• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 The Best Weapon in the Game?

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
The best weapon is your weapon unless you want to drive yourself up a wall at trying to be the best at a game that makes that clearly impossible. The real question is what is the best weapon for the ranked matches depending on the modes. Turf War is flexible.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Any answer besides Splattershot for best weapon is always going to be subjective. And the title of "worst weapon" belongs more to a handful of poor choices than any single weapon, since the ones discussed here all fail in different but monumental ways.

I still remember the horror of twin league, when I was paired with maniacs using the E-liter 4K and Tenta Brella. Why...?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Any answer besides Splattershot for best weapon is always going to be subjective. And the title of "worst weapon" belongs more to a handful of poor choices than any single weapon, since the ones discussed here all fail in different but monumental ways.

I still remember the horror of twin league, when I was paired with maniacs using the E-liter 4K and Tenta Brella. Why...?
The best thing about the less versatile weapons is how often people in pair leagues both pick the same kind of weapon. Two snipers? Thanks. Two rollers? Oh, thanks. Two brushes... thanks, thanks. Two tentabrellas? Two splatlings? Thank you so very much.

That's not to say that any of those weapons are specifically the worst, but they automatically become the worst when there's two or more of them. You can't say that for the splattershot or even many other weapons in this game.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
The best weapon is your weapon unless you want to drive yourself up a wall at trying to be the best at a game that makes that clearly impossible. The real question is what is the best weapon for the ranked matches depending on the modes. Turf War is flexible.
Agai. The topic is "best weapon" and not "your best weapon" or "most picked".
I could be the most skilled swordsman in the world, and a machine gun would still be the better weapon. Might not be the better weapon in my hands, but nonetheless a better weapon.
Also tier lists are part theory, part experience, and lots of subjectivity.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Agai. The topic is "best weapon" and not "your best weapon" or "most picked".
I could be the most skilled swordsman in the world, and a machine gun would still be the better weapon. Might not be the better weapon in my hands, but nonetheless a better weapon.
Also tier lists are part theory, part experience, and lots of subjectivity.
Your point is not good. What you are basically saying is that a sniper is always better then a splattershot because of more range (or something). This discussion might not be meant for personal preference but there is no way around personal preference. A splattershot is useless for me because I can't/don't like to play aggressively. I somehow can't play with anything else than the Splattershot Pro, Jet-Squelcher and Duallie-Squelchers and even if someone is very close to me there is still a high chance for me to win no matter there range and fire-rate.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Your point is not good. What you are basically saying is that a sniper is always better then a splattershot because of more range (or something). This discussion might not be meant for personal preference but there is no way around personal preference. A splattershot is useless for me because I can't/don't like to play aggressively. I somehow can't play with anything else than the Splattershot Pro, Jet-Squelcher and Duallie-Squelchers and even if someone is very close to me there is still a high chance for me to win no matter there range and fire-rate.
Again the title is "best weapon in the game" . Reread what I wrote, your answer is in there.

Ok how about this.
The switch vs the Xbox one x, which is more powerful?
Now let's say the only game I played on the X was cuphead, and I've played every game on the Switch. Which is more powerful?
If I have played every game on the X, and Switch, which do I play more?
That is up to me my personal preference, and the answer is the Switch. I'm a Nintendo fan and I like Splatoon.
The same goes for weapons and tier lists. A tier list is never set in stone, but unless your tier list puts weapons in spots that most of the community would disagree with, they really can't disprove you.

If your best weapons are the tenta brella, gootuber, and flingza roller, no one can say anything about that. If you say those are the best weapons in the game.....

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Again the title is "best weapon in the game" . Reread what I wrote, your answer is in there.

Ok how about this.
The switch vs the Xbox one x, which is more powerful?
Now let's say the only game I played on the X was cuphead, and I've played every game on the Switch. Which is more powerful?
If I have played every game on the X, and Switch, which do I play more?
That is up to me my personal preference, and the answer is the Switch. I'm a Nintendo fan and I like Splatoon.
The same goes for weapons and tier lists. A tier list is never set in stone, but unless your tier list puts weapons in spots that most of the community would disagree with, they really can't disprove you.

If your best weapons are the tenta brella, gootuber, and flingza roller, no one can say anything about that. If you say those are the best weapons in the game.....
I get the point here as good as you are with a weapon and as well as you may know there are just certain weapon that simply do a better job.

For example the new squiffer had the highest skill ceiling in Splatoon 1 and was also my main, I was good with it.
However would a squiffer ever beat a splattershot in coverage? Can a team play all new squiffers and win? Or maybe Would you see a new squiffer (or maybe nowadays a e-liter 4k scope) on every team on every map and mode in a competitive scene?

NO, if you are doing this then seriously branch out your options, cause this is neither fun nor productive

The idea of the best weapon is it is a weapon that covers multiple options, can work well in a composition, and can adapt the way they play in response to a situation.
Yes skill is a factor and learning a weapon is good idea....but in a game with this much variety and options some tools are going to better and some will be worse.

Also keep in mind If they were all good there wouldn't need to be balancing and patches for weapons.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
I get the point here as good as you are with a weapon and as well as you may know there are just certain weapon that simply do a better job.

For example the new squiffer had the highest skill ceiling in Splatoon 1 and was also my main, I was good with it.
However would a squiffer ever beat a splattershot in coverage? Can a team play all new squiffers and win? Or maybe Would you see a new squiffer (or maybe nowadays a e-liter 4k scope) on every team on every map and mode in a competitive scene?

NO, if you are doing this then seriously branch out your options, cause this is neither fun nor productive

The idea of the best weapon is it is a weapon that covers multiple options, can work well in a composition, and can adapt the way they play in response to a situation.
Yes skill is a factor and learning a weapon is good idea....but in a game with this much variety and options some tools are going to better and some will be worse.

Also keep in mind If they were all good there wouldn't need to be balancing and patches for weapons.
You are arguing points I'm not making lol. First of all this was a "what do you think best weapon is?" Not "what is the most versatile weapon?" "What weapon can all 4 players run on a team and win?".
Also as I said in my previous post "tier lists are part experience, part theory, and a lot of subjectivity".
But I can understand your confusion because it is impossible to make a definitive tier lists for this game. Too many variables including the following; maps, gear, teammates' gear+weapons, and game modes.

Using that as your guide, most tier lists for this game try to guess which one has the greatest balance of all of those things. I personally believe there is not much separation from the top 10-15 guns.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@RoronoaTREY15
Sorry I quoted the wrong post.... I was agreeing with what you said just phrasing it towards a competitie and meta analysis view

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I'll say it's the Splattershots, they have been one of the most effective and most commonly used weapons in Splatoons history (ever since Splatoon 1 to now).

From top tier Tournaments, to Ranked, to Turf War, and even League battles there hasn't been a mode or map that its a bad choice using the Splattershot, it has always been that flexible weapon that you can use in just about any situation and have an impact on the match in some way if you were a good enough player (where other weapons that might specialize in a curtain playstyle might struggle on curtain maps and gamemodes).

Also, unlike other weapons the come in and out for favor (like the Tri-Slosher in Splatoon 2 got nerfed to the point where nobody really uses it anymore, or how the Splatbrella went from being a "subpar" weapon to a great one in a single balance patch) as new balance patches change the metagame the Splattershot has always had a place the metagame regardless of what weapons got nerfed or buffed.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
In terms of what is currently dominant in the competitive meta my observation of recent tournaments has seen Brella, Splattershot, Sloshing machine, and possibly a rise in Ranged blaster usage some time in the future.

I think after the mobility buffs given to brella it is a much more versatile weapon when going face to face against other close ranged or heavy suppression-like weapons given it's defensive and support (turfing) capabilities.

Splattershot being used over ttek should not come to a surprise to anyone after the buffs to splashdown and how impactful the splashdown + burst bomb combo is. The fact that they extended the distance of the outer ring of damage the splashdown makes means that the splattershot has more lethal range outside of it's own main weapon range turning it into much needed front liner slayer.

Sloshing machine, as funny as it is to see it being in the higher tiers of this game's meta after what Splat 1 has shown us means that it too is on the receiving end of slightly indirect over direct benefits. it is the most reliable killing weapon of the current line of sloshers and outside of that is of course the stingray's new buff allowing it to expand more and apply more damage in a 3d space.

Ranged blaster is fairly self explanatory, the passive damaging mechanic is has is fairly strong and considering it can cover a long range allows for more of an impact at safer distances. Also i find it hilarious that they decided to release blackbelly right after releasing that weapon, go figure.

Overall, I dont think there is a single weapon that dominates everything right now, which is fairly pleasant considering all we've had to deal with after the gal. and elitre mess.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Splattershot being used over ttek should not come to a surprise to anyone after the buffs to splashdown and how impactful the splashdown + burst bomb combo is.
Nintendo really needs to do something about this mess they created; I was initially so happy the Splatoon 2 had no panic-button specials unlike its predecessor, until this nonsense. I mean, with how quickly you come back down, there's really no downside to using the Splashdown ever, in stark contrast to the Stingray, that despite having a much better laser, is still scary to use with how vulnerable you are. My suggestion would be to add some lag after using it, so you can't just lob a burst bomb and give the Splashdown twice the effective lethal range, which is already large.

Last edited:

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Look for clash blaster to rise in the meta too. Range that is better than a splattershot, stingray, and splat bombs.
This gun is rediculous.
But I think the biggest problem is that the specials we're buffed to be equal to inkjet, but they nerfed inkjet.
The meta is too reliant on specials right now and it is rediculous lol.

Wumboeth

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0266-9981-9987
Look for clash blaster to rise in the meta too. Range that is better than a splattershot, stingray, and splat bombs.
This gun is rediculous.
But I think the biggest problem is that the specials we're buffed to be equal to inkjet, but they nerfed inkjet.
The meta is too reliant on specials right now and it is rediculous lol.
Def agree specials are too prevalent right now. The worst part is that the balance patches have been dramatically buffing and killing specials so the meta rapidly shuffles (besides the Splattershots) around the patches not because of main weapon changes, but because of special changes.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Def agree specials are too prevalent right now. The worst part is that the balance patches have been dramatically buffing and killing specials so the meta rapidly shuffles (besides the Splattershots) around the patches not because of main weapon changes, but because of special changes.
Yeah you saw the mass exodus from ttek to vanilla splattershot after the inkjet was nerfed and splashdown was buffed lol

CreeperFishStix

Inkling
NNID
DJFS317
Switch Friend Code
SW-7267-5413-7511
WARNING!! UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Ahem...

According to all of the time I have spent playing this game, there simply is not a "best" weapon in Splatoon 2. Different weapons have different roles, and benefit in different maps, modes, situations, team compositions, and player style.

For example: the Splattershot, highly regarded as the "best" weapon in this game, is heavily offensive, thanks to it's fast TTK, combined with Burst Bombs, one of the "best" sub weapons in the game, and Splashdown, one of the "best" specials in the game as of V 1.3. This allows the weapon to paint well, and kill well by using two or three of the weapon components (those being main, sub, and special weapons) with itself.

However, the weapon has its weaknesses.

First off, it is outranged and outplayed by a multitude of weapons. In fact, if you are getting beat out by a Splattershot, you are either using the wrong weapon, or you're playing the right weapons wrong. For example, with the recent patch, the Custom Jet Squelcher has a fighting chance against a Splattershot, as long as you can stay out of their range. Basically, if you have enough skill and intelligence, you should have no problem defending yourself against a Splattershot.

Second, most Splattershot users are simply abusing their weapon's powerful capabilities (at least the ones I've seen). If you can do what your opponent does with their weapon better with your weapon, you will at least get a trade 99% of the time. Translated to English, you need to use your weapon's capabilities better than you opponent can use their weapon's capabilities.

That's my two cents worth. Let me know if I missed anything!

Last edited:

Halite

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0998-8510-2402
Best weapon vs "your" best weapon.
I’ve steamrolled plenty of splattershot/splatbrella/blaster/slosher users with the splat roller in my day tyvm
But I will admit with the amount of times I get overwhelmed by the blaster series I consider trying to use one

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
WARNING!! UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Ahem...

According to all of the time I have spent playing this game, there simply is not a "best" weapon in Splatoon 2. Different weapons have different roles, and benefit in different maps, modes, situations, team compositions, and player style.

For example: the Splattershot, highly regarded as the "best" weapon in this game, is heavily offensive, thanks to it's fast TTK, combined with Burst Bombs, one of the "best" sub weapons in the game, and Splashdown, one of the "best" specials in the game as of V 1.3. This allows the weapon to paint well, and kill well by using two or three of the weapon components (those being main, sub, and special weapons) with itself.

However, the weapon has its weaknesses.

First off, it is outranged and outplayed by a multitude of weapons. In fact, if you are getting beat out by a Splattershot, you are either using the wrong weapon, or you're playing the right weapons wrong. For example, with the recent patch, the Custom Jet Squelcher has a fighting chance against a Splattershot, as long as you can stay out of their range. Basically, if you have enough skill and intelligence, you should have no problem defending yourself against a Splattershot.

Second, most Splattershot users are simply abusing their weapon's powerful capabilities (at least the ones I've seen). If you can do what your opponent does with their weapon better with your weapon, you will at least get a trade 99% of the time. Translated to English, you need to use your weapon's capabilities better than you opponent can use their weapon's capabilities.

That's my two cents worth. Let me know if I missed anything!
Yes Fisboi, this is correct, but when you have 1 weapon that does everything and does it well how is it not the best? Splattershot has no weaknesses. None. The only thing that even comes to mind is Range, but 1. You have burst bombs to help with that 2. It’s a lot easier to rush down chargers in this game 3. You probably aren’t going to ever be fighting long range weapons. The game is dominated by short range weapons that paint fast and kill faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom