• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The August update will hit 8/6 next Thursday!

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Your signature points out that you are an A+ in ranked battles. You're always going to be teamed up with other A-rank players, and not newbies. That's why I said turf war.

And this game is supposed to be fun for everyone, not cater towards hardcore players only. Of course there will be newbies playing the game, because there ARE non-competitive people out there who play games to have fun, even if they are bad at the games, which is completely acceptable.
Fair enough.

But while the more players, the better; ideally you want the game to be strong and popular, everyone does. But don't complain when you're suddenly plagued with the experience of people who fail to do something on your team.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
You aren't seeing the problem, I am referring to. The problem with A+ right now, is the fact that:

1) Getting a FULL A+ Lobby is uncommon.
2) Small pool of A+ players. So small, you can join your friends<wtf

These problems will become even more of an eye sore, with more ranks being added above it.

And for the love of god, region lock would be greatly appreciated for rank games. I would love to keep my games more honest.
Well since all the S and S+ players would've been in A+ anyway had it not existed, there's not really much difference between an all A+ lobby before and a A/S/S+ lobby now. The matches won't change, still the same players, but their ranking is just a little more granular now, which should be a good thing.

Amen on the region lock though. And I don't give a damn if it means longer queue times, that's a price I'm willing to pay to never see another time-traveling Japanese Dynamo again.

tfw I'm just a poor scrub who very nearly fell down to B last night, and now there's definitely no hope of me ever making it to the top

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Calm your ****, I legitimately couldn't tell that's what you were asking for, and yeah, what's in Mario Kart 8 counts as live spectating despite your precious picky princess standards.

And what you're asking for actually shouldn't be implemented, because improving competitive QOL would boil down to having a person scout out the opposing team and give the spectating team an unfair advantage. Being able to spectate your friends would be cool for reasons other than the competitive cheating you're whinging about though, but they'd have to find some way that you can only spectate the members of your friend's team.

And if people are expected to go to third-party programs for voice chat, they can settle with streaming for spectating their friends.
I never said it didn't count as live spectating, I said it didn't count as a live spectating mode. You specifically replied to a post saying MK8 had a live spectating mode, which it does not. That is the context we were talking in. Stop backpedaling and trying to change the subject.

You can literally just have the option to assign a spectating code to each game that a spectator has to have to watch it. Boom problem solved. It sounds like you didn't think it through very much, there are many easy solutions to your problems with a spectating mode. I have know clue what you are talking about in regards to me whining about competitive cheating, so idk about that. Anyway this is all superfluous stuff I just felt like typing out, what I was intending to talk about is in the first paragraph.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Level 50 max cap? Well, unless it will unlock something new, having that many levels will be more for showing experience and time played. So a room with a bunch of level 20 players will be expected better than the lower level players only due to experience and wisdom. I've played just regular turf wars where I was the only level 20 player and everyone else was barely above level 3 (yeah, those happen) and you can see the learning process in action. These matches are fun because your team really follows your lead (like ducks!) and the other team reminds you when you first started playing Splatoon and all newbie mistakes you made learning. The home base is never covered, out of the way areas are not covered and everyone is just busy fighting in the middle or shooting the shield at the enemy base wondering what is going on, while you watch and giggle.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
A live spectator is another client that has to be kept in sync, which is just adding more strain on the host. This game's netcode already isn't the best, I had to go out and buy a new router because my old one would throw a fit whenever the game wanted me to host - and only did so for this game.

Does it really need to be live that badly? A match is a match, who cares if it's a replay?

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
I never said it didn't count as live spectating, I said it didn't count as a live spectating mode. You specifically replied to a post saying MK8 had a live spectating mode, which it does not. That is the context we were talking in. Stop backpedaling and trying to change the subject.

You can literally just have the option to assign a spectating code to each game that a spectator has to have to watch it. Boom problem solved. It sounds like you didn't think it through very much, there are many easy solutions to your problems with a spectating mode. I have know clue what you are talking about in regards to me whining about competitive cheating, so idk about that. Anyway this is all superfluous stuff I just felt like typing out, what I was intending to talk about is in the first paragraph.
You need a Snickers or something? You seriously need to calm down, I just didn't know what your were specifically referring to; didn't realize there was so much more importance attached to a single word in your sentence over all the others.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Well since all the S and S+ players would've been in A+ anyway had it not existed, there's not really much difference between an all A+ lobby before and a A/S/S+ lobby now. The matches won't change, still the same players, but their ranking is just a little more granular now, which should be a good thing.

Amen on the region lock though. And I don't give a damn if it means longer queue times, that's a price I'm willing to pay to never see another time-traveling Japanese Dynamo again.

tfw I'm just a poor scrub who very nearly fell down to B last night, and now there's definitely no hope of me ever making it to the top
I have to agree, unless the math for S class is changed. If you really lose double more points than win in S class, it will be very frustrating for random matches because that means 2 teams of equally good players can be unbalanced by one disconnected, goofing off, interrupted player. I've played all the way up to A+ and as an experiment, played to see how far one can drop. You can go from A+ to C- in the same day with nothing more than bad luck. That is reason I don't take the Ranked battles to heart too seriously because player skills can be trumped by too many uncontrollable circumstances in the game.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Fair enough.

But while the more players, the better; ideally you want the game to be strong and popular, everyone does. But don't complain when you're suddenly plagued with the experience of people who fail to do something on your team.
Many teamed random multiplayer games are going to be like that, not just Splatoon. Why should I get so bothered over that when it's naturally expected, yet I still got the game in spite of it? I can just leave the group of players after the match, anyways (though I usually only leave when I encounter bad lag).

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
I'm really looking forward to finding a dedicated group to go into ranked with. It would make playing ranked a lot less stressful when you have people who you know playing with you.

Feryn Hyrk

Full Squid
What you guys are fussing about? Haven't you read it?

LEATHER JACKETS CONFIRMED!!!

My first miiverse post was about wanting a Ramones outfit, we already had sunglasses, just wish it wasn't "Last-Ditch-Effort" on them :~~~~

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Pretty sure 'Slosher' is the weapon type (bucket) and 'Bloblobber' is just a type of Slosher.
No reason they'd name the weapon itself something different in the EU localisation, it's not the case with any other weapon.
Ok yeah that makes more sense, don't know why I hadn't thought that was the case.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
You need a Snickers or something? You seriously need to calm down, I just didn't know what your were specifically referring to; didn't realize there was so much more importance attached to a single word in your sentence over all the others.
I am perfectly calm as clearly evidenced by the post you responded to (my first post was pretty snarky, but I was just matching the tone I perceived in your first response to me), you are just trying to deflect the discussion to something other than the topic we were actually talking about. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't do that, as that actually does make me rather irritated.

You quoted someone saying something about spectator mode and said mk8 had that, I assumed you would know what you replied to when you typed it out but apparently I was wrong. I'm not even being salty or anything, that's literally what happened. It is obvious to anyone that there is spectating in MK8, but that is vastly different than a spectating mode. You could watch someone play MK8 and say that is spectating, I mean basically that is what spectating random WWs might as well be. If you cared to look up the definition of the word "mode" you would see that spectating and spectating mode mean two vastly different things in the context of our conversation. I don't know if you just didn't know what you were replying to, or are faking ignorance, but either way I was making my points based entirely around the absence of a mode for spectating in MK8.

Last edited:

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Me being calm has zero effect on the points I actually made.
It kinda does; it's making you think this is an argument that you're making valid points on, instead of just you raging at someone for having a different definition as to what constitutes a live spectator mode.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
It kinda does; it's making you think this is an argument that you're making valid points on, instead of just you raging at someone for having a different definition as to what constitutes a live spectator mode.
And here you are completely ignoring my points when I am clearly not raging at you, further proving my point that you are deflecting discussion to my apparent "raging" and not 99% of the rest of my post. This is why we can't have good discussions, people get upset people don't agree with them then claim the other person is "raging" at them instead of either responding or admitting they are wrong. It's honestly pretty pathetic, I expected better but I guess this is what I get from the internet.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
Err, A+ here. Don't understand. I love the idea of something even better to strive for.

Anyway, beautiful update. The addition of matchmaking is so good, and SO. MANY. OPTIONS! : D

S rank is something I wanted. Just like the sound of S rank as a Sonic fan, as well as a video game fan in general who encounters this.

New weapons are amazing looking. Can't wait for them. (Though I want the rebrand version of the bucket more).

No information on the maps, but thats fine. We just got camp trigger fish. I do want to listen to the new bgms though! <3
Same here. I'm also A+ and having a higher rank is awesome since I'd get more money and upgrade my gear faster.

I can't wait for the new maps and music! I'm gonna add it to the Squid Beatz thread when it comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom