• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Amiibo = $10 Pay Wall for Content???

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I see a majority in the thread stating that the content is merely a "side gift" which is funny. It doesn't change the fact that there's costumes, minigames, and stages all locked behind a cheap pay-wall. It's limited day-1 DLC that people are over-looking because of the all famous phrase "It's okay when Nintendo does it.".
No, I hate how gamers treat DLC in most games. The only DLC I find bad are:

1. Overpriced (The price justifies the figure and the content. The figures being one of the best so far and the content being the biggest).
2. Blocking off a huge part (Trying to call the extra missions and costumes a huge part is overreacting).
3. Pre-order bonuses (Due to how there is a huge possibility of never being able to get something again and quite soon).

Other than that, there really isn't a problem. If people really want it, they will buy it, but it isn't that huge of content so it really shouldn't be eating people up inside.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I'm totally burned out on Squid Jump and never want to play it again, especially if I have to go all the way back to level 11 every time I fail 15. Are there any other minigames that can be unlocked within the base game, or are the three from amiibos all there is?
1. Overpriced (The price justifies the figure and the content. The figures being one of the best so far and the content being the biggest).
But that's only if you care about the figures. If you don't care, or even just don't want to buy all three of them, then it's a bit harder to justify $35. That is steep as hell just to replay the same missions with different weapons and unlock some cosmetics and minigames.

There's also the availability issue. Just like the issue you state with preorder bonuses, many amiibos have sold out instantly and become impossible to find after that, unless you want to pay a massive scalper tax. This DLC could easily turn out to be $100 instead of $35.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
No, I hate how gamers treat DLC in most games. The only DLC I find bad are:

2. Blocking off a huge part (Trying to call the extra missions and costumes a huge part is overreacting).
3. Pre-order bonuses (Due to how there is a huge possibility of never being able to get something again and quite soon).

Other than that, there really isn't a problem. If people really want it, they will buy it, but it isn't that huge of content so it really shouldn't be eating people up inside.
Another good example of "It's okay when Nintendo does it!"
It's extra missions, costumes, and minigames in a game that severely lacking content similar to these. It's still day-1 DLC and a scum to the modern video game industry. Call me pessimistic, but it's obvious you're merely acting ignorant for the sake of saving face for Nintendo's stupid decision. I want the content, but there's no way for me to get it at this point without purchasing off of another person for extra price because of the limited amount of pre-orders at the several retailers these amiibo were released to; I can't go on the morning of the release because I have responsibilities that aren't video games. Also, if you honestly think $35 for the full set of content ISN'T overpriced then you're insane. It's literally more than 50% of the base game's cost for a cut of content missing.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Has it been confirmed or not if you can order the amiibo gear that other players wear?

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
I always hated having to pay to go online for Xbox. One of the reasons I never really play mine anymore, was because I didn't want to spend money to go online, which was a main feature of most games.
Well it costs money to maintain servers so I can understand why it is paid. Nintendo is kind of sitting on a massive surplus of money from what Im aware of so they are fronting the cost of it but it's not something I expect from every company. At least xbox live gives some games out for subscribers now iirc though.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
It's horse armor and the same story missions with a different weapon. Take this rhetoric back to /v/.
It's appealing armor and story missions with a weapon that you can't use otherwise providing a slightly different experience, and minigames.

Also, I would never touch /v/. It's an off-topic hell of ****posting and "BOARD CULTURE"
I don't touch any chan-related website nor any other degrading community in the vein of reddit etc.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It's not even new missions. It's just the same ones but you get to use a different weapon. Which definitely seems to me like something that should've been in the base game and got gimped so they can charge you for it - why the hell can't you just pick whatever weapon you want?

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
It's appealing armor and story missions with a weapon that you can't use otherwise providing a slightly different experience, and minigames.

Also, I would never touch /v/. It's an off-topic hell of ****posting and "BOARD CULTURE"
I don't touch any chan-related website nor any other degrading community in the vein of reddit etc.
It's cosmetic. It's nothing different ability wise than what you can get in the game. The missions are the same thing except you use x weapon to complete y stage. The only thing that is annoying being locked are the minigames, but we don't know yet if we can get them through another method. Embargo will be up in a few days.

It's not even new missions. It's just the same ones but you get to use a different weapon. Which definitely seems to me like something that should've been in the base game and got gimped so they can charge you for it - why the hell can't you just pick whatever weapon you want?
After you collect all the Sea Scrolls are you ever going to touch story mode again? Serious question.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
After you collect all the Sea Scrolls are you ever going to touch story mode again? Serious question.
I still pick up Mario 3D World and play through some of the stages as different characters simply because the game was fun and it's always a joy to play through some stages again. Imagine if I was forced to buy Mario amiibo to play as different characters in the stages. That's this.

Even if someone didn't want to play through them again for the sea-scrolls it's still not defend-able.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I still pick up Mario 3D World and play through some of the stages as different characters simply because the game was fun and it's always a joy to play through some stages again. Imagine if I was forced to buy Mario amiibo to play as different characters in the stages. That's this.

Even if someone didn't want to play through them again for the sea-scrolls it's still not defend-able.
3D World is a 3D platformer with multiplayer support. Splatoon is a multiplayer focused TPS. There is a major difference between genres and not even comparable.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
3D World is a 3D platformer with multiplayer support. Splatoon is a multiplayer focused TPS. There is a major difference between genres and not even comparable.
Game genre and focus doesn't change the fact that content that slightly changes game experience is locked away for extra cost. Although Splatoon's main focus is multiplayer, single player content shouldn't be locked away at all. I'm not comparing games to review them, I'm comparing games to discuss a flaw in base game design and greedy decisions.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Game genre and focus doesn't change the fact that content that slightly changes game experience is locked away for extra cost. Although Splatoon's main focus is multiplayer, single player content shouldn't be locked away at all. I'm not comparing games to review them, I'm comparing games to discuss a flaw in base game design and greedy decisions.
Or, like you mentioned earlier, to call you pessimistic. It could just be your view that's greedy. You're missing absolutely nothing when it comes to cosmetics or missions as they're the exact same thing except a different weapon type. You only think you want them because they're there. This is basic marketing philosophy.

Now if a new multiplayer mode or weapon loadouts were locked behind amiibo, that would be a whole different story.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It'd be fun to replay with it different weapons, and there's no harm in letting me pick what weapon I want the first time around. If it's good for speedrunning I might get into that.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Wait are people getting mad about 100% optional cosmetics?
When you buy an amiibo you're also paying for the amiibo itself along with whatever content it holds, for example I doubt people think training your Villager amiibo in Smash as well as the cute helmet in Mario Kart are worth $12/$13, but a moderately high quality figurine is.
In Splatoon you get to redo missions for cosmetic items that are no different from the regular stuff, you also get a bomb lookin' Squid Kid figurine on top of that, plus you can get the amiibos in a set which actually knocks off the price of one, but best of all its entirely up to you.

Saying it's withholding content from the game is a moot point because it's not actually new content. It's not a new story where you need to save the squid sisters, it's basically a level reskin, you could even do them yourself on your own time like how people do Nuzlockes in Pokemon. For Free! Wow! Getting mad that amiibos have cosmetics on them is like getting mad at Valve having a TF2 store for clothes. It's all entirely optional, your Splatoon experience will not change based on if you have the amiibos or not, just like every other game that has cosmetics.

If you're mad about the minigames, I'm sorry you can't find ways to waste time while in the minute and a half you spend waiting to get matched up with people.

All of this whole "Oh wow nintendo is doing amiibo playwalls" thing is blowing what amiibos bring to the game way out of proportion while also devaluing the amiibos themselves, which are sweet official Nintendo merchandise.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
When you buy an amiibo you're also paying for the amiibo itself along with whatever content it holds, for example I doubt people think training your Villager amiibo in Smash as well as the cute helmet in Mario Kart are worth $12/$13, but a moderately high quality figurine is.
In Splatoon you get to redo missions for cosmetic items that are no different from the regular stuff, you also get a bomb *** Squid Kid figurine on top of that, plus you can get the amiibos in a set which actually knocks off the price of one, but best of all its entirely up to you.
I just went over this:
But that's only if you care about the figures. If you don't care, or even just don't want to buy all three of them, then it's a bit harder to justify $35. That is steep as hell just to replay the same missions with different weapons and unlock some cosmetics and minigames.

There's also the availability issue. Just like the issue you state with preorder bonuses, many amiibos have sold out instantly and become impossible to find after that, unless you want to pay a massive scalper tax. This DLC could easily turn out to be $100 instead of $35.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Wait are people getting mad about 100% optional cosmetics?
In Splatoon you get to redo missions for cosmetic items that are no different from the regular stuff, you also get a bomb lookin' Squid Kid figurine on top of that, plus you can get the amiibos in a set which actually knocks off the price of one, but best of all its entirely up to you.

Saying it's withholding content from the game is a moot point because it's not actually new content. It's not a new story where you need to save the squid sisters, it's basically a level reskin, you could even do them yourself on your own time like how people do Nuzlockes in Pokemon. For Free! Wow! Getting mad that amiibos have cosmetics on them is like getting mad at Valve having a TF2 store for clothes. It's all entirely optional, your Splatoon experience will not change based on if you have the amiibos or not, just like every other game that has cosmetics.

If you're mad about the minigames, I'm sorry you can't find ways to waste time while in the minute and a half you spend waiting to get matched up with people.

All of this whole "Oh wow nintendo is doing amiibo playwalls" thing is blowing what amiibos bring to the game way out of proportion while also devaluing the amiibos themselves, which are sweet official Nintendo merchandise.

I don't want amiibo. I'd like more than 1 minigame, nice cosmetics, and gameplay shifts for the already scarce campaign. It's literal content that I can seemingly only get through a $35 purchase. Besides, on the TF2 point, most cosmetics are possible to recieve WITHOUT having to pay money; hat drops are a thing. Whether you consider it content or not, the boittom line is that it IS content locked for a price in a game that already lacks content.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
If you don't care about any of these things then why are you making a ruckus about amiibos? You can also get them individually, the set is just an option since if you get them all separate I think it comes up to $42.

The availability is a totally separate can of worms, speaking as someone who's trying to get a Jigglypuff amiibo, Nintendo has been doing a terrible job at all that, but no one is forcing you to buy the scalper's awful pricetags.

I don't want amiibo. I'd like more than 1 minigame, nice cosmetics, and gameplay shifts for the already scarce campaign. It's literal content that I can seemingly only get through a $35 purchase. Besides, on the TF2 point, most cosmetics are possible to recieve WITHOUT having to pay money; hat drops are a thing. Whether you consider it content or not, the boittom line is that it IS content locked for a price in a game that already lacks content.
  • I already talked about the minigames
  • The game has dozens of outfits and they're going to continue to add more in, I simply don't see the point in making a fuss over not getting to wear a schoolgirl outfit when it'll likely look like trash when you hit lv.20 in the shops
  • I've been playing Tf2 for nearly 3 years and in all that time I've gotten exactly one hat drop for a class I don't even play.
  • Unless you want to burn time in idle servers waiting on hat drops is not ideal
  • That's not to say you can't craft them but even then that'll take a whopping amount of time to amass enough scrap to make a refined, that is unless you wanna scrape and beg in the trading servers, plus there's the whole RNG factor involved in crafting, PLUS there are things you can't even craft
If you wanna open stuff in a TF2 crate, buy a key.
If you want cosmetic stuff in Splatoon, buy an amiibo.
Running around in circles and yelling at nintendo is not going to change or fix anything past making pointless threads like these.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom