• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The New Rank System

Joasa

Depressed Squid
I had the pleasure (or lack thereof) to play some ranked matches today and I noticed a few things in regard to the ranked meter

-Rank is no longer accompanied by a numerical value
-You do not directly lose rank upon losing a battle.

So I noticed when I lost sometimes the meter would shake a little. But othe times a crack would appear, but still no points were lost. I got 2 cracks in my meter before the stages changed, then I played, and managed to rank up from C- without any cracks. Specifically, I went straight from C- to B-, and I know I saw C and C+ players, which leads me to believe

If you rank up without any cracks in your meter, you will go up a letter rank.

Now I'm not sure how this works or how it will apply in the higher ranks (S/S+, although I doubt it will) buy I'm curious what your experiences are and what you think of this new system.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
if you get too many cracks, (aka once you hit 4), it penalizes you. i was THIS close to ranking up, but instead it reset my bar down to zero (not terrible since i was already in the B's and not that desperate to rank up).

i'm thinking that if that happens to you but your gauge hasn't hit the "OK" line yet, you'll rank down.

seems like it'll be easier to keep your rank.

Magitroopa

Full Squid
NNID
Magitroopa
Switch Friend Code
SW-6452-9209-2706
if you get too many cracks, (aka once you hit 4), it penalizes you. i was THIS close to ranking up, but instead it reset my bar down to zero (not terrible since i was already in the B's and not that desperate to rank up).

i'm thinking that if that happens to you but your gauge hasn't hit the "OK" line yet, you'll rank down.

seems like it'll be easier to keep your rank.

I saw some post on another site saying, "Too many cracks and you get demoted or reset if you are c-"

So since this has apparently happened to you, what is it exactly? I'm guessing no matter what letter you are, it brings the bar all the way to the start, but does not bring you down a letter, correct?

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
I assume if you're at an empty Rank bar (just ranked up/haven't won at all since) and get 4 cracks, then you're most likely getting demoted. It's less easy to tell at lower ranks, but you climb up to (eventually) S, it'll likely be much harsher penalties/much harder to maintain and climb rank.

On another note, I don't believe cracks have anything to do with progression. I got a crack and then work every game until rank up and went from C- to B- (likely affected by my being B- in other Ranked modes already).

Joasa

Depressed Squid
I assume if you're at an empty Rank bar (just ranked up/haven't won at all since) and get 4 cracks, then you're most likely getting demoted. It's less easy to tell at lower ranks, but you climb up to (eventually) S, it'll likely be much harsher penalties/much harder to maintain and climb rank.

On another note, I don't believe cracks have anything to do with progression. I got a crack and then work every game until rank up and went from C- to B- (likely affected by my being B- in other Ranked modes already).
The thing is, I was C- in Splat Zones (albeit one win away from ranking up) and I still got the super boost when it switched to Tower Control and I ranked up. Maybe it was because I was doing well? I dunno.

Magitroopa

Full Squid
NNID
Magitroopa
Switch Friend Code
SW-6452-9209-2706
I can also add, I had a few cracks in my bar for Splat Zones last night, and then I finally ranked up from C- to C, all cracks disappeared. That makes me feel a bit better, the cracks staying when you rank up would honestly be the worst.

fugginmanny

Inkling
NNID
fugginmanny
I was playing for a while and got my rank to a B+. Put the console on sleep and came back to it an hour later. When I returned, my rank was a C-. What's going on? Why did I lose all my rank?

Rioni

Inkling
NNID
eternaldannymoon
You gotta keep in mind that your rank is now separate to each modes. So for example, you may be like a B- on Tower Control, but you're a C on Splat Zones and an A in Rainmaker. So basically, you got 3 different ranks to deal with. You do have an overall ranking though, which is the average of all 3 modes combined.

Also, you get a super boost depending on how well you do on the mode. If you win a lot, then you'll rank up quicker.

StanleyJ

Inkling
NNID
jonstanley
I wondered how the "jump a whole rank" thing worked... never got to find out as been on far to many times the receiving end of rage quitters when my team successfully rush the objective in ranked... like a DC right when I'm about to slam dunk the rainmaker. I know it's not my connection, as outside of ranked it's solid.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
The skipping a rank thing is weird. I got way more splats than another guy but he skipped from B- to A whereas I only skipped to A-. The only thing he had more than me was turf inked, but it was tower control and we're using different weapons. Plus he didn't even get on the tower much lol. So I have no idea how rank skipping works other than getting lots of kills and winning.

Brycej67

Inkling
I was playing for a while and got my rank to a B+. Put the console on sleep and came back to it an hour later. When I returned, my rank was a C-. What's going on? Why did I lose all my rank?
I have had this same thing happen, played tower control, was almost to a B- and the ranked battle switched to splat zones, played this for a while off and on, then switched ranked battles again back to tower control. Now playing tower control, I was back to a C- with one crack in the meter, not understanding why I went back to a C-, anyone?

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
You will go up a rank if you lose ZERO matches, I went from C- to B- in all except splat zones, I lost 1 no cracks and only went to C.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
Your rank is now split into 3 different ranks with each one representing where you are in different modes. One rank for Tower Control, another rank for Rainmaker, and finally one for Splat Zones. This is because people perform differently in different modes so it doesn't really make any sense whatsoever to lump together your progress into one rank to represent them all. So it was a good call on the part of Nintendo to split the rank into 3 parts so people can have a better gauge of how well you perform in different modes. This might also explain why players are having an overall better experience with matchmaking in Ranked Battles on Splatoon 2 compared to Ranked Battles on Splatoon 1.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I prefer it, but, it's gonna be painful to lose all your progress on your rank. Especially deranking due to it.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I prefer it, but, it's gonna be painful to lose all your progress on your rank. Especially deranking due to it.
Better than constantly going back and forth, and eventually reaching a point where you just aren't allowed to make any progress at all. If anything, this enhances the thrill of it all, if you ask me. A lot of chances to get back up in the ranks.
Salmon Run on the other hand... It maintains a similar system to the old Ranked and Splatfest system, but good lord is it brutal once you get up there. I accidentally wound up with a team of three and failed miserably, getting my pay cut from 40 points into Profreshional all the way down to 40 points in Overachiever. Cruel, cruel mistress of fate.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Better than constantly going back and forth, and eventually reaching a point where you just aren't allowed to make any progress at all. If anything, this enhances the thrill of it all, if you ask me. A lot of chances to get back up in the ranks.
Salmon Run on the other hand... It maintains a similar system to the old Ranked and Splatfest system, but good lord is it brutal once you get up there. I accidentally wound up with a team of three and failed miserably, getting my pay cut from 40 points into Profreshional all the way down to 40 points in Overachiever. Cruel, cruel mistress of fate.
Wow I've only ever lost 10 at a time in profeshional. It went to 0 and then we won and pushed back up.

freddy02554

Inkling
NNID
freddy02554
Switch Friend Code
SW-6593-3016-8613
The way I believe you lose rank in salmon run is if you lose during the first round, you lose 20 points, if you lose during the second round, you lose 10 points, and if you lose during the 3rd round, you maintain your rank.

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I just ranked up from C- to B- in Rainmaker despite having 2 cracks. I'm pretty sure it's because despite losing, I was always one of the top players in the match (inked the most/inked paths, killed the most players, killed the rainmaker the most, contributed to the shield, carried the rainmaker to the goal in a few games, etc). I'm not sure exactly what causes rank skipping though.

For those wondering, I'm using the Inkbrush. I'd recommend it for ranking up in anything except possibly Tower Control, but I haven't actually played that yet so I can't say whether Splashdown is any good there.

P-Kong

Full Squid
I made it to S+ in SZ today.
This is my first time in S+ and I'm now convinced this new ranked system is much more lenient.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Here is a list of changes I noticed:
  • No more numbers, just a bar.
  • Sometimes when you lose, the "glass meter" starts cracking.
  • If you have 4 cracks you fall back a rank / the bar is been reseted (I think the action happening is determined by whenever or not you hit that "OK line")
  • S+ is no longer just one rank.. Apparently it is S+0 to S+50 (Atleast for what I read) if you fill the bar of S+0 you rank up to S+1, not sure what happens if you rank down in S+1 then.
  • S+ also has that Skipping mechanic: It is possible to skip from S+0 to S+2. It seems like that S+ is the title of 51 ranks.

It seems like that there are unseen variables for that skip rank mechanic. I read that the Kill-Death-Assist numbers are not part of that
Heres the list of me skipping ranks:
Splatzone:
C- to B-
B+ to A

Tower Controll:
C- to C+
B+ to A

Rainmaker:
C- to C+

I personally don't like the fact that you have a own rank in all three gamemodes which leads to you spending more time to rank up S+ overall and so you stay in bad rank for longer like me:
Splatzones: S+0
Towercontroll: A+
Rainmaker: A (Where I am normally getting like 10-20 kills in a round, while Splatzones is like 1-7 since Im in S+0 there...

Overall: I don't really understand every change they made, not because I don't like them but because I want to know how that is working. I am still wondering how that "you get a crack and you don't get a crack" mechanic works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom