• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon Online Squads

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
I feel like an 8 player squad would be optimal, because then you can pit matches within the squad for team practice.
Agreed, but of course, scrimming with other teams is still optimal most of the time

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
Isn't it what sports teams do? Seriously, isn't it? I don't know, I don't really watch sports.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
It's good practice at least. Like I said, it's ideal to scrim against other teams, but if no one else is available or you just want to have some fun, it can definitely be fun to do a scrim match across your own team

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
It's good practice at least. Like I said, it's ideal to scrim against other teams, but if no one else is available or you just want to have some fun, it can definitely be fun to do a scrim match across your own team
I mean yeah, nothing's to hold you back from playing against your own teammates, it's just not as effective in terms of practicing.

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
Isn't it what sports teams do? Seriously, isn't it? I don't know, I don't really watch sports.
Yes, they do. Quite often if I had to say so myself.
This. Pitting yourself against your own team members isn't as good a practice because you know them, their playstyle, their strategies, and vice versa.
Actually, playing against your teammates is just as effective as playing against other teams. Along with learning your team member's playstyle and certain strategies, you can use that to your advantage because you know what they are mostly likely to do on the battlefield. If your team doesn't play against each other often, teamwork won't be consistent and in turn, your team will be losing a lot.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
Actually, playing against your teammates is just as effective as playing against other teams. Along with learning your team member's playstyle and certain strategies, you can use that to your advantage because you know what they are mostly likely to do on the battlefield. If your team doesn't play against each other often, teamwork won't be consistent and in turn, your team will be losing a lot.
That's a really good point, you can learn off of each other, it's a good opportunity to notice your teammate's weaknesses and try to work them out before real matches, and you can get a good view of what your teammate's would look like from an opposing side, so that different perspective can mean a lot to how you all work together.

StarForce

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hyrule, Mushroom, Nohr, Comet Observatory
I see the reasoning behind this and I certainly agree, but shouldn't bigger Squads be acceptable? I'm sure there will be some people who can't join the Squads they want to join, but they don't want to lead their own, or perhaps they can't do it. What I mean is, surely if there's a big Squad, different members can battle every time they challenge/are challenged by another Squad, just to give everyone a chance. Maybe the Squad can recruit more members but just have a regular team of 4 people that battle in the tournament, with a couple of back-ups, and the other members are just there for the community aspect of it. Assuming there are private lobbies, I'm sure a Squad can just have matches amongst themselves for fun, and some people may want that friendly aspect of a group. I guess I'm thinking more of a Clan than a Squad here. I'm not sure if Clans would ever become a thing on this site, but if they did, I'm sure they could just decide on a small team from their ranks to form the Squad and win for them here.

Squads could just become the equivalent of Clans to be honest. There's a set team from each Squad to represent them, but if someone can't make it, someone else in the Squad can take their place. This idea is actually starting to remind me of raiding guilds in MMOs. There will usually be one or more raid teams with the raid leaders organising everyone. A lot of 'socials' join the guild just to be part of that community, but if there's ever a spot on the raid team because someone can't make it suddenly, one of the social members can ask to join in their stead. They'll usually get checked over to make sure they meet the requirements, and if they do, they're good to go.

However, if that does happen with Squads on this site, then you would obviously only need to include the active battlers in the main post of this tournament thread. Would be silly if multiple Squads grew large and you included every member in the post. :p
Hmm I see the logic there too. I though of that because they'd have to take turns but that may not be an idea. Take me for example again. In the Smashboards crew I am a member of (I'm not the leader) I am a supporting voice. I ften cheer up the group. Sadly I have a bad network and can't play friendlies in smash so I am part of the crew but I never battle. All in all squads can get big, I suggested a lower numer of 6 or eight but a squad can have more. The main team can be formed of The Inklings who are good while the others can be supporters and like I said which could become or split into another team with a different strategy. This way the leader can assess what is best for a round lost in battles if needing more sniping coverage or the team is scatterful to cover various points or a shield while a painbrush spreads paving the road for the other 2 inklings. I think the limit is on the leader, suggested but it's on the leader nonetheless. I like how the input goes here. Hopefully we can come up with some ideas we all agree to a point and sharp this Squads idea very good.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Yes, they do. Quite often if I had to say so myself.

Hmm, well said. I never thought about it that way. It's a good way to find your teammates own mistakes and correct them.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Playing agaisnt same opponent over and over again helps you know their stategies better and vice versa. This can also result developing new stradegies and thus improving as a team to a whole new stage. I now this practising type is commonly used among other games, especially among MOBA teams and it's really effective way of training.

Last edited:

StarForce

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hyrule, Mushroom, Nohr, Comet Observatory
It does work very well. Essentially you are to correct bad habits and work on what they should do. This way you shape them to be the best because if the team is practicing for the best then they'll be up against the best which is themselves. That's how you beat records by trying over and over again. Therefore practicing against you own teammates will sharpen you in the long run. It also works for timing strategies since the team knows what is capable of on a certain point of time.

On the news section:
We are working hard on the ranking system for Splatoon Squads. Discussion and ideas are being evaluated by a small group. Once we have a solid plan we will have professional evaluation and be able to implement the system soon so we can start as soon as the game comes out. Please stand by and wait for more info in the future.

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
Well the game is mainly 4v4 and I think it's good to have 1-2 people on standby so if there's like a large tournament and one of your teammates can't attend one of the 2 backup may be able to

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
true, but I still stand by the 8 player squad being optimal. with that you can train within the squad and still have the spare players.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Hmm I see the logic there too. I though of that because they'd have to take turns but that may not be an idea. Take me for example again. In the Smashboards crew I am a member of (I'm not the leader) I am a supporting voice. I ften cheer up the group. Sadly I have a bad network and can't play friendlies in smash so I am part of the crew but I never battle. All in all squads can get big, I suggested a lower numer of 6 or eight but a squad can have more. The main team can be formed of The Inklings who are good while the others can be supporters and like I said which could become or split into another team with a different strategy. This way the leader can assess what is best for a round lost in battles if needing more sniping coverage or the team is scatterful to cover various points or a shield while a painbrush spreads paving the road for the other 2 inklings. I think the limit is on the leader, suggested but it's on the leader nonetheless. I like how the input goes here. Hopefully we can come up with some ideas we all agree to a point and sharp this Squads idea very good.
Ahh yes, I can see what you're really getting at here. I think clans can be a thing with Splatoon, but yeah, I would say Squads should be necessary for tournaments. 4-6 in the Squad would be ideal, maybe more if the supports aren't always reliable but you don't want to get rid of them because you like having them around, and they do perform well when they are there. :p Maybe you just want to take more people into your Squad to make friends or for any other reasons. I would actually say that if a Squad did grow and had multiple supports, maybe the main four should be the only ones actually listed in the main posts of any tournament threads perhaps? That way if a support is needed, they can just be edited in and out as necessary. For example, if one of the main four won't be able to play for a week, the support taking their place can be edited into the list for that Squad, along with a note saying it's temporary. Something like that, anyway.

I do love this idea though and it can co-exist with clans. Clans can be for people who don't care about competitive at all, or for people who do. Whether they do or they don't, if you want to sign up for a tournament, you just need a Squad. If a clan wants to have a Squad to represent them, that's fine. It's a really simple system but it has some depth to it and I love it. :) Glad you brought this here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom