• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Fan Language of Splatoon

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Okay, finished vectorizing the new syllabary. The glyphs that got deprecated from having their own sounds I decided to keep as alts of other glyphs, and new glyphs were made based on @PiyozR's sketches. As for rai, I also made a simplified glyph based on the left half of the original as I felt that the Inklings would want something simpler to write outside of formal branding, schoolwork, etc.

Oh, and now I'm using @theFIZZYnator's orthography here for consistency's sake.
Yes, that's a writing mistake on my part. It's meant to be /iyu/. I wanted to make those "e"'s and "Q"'s a bit easier to pronounce in context.

Also, I forgot to include {uno}. That's still part of it.

My current dilemma:

Keep my Callie's War comic in the same outdated Inkling that it is now...

...Or update the Inkling with new words that nobody will read anyway?

My life is so hard.

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
For now, can we agree, to reduce confusion, that PiyozR's IPA-based orthography notated between /slashes/ and my Czech-based orthography notated between {braces}? e.g. /eja/ vs. {eya], /ʃai/ vs. {šæ}

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
For now, can we agree, to reduce confusion, that PiyozR's IPA-based orthography notated between /slashes/ and my Czech-based orthography notated between {braces}? e.g. /eja/ vs. {eya], /ʃai/ vs. {šæ}
I nominate the {braces} because they look cooler.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I nominate the {braces} because they look cooler.
I was thinking, if the two orthographies are going to coexist (at least for a while), then there should be some way to differentiate between them to reduce confusion (mostly about J). Using {braces} for my new system and reserving the /slashes/ for PiyozR could make it easier to tell which system we're using.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I would probably suggest to update the Inkling with new words.
Bro, I'm on it. It's just going to take a couple days. I have to change every word by hand from the old letters to the new letters, replace all our IPA with the new notation system, and THEN add the new words that the fine users of this thread have donated to our cause. Along the way, there are tons of typo's and poor formatting. After that, I gotta fix my comic.

Bro, I got this. In the meantime, enjoy the OP bucket before Nintendo nerfs it like Diddy Kong.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Double post to let all y'all know that I painstakingly updated the PDF with the new syllabary and all the new vocab offered above. I'm also attaching it to this thread for convenience's sake. Everyone read it! Peruse! Make sure the transliteration guide is correct and clear. I corrected a dozen mistakes but there could very well be more out there.

Here's something I can't believe I never thought about doing until now. Here's a link to me introducing myself in Inkling. Have a listen! Personally, I think it sounds spot on for our project.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s13hnP3fYApd

Attachments

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Double post to let all y'all know that I painstakingly updated the PDF with the new syllabary and all the new vocab offered above. I'm also attaching it to this thread for convenience's sake. Everyone read it! Peruse! Make sure the transliteration guide is correct and clear. I corrected a dozen mistakes but there could very well be more out there.

Here's something I can't believe I never thought about doing until now. Here's a link to me introducing myself in Inkling. Have a listen! Personally, I think it sounds spot on for our project.

You've put my notation between /slashes/ and put IPA between [brackets], where you should have used {braces} for my notation, and IPA between /slashes/. Please correct!

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031

Sounds very professional! I like the clear diction you have going. Maybe when you get the handle of speaking in this language you can quicken the pace? Still, excellent work here!

As for the PDF, I'll go over it to see if there are any errors other than what were already mentioned, then try and post a version with comments denoting those revisions.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Oh, for those who are fanatic of other conlangs, here's the Ring-verse in Inkling (some words have been constructed):

Original Black Speech: Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
English translation: One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
Inkling (constructed words at this point are bolded at their first instance): |U ona iyae uyozai, u ona sobi buuyo, u ona hoka uyozai, wa jome-ri neno buuyo.|

The constructed words:
* |ona| = ring
* |uyozai| = all (of them)
* |sobi| = to find
* |hoka| = to bring in (lit. to pull in)
* |neno| = to bind (lit. to hold on to)

And yes, because I can't deal with caron accents easily, I put it in using modified Hebon-shiki.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
All right, @PiyozR, I've proofread the PDF and added comments to it. They should be visible in a good PDF reader (like Acrobat Reader). Let me know if you have any issues seeing them, though!

Oh, for those who are fanatic of other conlangs, here's the Ring-verse in Inkling (some words have been constructed):

Original Black Speech: Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
English translation: One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
Inkling (constructed words at this point are bolded at their first instance): |U ona iyae uyozai, u ona sobi buuyo, u ona hoka uyozai, wa jome-ri neno buuyo.|

The constructed words:
* |ona| = ring
* |uyozai| = all (of them)
* |sobi| = to find
* |hoka| = to bring in (lit. to pull in)
* |neno| = to bind (lit. to hold on to)

And yes, because I can't deal with caron accents easily, I put it in using modified Hebon-shiki.
Man, this is awesome! Now I'm wondering what the Inkling version of LotR could be if anything.

Attachments

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Man, this is awesome! Now I'm wondering what the Inkling version of LotR could be if anything.
We are gonna need that |n| character if proper nouns in Elvish are to be loanworded.

As for my romanization style, I am still advocating it as it doesn't need fancy caron accents like Czech and Slovak. I know what C-caron and S-caron are pronounced like in these languages, but those who do not type in said boards may not have an easy time typing.

Notes:

C-caron should instead be |ch|.
S-caron should be |sh|.
J should represent the sound of "j" in "jar" in English.
Y should represent the "y" in "yes" [j].

Andy-the-Dandy

Inkling
NNID
Fast_Attack
On the nouns list, (page 10 in the revised guide) the word for "battle" is romanized as "ši 'pa we" but the Inkling reads "ši 'pe we." Strangely enough, this goes as far back as the pictures in the RareGamers thread so I'm not sure what the correction should be.

Andy-the-Dandy

Inkling
NNID
Fast_Attack
I was trying to go more like Esperanto did with their alphabet.
There is no "x" in Esperanto, so a popular way to write diacriticals is the "x system." You put an "x" after the ASCII letter, and you know it's a diacritical because there's nothing else the "x" could represent. It's clear, for example, "hxoro" has to mean "ĥoro" (choir) and not "horo." (hour)
As for my romanization style, I am still advocating it as it doesn't need fancy caron accents like Czech and Slovak. I know what C-caron and S-caron are pronounced like in these languages, but those who do not type in said boards may not have an easy time typing.
Our MHS romanization has no "c," "j," "l," "q," or "v." It does happen to have four special characters that are consonants ("č," "ŧ," "š," and "ž") and three that are vowels. ("æ," "œ," and "è") I propose "č" becomes "c" and vowels are modified by adding "j" after them, such that "æ," for example, becomes "aj." That's as far as I get, though.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Oh, this is very convenient! Of course, I just wish there was a way to force a default font for the keyboard (when I try to type it out, it always switches over to MS Mincho or whatever I have as the default font for Japanese input). Also, we need to find a way to make punctuation and symbols work in Inkling mode.

EDIT: @PiyozR Umm, ping?

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
@Jason Tremble Thanks a ton for that font! It took me some finaggling, but I have it up and running! I can't believe I made everything I've made so far without this. I could have saved hours. The only issue I'm having at this point is that the numbers don't show up in Word, whereas the numbers are the only thing that show up in Notepad. A slight inconvenience.

In a second, I'm going to upload the latest version of the language guide. Soon, I'm going to be getting to work on the script for the YouTube lessons. This font should make all this fifty times quicker. Expect the first introduction video to be written up and shared here soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom