they would do it that way, or we'd have an in game challenge mode, or the content was created as an excuse to have the amiibo as Nintendo is pushing this IP hard. It's hard to say, but if down the road those amiibo get made compatible with Smash, or Mario Kart, or some other IP they might have more "value", but right now they stand at 20 bonus, non story/main game missions plus rewards for 13 bucks per amiibo, so 60 missions for 39 bucks - Not entirely horrible given some other company's practises. Look at Batman Arkham Knight with it's 40 dollar season pass which does include story missions, or how Catwoman was locked out of Arkham City unless you pre-ordered.

People have been screaming at Nintendo for years to "get with the times". This is how they've chosen to go about it.
    Catch 22, can't win or lose regardless of what they do. Whether it works out long term is the gamble.

8. DonkaFjord

DonkaFjord Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    DonkaFjord
    I wouldn't say its a huge problem unless the weapons weren't balanced.
    The following is wrong, I was mistaken.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is just like other 'Branded' weapons in the game-
    The base weapon has the same stats but a different look, sub weapon, and special weapon.

#48 DonkaFjord, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  9. Inari

Inari Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    FlippingTables
    I kind of doubt the amiibo weapons will have unique sub-loadouts but we will see...I heard reviewers are getting amiibos to test soon so hopefully they can find out and share the info

10. DonkaFjord

NNID:
    DonkaFjord
    I just posted some images that appears to show just that. I mean there could always be another branded weapon that has the same sub and special but without the more unique visual, though.

11. Inari

Inari Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    FlippingTables
    There's no guarantee that the amiibo weapons will conform to the pattern of branded weapons we've seen in the shop. I just think that if they lock a unique weapon set behind an amiibo it would generate a lot of complaints since this is a competitive multiplayer game, not a single player game like Hyrule Warriors where it doesn't matter so much.

ChainALM likes this.
  12. missingno

NNID:
    missingno
    First people are saying that the figurine is the point and the content is just a bonus, then they say that there's no point in the figurine if you can buy the content separately. Which is it?

Ellocus likes this.
  13. YesI'mTaco34

YesI'mTaco34 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    YesImTaco
    That's pretty funny cause i seen way more fussing about the Amiibo on Hyrule Warriors board than the Splatoon board on Gamefaqs.

But really i think Nintendo kinda back themselves into a corner. If the Amiibo doesn't have good stuff on it than people we feel Rip-off or cheated. But if the Amiibo do have awesome stuff the people who don't want to buy the Amiibo but buys the game feels Rip-off. There really no Win - Win with the Amiibo support now someone is going to feel cheat ether way.

DonkaFjord likes this.
  14. DonkaFjord

NNID:
    DonkaFjord
    Pretty sure the 52 Gal Deco is the rhinestone-studded Amiibo weapon? I do understand what people are worried about since it is an online multiplayer focused game.
    I have my fingers crossed for an Amiibo-hub game revealed at E3 that gives every single Amiibo equal importance and makes each Amiibo feel worth the money especially since they will get more compatible games in the future and we already have a backlog of Amiibo compatible games.

Or better yet would be more unique NFC items- the Yoshi plush and the Animcal Crossing Cards unlocks a lot of potential.

15. YesI'mTaco34

YesI'mTaco34 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    YesImTaco
    Nintendo Amiibo chao garden would be the best thing ever

Ellocus likes this.
  16. Inari

Inari Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    FlippingTables
    The .52 Gal Deco is purchased in the weapon shop. I think the amiibo weapons are the ones shown in the images of the costumes found on the official Splatoon site, which show Hero versions of the charger, roller, and splattershot.

DonkaFjord likes this.
  17. DonkaFjord

NNID:
    DonkaFjord
    That makes a ton of sense, especially because it matches their challenges in Single player. I was thinking those were their weapons during the challenges in Single player only, but that wouldn't make sense for the Squid Amiibo.

18. Pusha

Pusha Inkling Cadet

Amiibo's main purpose is to make money, and thats what they're doing by giving you good amiibo-only content. I'm not particularly annoyed since the multiplayer is the main focus of the game and i wouldn't really miss that content if i choose not to buy the amiibos. Really, it's just a smart business decision by nintendo.

And i don't think there would've been an on-disc challenge mode, probably just more single player missions

19. Trieste Sp

Trieste Sp Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Honestly, I don't mind as long the 'content' just add something extra to the game.

20. lightdasher

lightdasher Pro Squid

I don't see how this is evidence that amiibo have locked unique weapons