• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Ink Charger Tech Club

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
@flc Why does "spamming jumps" make charger OP?
as soon as someone jumps, their movement is completely locked for about a second. you know exactly what trajectory they are going to travel and you can predict where they will land with ease.

this is more than enough time to line up a shot and is one of the best ways to deal with people who are trying to avoid your shots

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
as soon as someone jumps, their movement is completely locked for about a second. you know exactly what trajectory they are going to travel and you can predict where they will land with ease.

this is more than enough time to line up a shot and is one of the best ways to deal with people who are trying to avoid your shots
Ah, I see. I've punished some people jumping before. Its a bit of a bad habit alright.

NLALEX

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NLALEX
I feel the Chargers' ability to cover ground is often hugely overlooked; you can fire uncharged shots whilst strafing to cover a medium-sized bit of turf very easily, not to mention the fact that an entire corridor can be covered almost instantly and at no risk to you by charging into enemy territory a la the Rollers.

They're not going to cover as much area as an Aerospray any time soon, but they're much more viable in Turf War than people give them credit for.

Of course they're still downright delicious in Ranked.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I´m using the Kelp Charger, the sprinkler lacks offensive power but is great for tricky setups and to help fill the special meter. I used the Elite for a while, but the longer charge time didn´t justifiy the longer range for me. I only found it useful to outrange other chargers more easily, but you usually can take out other chargers by outsmarting them, most charger users focus too much in killing what they have right before them and are easy to trick and get from an unexpected position.

That said, yesterday I found it incredibly hard to perform well with the charger in B+, while I was usually leading my team in K/D ratio on B. Maybe it was a bad combination of map selection (Underpass and Dome) and enemy skill, but everyone was using fast weapons and was overly aggressive, forcing me to constantly retreat before I could line up a shot. I´m thinking of using a different charger because no one is letting himself get splatted by Killer Wail anymore and some bombs for close fights would be good.

Skillswise I´ve used a lot of combinations and am still trying more things, though I think these are the ones you need to focus on:
Damage UP: being able to kill with partial charges allows you to shoot faster, more times and use less ink. I think it´s the most important skill for a charger.
Ink Saver Main: Being able to shoot one extra time has saved me a lot of times in unexpected ambushes or when dealing with many enemies.
Ink Refill UP: I´m trying a build based around this right now, I think it´ll help a lot, specially is using the sprinkler as sub.

Ninja squid and Ink Resistance UP are useful, but in fact I´m not missing them after removing them from my build. Maybe they´ll become more important in higher ranks. Anything that helps filling your special faster or saves ink for the sub weapon can help too (not for sprinkler, you´ll always need to refill ink after a single use if you don´t want to go around there low on ammo). Swim speed up may help to flee sometimes, but I wouldn´t prioritize it.

The rest are really not helpful, specially those that act on your death, as a good charger must not die. As people have said, being able to stay alive and act a moving base for your team is a must for a charger, so plan your build with the intention of not dying ever. Defense UP is not recommendable, you need to avoid being hit at all, not get into a firefight to endure it. Getting into firefights will get you killed most times and if your teammates are counting on you as a safe jump spot it would get them killed many times too. Ninja Jump is useless, you´ll do much better going on foot and securing everything you go through than jumping unseen to the middle of a close range fight.

Any tips for B+ and upwards? Is anyone doing well with the Kelp Charger in these ranks?

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Any tips for B+ and upwards? Is anyone doing well with the Kelp Charger in these ranks?
A+ 99 Kelp splat charger only player that only recently played E-litre in ranked here ; Here to give you some tips:

I´m using the Kelp Charger, the sprinkler lacks offensive power but is great for tricky setups and to help fill the special meter. I used the Elite for a while, but the longer charge time didn´t justifiy the longer range for me. I only found it useful to outrange other chargers more easily, but you usually can take out other chargers by outsmarting them, most charger users focus too much in killing what they have right before them and are easy to trick and get from an unexpected position.
Never thought of using the sprinkler to fill the charge meter ; I generally prefer to shot uncharged shot in some unclaimed/enemy claimed ground but guess that allow you to have your mind somewhere else when you already have control of the splat zone ; but otherwise ; It should be in the point most of the time ; generally work well enough as a distraction or "tricky setups" in here like you just said too

Additionally, dealing with a enemy charger is either outsmarting him (i.e sniping them then they don't notice you or are busy sniping someone else) ; ambushing him (At long as you don't get a fully charged hit in the face ; it actually work most of the time and it hilarious to do) or just putting a killer wail to force him out of his sniper slots.

That said, yesterday I found it incredibly hard to perform well with the charger in B+, while I was usually leading my team in K/D ratio on B. Maybe it was a bad combination of map selection (Underpass and Dome) and enemy skill, but everyone was using fast weapons and was overly aggressive, forcing me to constantly retreat before I could line up a shot. I´m thinking of using a different charger because no one is letting himself get splatted by Killer Wail anymore and some bombs for close fights would be good.
Dome is one of the best map to play charger due to the crazy amount of sniper shot is map have in ranked matches (Seriously ; ANY of the small cube make a good hiding shot as they can't attack you from below that way ; forcing them to walk into the wire netting to get you ; which make it a easy target for you)

Underpass is clearly the worst map to play sniper though.

Killer wail should be used more at a area denial tool then as at killing tool ; generally to force enemy out of cover to get a clean shot; to get rib of a enemy charger out of his sniping shot, at some rare case ; as a "get out of me" tool if you have time to set it up or even to clean your sniper slot of enemy.

Skillswise I´ve used a lot of combinations and am still trying more things, though I think these are the ones you need to focus on:
Damage UP: being able to kill with partial charges allows you to shoot faster, more times and use less ink. I think it´s the most important skill for a charger.
Ink Saver Main: Being able to shoot one extra time has saved me a lot of times in unexpected ambushes or when dealing with many enemies.
Ink Refill UP: I´m trying a build based around this right now, I think it´ll help a lot, specially is using the sprinkler as sub.

Ninja squid and Ink Resistance UP are useful, but in fact I´m not missing them after removing them from my build. Maybe they´ll become more important in higher ranks. Anything that helps filling your special faster or saves ink for the sub weapon can help too (not for sprinkler, you´ll always need to refill ink after a single use if you don´t want to go around there low on ammo). Swim speed up may help to flee sometimes, but I wouldn´t prioritize it.

The rest are really not helpful, specially those that act on your death, as a good charger must not die. As people have said, being able to stay alive and act a moving base for your team is a must for a charger, so plan your build with the intention of not dying ever. Defense UP is not recommendable, you need to avoid being hit at all, not get into a firefight to endure it. Getting into firefights will get you killed most times and if your teammates are counting on you as a safe jump spot it would get them killed many times too. Ninja Jump is useless, you´ll do much better going on foot and securing everything you go through than jumping unseen to the middle of a close range fight.
I generally prefer to flat out do fully charged to kill something with a splat charger ; although damage up is still useful if you get the timing a tad early and also work very well for the E-litre.
As for Ink saver main and Ink Refill Up ; I prefer the second one as I often use the sprinkler at time (and because Ink saver sub is bad) but both are decent

Ink resistance UP is a must have for every gear build and it isn't a exception for the charger ; You will end out walking in enemy ink actually fairly often due to the fact that the charger isn't that good to clean corner and small puddle and it allow you to run aways easily if the enemy start to spray where you are to force you out and/or prepare for a kill.

As for ninja squid... I generally prefer Cold-blooded for the body slot as it nullify the quite common echolocator and the less common motion sensor and assure you that you're not a sitting duck for long if a disruptor hit you. Plus you'll generally not be swimming around in front of a enemy unless for a emergency escape in which you will prefer to extra speed instead.

At for not dying ; well obv you don't want to die with any weapon. But guess that hold more true with the charger as you're generally in the back-line.

And to finish it about super jumping : You're generally only going to super jump in safe slot when respawning (most of the time ; none of your ally will be as a "safe slot" so you're gonna go back in foot anyway) but you can also use it more rarely to move between sniper shot (personnal favorite was to super jump in a beacon put in the enemy sniper slot in arowana mall allowing me to snipe the enemy easily from here as they clearly didn't expected me here at all)

Pouet ; that was a long post ; hope it gonna help you to get eventually in A+ too.

Last edited:

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Dome is one of the best map to play charger due to the crazy amount of sniper shot is map have in ranked matches (Seriously ; ANY of the small cube make a good hiding shot as they can't attack you from below that way ; forcing them to walk into the wire netting to get you ; which make it a easy target for you)
I think I need to play some Turf Wars on the Dome to learn the map, I´ve only played it in ranked and it shows...I know what to do in the rest of the maps, but in this one I´m still pretty lost and I´m still finding new things every time, that is when the Ranked Battle´s chaos allows me to. I´ll try those spots, I wasn´t using the wirewalks at all.

Underpass is clearly the worst map to play sniper though.
Yeah, to be really useful to the team you need to get down to the center of the stage and someone always ends up surprising me from one side. It´s too wide to cover succesfully with a charger.

Killer wail should be used more at a area denial tool then as at killing tool ; generally to force enemy out of cover to get a clean shot; to get rib of a enemy charger out of his sniping shot, at some rare case ; as a "get out of me" tool if you have time to set it up or even to clean your sniper slot of enemy.
I tend to use it for tricky sniping through walls and such but in B+ it´s useless, I´ll try to wrap my head around making it´s primary use that which you say.

I generally prefer to flat out do fully charged to kill something with a splat charger ; although damage up is still useful if you get the timing a tad early and also work very well for the E-litre.
As for Ink saver main and Ink Refill Up ; I prefer the second one as I often use the sprinkler at time (and because Ink saver sub is bad) but both are decent

Ink resistance UP is a must have for every gear build and it isn't a exception for the charger ; You will end out walking in enemy ink actually fairly often due to the fact that the charger isn't that good to clean corner and small puddle and it allow you to run aways easily if the enemy start to spray where you are to force you out and/or prepare for a kill.

As for ninja squid... I generally prefer Cold-blooded for the body slot as it nullify the quite common echolocator and the less common motion sensor and assure you that you're not a sitting duck for long if a disruptor hit you. Plus you'll generally not be swimming around in front of a enemy unless for a emergency escape in which you will prefer to extra speed instead.
OK, I think I´ll use Ink Refill, Damage UP (replaced by Cold Blooded in B+ and upwards) and Ink Resistance as mains.

Pouet ; that was a long post ; hope it gonna help you to get eventually in A+ too.
Thanks a lot for all the tips! After being short of a victory to get to A- yesterday, I ended up going down to B- :( It´s the second time that this happens, though the other time I bounced back all the way to C+. This game is cruel. The skill gap between B and B+ is huge, once you start getting A- and A guys in your rooms everything goes 2x faster.

Hope to meet you soon in A+!

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
@flc Why does "spamming jumps" make charger OP?
People instinctively jump when they're in trouble. It lowers their accuracy, and makes their movements more predictable. You'd be better off just strafing as you shoot.

The more I use the classic Squiffer the more I notice just how great it is. In CoD terms, having the Squiffer is like the equivalent of having Slight of Hand.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
People instinctively jump when they're in trouble. It lowers their accuracy, and makes their movements more predictable. You'd be better off just strafing as you shoot.

The more I use the classic Squiffer the more I notice just how great it is. In CoD terms, having the Squiffer is like the equivalent of having Slight of Hand.
Haven't experimented as much as I should have with the Squiffer. It seems very potent mid range and can fight close up as well if you are using classic squiffer because of the bubbler.

Recently on Kelp Dome, there was a spalt-o-matic user on the grates while I was about to go on them to take him out. He ended up jumping his way to me and finishing me. Ugh, I felt really stupid for that.

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
I don't see much of this said (if at all), but a lot of the good areas to hold as a Charger have different vantage points to use. For example, the spawn for Saltspray Rig can hold down a lot of the walkways, the bottom platform, and the pipes where chargers normally go. The pipes also have a bit of an L-shaped platform, good for retreating in case someone is trying to ambush you.

What I'm thinking is if the Custom E-Liter has Squid Beakons, they could potentially be used to switch from vantage points or areas rapidly once set up? Of course, Squid Jump Speed Up would be mandatory for this approach. Kraken would be decent to hold off players trying to ambush you as well, once you've got enough area covered.

ImNotDeadYet

Inkling
I was wondering of anyone else has tried stacking sub cost down on the standard e-litter to do a pseudo-bomb rush on close range targets? I've started using this tactic today and did quite well with it. I was in B rank at the time but I also just started using it that way, so I think the tactic can work well against more skilled enemies. I was in A- two days ago (B currently because of a horrible losing streak) and I'm hoping to use this set up to back there.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Haven't experimented as much as I should have with the Squiffer. It seems very potent mid range and can fight close up as well if you are using classic squiffer because of the bubbler.

Recently on Kelp Dome, there was a spalt-o-matic user on the grates while I was about to go on them to take him out. He ended up jumping his way to me and finishing me. Ugh, I felt really stupid for that.
close range squiffer (while using the bubbler) doesn't really work on higher levels in my experience.

machine gun players will just bombard you because they know you if you can't aim right you can't do anything.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
I was wondering of anyone else has tried stacking sub cost down on the standard e-litter to do a pseudo-bomb rush on close range targets? I've started using this tactic today and did quite well with it. I was in B rank at the time but I also just started using it that way, so I think the tactic can work well against more skilled enemies. I was in A- two days ago (B currently because of a horrible losing streak) and I'm hoping to use this set up to back there.
Dunnos if stacking ink saver sub can allow you to throw 5 blast bomb without recharging ; but I know that you just need a secondary ink saver sub to be able to throw 4 blast bomb with a full ink tank.

ImNotDeadYet

Inkling
Dunnos if stacking ink saver sub can allow you to throw 5 blast bomb without recharging ; but I know that you just need a secondary ink saver sub to be able to throw 4 blast bomb with a full ink tank.
I haven't tested in the shooting range, but with sub down as a main and one sub ability I always seem to have enough. I also have ink recovery up as a main and sub and normally duck into ink in between throws so that may be helping to.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
I'm sad to see no one really mentioning the chargers amazing rushdown. Aside from Paintbrush, Charger is the best when it comes to it. Squid Jump is for chumps when it comes to using a charger!

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
For the custom eliter.

you can use the beakon as a shield!

place a beakon atop your nest and stand behind it. you can shoot through but your enemies can't.

vsock

Inkling
NNID
sockchan
I knocked the splatterscope at first but now I'm in love with it. Can perform "CoD style" sniping far more easily when zoomed in. It's still more difficult than anything else I've tried, but it tends to catch the opponent off-guard way more too.

Opinions on stuff I guess?
- Taking back splat zones is far easier with a charger; you can ink large areas from a safe distance while your team mates bum rush the other team. During the chaos you can pick off stragglers from the rear and the zone is yours.
- I'm not really a fan of the charger with the kraken special (cant remember which one). It serves as a way to protect yourself if you get rushed, but if you can't get kills with it, you're not really helping your team. Because you can't ink a lot of area while trapped in kraken form, ya feel.

By far the most satisfying thing I've done is snipe someone flying off the tower (in Blackbelly Skatepark) in squid-form. They exploded and rained ink down upon the zone I was trying to cover. Rained down STYLE POINTS.

What about you guys? Most satisfying splat?

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I knocked the splatterscope at first but now I'm in love with it. Can perform "CoD style" sniping far more easily when zoomed in. It's still more difficult than anything else I've tried, but it tends to catch the opponent off-guard way more too.

Opinions on stuff I guess?
- Taking back splat zones is far easier with a charger; you can ink large areas from a safe distance while your team mates bum rush the other team. During the chaos you can pick off stragglers from the rear and the zone is yours.
- I'm not really a fan of the charger with the kraken special (cant remember which one). It serves as a way to protect yourself if you get rushed, but if you can't get kills with it, you're not really helping your team. Because you can't ink a lot of area while trapped in kraken form, ya feel.

By far the most satisfying thing I've done is snipe someone flying off the tower (in Blackbelly Skatepark) in squid-form. They exploded and rained ink down upon the zone I was trying to cover. Rained down STYLE POINTS.

What about you guys? Most satisfying splat?
I can remember well. It on Blackbelly Skatepark 3 people were approaching me defending the Splat zone closest to the base from the right. I hit one from far away, the other two get behind the wall. I set up a sprinkler on the adjacent wall to help defend the area. One tries to approach, hit him instantly. Lastly, I was recharging my ink and the third one approaches I hit him with a small hit not able to kill him. The sprinkler finishes him off. The tip of the cherry was that my team had time to take the second splat zone. Dam that was a good moment. No one could get the better me.:cool:

vsock

Inkling
NNID
sockchan
Hehe, that sounds sick af. It's a shame capture cards are so expensive )':

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I recently did some testing about thew movement options of chargers. As you know, chargers have uncharged, charged and somewhat charged (about 1/4 - 3/4) shots all of which are in a straight line. Using splatterdashing you can use these shots to escape enemy fire or traverse the map on uninked or enemy inked ground quickly. If you don't know, here is the process.
  1. shoot
  2. swim in squid form
  3. repeat
The exact same as splatterdashing however not the same in use. Splatterdashing is normally used to cover ground efficiently but with chargers it is better used in sticky situations and need an escape because chargers just don't have the same fire rate or spread.

Say for example someone is firing at you and your in the middle of enemy ink. This is when you fire a shot then move quickly. An uncharged shot will most likely be your best bet here. While charging a shot will give you an easier path to traverse on, charging the shot means your standing around too often and not in squid form which means your an easier target. They actually don't have a significant difference in speed. I tested it on the length of the training area and they all were about 7 seconds. The only exception was E-liter charged shots. The charge there is just too long and I started seeing results around 8 seconds.

In conclusion, splaterdashing with chargers are not used for covering ground efficiently but rather traversing the map fast. It is best to use uncharged shots because your harder to hit from being in squid form most of the time and because charging shots takes up more ink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom