• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I don't block bad players, personally. There's an equal chance they'll appear on the other team, making it much easier for us!

But really, i thought WUT was a canadian group? Why do i keep seeing it over here too, then? I have to content with BOTH G&K and WUT? Have mercy, matchmaking gods!

Somewhat more on-topic, i really dislike how now all the meta weapons are stupidly easy to learn while anything beneath is actually fun but nowhere near as strong as the top-tier stuff. The term high-risk high-reward just doesn't exist in this game, just either low-risk high-reward and high-risk low-reward.
Sure you can practise with the .96/Squeezer, but why bother when you can play N-Zap and get wins by walking around the map holding ZR and pressing the right bumper occasionally. It's so stupid.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I'm not salty or anything, more... down. ;c I've noticed that when I play Splat Zones it seems to happen the same way--my team is in the lead in the beginning, then the other team wipes us and they get an awesome comeback which we can't stop. How do you play in such situations? HALP!!
I mean, I know you're supposed to charge up your Specials and try to use them in conjunction with each other, but that's easier said than done (especially when time is short)... Can you do something else, too? Flanking helps sometimes, I s'pose...

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Somewhat more on-topic, i really dislike how now all the meta weapons are stupidly easy to learn while anything beneath is actually fun but nowhere near as strong as the top-tier stuff. The term high-risk high-reward just doesn't exist in this game, just either low-risk high-reward and high-risk low-reward.
Sure you can practise with the .96/Squeezer, but why bother when you can play N-Zap and get wins by walking around the map holding ZR and pressing the right bumper occasionally. It's so stupid.
So you've noticed this too, huh? It's so seriously annoying how the weapons I like and want to get good with are nowhere near as universally accepted and useful as the usual meta. I understand that those weapons are meta defining for a reason, but I think it wouldn't hurt to have a little subtlety in the distinctions.

Speaking of which, I had a terrible slump yesterday that has me feeling kinda down on things. So I'm on playing with a friend and I am noticing that there are certain players that are always on the enemy team that seem to be able to do the impossible. Such as extending the range of their Dapple Dualies or being able to snipe me with a Splatterscope without actually hitting me. Just aiming off to my left in my general direction was enough. Now I am certain that I can chalk that up to some combination of poor play and iffy connection. But when you lose as many as 7 out of every 9 matches, something starts to feel off. Did much better later on in the day playing with a different friend. Still need to get that sodium deposit out though so I can continue practicing with the Rapid Blaster.

SH101

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8123-4313-8823
So you've noticed this too, huh? It's so seriously annoying how the weapons I like and want to get good with are nowhere near as universally accepted and useful as the usual meta. I understand that those weapons are meta defining for a reason, but I think it wouldn't hurt to have a little subtlety in the distinctions.

Speaking of which, I had a terrible slump yesterday that has me feeling kinda down on things. So I'm on playing with a friend and I am noticing that there are certain players that are always on the enemy team that seem to be able to do the impossible. Such as extending the range of their Dapple Dualies or being able to snipe me with a Splatterscope without actually hitting me. Just aiming off to my left in my general direction was enough. Now I am certain that I can chalk that up to some combination of poor play and iffy connection. But when you lose as many as 7 out of every 9 matches, something starts to feel off. Did much better later on in the day playing with a different friend. Still need to get that sodium deposit out though so I can continue practicing with the Rapid Blaster.
I been on some bad loosing streaks latley against the meta as well.. In my situations lately i’ve had tons of dulie players in the lobby’s and a lot more Japanese players (which I love because they’re generally really good),and it makes me better playing in lobbies where at least 5 of the players are above 50.. Unfortunately they are generally all on the other team and really aggressive. I’ll have any of the single digit level players and a 1 or 2 kill charger player. My .96 ( or now deco) does me great when i have a pretty good team but if i got scrubs I’m pretty much stuck keeping our spawn inked and trying not to get killed by 3 squids at the same time. It gets frustrating for sure. My meta weapon is dulie squelchers. After 10 or so straight losses I’ll switch it up and start running it. At least if I keep loosing I can ink 1200 plus every time which is usually more than the top on the winning team as well.At least then I can feel like i’m helping my team as much as I can.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
What exactly is the meta anyway? From my experience I would guess Splattershot, N-Zap, Forge Pro, Sloshing Machine, most Dualies, and most Blasters.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
What exactly is the meta anyway? From my experience I would guess Splattershot, N-Zap, Forge Pro, Sloshing Machine, most Dualies, and most Blasters.
Since no major buffs and nerfs are happening right now there's more experimenting going on which I think is awesome. Pre-G5 I'd say N-Zap, Forge Pro, Sloshing Machine, Blaster, maybe like Rapid or splattershot. But since then people have been using Tri-Slosher, more Splattershot + TTek, Dualies, Enperry's, Dynamo, Slosher Deco, more Rapid and Brella. I love seeing people play different weapons and I hope to see som 96 Deco from Dude. Also would love to see more slosher, rapid and stuff. We'll probably get patch notes soon enough here I'm assuming and I have no clue what to anticipate. Hoping for more buffs to weaker weapons. They can leave the already popular weapons alone but I wanna see more weapons being used.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Splooshes and Gold Aeros as far as the eyes can see in Turf. The occasional roller or charger. A fair number of Splattershots and Juniors too. I assume these are the current meta weapons, at least.

SH101

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8123-4313-8823
sploosh-o-matic, areospreys, and all the dulies in my experience..
Ya there is more variety than what i claimed above generally.. I’ve just been in dulie hell the last few times i’ve been on.. Like 4 in every lobby i’ve been in the last few days..

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
One quick Rainmaker question if you don’t mind.

I’ve already covered this once before and I think there is a need to address this again, but what is the strategy you guys are going for after you break the barrier?

I’ve essentially cleared out at least three opponents! Why is there a lack of urgency when getting the Rainmaker to the point where that one remaining opponent ends up getting it after over 15 seconds of it being ignored? As soon as the thing explodes someone should be right on top of it. If you break it, take it even if you go down only a few points. At the least, it will delay them from getting it while they face an incoming onslaught.

What am I missing here? Someone please explain.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
One quick Rainmaker question if you don’t mind.

I’ve already covered this once before and I think there is a need to address this again, but what is the strategy you guys are going for after you break the barrier?

I’ve essentially cleared out at least three opponents! Why is there a lack of urgency when getting the Rainmaker to the point where that one remaining opponent ends up getting it after over 15 seconds of it being ignored? As soon as the thing explodes someone should be right on top of it. If you break it, take it even if you go down only a few points. At the least, it will delay them from getting it while they face an incoming onslaught.

What am I missing here? Someone please explain.
It's not always a good idea to grab the rainmaker as soon as it pops. You're functionally removing your main, sub, and special weapon when you do. Grabbing the rainmaker when enemies are about or you don't have map control can easily result in a pointless death.

Of course, this doesn't excuse people who just ignore the objective entirely, but there's quite a few reasons as to why you don't want to be holding the rainmaker ASAP without some sort of plan.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
After last night, reviewing my stats in Splatnet is a salty salves.

Waited four full matches to turf war with a friend. 14 matches played, 4 wins, 10 losses, 6 teammate disconnects, 5 of those on my team, and 2 of those rage quits...

I need a coktail and something to burn down!

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
This weapon is ridiculous

(The loss at the bottom was with the rapid blaster btw)

And for those of you asking, no I'm not an N-Zap main, ask anyone who has known me for more than 2 weeks, and they'll tell you I main blasters. And no, I don't practice with this weapon at all. I just picked it up, covered turf and won. I didn't get carried by my teammates either. I shouldn't be able to do this so effortlessly in S+ rank (the highest skill tier in the game) with a weapon that I played maybe 4 games before with.

TechSkylander1518

Full Squid
Never would I have guessed I would have so much salt on Salmon Run.
  • First Run-Goes great-then we have some weird disconnect at the end. Five seconds left, all eggs gathered-still get -20.
  • A run that seems good-but gets wiped at the end.
  • Glowflies-coworkers have no clue how to play. Wiped within a few seconds, -20.
  • A good run! The enjoyment is lessened greatly by the fact that this is my first successful run, and I'm teetering above 0.
  • Most recent Run-three crew members have eggs, but we're splatted. Final coworker-"Player"-is far away from everyone else, probably squidparting. (We're at low tide, but Player is hanging out at the base) Time runs out, another -20.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
"Please remove E-Liter from game" a sentence oft repeated in Sploon 1, now still rings true for Sploon 2 for entirely different reasons

The majority of my losses in this Splatfest were entirely because someone picked E4K on my team and only got <2 splats with it. It's a dumpster fire of a weapon, yet people still want to inflict self-flagellation by tormenting themselves with this trashcan of a weapon. Like why, there are easier and far better weapons out there, weapons that'll actually allow you to win?! Shouldn't you try something else when you keep losing games over and over?

Everytime an E4K shows up at an enemy team i immediately run at them and shoot them in the face. Why? Because every single one I've encountered so far cannot aim. It doesn't matter whenever you're standing still or keep running around, they keep missing. If you're feeling particularly cruel you can humiliate them by dancing in circles around them, but still you're better off just splatting them and enjoy the easy win.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
I really only felt up to playing one night this week, but it was totally worthwhile.

...well, after getting out of that lobby with the malicious Dynamo in it.

All-JP lobby. The holy grail of splat experiences for me these days. It was glorious fun. Then friends hopped in to make it 50/50 US-JP, and it got more fun :D

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
Every single game of Tower Control / Rainmaker of my life since blasters were buffed:
  1. Make an early push; secure pretty nice lead
  2. Get wiped by a breathtakingly good blaster player with less than a minute remaining
  3. Lose
  4. Repeat steps 1 through 3

Last edited:

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
After last night, reviewing my stats in Splatnet is a salty salves.

Waited four full matches to turf war with a friend. 14 matches played, 4 wins, 10 losses, 6 teammate disconnects, 5 of those on my team, and 2 of those rage quits...

I need a coktail and something to burn down!
This sounds much like my Splatfest experience. At least as it was yesterday. When I started playing after work on Friday I was decimating the competition! No one could end my reign of terror! Then something happened from the time I went to sleep until the time I woke up the next day. I can easily say that I wasn't playing at my best, but there was something else going on. I kept finding myself grouped with people that made our team average out to be about level 20-30. For the record, I am level 55. But then our enemies would be an average level of 50-80! And in case you're thinking that it would be fairer to match Splatfest power ratings, don't worry, those were all mismatched too. It took me roughly 2-3 hours just to get to max rank because of the terrible matchmaking. I really hope this gets looked at before too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom