The Fan Language of Splatoon

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Adding those words now!
Page 31: The word 'to desire' should be written as 'fu' 'uno' 'koi' (how does this word work, anyway? 'funo' is a verb to begin with...)
Well, {funo} is "want". {funoro} as "desire" is derived from that. And {funokoi} is derived from that.

Because I like looking at blocks of text in Inkling, I think I'm going to translate stuff into Inkling to illustrate how awesome our conlang is. How about a few songs? I'm going to start with something simple. Gonna try translating Chinese into Inkling.

Everyone pick a song and give it a try!

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Adding those words now!

Well, {funo} is "want". {funoro} as "desire" is derived from that. And {funokoi} is derived from that.

Because I like looking at blocks of text in Inkling, I think I'm going to translate stuff into Inkling to illustrate how awesome our conlang is. How about a few songs? I'm going to start with something simple. Gonna try translating Chinese into Inkling.

Everyone pick a song and give it a try!
They do know English to some degree, like any J-pop song with gratuitous English.

I'll work on translating the Ludicrous Speed scene.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
By any chance, what is "thing" as in "Stop this thing?"

Also, "Great Turf War" and "space."

And "pass" as in "We passed them!"

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Dunno. You tell us.
In that case, wait for the translation, which has a great deal of Calamari slang (for the bad guys).

But seriously. What would "Great Turf War" be? My intended translated title would be "The Great Turf War of the Galaxy," parodying the matchmaking-translation phenomenon where two unrelated works with unrelated titles in their native language end up with similar titles in a foreign market.

Example: History of the World Part 1 and Spaceballs - French: The translated title of the former is La Folle Histoire du Monde, or The Mad History of the World. For the latter, it's La Folle Histoire de l'espace, or The Mad (Hi)story of Space. Both films are unrelated, save for the fact that they were made by Mel Brooks.

Ditto with, in Hong Kong, Big Hero 6 (大英雄聯盟/Grand Hero's League) and League of Legends (英雄聯盟/League of Heroes), notwithstanding the Sinitic languages' erratic case handling.

Internally, "Great Turf War" is a title element of several action movies.

Oh, and Star Wars should instead be "The Great Turf War of the Stars."
The Lord of the Rings? Becomes "The Great Turf War for the Ring."

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
In addition, how does one express subjunctive cases (i.e. "I would have..." or "We would need to do this")?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Here is my translation of Ludicrous Speed.

A note: The CalDialect lines are in Hebon-esque. Also, I never could do the t-stroke for ts*.

Edited with speaker names. My next dub scene is a Star Wars scene: Death Star Officers Discussion.

Need words for "empire," and "rebellion," and "senate."

Attachments

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
In addition, how does one express subjunctive cases (i.e. "I would have..." or "We would need to do this")?
Did you mean conditional? Because those examples are more aligned with conditional.

Preliminary Explanation:

Inkling doesn't have a subjunctive mood but it still uses some verbs "subjunctively". The language does not conjugate verbs, so there'd be no real way to even tell unless we wanted to invent some grammar particle for it. Not opposed to that, honestly. Just not sure that that would be helpful for us to even bother.

"It is best that you wake up early." = {si béota pa éyose zúkibe.}
"It is important that we team up." = {si dúyo noi dutikόi.}
"I hope that we can be friends." = {i šiwána noi pu naizikόi.}
"He suggests that you choose Team Blue." = {zoi iséda pa čiké tezái dutí.}
"If you were an Octoling, we would not be friends." = {zόiba pa si piesuzόi noi mekόi žo si náizi.}
"If I cook, you would eat my meal." {zόiba i kuíto pa mekόi záiya i ya zaiyába.}

For one, Inkling does not employ conjunctions to connect with such sentences involving hypotheticals, wishes, suggestions and necessities. Totally subjunctive in concept. Not sure you'd call this a "mood", per se.

Any feedback? Think this merits inclusion in the guide?

Here is my translation of Ludicrous Speed..
Alright, gonna download this and fit it into the PDF tonight. I have a few issues, though. One is that I can't type out the Inkling text for the Calamari dialect's different pronunciation. Another is that I can't tell who is saying what. To make it read like a screenplay and feel like a scene from a movie, you should assign the character names. Otherwise it's confusing (save for anyone who's memorized Spaceballs). Third is that the word for "Ludicrous Speed" is {zeŧá fíya} or "super speed". I bet that's how Star Wars would say "hyper speed" in Inkling. To emulate how silly the dialogue of Spaceballs is, why don't we say {fukozéa fíya} or "crazy speed"?

So far, I have translations for four songs: "Deep Blue" by Miss Mix, "Imagine" by John Lennon, "In This Moment" by the Birthday Massacre and "Ce Jeu" by Yelle. Next I'm going to translate a scene from Seinfeld. Just deciding which scene.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Did you mean conditional? Because those examples are more aligned with conditional.

Preliminary Explanation:

Inkling doesn't have a subjunctive mood but it still uses some verbs "subjunctively". The language does not conjugate verbs, so there'd be no real way to even tell unless we wanted to invent some grammar particle for it. Not opposed to that, honestly. Just not sure that that would be helpful for us to even bother.

"It is best that you wake up early." = {si béota pa éyose zúkibe.}
"It is important that we team up." = {si dúyo noi dutikόi.}
"I hope that we can be friends." = {i šiwána noi pu naizikόi.}
"He suggests that you choose Team Blue." = {zoi iséda pa čiké tezái dutí.}
"If you were an Octoling, we would not be friends." = {zόiba pa si piesuzόi noi mekόi žo si náizi.}
"If I cook, you would eat my meal." {zόiba i kuíto pa mekόi záiya i ya zaiyába.}

For one, Inkling does not employ conjunctions to connect with such sentences involving hypotheticals, wishes, suggestions and necessities. Totally subjunctive in concept. Not sure you'd call this a "mood", per se.

Any feedback? Think this merits inclusion in the guide?

Alright, gonna download this and fit it into the PDF tonight. I have a few issues, though. One is that I can't type out the Inkling text for the Calamari dialect's different pronunciation. Another is that I can't tell who is saying what. To make it read like a screenplay and feel like a scene from a movie, you should assign the character names. Otherwise it's confusing (save for anyone who's memorized Spaceballs). Third is that the word for "Ludicrous Speed" is {zeŧá fíya} or "super speed". I bet that's how Star Wars would say "hyper speed" in Inkling. To emulate how silly the dialogue of Spaceballs is, why don't we say {fukozéa fíya} or "crazy speed"?

So far, I have translations for four songs: "Deep Blue" by Miss Mix, "Imagine" by John Lennon, "In This Moment" by the Birthday Massacre and "Ce Jeu" by Yelle. Next I'm going to translate a scene from Seinfeld. Just deciding which scene.
In terms of the explanation, go ahead! I feel it is necessary we know how to say "I would have done my best...." and so on.

In terms of the script:
I did indicate when a new character speaks, but I'll fill speaking characters in, especially because the bad guys love Calamari dialect.

Also, Calslang "zetai" is more extreme than "zetsa," but I added that as a placeholder in the dialect's (It really isn't borderline between dialect and seperate language any longer) early stages. I suggest a totally new word.

Also, [sh*] is {š*},
[ch*] is {č*},
[j*] is {ž*},
[ts*] is that t with stroke that I cannot use.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Should I just upload the transcript untranslated so you guys can come up with words? Keep in mind, they're all bad-guy scenes.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Should I just upload the transcript untranslated so you guys can come up with words? Keep in mind, they're all bad-guy scenes.
No need. The translation's fine. Can you just upload a copy of the notation in standard, textbook non-Calamari Inkling? I can't even read it.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
No need. The translation's fine. Can you just upload a copy of the notation in standard, textbook non-Calamari Inkling? I can't even read it.
So you want me to recusively work it back?

I also might have missed the word for "very."

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I'm back. I just thought of a way to potentially improve this thread's utility by making it possible to write in the Inkling syllabary. However, I'm going to need you to install the Stylish extension (or something else that inserts CSS), not to mention Sunken Sans.

This method will override the Trebuchet MS font and replace it with Sunken Sans, but just in this site.

Step 1: Create a new stylesheet that applies to: URLs starting with http://squidboards.com/threads/the-fan-language-of-splatoon.2914

Step 2: insert the following code:
font[face="Trebuchet MS"], span[style*="Trebuchet MS"] {font-family: "Sunken Sans"!important;}

Step 3: Observe: This text will be rendered in Sunken Sans.

PS: On the subject of translating things to Inkling, I made a reference to a certain something (If you recognize it, reply with the original line in the thread.) using my Inkling OC and in the constructed language:

The subtitle says:
¡ Ps, å ë Èu ãÛ Gµ ¡.
{I žizai, zoi eya naizi rutu bihe i.}
(This could be a good use for a particle to separate clauses.)

Separate topic altogether: I'm here to set the Latinized orthography straight. I have multiple versions.

The "Inkling Received Alphabet" uses the following letters:
A B Č D E F G H I K M N O P R S Š T Ŧ U W Y Z Ž
in addition to accented letters Á É Í Ó Ú to notate accent.

This variant is notated between {braces}.

Ŧ can be replaced with Ť.

There are alternatives for those with ASCII keyboards:

The "Inkling Simplified Alphabet", or the "Z-Alphabet", uses the following letters:
A B Cz D E F G H I K M N O P R S Sz T Tz U W Y Z Zz
in addition to accented letters Á É Í Ó Ú to notate accent, though not required.

This variant is notated between [brackets].

The benefit of this system is that word sorting goes in generally the correct order, since Z comes after U, so {suráže} [surazje] "money" is sorted before {šanái} [szanai] "arm".

The drawback of this system is that this is less easy to read for English speakers than it is for speakers of Czech or Polish, for example (probably).

Zz can be replaced with Zj or Zh, but this will change the sorting order.

The "Inkling Romaji", or the "H-Alphabet", uses the following letters:
A B Ch D E F G H I K M N O P R S Sh T Ts U W Y Z J
in addition to accented letters Á É Í Ó Ú to notate accent, though rarely seen.

This variant is notated between |bars|.

The benefit of this system is that it is intuitive to English speakers.

The drawback of this system is that this is less technical, and sorting will not be in the correct order.

For example, {suráže} |suraje| "money" is sorted after {šanái} |shanai| "arm", even though S comes before Š in the Inkling Received Alphabet. A more extreme example is {zo} |zo| "out" and {žo} |jo| "not". All words that start with Ž jump back about two thirds of the alphabet in this system.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
So you want me to recusively work it back?

I also might have missed the word for "very."
Put in all the "very"s and type out a copy of the notation in the sort of Inkling standard to the guide. Keep the Calamari dialect notation (that's what I'll show) but just leave a standard form of the scene so I can add the Inkling letters.

As mentioned above, I translated four songs ("Deep Blue" by Miss Mix, "Imagine" by John Lennon, "In This Moment" by the Birthday Massacre and "Ce Jeu" by Yelle) as well as the first dialogue from the pilot episode of Seinfeld (arguing about the shirt button and the phone call). Anyone else willing to translate something is more than welcome!

Next up (hopefully tonight after I proofread the Seinfeld dialogue) is recording the sample sentences from the guide and uploading them all onto the YouTube channel. Hopefully my laptop's mic isn't that horrible.

Next order of business: Do you all think it's time that I tip off (anonymously) our project to different gaming news sites?

EDIT: @theFIZZYnator Nice ideas! However, I think our notation system works perfectly fine for our project. Honestly, it's not that difficult to copy and paste words from the PDF. Plus, I'd have to correct over seventy pages of the guide. Please don't do that to me. Not even sure we'd need to type in Inkling.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
I don't know how to do this. Should I only go on a character-per-character basis, considering that Calamari (and all Western dialects) underwent huge shifts, and rendering the Standard reading of the necessary character?

There are only three lines in that scene in standard Inkling.

In the Imperial Generals Discuss scene, there are none.

I'm eventually gonna remove all redundancies in the script on my end (and come up with one more Calamari-exclusive character to maintain |*ya| in the dialect).

By the way, can you create a character map so I know how to type the font, or maybe even the font itself if it isn't Sucker Sans Sunken Sans?

Or, under this plan, I type it myself.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I don't know how to do this. Should I only go on a character-per-character basis, considering that Calamari (and all Western dialects) underwent huge shifts, and rendering the Standard reading of the necessary character?

There are only three lines in that scene in standard Inkling.

In the Imperial Generals Discuss scene, there are none.

I'm eventually gonna remove all redundancies in the script on my end (and come up with one more Calamari-exclusive character to maintain |*ya| in the dialect).

By the way, can you create a character map so I know how to type the font, or maybe even the font itself if it isn't Sucker Sans Sunken Sans?

Or, under this plan, I type it myself.
No, no, no I can type it. All I need is the standard Inkling equivalents of the Calamari-style notation. Just for assigning the Inkling letters. You can even keep the {n}.Without this, I'd have to go through your Calamari dialect section and find every shift individually and correct them manually. But you know the dialect better than me. Would you be able to de-shift the dialogue?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
I'm removing every single redundant character.

In a nutshell, CalDialect now writes like Japanese. However, the only special characters are particles: |dan| reads |eta| as it is now exclusively the passive mark as it is in standard, and then some.

At least I can map each individual character in its Japanese character slot.

BTW, minor changes to the transcript. Didn't add the rendering transliteration. In what way is what is provided unreadable?

Oh, and the character map.

Attachments

Last edited:

Minifinger

Inkling
I saw you on raregamer, and I've heard there's a sister project (the octorian language). Is this true?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
BTW, minor changes to the transcript. Didn't add the rendering transliteration. In what way is what is provided unreadable?
No but I'll make it up as I type it out. The notation will be exactly as you wrote here. However, I'll be creative so that we don't have English loan words. I will also add stress markers to the notation. I may make small changes here and there to one or two words. When I update the PDF, just tell me if there's anything else you want changed.

I saw you on raregamer, and I've heard there's a sister project (the octorian language). Is this true?
Are you a Rare Gamer member? In any case, there is also an Octoling language project but it doesn't have the manpower this Inkling conlang has had.

Because nobody likes Octolings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom