• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Next US Splatfest: ART VS SCIENCE

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Oh well snails don't matter too much to me, but i'm surprised that everything was this close. Also this marks the first time a splatfest team has won on both factors in the United States (albeit, in a very close margin). Congrats Team Art!

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
Very surprised the numbers were this close, however that's a great thing. Good game everyone.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Talking about cutting it close. Its nice to no our team wasn't too far behind. Next time I'm going to pick the opposite of what I decide!

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Damn, Marie, I know we lost, but you don't need to be so mean.
I thought it was a genuinely funny jab at the reputation of people with art majors and their inability to land decent-paying work. (I am a film major, so I'm feeling that myself.) I know not every artist is like this, but the image of the "starving artist" exists for a reason whereas the starving scientist kind of went away towards the end of the Middle Ages. (In Europe, at least.)

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Great, three losses in a row. Enjoy the bonus snails.

I have to admit I miss the Japanese and European players during splatfests. American players seem to fluctuate so much, there are groups of pros, and groups of nubs, but little in between. So many matches seem to be blowouts rather than close games.

Also, I don't know if my internet is on drugs or something, but that was the worst lag I ever had even with regional matchmaking, yet it works perfectly fine when playing with 7 japanese players.

Pollyanna

Inkling
I rarely play Splatoon anymore and today I tried to get in on the Splatfest. I feel like a bag of **** because I clearly suck at the game, way too much time away. I don't feel like I'm contributing anything to my team and I feel like they'd all just rather me not play, and the makes me not feel like playing. I'm a piece of **** who likes everything about this game and wants to play it but I suck and feel like I'm taking fun away from the people that want to have fun.
Games are supposed to be fun. If you like everything about the game, play it for your own enjoyment. As for your concern on skill: just practice. I'm pretty ****e at warcraft 3, but that doesn't stop me from trying to get better. Best of luck to you, my boy.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Great, three losses in a row. Enjoy the bonus snails.

I have to admit I miss the Japanese and European players during splatfests. American players seem to fluctuate so much, there are groups of pros, and groups of nubs, but little in between. So many matches seem to be blowouts rather than close games.

Also, I don't know if my internet is on drugs or something, but that was the worst lag I ever had even with regional matchmaking, yet it works perfectly fine when playing with 7 japanese players.
This quote is so universally true although, on my end there was hardly any problems this time round (save the two in a row unstable connections that ended our games).

I can tell you this though, so many EU people CANNOT handle the Dynamo and they often pick something that either rolls or drops inkstrikes.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I was on art. Disconnections are equal opportunists evil. They don't care who they hurt. ;;

This is pretty funny, though.
I know it happens to everyone, but not to the same degree. In the 8 hours I played, Art Teams I faced had exactly 2 disconnects versus our 50+. Oh I also forgot to mention how some players seemingly had 300 HP. Surviving a successful kill hit isn't new thanks to Bubbler n Kraken, but these guys were tanking my Roller and Blaster instant kills without any of that. It wasn't lag massively delaying their death either, they just simply didn't die. In my near 4 months of playing the game I have never ever seen that happen.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I thought it was a genuinely funny jab at the reputation of people with art majors and their inability to land decent-paying work. (I am a film major, so I'm feeling that myself.) I know not every artist is like this, but the image of the "starving artist" exists for a reason whereas the starving scientist kind of went away towards the end of the Middle Ages. (In Europe, at least.)
Oh, c'mon, I'm an art student in college, don't fill my head with such worries about payment! D:

Siege

Inkling
Oof, no need to beat yourself up friend. It's not exactly a game anyone can just pick up and play. It takes time, effort and dedication to get up there. If you play a little bit a day, and just practice I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and soon be on your way to supporting your team more than you ever imagined. This game is surprisingly deep, so, it's going to take a little while to get comfortable with your weapon, gear, maps and controls. I'd just suggest knowing what you want to do before you play. I'm more of a defensive player, I stay back and ensure my team mates are safe, if that means killing off the enemy or whatever it may be. Truth is, before I met my handy dandy Heavy Splatling I wasn't really able to do it to the best of my abilities. I'm not huge on being in the front lines. However, the second the Heavy Splatling came out, that all changed, and I realized the best weapon this game could possibly bestow on me had fell right into my hands. So, don't worry, you've just gotta roll with the punches and get up and try harder. I promise you'll get the hang of it. :]
Games are supposed to be fun. If you like everything about the game, play it for your own enjoyment. As for your concern on skill: just practice. I'm pretty ****e at warcraft 3, but that doesn't stop me from trying to get better. Best of luck to you, my boy.
Thanks you two. I used to be good at the game when it came out but I'm far behind now. Big problem is not having enough time to play it on a regular basis to practice and get better. It seems to be the case with all multiplayer games that if so much of your time isn't dedicated to it you just feel like the outcast who doesn't belong there. Really this applies to anything I guess, not just Splatoon, and not just games, if you're not going to apply so much of yourself to something then just get out of the way for the people who do. Which is why I feel like doing nothing all the time because unless I'm awesome at it then why even waste other people's time?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom