The Fan Language of Splatoon

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Woops, sorry. Iirc it was 5.1.something, maybe 5.1.2? It was the stable release.

I do have said this many times though, it's Windows 10.
Figures…

I can confirm that it doesn't work in LibreOffice 5.1.2 or 5.1.3 on Windows 7. Must be simply that LibreOffice, on Windows, uses the an API from the system in order to render text. I'm not even getting the fi or fl ligatures. o_O

I've fixed the first two, but looking at the guide it looks to me like the K-stem syllables are correct...I might be blind tough, so anyone else on the thread want to double check?
I could have also goofed… I was otherwise working on redefining the codepoints in my local 'database' at the time, so maybe I was trying to focus on too many things at one time. I've already shut down my stuff for the night; I'll check it again when I get up.

Jonathx

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jonathx
Vylion said:
You have to install the font on your computer for the Tumblr page to work. Also, MS Word is the only common relevant application where I know it not to work. I've used it many times in Photoshop already, apart from the mentioned LibreOffice Writer.
I have managed to get your ligatures to work in my copy of MS Word, and from what I've been able to find on the internet, it should be supported in all versions of Word released after 2010...but it's not enabled by default, and you have to delve into advanced settings to fix it. You have to

1. write some text in the font
2. select it
3. Rightclick>Font (this is why you have to write it first, new versions of word don't let you access the old-style master Font menu except through the right click drop-down bar because hiding features "makes the GUI sleeker")
4. Switch to the Advanced Tab of the menu
5. Under the "OpenType Features" section go to the "ligatures" option
6. Select "Standard Only" (other options work too, just as long as it's not the default 'none')

This will enable the feature for this session/document but if you want that to be the default behavior for the font, you must additionally

7. Select the "set as default" button in the lower-left corner of the menu
8. Select the "All documents using the Normal.dotm template" (or whatever template you regularly use)
9. Press okay

So it is usable in Word, the feature is just buried in awkward menus...and again, only for versions after 2010.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
It sounds like I might not have to worry about a font? :)

And I found that textbook (it was French, not Italian), so I copied down what each section consisted of. I'll probably end up rearranging some of them though, since I feel some things don't work well where they are. Regardless, @PiyozR when you're done restructuring the vocabulary, would you tell me what the final list of categories are? That way I can have an idea of how to go about tackling the section restructuring

Vylion

Inkling
I have managed to get your ligatures to work in my copy of MS Word, and from what I've been able to find on the internet, it should be supported in all versions of Word released after 2010...but it's not enabled by default, and you have to delve into advanced settings to fix it. You have to

1. write some text in the font
2. select it
3. Rightclick>Font (this is why you have to write it first, new versions of word don't let you access the old-style master Font menu except through the right click drop-down bar because hiding features "makes the GUI sleeker")
4. Switch to the Advanced Tab of the menu
5. Under the "OpenType Features" section go to the "ligatures" option
6. Select "Standard Only" (other options work too, just as long as it's not the default 'none')

This will enable the feature for this session/document but if you want that to be the default behavior for the font, you must additionally

7. Select the "set as default" button in the lower-left corner of the menu
8. Select the "All documents using the Normal.dotm template" (or whatever template you regularly use)
9. Press okay

So it is usable in Word, the feature is just buried in awkward menus...and again, only for versions after 2010.
Ah, that's wonderful! At last we know how to make it work.

Thanks for finding that out. I never got an MS Office copy after 2007 and could have never found that.

Also, I was about to edit this into my last post, but I think it's better to mention it here: the font also works in Chrome 49+, in all websites, including this forum, not just my tumblr. Just put some text between [ FONT=ArowanaSans] and [ /FONT] tags (removing the space after "["). For example, you should be able to see my signature in Inkling.

Last edited:

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
I've fixed the first two, but looking at the guide it looks to me like the K-stem syllables are correct...I might be blind tough, so anyone else on the thread want to double check?
Well… Good news/bad news: I double-checked and I was right. This time I prepared an image to illustrate. The needed correction is shown with the blue arrows.
chart K-stem error.png

Jonathx

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jonathx
I've been working off the version on the inkopolis university site which was last updated 5/20. It has a different association between glyphs and sounds than yours, and is more recent.

KSyllables5_20.PNG

Attachments

Last edited:

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
I've been working off the version on the inkopolis university site which was last updated 5/20. It has a different association between glyphs and sounds than yours, and is more recent.
Meh. I wasn't aware of any newer version. I must have missed the post for it. :oops:

…And the one I was using was very much the odd one out; the 12/23/2015 version shows the same as the 5/20/2016 version.

I'm soooo embarrassed…

Well, at least we really are on the same page now. Although I'm not looking forward to diving in and fixing my stuff…

Jonathx

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jonathx
Meh. I wasn't aware of any newer version. I must have missed the post for it. :oops:

…And the one I was using was very much the odd one out; the 12/23/2015 version shows the same as the 5/20/2016 version.

I'm soooo embarrassed…

Well, at least we really are on the same page now. Although I'm not looking forward to diving in and fixing my stuff…
Don't worry about it. Version confusion happens to the best of us. I'm just glad it's all sorted now.

And no rush to fix everything right this second, I need to focus on final projects soon, so I'll probably be MIA for the next few days. And if other people need the most recent version ASAP, they can look at my spec sheet to at least get a good idea of what's going on, even if it doesn't have all the same info yours will.

On a different note, could you send me a link/doc at some point (again, no rush) detailing what other project-relevant things are where in the PUA? I'd kinda like to make a "Roadmap to Splatoonicode" at some point showing where the Inkling/Octoling/Splatoon-Related-Dingbats-and-Symbols Blocks are in reference to everything else.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
@SyMag Right now the new categories for the PDF are as follows (again, order TBD):
-Turf War
-Splatoon Maps
-Urban Living
-Telling Time
-Family
-People
-Animals
-Food
-Weather
-Geography
-Conversational Inkling
-Sundries and Hobbies
-Science
-Parts of the Body
-General Verbs
-Derivative Verbs
-General Descriptors
-Numbers
-and then all the sections on pronouns, conjunctions, prepositions, punctuation, titles, sample sentences, etc.

I was able to type in the font! Debating whether I should retype all the vocab in the guide in Arowana sans (which is very thin) or stick with the old Inkling serif Regular (which doesn't have a working {be}). By the way, will this font work in Adobe Premiere? This may save the editor of the video lessons a ton of headache.

Vylion

Inkling
@SyMag Right now the new categories for the PDF are as follows (again, order TBD):
-Turf War
-Splatoon Maps
-Urban Living
-Telling Time
-Family
-People
-Animals
-Food
-Weather
-Geography
-Conversational Inkling
-Sundries and Hobbies
-Science
-Parts of the Body
-General Verbs
-Derivative Verbs
-General Descriptors
-Numbers
-and then all the sections on pronouns, conjunctions, prepositions, punctuation, titles, sample sentences, etc.

I was able to type in the font! Debating whether I should retype all the vocab in the guide in Arowana sans (which is very thin) or stick with the old Inkling serif Regular (which doesn't have a working {be}). By the way, will this font work in Adobe Premiere? This may save the editor of the video lessons a ton of headache.
I can do a bolder one from Sunken Sans Bold; Arowana was the first time I made a font ever and to test it I had enough with the thin one.

Also, I'm starting final exams next week and so I won't be able to do much until 24th of June (I'll try to see if I can crunch up an Arowana Bold this weekend in less than 1 day), but if someone could detail me (a PM is ok) exactly what the PUA encoding project exactly aims for, I can try to implement it in Arowana. I don't know if I can move the glyphs while keeping the ligature rules, and rewriting them all will be a pain in the ***, but on July I'll have all the time to myself.

Also on July too I'm planning to make a version of the Roman alphabet that better matches the Inkling aesthetic... but if someone wants to give me a hand and/or get ahead of me, I'll welcome any help.

I don't know about Adobe Premiere, but since it works with Adobe Photoshop CS6, if your Premiere is relatively recent it may work. Google probably has something to say about that.

Last edited:

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
-Turf War
-Splatoon Maps
-Urban Living
-Telling Time
-Family
-People
-Animals
-Food
-Weather
-Geography
-Conversational Inkling
-Sundries and Hobbies
-Science
-Parts of the Body
-General Verbs
-Derivative Verbs
-General Descriptors
-Numbers
Alright I'll start working the outline to fit these topics in

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but should we come up with ways to express the conditional/subjunctive tenses? And in regards to the past tense, there's no distinction between the preterite and the imperfect right?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but should we come up with ways to express the conditional/subjunctive tenses? And in regards to the past tense, there's no distinction between the preterite and the imperfect right?
Conditional and subjunctive would be far to complicated and boring for a casual conlang like Inkling. So would different kinds of past tense.

EDIT to avoid needless double post: Tonight I am going to start sorting the vocab into categories in a separate document. For now, I will type out all the Inkling in bolded Arowana Sans.

Last edited:

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
Conditional and subjunctive would be far to complicated and boring for a casual conlang like Inkling. So would different kinds of past tense.

EDIT to avoid needless double post: Tonight I am going to start sorting the vocab into categories in a separate document. For now, I will type out all the Inkling in bolded Arowana Sans.
Complicated and boring as it may be, it's something that should still be considered. At least the conditional tense anyway, the preterite/imperfect split can probably be neglected without negative consequences.

I'll be hopefully getting back on the computer tomorrow so I can finish up the outline. Are these categories the same you told me about in the previous post, or did you modify the list of categories since then?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I'll be hopefully getting back on the computer tomorrow so I can finish up the outline. Are these categories the same you told me about in the previous post, or did you modify the list of categories since then?
No, I'm using the categories listed above. Right now I'm entering all the vocab in order of relevance and part of speech. I think I'll attach a copy of the new complete vocab list (sans notation and Inkling text) to a post here for you all to check out. If everyone thinks it's all good, I will type out the whole vocab categories in a bolded Arowana Sans to replace thirty-something pages of the PDF.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
No, I'm using the categories listed above. Right now I'm entering all the vocab in order of relevance and part of speech. I think I'll attach a copy of the new complete vocab list (sans notation and Inkling text) to a post here for you all to check out. If everyone thinks it's all good, I will type out the whole vocab categories in a bolded Arowana Sans to replace thirty-something pages of the PDF.
Alright good, then I know what I have to work with. I'll drop in with a Word doc then when I have a rough draft put together

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
Alright everyone, here's a first draft for the new outline. I tried to upload a file, but for some reason it wouldn't happen so I had to re-type everything here. Let me know what you all think of this and if any changes should be made, or if you have questions on anything!

Bold = topics taken from current list of new topics (as of Jun. 6, 2016)
Italics = Grammar topics for that lesson
Underline = Include a list of relevant vocabulary for that lesson here

I. Section I (names TBD)
a. Lesson 1A
i. The alphabet/Pronunciation guide (include Punctuation sec. (S27) here!)
ii. Greetings and goodbyes (include S12 and S13)
iii. Numbers (S14)
iv. Colors
b. Lesson 1B
i. People and things around Inkopolis (Turf War/Splatoon Maps)
ii. Subject pronouns
iii. The verb “to be”
iv. Descriptors (just a summary of how they function; split up list amongst sections)​
II. Section II
a. Lesson 2A
i. Academic life (parts of Sundries and Hobbies?)
ii. Present tense of verbs
iii. Forming questions/expressing negation (include S9 and S19)​
b. Lesson 2B
i. Everyday activities (Sundries and Hobbies)
ii. Question particle (S21)
iii. Telling time (S15)​
III. Section III
a. Lesson 3A
i. Family/friends (Animals?)
ii. The present progressive tense
iii. Possessive particle (S18)​
b. Lesson 3B
i. People (include section on Titles (S10) here or in Lesson 3A?)
ii. Prepositions/Directions (S6 and S11)
iii. Demonstratives (S23 in current PDF)​
IV. Section IV
a. Lesson 4A
i. Places/Activities around town (Urban Living)
ii. Conjunctions (S7)​
b. Lesson 4B
i. Going to a restaurant (Food)
ii. Imperatives (S20)​
V. Section V
a. Lesson 5A
i. Shooting the Breeze
ii. Intonation?
iii. Suffixes (S22)​
b. Lesson 5B
i. Weather/Geography
ii. Derivative Verbs
VI. Section VI
a. Lesson 6A
i. Parts of the body
ii. Passive Voice (S17)
iii. The past tense
b. Lesson 6B
i. Science
ii. Comparatives and superlatives (S16)
iii. The future tense
VII. Extra Content
a. Idioms
b. Signatures
c. Calamari County Dialect
d. Inkopolis Dialect
e. Translations
Include relevant sample sentences in each grammar section?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Oh, so that's what you meant when you said you were making an outline. An outline for all the content of the guide! I was wondering.

Yes, that outline looks really nice! To be honest, I'm not sure we could really spread out the content of our conlang that thin. I mean, there's very little to say about each verb tense (unless you want to go and write more example sentences) to merit individual sections. We have loads of vocab but not as much grammar to compliment each vocab category with its own grammar point. This simplistic grammar is by design. I wanted to keep Inkling as smooth as possible for maximum accessibility.

Basically, @SyMag your excellent outline is structured for a conlang more detailed than ours. I think we should scale it back. In the spoiler is my idea:

Turf Wars.....Subject Pronouns
Urban Living.....Prepositions
Family.....Conjunctions
People.....Formalities (titles and basic greetings and politesse)
General Actions.....Verb Tenses
Other Descriptors.....Possessive
Shooting the Breeze.....Questions
Animals.....Negation
Food.....Imperatives
Colors.....Comparative and Superlative
Sundries and Hobbies.....Idioms
Time.....Telling time, date and age
Weather and Geography.....Demonstratives
Numbers.....Counting
Science and Anatomy.....Passive Voice
Derived Verbs.....Suffixes