• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The August update will hit 8/6 next Thursday!

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
My guess is that you still need a Nintendo server to run the game. Otherwise, you would need to have extra stuff added to the update to generate the new "server" on the LAN mode. Doing this means that one player is going to be both host server and client, which means extra CPU is need to do both task. Having 8 players running around spreading ink might be CPU intensive and hurt whoever is playing the server/client machine. From a technical standpoint, I've seen matches where so much ink is flying around it causes game lag (guess because so much CPU processing is needed to figure out all the overlapping ink splats). From a technical standpoint, I've done a lot of game design over the past decades. So I can see this game using a lot of CPU because it has to keep track of more than just which players are running around and shooting at each other. It has to calculate splat volumes, splat distance, ink arc, speeds, and keep track of which areas are painted (walls, floors, objects, etc.)

I think it serves another purpose. If the next update gave you a copy of the "server" code then it opens it up to looking for hacks or exploits to use against the official Nintendo servers.
I fully agree, it won't be LAN, I'm just saying his argument is flawed.

Feryn Hyrk

Full Squid
The higher your level is better your chance of get your order from Spyke... So maybe it will increase even more now and make things easier?

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
The problem I see with raising the level cap, besides the fact that I hate grinding, is how many people confuse level for skill and go on to complain about matchmaking. Better to have a low cap so everyone can quickly forget about it.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
The problem I see with raising the level cap, besides the fact that I hate grinding, is how many people confuse level for skill and go on to complain about matchmaking. Better to have a low cap so everyone can quickly forget about it.
Isn't the "level for skill" thing based on the argument that "you've played this game long enough to be good at it"? You'd still have that problem whether it was level 20, 50, or 100. I don't think the complaint
means much either way.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
From my expierence matchmaking focuses more on your rank than on your level, even if it's not displayed in Turf War. Not as strictly as in ranked mode (obviously), but I tend to get paired with no players below rank B or B+ currently with my A rank (I check them when I leave the lobby). There is always a little distortion from people joining from friend lists, though.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Isn't the "level for skill" thing based on the argument that "you've played this game long enough to be good at it"? You'd still have that problem whether it was level 20, 50, or 100. I don't think the complaint
means much either way.
Yeah, and that's a bad argument.

Puffinn

Inkling
NNID
Castielle
I'm going to be like a week late to playing this update. They would choose to have the big update just when I go on vacation!

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
Yeah, and that's a bad argument.
Right, which is why I said it doesn't matter either way. The people making that argument aren't saying anything definitive, so if they put stock in that, that's their issue. They're going to do it regardless of a level cap raise, so you shouldn't put stock in people like that.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Right, which is why I said it doesn't matter either way. The people making that argument aren't saying anything definitive, so if they put stock in that, that's their issue. They're going to do it regardless of a level cap raise, so you shouldn't put stock in people like that.
But they'll forget about it as soon as they hit the cap, which is why the cap should come sooner rather than later. A level 20 won't whine about losing to other level 20s, but he'll whine about losing to a level 50. A low cap nips that issue in the bud.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
Uuuh, who exactly is making this complaint and taking themselves seriously? That's like complaining about A rank or higher slipping into B rooms. Skill is determined by how you play, not a number or letter grade. You think people shouldn't believe that level 20s are the best, and yet you believe that somehow being level 20 will open their eyes?

In the first place this is less an "issue" and more a pet peeve of anything. I can't imagine that you run into a lot of people you talk with on a regular basis who have this "issue" in a game with no voice chat.

DeltaFixer

Full Squid
NNID
RCDelta
I'm so hyped for this update. I'm really impressed with how well Nintendo has been supporting this game. It feels like some awesome new thing is always right around the corner, whether it be new maps, weapons, updates, or Splatfests.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Uuuh, who exactly is making this complaint and taking themselves seriously? That's like complaining about A rank or higher slipping into B rooms. Skill is determined by how you play, not a number or letter grade. You think people shouldn't believe that level 20s are the best, and yet you believe that somehow being level 20 will open their eyes?

In the first place this is less an "issue" and more a pet peeve of anything. I can't imagine that you run into a lot of people you talk with on a regular basis who have this "issue" in a game with no voice chat.
This was an issue at first in which I heard many people complaining that match making keeps pairing them against people outside of their level range. Of course, the complaints naturally became fewer in number when more and more people reached 20. Occasionally, you will hear a new player complain about levels, but people quickly point out that level does not equal skill.

Either or, some people do think that levels matter, and in the first week or so, they do matter, since better players can rise through the ranks with ease, compared to lesser players. And the same thing is going to happen for level 50s as well. For a small period of time, a level 50 will usually mean that they are better than you, until the rest of the population can catch up.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
I'll take that small period of salt for a new level cap. To be honest I didn't even think they would do something like increase it, so I was never really gunning for it, but now that it's there I'm hyped to play some more Splatoon regularly just to reach that new cap, especially if they sprinkle some of the new gear in their as unlocks along the way.

Dragoomba

Inkling
So is the 2v2 mode actually just 2v2v2v2? I'm going to be somewhat disappointed if that's the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
My opinion, the new levels should just require exponentially insane amounts of required xp to reach. That way, you don't just grind for X amount of days and poof you are level 50. It just happens when it happens, you reach level 25, great. Reach level 30, maybe that means you've been playing since the game came out this year. Hit level 50, maybe you've been playing the game for years now. I hope it rises to the level of game maturity rather than how to cheat your way to max. It was bad enough on MK8 when the score limit was raised from 9,999 to 99,999 and a few days later you saw players with that score, you know mathematically it was impossible to play that many games to hit the max that quickly, so cheating as abound. I hope the same doesn't happen with this when the cap is raised and you start seeing level 50 characters the next day through some type of cheat or loophole in scoring.

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
So is the 2v2 mode actually just 2v2v2v2? I'm going to be somewhat disappointed if that's the case.

Nice meme arrows, waifufag.
The way I see it, is that you will still have two teams, but both teams have two sets of people who knows each other, but they don't know the other half of their team.

Dragoomba

Inkling
The way I see it, is that you will still have two teams, but both teams have two sets of people who knows each other, but they don't know the other half of their team.
I don't know, there's just something inconsistent about it to me. 4 player and 2 player parties have more emphasis, while the 3 player parties are shoved off to the side. It kind of makes it feel like a different game mode.

Actually, on that note. Does creating a 3 person party give you a 3v4?

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I don't know, there's just something inconsistent about it to me. 4 player and 2 player parties have more emphasis, while the 3 player parties are shoved off to the side. It kind of makes it feel like a different game mode.

Actually, on that note. Does creating a 3 person party give you a 3v4?

The problem is that the maps are only designed with two teams in mind, so I find it hard to believe that 4 separate teams of two will be competing with one another. 2 pairs = 1 team makes more sense.

As for trio battles, I dunno, that is a very awkward number, and I wouldn't imagine why anyone would ever want to play a 3v4. I want to see someone translate those tweets for clarification, or maybe we will hear something soon from NoA or NoE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom