• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Amiibo = $10 Pay Wall for Content???

Just A. Hunch

Inkster Jr.
A weapon with unique looks, even if it is functionally the same as another weapon, could still be considered "exclusive." Not to say that I believe that's the case. I wouldn't be surprised if those weapons ended up being functionally unique. I just mean that I haven't seen anything that unambiguously states it to be so as of now.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
We've already seen a couple weapon reskins that offer different sub and special loadouts. I would bet these reskins work the same way.

SqueezedSquid

Squiddy
NNID
EiRRin
This isn't fully related but does anyone know when they are available in stores in the US? because I have enough money for three pack (or just both th inklings if I cant find the pack)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Amiibos are pretty much DLC in the shape of physical media. So yeah, the amiibos (not only the Splatoon ones) are pay walls for content. Sadly people love dem toys and will buy it regardless of how the success of amiibos affect the design of Nintendo games. I mean, so far one can argue none of the games released after amiibos have any meaningful content locked behind the toys*, but who is to say Nintendo is going to lock even more content behind amiibo in future games? I mean, why shouldn't them? That said, I did buy the Squid Girl amiibo so I can't really judge others for supporting amiibos anymore... I just wish the locked content were made available as regular (digital) DLC as well, perhaps a few months after the amiibo release, so people who live in places not named USA/Canada/Europe/Japan can have better chances of accessing the content.

*Which I disagree, since a whole game mode in Mario Party and multiplayer usable outfits + mini games in Splatoon seem to be pretty meaningful content to me.

DaBoss

Pro Squid
I may be mistaken here, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

While watching a stream, I think I saw what looked like the amiibo Splat Charger. It wasn't highlighted, so I couldn't see the stats, but I did see the sub and special weapons, and they are the same as the standard Splat Charger (Splat Bomb and Bomb Rush, respectively). So if the stats are the same as the standard Splat Charger, it would just be a reskin without any changes.

It looked like the Splat Bombs were using their single player look.

Unfortunately the stream did not enable archiving, so there is no past broadcast link.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Is it true that the non-Squid Jump 8-bit games are also locked behind amiibo? 'cause Squid Jump is pretty fun so if the other games are also fun, then that's a bummer.

I'd be marginally more fine with the Splatoon amiibo if I was confident in their supply.

Sheanor

Inkling
NNID
Shean0r
I really wish I could lend my Amiibo to anyone who needed them! I should have an amiibo party.

The cards coming out at some point should help alleviate the demand problems, then everyone can get what they want.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
The cards are for Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer. They've never said anything about cards that'll duplicate the functions of existing Amiibo.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Amiibos are pretty much DLC in the shape of physical media. So yeah, the amiibos (not only the Splatoon ones) are pay walls for content. Sadly people love dem toys and will buy it regardless of how the success of amiibos affect the design of Nintendo games. I mean, so far one can argue none of the games released after amiibos have any meaningful content locked behind the toys*, but who is to say Nintendo is going to lock even more content behind amiibo in future games? I mean, why shouldn't them? That said, I did buy the Squid Girl amiibo so I can't really judge others for supporting amiibos anymore... I just wish the locked content were made available as regular (digital) DLC as well, perhaps a few months after the amiibo release, so people who live in places not named USA/Canada/Europe/Japan can have better chances of accessing the content.

*Which I disagree, since a whole game mode in Mario Party and multiplayer usable outfits + mini games in Splatoon seem to be pretty meaningful content to me.
Yeah, I'd wish amiibos are just collectable figures without adding any additional content. But it is what it is. This whole amiibo thing has a lot of controversy behind them.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Yeah, I'd wish amiibos are just collectable figures without adding any additional content.
That would ruin the whole point of them, part of the appeal is the game compatibility.

I disagree with even cosmetic content being locked to amiibos from day 1. I wouldn't have as much of a problem if it weren't for dubious supply, but I'm intent on finding the 3-pack for all its merits anyhow. Having seen the figures in person I really want em.

Threevenge

Inkling
NNID
threevenge
Yeah, sometimes I wish day-one DLC was included with certain titles, but the thing is we aren't entitled to it. Games are business and the producer of the content can sell it however they wish. Nintendo has decided on using Amiibos and feel what they're asking is a reasonable price for their work. If you agree with them then buy it. If not, you aren't forced to.

If I didn't have a couple gift cards and my store discount I'd probably pass on getting the Amiibos but regret it later since availability for certain ones has been insane. For most console games I look at it this way: if I can get 1 hour of play for every dollar I spend, it's a worthwhile purchase (Steam is a completely different situation.... 659 titles....I let that get out of hand with Humble Bundle and similar deals :\ ) After the Testfire I feel confident I'd put in at least 100 hours so the Amiibos make sense to me and I can display them for my appreciation of the game.

The real draw for the Splatoon Amiibos for me are the mini-games. Squid Jump has been surprisingly addictive for many and I'd love to have a couple options of great little games while I wait for my next match.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Yeah, sometimes I wish day-one DLC was included with certain titles, but the thing is we aren't entitled to it. Games are business and the producer of the content can sell it however they wish. Nintendo has decided on using Amiibos and feel what they're asking is a reasonable price for their work. If you agree with them then buy it. If not, you aren't forced to.

If I didn't have a couple gift cards and my store discount I'd probably pass on getting the Amiibos but regret it later since availability for certain ones has been insane. For most console games I look at it this way: if I can get 1 hour of play for every dollar I spend, it's a worthwhile purchase (Steam is a completely different situation.... 659 titles....I let that get out of hand with Humble Bundle and similar deals :\ ) After the Testfire I feel confident I'd put in at least 100 hours so the Amiibos make sense to me and I can display them for my appreciation of the game.

The real draw for the Splatoon Amiibos for me are the mini-games. Squid Jump has been surprisingly addictive for many and I'd love to have a couple options of great little games while I wait for my next match.
Under normal circumstances, I agree with everything you said. (Especially $1=1hour)

...But since these are amiibo in particular, wot happens if they're not in stock as usual? <_<;

Also, FYI: Nintendo insists on "amiibo" not being capitalised. Even to start a sentence.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
There's videos of the amiibo unlocked Hero charger now. The loadout and stats look exactly the same as the standard splat charger.
Seen at 4:12 in this video, he even flips to it in the shop from the standard splat charger so you see that nothing changes except for the appearance.

Minor spoiler warning: toward the beginning of the video, the amiibo challenge menu shows icons of later stages in the single player campaign

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
There's videos of the amiibo unlocked Hero charger now. The loadout and stats look exactly the same as the standard splat charger.
Seen at 4:12 in this video, he even flips to it in the shop from the standard splat charger so you see that nothing changes except for the appearance.

Minor spoiler warning: toward the beginning of the video, the amiibo challenge menu shows icons of later stages in the single player campaign
Glad to see it is just a re-skin! Honestly I wouldn't have been able to get the amiibo if it wasn't for my gamestop not taking pre-orders for the 3-pk amiibo. I would have hate to see so many people not have access to a new weapon.

Threevenge

Inkling
NNID
threevenge
Under normal circumstances, I agree with everything you said. (Especially $1=1hour)

...But since these are amiibo in particular, wot happens if they're not in stock as usual? <_<;

Also, FYI: Nintendo insists on "amiibo" not being capitalised. Even to start a sentence.
Ah, I wasn't aware of the amiibo capitalization quirk, thanks for the correction. Your point is valid and the only thing that bugs me really with amiibos in general :/

Xitara

Inkling
NNID
Xitara
One of the issues I've found with Amiibo is that we run into a situation where Nintendo can't win. As others have said, many people don't buy Amiibos because they don't unlock anything intereting, but now that they do it's Nintendo locking DLC onto a $13 figure. It's a hard tightrope to walk for Nintendo.

The main issue I have with Amiibo though is the availability. I would be a lot more satisfied with the situation if the Splatoon Amiibos were going to in stock and at full availability everywhere. But, at least in America, that's not happening, and there will be people that won't get to have their Splatoon Girl or boy or Squid Amiibos not because of the price tag, but because of the availability. That honestly upsets me more than the what's in the Amiibo and I wish NOA would get on fixing that. Thank goodness I was at least able to get the girl one...

Tentacruel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kevin0217
Here I am paying for Xbox Live Gold, just to play online
I always hated having to pay to go online for Xbox. One of the reasons I never really play mine anymore, was because I didn't want to spend money to go online, which was a main feature of most games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom