• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Amiibo = $10 Pay Wall for Content???

Aegis

Senior Squid
NNID
ritzumii
I don't see how this is evidence that amiibo have locked unique weapons
I do not believe they do; it's unconfirmed and we'll have to wait until release date to really find out the answer. We only know of the actual clothings' stats and such.

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
First people are saying that the figurine is the point and the content is just a bonus, then they say that there's no point in the figurine if you can buy the content separately. Which is it?
For me? The figurine is nice, I mean seriously, they might just be the best looking amiibo yet. And the fact that it provides bonus content which could have been locked behind a season pass is the extra. In a way, with the amiibo set up, you get both a collector's item and the benefits it brings.
If you look at other toys and figures out there at a similar cost, they pretty much have one use only. The amiibo have lots more providing their use is expanded outside their core game as I said in the rest of my previous post. If they were going to offer the content to everyone, yeah, they might aswell not print the amiibo, but if the use of those amiibo is spread across multiple games, then it's worth it.

Sheanor

Inkling
NNID
Shean0r
I really like the Amiibo, I am a massive sucker for them.
People were complaining when they unlocked useless stuff and people complain when they're going to unlock content.
It's hard to make that balance, but you can share Amiibo! Its a £15 model and the content can be unlocked on any copy of the game. I've got several MK8 outfits I've got because I borrowed my friends models.

It does suck that not everyone will have access; we'll never know if the content would have been made without the amiibo. But I think its a much better 'paywall' than digital DLC because you can share it and you also get an awesome model.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
And the Splatoon amiibo don't look like they'll suffer the same fate as most of the Smash line, becoming ridiculously hard to ever find.

They look to be in steady supply.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
First people are saying that the figurine is the point and the content is just a bonus, then they say that there's no point in the figurine if you can buy the content separately. Which is it?
Im seriously confused by this too. The most common defense I see is that the content is just extra and it's a really cool figure, then when it's suggested that it not be exclusive to the figure then there's suddenly no point to the figure? What?

Honestly the main problem here is that the figures are a REQUIREMENT if you want the content. For people who already want the figures the content is a nice little bonus, but for those who want the content it has become an exponentially higher priced limited edition DLC.
Lets take Mario Kart 8 as an example. Costume DLC in games tend to average around $1 per costume. Amiibo costs $13 normally. Now for someone who didnt want the figure but would like the content it has become 13x the normal price for a costume. In Hyrule Warriors you need one of two specific amiibo to access the spinner moveset(which is pretty major content in a warriors game).

There at least should be a way to get the content normally outside the figures. They could still be bonuses that you get for free by owning the figures but others will have to pay for separately. It still acts as a bonus and still lets the people who want the content be able to get it. The cards could be a good alternative but they are still a good few months off and we dont know if every amiibo will have a card. :/

lightdasher

Pro Squid
And the Splatoon amiibo don't look like they'll suffer the same fate as most of the Smash line, becoming ridiculously hard to ever find.

They look to be in steady supply.
They'll probably start off like Luigi, Toad or Diddy did, start of hard to find, then become common

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I don't see how this is evidence that amiibo have locked unique weapons
I do not believe they do; it's unconfirmed and we'll have to wait until release date to really find out the answer. We only know of the actual clothings' stats and such.
It wasn't- @Inari corrected me that what Is howed wasn't the Amiibo Specific weapon. Im going to edit my previous post. Sorry about that.

Homer Fanboy

Inkling
NNID
iamagrocerybag
I've always been an avid amiibo supporter. I have 8 or so of em and have the Splatoon 3 pack pre-ordered. But I really can't defend the challenge mode being locked behind amiibo...

With Mario Party, lots of people like to say "1/3 of the game is locked" which is technically true, but that mode never would have existed if amiibo didn't exist. It's a special mode they designed for amiibo. So it's excusable.

With Splatoon, this mission mode seems pretty standard.. I'm sure it would have been included if amiibo didn't exist. But they're locking 60+ levels behind $35.

I understand you are paying for the figure. I love the figures. That's the main reason I buy amiibo. But for people who just want the full game and don't want what some would argue as "kid's toys", that totally sucks. They should offer the stuff as a download for people who don't want amiibo.

I love amiibo, but locking away a mode that should be in the full game just isn't okay. It's just as bad as any other company having day-one, on-disc DLC.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
With Mario Party, lots of people like to say "1/3 of the game is locked" which is technically true, but that mode never would have existed if amiibo didn't exist. It's a special mode they designed for amiibo. So it's excusable.
I have a very hard time believing that. When MP9 introduced the car, tons of people complained and asked for a classic mode. Amiibo Party is them listening to that complaint... and paywalling it. But to not include it all, when they know full well how controversial the car is, would've been insane. They're not that stupid. I'm sure they knew damn well what they were doing.

Sheanor

Inkling
NNID
Shean0r
There at least should be a way to get the content normally outside the figures.
I understand the price for them is pretty silly but the figures have unlimited usage and can be used by anyone. If you want the content but not the figure then why not find someone who is willing to let you scan the model? I know this isn't suitable for everyone but it's much better than other dlc methods where its one payment per account.

Wonder Blue

Inkling
NNID
Otasira
Well, I wouldn't really label it like that, dude. Amiibo themselves sell like hot cakes. Had they've been cards with content on them, no one would buy them.
Having a relatively detailed figurine at $13+ a pop while unlocking pretty cosmetic content is a deal with itself but only catering to those that treasure figures to an extent. For the Splatoon line, I wouldn't expect to find one for a long while as pre orders sell out in minutes and people tend to buy more than they need to trade, and or sell online at almost double to triple the base price.

It doesn't really effect the game in itself in the long run as it's just costume pieces that'll become irrelevant in the game's life span.

DDB

Senior Squid
NNID
Diddybound
The only Splatoon amiibo that looks sorta iffy on being common at the moment is the squid, and it'll probably be like the Mario in MP10.

Deru

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Derick
I'm pretty against day one DLC. But since I like collecting Amiibo, I was going to get the three pack regardless of content. Was kind of surprised when they were announced and as it turns out they are some of the best looking Amiibo yet, in my opinion.

I do get where people are coming from though in terms of the "paywall" lock. I feel as if the outfits themselves should be exclusive to the Amiibo, since it truly is purely cosmetic. The "challenge" missions though is a little weird to lock behind Amiibo, though. The way it works is you complete the missions and unlock parts of the outfits, right? If further down the line they were to release the missions as DLC with some type of reworked reward (maybe in-game currency/slot skills) I think it'd be nice. That way the people that aren't fans of collecting Amiibo don't have to miss out on a part of the game, cosmetic outfits not included of course.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
I understand the price for them is pretty silly but the figures have unlimited usage and can be used by anyone. If you want the content but not the figure then why not find someone who is willing to let you scan the model? I know this isn't suitable for everyone but it's much better than other dlc methods where its one payment per account.
They are also in limited supply. I cant find anyone within like a hundred miles who even has a Shulk or Fox amiibo nor find them for under $30 in most places. I would love to have that Fox costume in Mario Kart 8 but my only choice is to spend $30+ for it which is nuts :/
Then there's the problem of some amiibo content needing you to constantly tap them like Codename STEAM or Mario Party 10 so unless you actually own those amiibo(all the FE ones and Rosalina being stupidly rare) you have no consistent access to said content :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom