• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The only thing I hate of Splatoon

Gab1bb0

Inkling
NNID
Emii900
Switch Friend Code
SW-3358-8459-2590
I love almost everything of Splatoon but there's a single thing I hate of it: since its first chapter they made it extremely bound to online servers, if these dies or you don't have NSO (in Splat 2 and 3) you can't earn in-game money and buy gear for your character therefore even if you just play local MP you're always stuck with the same weapons.

Nintendo wasn't always the most consumer friendly company but unlike others they always avoided to lock important content behind online gaming and their games were always pretty friendly to preservationists/retrogamers allowing them to live the full experience (or most of it) even decades after the game dies, sadly things seems to be slowly changing even for Nintendo and Splatoon looks like their first experiment in live service games which basically dies with their online service.

Something like a shared currency between story mode and multiplayer or the possibility of earning money in local multiplayer battles and salmon runs could have avoided that, Halo Reach had these and it made it almost entierly playable even after its server shut down.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It's more than just matchmaking, Splatoon 3 hosts most of your data server-side (unlike S1 and 2 which were all client-side). If try to wipe your save locally, you'll only lose story mode progress, all data pertaining to multiplayer remains on the server.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I mean, this isn't exclusive to Splatoon or Nintendo. All online-focused games are finite and will end eventually for one reason or another. Being a competitive shooter, Splatoon is definitely susceptible to that. Splatoon will die someday, just like every other online game.

Gab1bb0

Inkling
NNID
Emii900
Switch Friend Code
SW-3358-8459-2590
The only server Splatoon ever had was for matchmaking, that's it, everything else is peer-to-peer regarding online gameplay.
I know, most stuff is peer to peer (altough some stuff is changing as noted by missigno) and personally I like that, since it means preservation will be significantly easier in the future (look at how quick the making of Wiimmfi was), if only the netcode was better than how it is at the moment... CoD proves that you can build a stable online experience even using P2P.

Gab1bb0

Inkling
NNID
Emii900
Switch Friend Code
SW-3358-8459-2590
I mean, this isn't exclusive to Splatoon or Nintendo. All online-focused games are finite and will end eventually for one reason or another. Being a competitive shooter, Splatoon is definitely susceptible to that. Splatoon will die someday, just like every other online game.
I know but for example Halo games for the XBox 360 have a way to access weapons and other gear even past the shutdown of their servers: basically you can gain in-game currency even playing the single player campaign, their horde mode or local multiplayer so even without online you have access to most of the contents and you aren't stuck with the default stuff. I'd like to see something similar on future Splatoon chapters.

Cephalobro

From my experience, P2P is a bad system because it allows the host to force a disconnect on other players just because they (the host) are losing the match. This is more apparent when I played a Challenge match that was Tower Control, I can tell when someone had done it because I had a stable match until the very end, right before the tower reached the very end of its path.

If Nintendo insists on keeping P2P, then they should make it so another available Switch would be the new host immediately instead of letting the disconnect happen on another player at all, that way, those who have played the match fairly can still get their results as intended.

Gab1bb0

Inkling
NNID
Emii900
Switch Friend Code
SW-3358-8459-2590
If Nintendo insists on keeping P2P, then they should make it so another available Switch would be the new host immediately instead of letting the disconnect happen on another player at all, that way, those who have played the match fairly can still get their results as intended.
That's how it worked (and in part still works) on CoD or Halo, there's an host migration procedure in place for this exact reason.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Host migration does exist, if you see a large lagspike when a player disconnects that usually means they were the host.

And if you see one disconnect suddenly lead to several more, that means something went catastrophically wrong trying to pick a new host. Hopefully that gets fixed someday...

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
what i hate is the matchmaking at times and the many disconnects sometimes...do you know what's funny? my internet has a very good connection but even the game decides to sometimes give me a communication error during a match and you know what the ironic part is? it's always during a match that i'm winning never during 1 that i'm losing 😑 so yeah i do get kind of triggered by that..
the game needs to stop with the errors like ngl Splatoon 2 online was far from perfect but it was so much better

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
There are some issues, but if it's happening to you frequently then that's a sign that something probably is wrong on your end. Outside of that known host migration bug, I can count the number of times I've been DC'd on one hand.

If you're not already on a wired connection, strongly recommend getting that ethernet adapter. You can find them for like $10. Wifi is not good for fast-paced gaming.

D

Deleted member

The best game is that when you just started and you are still in the lobby and a communication error occurs

D

Deleted member

I hate it when some one disconnects right when the battle happens this happened to me when I was right about to do my second 100x battle for the Shiver vs. Frye vs. Big Man

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
Only thing I hate about Splatoon 3 is the disconnecting issues. Too many matches have been thrown because of someone disconnecting right when it begins which ruins it for everyone. I'm glad there's a punishment for that and that the other players don't get penalized because it's annoying as hell. If a player disconnects, they should be automatically replaced by another player so the match won't end or become one-sided. Most games do that so Splatoon should be no exception

Cephalobro

Only thing I hate about Splatoon 3 is the disconnecting issues. Too many matches have been thrown because of someone disconnecting right when it begins which ruins it for everyone. I'm glad there's a punishment for that and that the other players don't get penalized because it's annoying as hell. If a player disconnects, they should be automatically replaced by another player so the match won't end or become one-sided. Most games do that so Splatoon should be no exception
And the punishment for disconnecting should be far worse for those who do it on purpose. Like dropping a whole 100 points during Challenges.

Madt123

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
NNID
xerneas
Switch Friend Code
SW-5046-3858-9981
I hate it when some one disconnects right when the battle happens this happened to me when I was right about to do my second 100x battle for the Shiver vs. Frye vs. Big Man
on my first battle of the day with 5 mins left until the whole splatfest ends, im in halfway through the game, and my dad comes and says I have to do the laundry. And I say, well can I have 5 more mins? And he says,noand then pulls my cable connecting my switch to the tv

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
And the punishment for disconnecting should be far worse for those who do it on purpose. Like dropping a whole 100 points during Challenges.
But how can they tell the difference? People disconnect for various reasons and usually it's out of their control :( It's happened to me a few times even

Cephalobro

But how can they tell the difference? People disconnect for various reasons and usually it's out of their control :( It's happened to me a few times even
It's 2023 and if Nintendo still hasn't found a system that can tell the difference between intentional and unintentional disconnections, then Splatoon is still behind the times.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Unless you can invent mind-reading tech that will probe the user's brain to identify intent, that's literally not possible. The best we can do is rely on statistical inferences: if it happens once, it's probably not a big deal, but if it happens frequently, something's wrong.

Also, I would argue that intent doesn't matter much anyway. If you're causing frequent disconnects, that's a problem for other players regardless of whether you're knowingly kicking the router or you just have terrible internet that you're subjecting everyone else to. Either way, the problem is causing frequent disconnects.

D

Deleted member

It's more than just matchmaking, Splatoon 3 hosts most of your data server-side (unlike S1 and 2 which were all client-side). If try to wipe your save locally, you'll only lose story mode progress, all data pertaining to multiplayer remains on the server.
yeah but thats a good thing if u want to do the story mode again from the begining

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom