• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Super Mario Sunshine Splatoon Crossover Potentially Leaked

Be warned, it is near E3 and fake leaks can be rather abundant. However Splatoon fans on Twitter and all over online are currently buzzing about a potential leak involving Mario amiibo and Splatoon. Comparisons of Mario Sunshine and Splatoon have been frequently made to the point where someone proposed Splatoon was in an alternate timeline to the game. While other jokes have been made about Mario taking his F.L.U.D.D. to clean up all of the ink being thrown down, there is a slight chance this may soon be a reality.

This image has been popping up and sent to varying Twitter accounts which would seem to lead people to believe that Mario's amiibo might be able to unlock some sort of Super Mario Sunshine related weapon, costume, or in game event. While there are certainly oddities in the pictures (like the Japanese Super Mario Sunshine logo and the American Splatoon logo side by side) there is some other strange circumstantial evidence that is leading folks to believe this could have a grain of truth.

A while back the amiibo website for Dr. Mario actually showed that it was compatible with Splatoon before being changed to no longer show this compatibility. While this isn't a direct Mario amiibo showing something to do with Splatoon Reddit user ZoomBoppo has done studies on the coding of amiibo which reveal many similarities between Dr. Mario and Mario showing that one might be able to be used exactly the same as the other in other Nintendo titles. If this is correct, it would mean that If Mario was compatible with Splatoon Dr. Mario would be as well which could make this previously edited oddity much more than a simple mistake.

For those worried famed creator of fake leaks ArtsyOmni is behind this one don't be. He has publicly announced that this is not the case. However he is also Tweeting out some of his thoughts on this leak and its potential to be real or fake that are truly interesting. Anyone looking to discuss if the leak is potentially fake or not should check out these thoughts from an expert creator of fake leaks

So is it real or fake? Only time will truly tell so we'll leave this one up to the fans for now. Share us those thoughts on this potential leak in the comments below and stay tuned to Squidboards for more coverage!

SmashCapps will keep his eyes open for any updates on the situation. To keep up with any breaking Splatoon news follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

Comments

The Splatoon logo lacks the Japanese subtitle and is also the 2D version as opposed to the 3D version, but that could be explained by them wanting to only use the logo in its simplest form because it's a pairing with the Amiibo logo. Still suspicious though. The Mario isn't an older render, so that gives it some credence, but it's easy to take the Mario Sunshine model and render it out with lighting similar to the Splatoon renders, and they wouldn't even have to modify the textures much since this image so so low res. I'm doubtful that this is real because of the lack of a Japanese subtitle under the Splatoon logo, but I don't think there's been any evidence up to this point that definitively debunks it.

Well, the logo being the 2D original version of the western logo makes it seem fake. The Mario model looks new and is really good, but there have been leaks with art this good before. (Rayman in Smash anyone?)

You know... something tells me this could be legit. Call me crazy, but hear me out.

A lot of people reference Super Mario Sunshine when they look at Splatoon, and Nintendo's already added in an NES Zapper as a weapon. I don't see how Mario couldn't be implemented.

Think of it like a new "costume" set. This "set" could be leveled up like gear, but you MUST wear all of it, not just bits and pieces of the costume, and the costume is linked to a specific costume-exclusive weapon, in this case, Flood. Well... an ink-shooting flood, but still.

And as for "Well Mario can't turn into a squid", if this becomes a detailed "costume" then either A: The inkling wearing it will keep it's squid form, or B, and what I hope might happen: While wearing the costume, you could turn into a Blooper instead of a squid, since a Blooper is a squid!

idk, I might be too hopeful, but this is what my mind's eye has been seeing. But it probably will end up being fake in the end.

I'm extremely sceptical, what they seem to be alluding to is the fact that Mario would be playable which would essentially ruin the entire aesthetic of Splatoon and cause the Inklings to lose much of their identity. To say Nintendo has been pushing Splatoon is an understatement and I really feel they want it to stand on its own two feet as a franchise, and the addition of Mario would dilute the brand significantly.

The alternative is that the render is merely a representation of the content, but it feels much more like this is a fake and the creator wanted to make it more convincing by including this unique render, but unfortunately it's only really cast more doubt over it.

Some form of Mario-themed content would be great, but the ability to play as Mario is just not likely in my books. I am however a huge fan of Sunshine so I'd love to see some form of resurrection in the future, but not like this. Let Splatoon be its own franchise before roping in the big guns.

I seriously hope this isn't real. They've gotta keep this IP separate, at least for it's debut game.

this image is super sketchy. looks faked to me but honestly? i would LOVE a super mario sunshine x splatoon crossover!

Eeeh, probably not real. Crossover stuff would still be great, though maybe not to this level.

I mean, it would be hilarious if Mario turned into a Blooper but that would be a little too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom