• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The August update will hit 8/6 next Thursday!

thefro

Full Squid

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
Too much excite on my part...
Praise be to longevity and legitimately cool things I want sooner rather than later. ;-;

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
Is there a thread where all the information is collected and presented well?

When companies listen/cater to the casuals who crave stuff they don't actually understand/care about. All the people who were clamoring for a level cap increase (even though absolutely pointless) got their wishes. New 'content' should not be a pointless grind. 50 levels to grind out will definitely alienate and turn away new players beyond that update. Welcome to nearly every MMORPG I've ever played!
You assume that you need to be lvl 50 to get the new content, is that confirmed? If not, then they might keep most content obtained at level 30. And the extra levels are just for bragging sake/accomplishment, I for one hate playing mass games and it being capped at 20. I would like the levels to be unlimited, that doesnt mean gear needs to come with each level. I just want it to get experience for each game, as much as the next competitive person wants to rank to A+/S+.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I doubt they're gonna hold weapons off to lv.50, mostly since it'll take a stupidly long amount of time for anyone to hit that level.

It'll probably just be for show.

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
Very happy to see this. Oh, and I believe "Slosher" is a very fitting name for the bucket.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
You assume that you need to be lvl 50 to get the new content, is that confirmed? If not, then they might keep most content obtained at level 30. And the extra levels are just for bragging sake/accomplishment, I for one hate playing mass games and it being capped at 20. I would like the levels to be unlimited, that doesnt mean gear needs to come with each level. I just want it to get experience for each game, as much as the next competitive person wants to rank to A+/S+.
I agree, the levels should serve some purpose like it does now, but after a point, you are on your own. The levels would just be simpler experience gauge, so instead of saying you got 1,632,814,971,570 xp, you could simply show level 35 and it's easier to figure out mentally that this player has played a lot of games and probably know his/her way around the map and weapons or game mode.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Hey, waitasec, is it really only S and S+? Are they skipping over S-?
S ranks don't have minuses ;)

This update exceeds my highest expectations. Guess I underestimated Nintendo big time, won't happen again ^^

The higher level cap is nice, but even if 50 seems high now, I'm sure it will be a breeze leveling up. Does anyone have a chart for the exp you needed until lv. 20? I know 20 was 30k, so if they add an average of 4k per level, that's a total of 2.76M - not too intimidating as you can rack up a good 100k easily in one ranked session.

And about ranked sessions. I will be playing A LOT of them thanks to the glorious duo, trio and quad queues. Quad was to be expected, but I'm really happy Nintendo added the smaller ones, too. This is by far the best feature of the update besides the private matchmaking.

Finally the matchmaking: These options look great! I liked the idea of 1v1s before, but as Nintendo praised the team aspect of Splatoon so much, I feared they would strictly ignore modes with less than 8 players. Now we'll need a 1v1 ladder on Squidboards :p

Kryzz

Full Squid
NNID
Valdraya
I don't understand people's obsessions with grind walls. Guild Wars 1 was a good example why you don't need a high level cap. Different kind of game sure, but just like in that game, it has a level 20 cap where 1-20 is essentially an extended tutorial to get you acclimatized to all parts of the game, and after that, the game is fully open to you, it just becomes about you and your skill. That system works.

Atleast I can't imagine it getting to the point of Mario Kart where people play in weak rooms to get more points.

Is not in Mario Kart 8.

Anyway I'm really hyped for this update, looks like I can't try random crap in A+ anymore though. Also did anyone else notice that 30 more levels are added and rerolling gear costs 30k? Maybe it's cost will go down 1k for every level up from 20.
I really hope not since I've spent millions already upgrading half of my gear to 3 subslots

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Finally the matchmaking: These options look great! I liked the idea of 1v1s before, but as Nintendo praised the team aspect of Splatoon so much, I feared they would strictly ignore modes with less than 8 players. Now we'll need a 1v1 ladder on Squidboards :p
Yeah I'm pretty excited about 1v1 - it'll be interesting to see if it takes off like duels in the more serious FPSs.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
Hopefully the update should bring back players who left before, the amount of content in this update is surely something to come back to.

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
If it requires an internet connection it's not LAN...
Not necessarily, it could require the internet connection to access certain data (the updated maps mostly), but still communicating the game on LAN if it's 8 Wii Us. It's unlikely, but it's possible.

Pyritie

Full Squid
NNID
Pyritie
I can't find the source, but I remember reading an interview somewhere where the creators said that levels were mostly just meant to be an indication of how long you've played for and not much else. So my guess is level 21+ won't unlock anything extra.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I can't find the source, but I remember reading an interview somewhere where the creators said that levels were mostly just meant to be an indication of how long you've played for and not much else. So my guess is level 21+ won't unlock anything extra.
This is both a good thing and a bad thing. It is good, since it means you don't need to grind out levels to try out the new content asap, but it is a bad thing since it serves no purpose besides saying, hey, I have played for X amount of time.

In the beginning, the level system let's people know who is good and who isn't, but this quickly becomes a moot point as all players will eventually get to that level, which is exactly why a level system is pointless.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Not necessarily, it could require the internet connection to access certain data (the updated maps mostly), but still communicating the game on LAN if it's 8 Wii Us. It's unlikely, but it's possible.
My guess is that you still need a Nintendo server to run the game. Otherwise, you would need to have extra stuff added to the update to generate the new "server" on the LAN mode. Doing this means that one player is going to be both host server and client, which means extra CPU is need to do both task. Having 8 players running around spreading ink might be CPU intensive and hurt whoever is playing the server/client machine. From a technical standpoint, I've seen matches where so much ink is flying around it causes game lag (guess because so much CPU processing is needed to figure out all the overlapping ink splats). From a technical standpoint, I've done a lot of game design over the past decades. So I can see this game using a lot of CPU because it has to keep track of more than just which players are running around and shooting at each other. It has to calculate splat volumes, splat distance, ink arc, speeds, and keep track of which areas are painted (walls, floors, objects, etc.)

I think it serves another purpose. If the next update gave you a copy of the "server" code then it opens it up to looking for hacks or exploits to use against the official Nintendo servers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom