• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Veterans: Give some tips for new players!

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I've been playing Splatoon since the launch of the first game, and my advice is to not forget about support in ranked modes. Many players get tunnel vision of the objective, and getting kills, when they should be taking time to cover turf whenever they can. This is especially useful during pushes, when you can limit the enemy's movement options, and keep your team in the lead, and not even need to directly kill anyone yourself. While at lower ranks you will probably have to take a more direct approach to get your team winning, in S and S+, support can win games.

I have been playing a ton of Duelie Squelchers, and just being able to keep the map in our favor, use point sensors to limit enemy options, and use missles to force them into bad situations, has won me many games. In fact I didn't lose a single game of SZ or RM while ranking up from S to S+.

So I guess one step further into mental game here, the rule is fairly simple in definition, and how you should approach any game as a support type player:
Limit the options of your opponents as much as possible, and open the options of your teammates as much as possible.

This lets your team have a large advantage, since they can win interactions, by just having more possible ways to attack or defend. This allows all your aggressive tunnel visioned teammates to perform optimally. Think about every little interaction, and think about what it is doing in this context, and you will become a much better player, since you will start to be able to predict enemy behavior. Once you can read your opponents, you have a significant advantage.

Sorry if this is confusing and long winded, but this is how I think about the game.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
as a Splatoon newbie who's been silently reading all the posts here, can i just say "thanks a lot" for all these great tips! :)
if you ever have questions you want help on, please feel free to ask them here. c:

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Here's a good one i sorta learned recently. if your teammate is mashing on your icon about to super jump to you, pls do them a favor and get behind just a BIT of cover so they wont be fresh meat for the enemies, or just stay with them to guard them while theyre jumping and make sure theyre safe when they land. I remember some guy guarded my super jump spot when i was on my way back to the fight and I felt so damn touched, lol. Bless that guy.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Here's a good one i sorta learned recently. if your teammate is mashing on your icon about to super jump to you, pls do them a favor and get behind just a BIT of cover so they wont be fresh meat for the enemies, or just stay with them to guard them while theyre jumping and make sure theyre safe when they land. I remember some guy guarded my super jump spot when i was on my way back to the fight and I felt so damn touched, lol. Bless that guy.
Yes, this! Guard your super jumping allies! It only harms your chances if someone's heading your way and you leave them to die.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Yes, this! Guard your super jumping allies! It only harms your chances if someone's heading your way and you leave them to die.
it's a downright heart crushing feel when you see it's safe, so you jump to someone, then when you land some long range weapon manages to splat you right as you land. My teammate! Where did you go!? ;n;
He left me for splat...

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Be careful not to get too comfortable with swimming. There are a few places on maps where you'll slip through a grate to your doom.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Speaking of swimming, as tempting and fun as it is hide and jump out of a tiny splotch of ink to ambush and splat somebody, please. Just don't. You have an objective to play, I've lost too many matches cos I was just so dedicated to getting a final splat, and if I wasnt so focused on the splat we would've had the man power to get the objective, either by inking just a bit more turf in turf war or popping the rainmaker.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Speaking of swimming, as tempting and fun as it is hide and jump out of a tiny splotch of ink to ambush and splat somebody, please. Just don't. You have an objective to play, I've lost too many matches cos I was just so dedicated to getting a final splat, and if I wasnt so focused on the splat we would've had the man power to get the objective, either by inking just a bit more turf in turf war or popping the rainmaker.
Let's just take that advice and put it flatly: Remember what you're a part of in game. It's a Turf War, not a Splatting Spree. Cover as much ground as possible in ink, not bodies (lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom