The Fan Language of Splatoon

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I'm here to bring you three updates.

First: My Inkopolitan dialect manual was updated. The PDF is attached.

Second: I'm here to correct the confusion (again) with the use of the terms "serif" and "sans-serif". Serif fonts, such as Times New Roman, have decorative bits to guide the eyes when you read. Sans-serif fonts, such as Verdana, do not have those markings. What we have in the manual is sans-serif, not serif like it says there. Illustrations attached below:

Third: I have a proposal for the Calamari-exclusive {ya} character. It's shown in the image above.

Up and coming: I'm currently translating the video "Meet the Sniper" into Inkling, and will soon post the words that I made up for that translation.

Attachments

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
@theFIZZYnator I just changed my description of the Inkling alphabet in relation to serif and non-serif like you said.

As a TF2 lover, I can't wait to read the Sniper's monologue about his career! "As long as there's two people left on the planet, someone will want someone dead." Classic Valve. I suppose we need an Inkling word for "jarate" now.

Some point soon I will update the PDF with the new deets on the Inkopolitan dialect. For tonight, this Spaceballs scene is my big project. @EclipseMT I am copying the notation now. As for entering the Inkling characters, I have no clue what to type out. Can you write by hand what Inkling characters are spoken in this dialogue?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Because nobody likes Octolings
you MONster.

In any case, I turned out of it due to lack of interest. I would still go back on certain cases (hell, might even retcon it into a non-Splatooniverse lang), but the primary reason was my inability to fend with updating it past basic grammar.

It has some wonderous ideas.

BTW, when adding stress, don't forget the arbitrary *i/*u devoicing as well as the stress pattern differences.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
BTW, when adding stress, don't forget the arbitrary *i/*u devoicing as well as the stress pattern differences.
I decided against adding stress. Can you help me assign Inkling letters to the Calamari dialect? I'm totally lost here.

@theFIZZYnator I added your revisions to the guide. I formatted them better this time.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
You know what? I'll reupload it with the transliteration. From now on, they will be in native language / translated / character transliteration.

I also am working on my reformed orthography.
One phrase: ったく改造された, and that shall be all.

EDIT: Already the transliteration is proving to be too much a hassle. Please, just standardize the orthography to one compatible with ASCII keyboards.

OTHER EDIT: Done.

Attachments

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
My god. Parsing through this Calidialect has been the most painful part of this project. Not sure how I'm supposed to type {čo} or {ču}. Those don't exist in any dialect of Inkling. The {n} and {be} letters don't exist in the font, so I have to generate the words using those letters by copying and pasting the clear PNGs into the document alongside the typed text. It's horrific.

@EclipseMT Is it alright if I change on bit of dialogue? When Dark Helmet talks to Sandurz and asks if he's afraid to go to ludicrous speed, he asks if he's chicken. The double entendre of a chicken as a wimp and as it's being said to a character named Colonel Sandurz is totally lost in the Inkling translation. Instead, how about this? We renamed Sandurz into {maoho}. Then, when helmet prods him about ludicrous speed, we asks if Maoho is {homao} as in "orange" or "timid, weak, ineffectual"?

EDIT: Here's my first version of the scene without my above suggestion.

Attachments

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
@EclipseMT Is it alright if I change on bit of dialogue? When Dark Helmet talks to Sandurz and asks if he's afraid to go to ludicrous speed, he asks if he's chicken. The double entendre of a chicken as a wimp and as it's being said to a character named Colonel Sandurz is totally lost in the Inkling translation. Instead, how about this? We renamed Sandurz into {maoho}. Then, when helmet prods him about ludicrous speed, we asks if Maoho is {homao} as in "orange" or "timid, weak, ineffectual"?

EDIT: Here's my first version of the scene without my above suggestion.
I'm not that much a fan of your suggestion, for two reasons:

* Slanguage doesn't carry over between dialects.
* Some dubs of Spaceballs have said "Are you a coward?" when recursively translated.

Also, don't forget to put the translated notation in the ASCII mapping in the guide.
Also, orthography issues: their {žo}/jo is standard {žie}/jie, and their {ku} is standard {pu}.

Also, one last thing: When Helmet does "Ak" as an interjection, it's written [aku].

I thought I rewrote it so the characters can be mapped to Standard?

I might end up standardizing Calamari in Latin orthography.

But if not, can |chu| be 中?

EDIT: Also, what's the matter with the gratuitous English loan words? Inklings know basic English words, at around the same degree as Japanese (which has a lot of English loanwords). What's wrong with |haipa-jetsu| for "hyper-jets" and |Rettsu go!| for "Let's go!" when they say "go"? It was what I originally planned for. Besides, ハイパースペース (katakana rendering of "hyperspace") is Japanese for "hyperspace."

ハイパージェット would be "hyper-jet(s)."

Also, |Di subi hyperjets zine| sounds more natural.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Translation fro Jarate?
"Jarate" sounds like an Inkling word as is. Leave it.
|jarati|. There.

EDIT: Rule of cautious loanword-creating judgement: If it looks like a concept easily identifiable as universal, don't loanword it.

Like my earlier "hyper-jets" example - that should be loanworded.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Translation fro Jarate?
"Jarate" sounds like an Inkling word as is. Leave it.
Yeah you could easily say {žaráti}. Although since jarate is an item used in combat, it might make more sense to Inklings to end the word with {tu} as {tu} is the suffix for tools, items and equipment.

@EclipseMT This is getting way more difficult than it needs to be. We're not able to communicate how to write out this scene in Calamari dialect and I have a feeling that's more my fault than yours. Are you up for typing out the Inkling yourself and then I add it in?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Yeah you could easily say {žaráti}. Although since jarate is an item used in combat, it might make more sense to Inklings to end the word with {tu} as {tu} is the suffix for tools, items and equipment.

@EclipseMT This is getting way more difficult than it needs to be. We're not able to communicate how to write out this scene in Calamari dialect and I have a feeling that's more my fault than yours. Are you up for typing out the Inkling yourself and then I add it in?
I honestly prefer that method. Can you provide the font, as well as a character map so I know which character on my keyboard I should use?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I honestly prefer that method. Can you provide the font, as well as a character map so I know which character on my keyboard I should use?
I would but I forgot where I downloaded it. I think it's in this thread like page three or four. There are a few different versions. I mean heck, if you want to write it out by hand, scan it and send it to me that's even easier.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
It's been almost a week, how's things going?
Been wondering that myself. The only thing separating me from declaring this language guide complete at these two scene translations. I'm 120 hours into the new Xenoblade and am in no rush, really.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
So how is everyone? How are those translations coming along?

I spent a few days translating the first chapter of a DeviantArt Splatoon fan manga with the permission of the artist.

http://piyozr.deviantart.com/art/Heroes-of-Inkopolis-MUYOBOI-590426700

In referencing the PDF, I made some small updates and corrections here and there. Attached is the newest version.

Attachments

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
It's about time I found the time to write the transcription of my translation of Ludicrous Speed.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and declare this project completed if no one else has anything to add.

Sometime this week, I am going to let some game news outlets in on the secret. I just need to get my hands on all the audio files of the Youtube lessons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom