Splatoon Direct Summary

lightdasher

Pro Squid
I just took a picture of the title screen using the wii u image sharing service, no need to take a picture of it with a camera

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Then how do you know this stuff in splatoon isn't post-release stuff? and how do you know it's locked away within the games files? You don't you're just bashing on nintendo for seemingly no reason, do you buy early access stuff on steam and complain when you see the developer preview something?
how do you even know what's locked away in the games files and what's not? we've seen one free DLC item, and that's the paint brush. every other thing revealed in this direct is in the base game.
Yeah see this is kind of the distinction we need to make...you both are going into each side of the extreme, kinda.
There's a possibility that the content is locked on the disc but also a possibility that they are features not yet finalized. That would be a "noble" version of post-game content, but you can definitely see how it can be construed and may even be the locked content that everyone freaking hates.

I hope it's not the latter, but w/e. Can definitely see how it turns some people off. Or if it's not locked it can just be seen as a half-baked game...meh.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
I don't. I'm basing my judgement on the fact that we're very close to the game's release date, and we're seeing content that we won't be able to use until a later time. That just screams "locked content". I can be wrong, and perhaps I am, but I'm just concerned about it is all. Me being such a negative nancy about it is already making me look like the enemy here, but I just need to throw it out there. I'm sure Splatoon will be a great game and I'm completely down for it, but I just hate that we still need to continue waiting for all these nice stuff long after we bought the game. It's different from DLC being made from scratch after the game's release, such as how it was done for Mario Kart 8.
I see it a different way. I don't think they're withholding the content, I think a lot of it of it is probably not done/finalized yet. They didn't even show any game footage of private lobbies, which makes me think they're not even done implementing them yet They probably haven't even finalized the UI design for them yet or else I expect they would have showed a clip like they did with joining on friends.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
Yeah see this is kind of the distinction we need to make...you both are going into each side of the extreme, kinda.
There's a possibility that the content is locked on the disc but also a possibility that they are features not yet finalized. That would be a "noble" version of post-game content, but you can definitely see how it can be construed and may even be the locked content that everyone freaking hates.

I hope it's not the latter, but w/e. Can definitely see how it turns some people off. Or if it's not locked it can just be seen as a half-baked game...meh.
The only reason why any of this is an issue is because of how broadband Internet is utilized nowadays to release constant streams of game updates. 10+ years ago patches were pretty much only for PC games and were few and far between. Prior to that, games were complete as they were released. Since we now live in a different time, we have to live with the situation as it works nowadays, for better or worse.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Also holy **** the Sisters are doing squid tentacles with their hands NOOO

lightdasher

Pro Squid
Did people scream Mewtwo was locked DLC? I think if they didn't anounce these "post-launch free updates" before it released you wouldn't even have considered it being "day 1 locked content"

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster

yeah, i will definitely concede to the point that it could be them holding off perfectly good content so that they can get a benevolent image, but it would just make more sense that they're making some fluff content to be released later since the base game is finished and nintendo can't spend money on developers not doing anything. like i said, that's actually how most day 1 dlc comes into form. games can be finished months before they're shipped and done with, and the devs have to do something

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Did people scream Mewtwo was locked DLC? I think if they didn't anounce these "post-launch free updates" before it released you wouldn't even have considered it being "day 1 locked content"
It's like with Evolve, that game got so much bad publicity because they advertised DLC too heavily long before the game was even launched

lightdasher

Pro Squid
It's like with Evolve, that game got so much bad publicity because they advertised DLC too heavily long before the game was even launched
This is literally the first we've seen of post-launch content, also wasn't Evolved payfor dlc?

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
It is pretty pathetic and sad to see such basic features being pulled out from the game until a later date. The game already looks like it lacks content enough already, why can't I just play with my friends on day one? Honestly, what was their thought process on this?

I won't be getting this game until August then, I'm pretty disappointed with Nintendo's decisions recently and this just takes the cake.
I do wholeheartedly agree with you. they should push release back so we can have that basic functionality on launch day. I'm annoyed by that as well, but I will be able to meet players in game then will have the ability to form teams when it becomes available. I'll still be playing regardless because I know I'll be spending most of my time in Turf War anyway.

Setnaro X

Full Squid
Mewtwo's announcement came after the 3DS version was released, and people went to town hacking the game, and absolutely no info about Mewtwo were uncovered, so not a lot of people screamed locked content because of that factor. When we saw the preview for Mewtwo, we were given only a view of his model in wireframe along with a WIP character art.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
This is literally the first we've seen of post-launch content, also wasn't Evolved payfor dlc?
oh I'm not comparing Splatoon's DLC to Evolve, I'm just saying people like to complain about DLC announcements pre-launch as locked content and accuse the devs of chopping up the game

lightdasher

Pro Squid
Mewtwo's announcement came after the 3DS version was released, and people went to town hacking the game, and absolutely no info about Mewtwo were uncovered, so not a lot of people screamed locked content because of that factor. When we saw the preview for Mewtwo, we were given only a view of his model in wireframe along with a WIP character art.
Smash wii u wasn't released then you know.

And I actually can't see how locking FREE post-launch would gain nintendo anything

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Are private lobbies seriously not being "added" until August

What the **** is wrong with this company? They had one job. And the worst part is, the game is $69.99 in Canada.

Techno Hunter

Inkling
NNID
Technohunter2810
So about that gamestop smash offer... Is there anyway for someone who doesn't live in North America,Europe or Asia to get those?

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Are private lobbies seriously not being "added" until August

What the **** is wrong with this company? They had one job. And the worst part is, the game is $69.99 in Canada.
but 1 CAD = 0.82 USD so it's not like you're being ripped off or anything?
Hell it's cheaper in Canada.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
So about that gamestop smash offer... Is there anyway for someone who doesn't live in North America,Europe or Asia to get those?
you could try and buy a code off someone but I don't know if it would work in other regions. I doubt Nintendo will keep this limited to people who preorder the game from Gamestop though, they'll probably add them to the DLC shop later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom