Splatoon: Anxiety From Killing Noobies

«◆Johηηγ◆»

Full Squid
But if you're too hard on them won't they eventually just give up and stop trying?

As in they will literally "Rage Quit" and by quit I mean.. Quit Splatoon

That's why I am willing to teach new players how to play good.. That way they improve and so they never give up

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You are correct Johnny boy, not that the trolls ever care. That behavior totally hasn't killed games off before or anything :rolleyes:

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
But if you're too hard on them won't they eventually just give up and stop trying?

As in they will literally "Rage Quit" and by quit I mean.. Quit Splatoon

That's why I am willing to teach new players how to play good.. That way they improve and so they never give up
If they quit that's on them.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
If they quit that's on them.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
No, that's on you for being a ****, especially if you're the sort that beats up newbies. Hostile predatory sorts like that are why, for a random example, City of Heroes's PVP mode withered and died pretty much immediately.

It's a freaking leisure time activity, it's amazing the lengths people will go to in order to justify abhorrent behavior that'd get them a fist to the face in real life.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
No, that's on you for being a ****, especially if you're the sort that beats up newbies. Hostile predatory sorts like that are why, for a random example, City of Heroes's PVP mode withered and died pretty much immediately.

It's a freaking leisure time activity, it's amazing the lengths people will go to in order to justify abhorrent behavior that'd get them a fist to the face in real life.
Playing at your regular skill level is hardly abhorrent behavior.

And you're fussing at chris for saying that when you just said in an earlier post:
It's a competitive game, you learn or die.
In competitive games, people aren't going to consciously play worse to make new players feel better.
And Splatoon doesn't even have voice chat, so you really can't be much of a "hostile predator".

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
it was the quote. Rockenberg loves pwning noobs. Guess seeing that quote helped him reach enlightenment. :D
I prefer the term slaughtering over pwning, lol,

Feeling salty m8?
1v1 me bro, lol

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
this whole "survival of the fittest" attitude is so boring. we're playing Splatoon, do you really need to act like that?

we higher level players are essentially Splatoon's ambassadors. we should be looking to make newbies feel welcome, not so they get all complacent, but so they don't think we're complete jerks and don't want to play the game. just because people didn't treat you right doesn't mean you have to be the same, the cycle has to be broken somewhere.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
I once started as a level 1 on a friends WiiU once to see how fast could level up. I'm not gonna lie, it was extremely painful. The people I went up against seemed to barely know how to play the game. Every time I splatted one of them, I felt like I was attacking a defenseless bunny. I felt like a complete bully. I wasn't even playing serious (I never really do).

But, I did get someone my team that would follow me around and try to mimic my movements. They were so precious, and I tried to show them little neat tricks. Kinda made me feel like an older sister. It also didn't take the game long to put me in a lobby full of level 50 S ranked players again once I left my original lobby to change weapons.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I feel like the thing that troubles people is less that and more going out of one's way to attack weaker players. If one doesn't pay attention to levels in the lobby and so doesn't realise that there's a completely new player in their midst until they notice how easily they're splatted, it's one's reaction to that that determines whether or not one is, uh, being a jerk. I would hope that no-one is actually going out of their way to spawn camp newer players and prevent them from playing the game, as it's perfectly possible to play TW without using 'strategies' like that.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I feel like the thing that troubles people is less that and more going out of one's way to attack weaker players. If one doesn't pay attention to levels in the lobby and so doesn't realise that there's a completely new player in their midst until they notice how easily they're splatted, it's one's reaction to that that determines whether or not one is, uh, being a jerk. I would hope that no-one is actually going out of their way to spawn camp newer players and prevent them from playing the game, as it's perfectly possible to play TW without using 'strategies' like that.
Oops, kinda spawn camped a low Splatfest Power team on Mahi Mahi last Splatfest. Granted, it was perfectly possible to leave their spawn(some did), but you know yeah I play Turf competitively

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Oops, kinda spawn camped a low Splatfest Power team on Mahi Mahi last Splatfest. Granted, it was perfectly possible to leave their spawn(some did), but you know yeah I play Turf competitively
That's still okayyy, given that you didn't do it because they were weaker players; you did it because you were winning a TW.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
But, I did get someone my team that would follow me around and try to mimic my movements. They were so precious, and I tried to show them little neat tricks. Kinda made me feel like an older sister. It also didn't take the game long to put me in a lobby full of level 50 S ranked players again once I left my original lobby to change weapons.
Yeah, it's weirdly adorable when they do that and you realize "Ooooh wait, you really are fresh meat, are you? Well kid, 'C'mon' because today you earn your wings tentacles!"

Which only gets amusing when you're using a brush to direct a shooter where to aim. "Over there." *swing swing swing* "Ah 'Booyah!' you got 'em!"

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I feel like the thing that troubles people is less that and more going out of one's way to attack weaker players. If one doesn't pay attention to levels in the lobby and so doesn't realise that there's a completely new player in their midst until they notice how easily they're splatted, it's one's reaction to that (You wrote that twice) that determines whether or not one is, uh, being a jerk. I would hope that no-one is actually going out of their way to spawn camp newer players and prevent them from playing the game, as it's perfectly possible to play TW without using 'strategies' like that.
I guess it could be mean if you camped them just because of their low levels, but spawn camping is a completely legitimate strategy. If you can trap them, then they can't escape and flank you, so it gives your team a very easy win if you can keep them in.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I guess it could be mean if you camped them just because of their low levels, but spawn camping is a completely legitimate strategy. If you can trap them, then they can't escape and flank you, so it gives your team a very easy win if you can keep them in.
No, yeah, I realised that I was covering too broad a ground there, hence the addendum in my following post. Still, intent becomes concealed in a game like Splatoon, so it doesn't make much difference to those whom you're defeating, so... let them play a little, at least, I guess?

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
No, yeah, I realised that I was covering too broad a ground there, hence the addendum in my following post. Still, intent becomes concealed in a game like Splatoon, so it doesn't make much difference to those whom you're defeating, so... let them play a little, at least, I guess?
They got to play at the beginning of the match, and the match ends really quickly when you trap them, so they don't just waste 3 minutes in spawn.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

And you're fussing at chris for saying that when you just said in an earlier post:

In competitive games, people aren't going to consciously play worse to make new players feel better.
And Splatoon doesn't even have voice chat, so you really can't be much of a "hostile predator".
There's a few levels of difference between doing your best regardless of opponent and actively focusing on newbies, which is what I'm grumbling about. "Learn or die" should mean "these high-level players are really dangerous to you, either avoid them for now or do your best to pick up some tricks." It should NOT mean "some jerk on an alt or just placed in the lobby is going to splat you nine times because you don't have the skills to avoid them yet despite trying to do so".

I kinda witnessed that second one personally.

Even without delving into the territory of the obvious trolls in this thread, you can be aggressive around newbies without being a jerk.

And yes, spawn camping is a legitimate tactic, doesn't make it any less annoying on either side. Neither side really gets to play when that happens. Are we done splitting hairs?

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Sure.

Anyways, I just encountered a real hacker on Splatoon who's an actual slaughterer. Constantly murdered us from the void.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I once started as a level 1 on a friends WiiU once to see how fast could level up. I'm not gonna lie, it was extremely painful. The people I went up against seemed to barely know how to play the game. Every time I splatted one of them, I felt like I was attacking a defenseless bunny. I felt like a complete bully. I wasn't even playing serious (I never really do).

I did that to once on an alt account. It felt weird how much I outclassed all of them. I felt like I was going to hell for doing it the entire time lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom