Splatoon: Anxiety From Killing Noobies

«◆Johηηγ◆»

Full Squid
Hello my name is «◆Johппу◆» and I want to see if anyone wants to voice their opinion about something that I experience quite often while playing online in turf wars.

For me playing Splatoon is a blast and I really enjoy the game so I try to stay up during the day so I don't get ripped to pieces by the Japanese Splatoon community at night, But when I play during the day sometimes I see new players or people that just don't seem to be quite used to Splatoon's mechanics then when I kill them or If we win by a landslide I start to feel guilty for their loss.

For example while playing against a new player I'll think to myself "What if I'm playing against a really young child and I'm making them upset?!" or "What if this person is disabled or mentally handicapped and I'm making them cry?!"

The thing that really makes me feel bad is when the other player is named "Daddy" or "Mommy" while also being a low level, It makes me really sad and I feel terrible after splatting them

I am afraid to play against younger players because I don't want to make them cry or get really mad/upset or just flat out rage quit.. (╯// ︵ //╰,)

Do you feel the same way too or is it just unique to me? Please comment if you have felt the same way before, It is much appreciated!

Last edited:

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
It's pretty common to feel bad, but I got over it pretty quick.
Think of it this way: they have to learn how to play good somehow. I didn't even know how to do flicks with the roller (though i hardly use rollers) until I was killed by the technique tons of times. Some will get sad, but they're kids. They will learn from it, from my experience.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
It mostly depends on what sort of player you are. I know some people who would feel bad for going all out on the newer players and I know some players who don't care. Personally, I will try to go easier on the newer players when I encounter them in Turf War.... Unless they're playing like a high leveled player and making it obvious they're a side account. It's a very big obvious difference which low leveled accounts are new and which are just simply side accounts. x3 But eh... I will go easy on the newer players because I don't find them as much fun. It's not fun when my opponents can't fight back. I never did see what joy people get out of slaughtering the newer players. x) I dunno. Guess I just prefer my enemies to actually have a chance to fight me back. x3

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
I tend to either be caught up in the match and not notice levels until afterwards, or I have no soul after a losing streak of salt.

Felarine

Inkling
NNID
gauzewiga
its pretty easy to tell the difference between alt accounts and newbies. if its clear that its a new player, i go easy on them. one of my first memories was being absolutely stomped in a lobby i ended up in that i wasn't ready for. it was kind of discouraging. i'm also a softie at heart, so the idea of going all out against a player who isn't near my skill level isn't for me.

Maave

Inkling Commander
I try to go easy if I see that it's a new player. I felt a little bad after crushing a roller all game to see afterward that he was level 8. If a low level player is on my team then I'll intentionally pull moves near him so that he hopefully sees it and learns.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
since noone's addressed the topic of disabled players - i'm disabled/handicapped, and obviously i'm not a low ranking or new player by any means, but when i was i never did take it personally. i'm a player just like you, and if i get beat thanks to my disability, i look to myself, not any other players! it's not like they could know i have issues, it's not as though they'd pick on me specifically. your heart is in the right place, but i would say not to worry about it.

as for actual new players (and not alts), i try to avoid brutally splatting them, or if they're on my team, i take out high level players who are targeting them. i don't like just pummelling new players, it's not really fair and doesn't give me a sense of enjoyment. if they wanna run around the maps with their splat rollers and what the heck else, then i'll let them. i mean, until they come trying to slam me in the face ;9

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Mercy's kind of a crock in this game as is. You have plenty of people who call for it and then silently beat a disadvantaged team into the ground because that's how it goes around here.

That said, I did feel bad once, but I got over it pretty quickly. It's a competitive game, you learn or die. The high level folk certainly didn't show me any mercy when I was new :P I'll only feel bad if some foolish S rank brings his C/B buddy into a squad battle, because THAT is throwing them to the wolves.

Besides, with alts being a thing these days it's hard to tell who actually is a newbie anymore until the match is well under way.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I did beat up a bunch of low Splatfest Powered people last Splatfest on an alt. Felt great in comparison to losing just about every match on the Night Owl side, but now I probably feel bad XD

If there are low levels in my lobby normally, I will splat them without mercy(can't help it as an offensive Aero), but definitely will help those on my own team. At least, I hope I am.
I will take on the role of leader if I'm the highest level on my team (39 atm) and try to take out enemies for everyone, so I guess that's helping?

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
i regret nothing, no one showed me mercy when i was a new. If they are the enemy i usually disrespect and brutally splat them, if they're on my team i leave them to fend for themselves and use them as bait or meatshields when they are nearby.

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
i regret nothing, no one showed me mercy when i was a new. If they are the enemy i usually disrespect and brutally splat them, if they're on my team i leave them to fend for themselves and use them as bait or meatshields when they are nearby.
This brought tears to my eyes! I officially love you so much!

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I don't know if this is a bit off topic, but aren't there players that purposefully target the "low levels" on teams too?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yeah, but that's nothing new. There's people who get their jollies beating up new or inexperienced players on every game, that's been the case since online gaming became a thing. For example, Rockenberg.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I don't know about rank.

I'm having difficulty recalling if I ever faced off against inexperienced players. Or all that often. But there have been a few rank sessions where most of the players on both teams didn't feel all that strong? (Anyone else ever experience that?) However, when it comes to my nozzlenose only alt account... it's hard to say. Sure, my lower ranking opponents were inexperienced, but they got a mild handicap with me using a weapon series I was inexperienced with and is notoriously difficult to use.

And while trying to level that alt to level 10 during a splatfest, I just goofed off and practiced on the fundamentals as it were while putting as minimum amount of effort in helping the team win as possible.

Turf War on my main account, still an ol' softie. If I'm getting a vibe that they're inexperienced, someone else at the controls, or what-have-you, then I tend to let up because there are more important things in the match—like inking turf and going after bigger game if need be. Unless I'm told via voice chat to handle them... then, sorry kid, but orders is orders. Otherwise I may ignore them, shoo them away, or toy with them like a cat playing with its food (e.g. rolling after and squishing them with a dynamo, carbon, or ink/octobrush—yes it happens! lol).

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Being paired with lower ranks is really starting to become a problem with squads lately. o.O It used to be really rare for an S/S+ quad to be paired with a full B rank squad who has just one S rank in it yet I'm finding it happening more often. When my friends and I do some quads, we're running into lower ranked quads much more often and.... I'm starting to wonder if there is any actual matchmaking for squads at all. :v

How we deal with the lower Ranked squads depend on how we're feeling at the time. Most of the time, we offer some 'mercy' by choosing someone to sit out. A 3v4 is much fairer to the lower Ranked team than a team of 4 S ranks coming at them full force. x3 Sometimes we'll choose just to wreck them so we can end the match quickly and find opponents closer to our skill level. And so they can move to a team who is hopefully closer to their skill as well. That's just the risk you run if you squad with an S or S+ rank I guess. You'll probably run into others and get wrecked if you're not at their level. Squads definitely need better matchmaking so this newbie/lower ranked pairing doesn't keep happening. x)

Turf War could use an improvement too. :v There is no reason or excuse for a level 4 who is barely able to work their weapon being in a room full of level 50 players. x3

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I know that feel. If you go through a missive tilt, defeating newer players can kinda lift your spirtis in a "Maybe I'm not that bad at the game" sorta way, but yeah I kinda have some remorse preying on the weak who can't fight for themselves. I'm trying real hard to show some mercy. When I can.

Edit: silly semicolon. I know how to use apostrophes; I really do. :(

Last edited:

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Well I do feel a bit bad but they'll learn. Playing your best against new players helps them grow and learn from the experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom