• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squid Parties: Yay or Nay?

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
I had a squid party three times, the first time I didn't know what was going on, I accidentally splatted someone because I thought he was trying to sneak into our side. Then I realized that no one was fighting, so I joined in.

I sure looked like a bully at the end because it showed my K/D and I was the only one who killed someone.
After that, I join the squid parties whenever they start, don't want to be a party crasher.

DavAndrus

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dorkdav
Glad you made this thread because I was planning to make a thread about it, you saved me a lot of time.

I think squid parties are idiotic, even in Turf War. If you're going to give up before the match even starts why play at all? I understand Turf War is the "casual" mode but still it's unfair to the people that actually want to try to win a contest of skill. Instead they have to endure 4 mins of boring ground painting as most of each team have given up and started flopping around. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to leave and find a new lobby so you won't get stuck with the squid party starters again.

It's rude, unsportsmanlike, and should not be encouraged by the community.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
A full group squid partying is fine, because everyone is involved in it. But if you and one other person on your team are squid partying when the rest of your allies are trying to battle, you are the absolute worst. Please don't let squid partying ruin matches for other people trying to play normally.
Yeah, that's a good way of summing it up, I think. The whole concept seems like something that's really best to do when you know that everyone joining already wants to do it. Otherwise, you might just be wasting someone's time. Which can really suck, if that someone only has like, time for a couple of matches before they have to go do other stuff. THAT could be very frustrating for them.

In other words: I guess there's nothing WRONG with it, but think of how others, randoms, might feel about it before just deciding to start one. It's not always fun for everyone.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I think doing a squid party is only a yay when it comes to private battles or battles with friends. When you're on public online and you're trying to squid party, you're sort of leaving your team mates (who are actually trying to battle and win) hanging and that's really not cool. It's especially worse if one or more people do it. I get that people want to have fun, but that's what friend requests are for. Make some friends and have your own squid party. Regular or Ranked, it's not really a nice thing to do on public online when most are there to actually battle.

with that said... I've encountered someone who was trying to squid party during a regular battle. I played along once. We were already cornered and backed into our base by the other team so we were going to lose anyway. Better than sulking, I'd say. ^.^ I ended up sending her a friend request. Haven't seen her since though. :(

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
With the knowledge that squids swim around each other rapidly for mating dances, squid parties suddenly feel a lot more lewd to me.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I didn't know that was a thing.

I love taunt parties in Smash Bros, so squid parties seem like something I would probably enjoy as well.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I liked them, until I found myself in a lobby where it was all people wanted to do. After five rounds of it, I had to quit and join someone else because I actually wanted to play Splatoon.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
Nay, and DavAndrus pretty much summed up my take on it. I find them frustating on good days, but I've taken to just painting around the "partying" players to try to get some points before leaving the lobby after the match. At least then I can be polite about my distaste in those matches.

And yes, turf wars might be casual mode, but it's also the best mode to grind money and skills as you always walk away with something as long as you put forth some effort. Squid parties put a huge damper on that as you can't get nearly the kind of points you can in a real fight.

Tldr: they suck, I don't like them, please keep them to private for other player's sakes.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
Out of private matches, someone once tried to squid party with me, and we both got shot, so I had to cut that out pretty quick. I wouldn't mind one in Turf Wars, but I'd hate one during Ranked.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Honestly I have a hard time distinguishing between a Squid Party and someone Squidbagging, so I've never been able to join one :(

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
Is it the end of the world? No. It does get pretty annoying though. Wouldn't mind as much if you were able to leave the map without shutting off the system,

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Tbh- I find Squid Parties to be the best! Like- c'mon, y'all can chillax for a while and squidkid around! I mean- if you're the one WHO RUINS SQUID PARTIES- OH YOU'RE THE WORST! No really... No need to crash 'em. 100% rude. If you wanna ink the map, go ahead, but if you super jump to me just to kill... I will let the others kill you and do nothing about it. Actually- Squidkid on your corpse.
Never interupt a squid party. uvu)
Never.
Idc if you hate 'em. B^(
Best not to friend me then cus, I leave your butt to die. ;^)
Like I said, Squid parties are fun to have and it seem like ya bondin' with others ya know? So why not calm down, party for a bit AND THEN GO TO ANOTHER LOBBY!
It ain't gonna kill you.
Trust me. It ain't.
So 100% yay from me.
Besides- if I see someone squidkidding, I WILL STOP, DROP MY WEAPON, AND JOIN.
NEVER HIT A SQUID WHO IS SQUIDKIDDING.
THAT'S A #1 RULE. Well... a rule I go by.

v0idStrike_squid-kid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dlb456network
When you own all weapons, gear (full slots), complete story, and are level 50 S+, then I could care less if you waste your time squid kidding around. You've earned some time to relax. Good for you.
But when I see anyone at level 29 or less squidbagging, they get splatted. Especially those idiots who move a foot away from the end of your charger line on Moray or Saltspray, and they act like they did something amazing and squid kid at the speed of light because you can't reach them.

Jei-Cos

Full Squid
NNID
JeiCos
I'm one of those people that bought the game to actually play it..Maybe I'm the odd one out..But I thought paying $50-60 for a game meant you wanted to actually play the game..Not ruin people's fun..But then again, that puts Squid Partiers in the same boat as cheaters saying it like that (that' isn't my intent though)..But it's true..I bought the game to actually play it, and try to win the matches, you know, the whole point of the game..If even one person on your team is not joining in, stop. It's rude to the person, or people, that are actually trying to play the game. I've been in far too many matches where 2 or 3 of my team members are partying while everyone else in the match is trying to play..Then we lose because these idiots don't understand that people are trying to actually play the game, and that now is not the time to do that.

If you wanna go for it, then go ahead and start one. But if you see that there's a member on your team actually trying to play, then there's usually a reason..Like me, who plays turf wars to level myself and my gear..And it's really damn hard to do that if my team losses and we don't get those bonus points because you wanted to mess around instead.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Life is too serious to be taken seriously?

Squid parties I've got no problem with it. I'm free to join or ignore. It is a nice break from the the in-game stressors and monotony. I'll give you that. It can even help clear your head during a rough session.

So take a moment and breath. Goof off, pull some shenanigans, parkour about the stage, and go sightseeing. Take an actual good, long look at all the hard work the staff put in designing the stagess and view the miiverse graffiti.

Sure, you can do all this in recon mode and private battles, but there's something special when it's done in public with chance randoms.

Haven't encountered squid parties in rank, yet, but I might join in. Because I have to realize I can't take it so seriously or personally even when I am trying to be competitive. Even though I'm trying to get a higher rank because I want to improve, battle stronger players, and be squad eligible--I still need to have fun! If play becomes work for me, then why continue playing at all?

I picked up the game to enjoy myself. And sometimes that means going off the beaten path of expected routine.

tldr: Squid parties are why Splatoon has no voice chat! Inklings don't always take things seriously, so why should you? =p

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
After getting pretty stressed out from playing Ranked seriously for much of my three-week Easter break, I started to squid party yesterday. Put on some combination of :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_inksavermain::ability_swimspeed: and taking the :wst_roller_brushmini00: for a whirl; later, I also changed my display name to "<3 ?" (temporarily). And it's a fun time! I try not to look like I'm making fun of anyone and avoid squidbaggy motions, my main goal being to draw large heart-shapes on the map. It's hard to tell at times, but I definitely make friends with squids on both teams from time to time.

That said, I make sure to leave the lobby after every game so as not to keep anyone from playing for more than one game. And it's still not a completely wasted game for the others, I think - if my team isn't significantly weaker than the opponents, they'll get some practice in playing from behind; and the opposing team has more room for error and to try out crazy stunts.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Squid partiers are the absolute worst. Selfish sods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom