• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The "What do I use with this weapon?" Build Compendium

Ellen

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EllenM92
Another Tentatek build, because I love this weapon. Defense/speed build.

image.jpeg

Failed to get a perfect roll on the vest, but I got another run speed sub which was something I needed, so I went for a defense sub on the boots. Didn't get it, but I'm not pushing my luck with spyke right now. The damage up sub does counter people who run 1 defense main, so I suppose it's not exactly a wasted slot. Ideally there would be another defense sub, though. :)

Anyway, I really enjoy this build. I find the combination of darting around/extra survivability fits my play style perfectly. Some people think defense up is useless, and while it's true that it only pushes some weapons past their base shots to kill (and sometimes doesn't even do that if damage up is being used), it really seems to help with surviving more when near bombs, fall off damage, splash damage, things like that. And as a Tentatek, I'm usually right in the action, so it's very useful and helpful. Just my experience though, the Tentatek is so versatile and I have quite a few builds I'm working on for it!

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Alrighty guys! I've updated some builds and added a bunch of Sheldon's pick's volume 1. I still need the Tempered Dynamo, a Permanent Inkbrush that doesn't rely on shinies (sorry), and apparently a Sloshing Machine Neo.

If you've submitted a build for one of these weapons please let me know. I kinda lost track of who submitted what.

Also, if you've submitted a build for a weapon that already has an entry, unless it is ridiculously different, I will probably not include it in the main list. Although people are certainly welcome to peruse the thread to get more ideas (I will probably add a note at the beginning).

If anyone has time, please go through and check the builds for your favorite weapon to see if they are viable. I changed a few because I have a bit more experience now and I wanted some things to reflect that. But if you see something that looks terrible, please let me know and I will change it.

Thanks for your continued support. Also, remember to tell people about the thread when you help them with their gear (but don't just link here, actually help people :D)!

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
I still need the Tempered Dynamo, a Permanent Inkbrush that doesn't rely on shinies (sorry), and apparently a Sloshing Machine Neo.
Well you need a Sloshing Machine Neo set?

Set 1: Special charge build.

This my personal favorite set to run on the Sloshing Machine Neo (Do keep in mind I do not have triples on any of my gear except my squash headband.)

:head_eye007:/:head_vis001:
Orange Cardigan.
Strapping Reds./LE Football Studs.

One of the main problems of this weapon is it mediocre turfing capabilities. This set makes it way easier to charge your Inkzooka. From 220p to 184.8p. It allows you to use your Inkzooka more often and get it more reliably. What's also nice is that you only lose 40% of your special charged after getting splatted. So if you get splatted while you had your Inkzooka you'll get it back in a flash after respawning.

The Sloshing Machine is also really ink-hungry so :ability_inksavermain: is handy. You'll have 6 subs of :ability_inksavermain: if you choose to wear the Strapping Reds. :ability_inksavermain: also allows for more shots which means faster Inkzooka's.

Ink Resistance is self-explanatory. The Sloshing machine benefits from this, because of it's wonky turf capabilities. It also allows you to be more free and care less about enemy ink.

You can also choose the :head_vis001: over the :head_eye007:, but I find :ability_inkrecovery: better then :ability_inksaversub: on this weapon. Especially because the :pointsensor: doesn't consume that much ink. The LE Football Studs are also an option if you rather have even faster 'zooka's instead of :ability_inksavermain:. If you decide to run the Studs and you have 3 :ability_specialcharge: subs then it will increase your special charge rate from 184.8p to 171.8p. Which is a ~13p boost.

Set 2: Sloshing machine on a diet.

This set is for people who do not really rely on the Inkzooka and want to use main weapon as much as they can.

:head_hdp000:
:clothes_tes013:
Mawcasins

Whenever you use this weapon you'll notice that it runs out of ink, fast. Without any :ability_inksavermain: you'll run out of ink after 15 shots!!! That's why this set works. With all this :ability_inksavermain: (2 mains 3 subs to be exact.) You will have about 6-8 shots more. (I do not know the exact number, sorry about that). Which is huge!

The Mawcasins give you a faster ink recovery rate. Which is nice. It also has :ability_inksavermain: as subs. Which is important.

You have the :head_hdp000: because of :ability_specialduration:. With 3 subs it will give you one extra shot. Which is always handy. It also increase the time of the Inkzooka with 16%

:ability_specialcharge: Is still good, even on this set. Although not much, it will still decrease the special charge time with about one shot. So one shot less until you have Inkzooka.

There aren't really any other options. But some can still work. Like the :head_ncp001: instead of :head_hdp000: or :clothes_tes008: instead of :clothes_tes013:. It's your choice really.

Set 3: The gimmick.

This one is cool, but gimmicky. It allows you to get one hit ko's. Yup. You read it right. OHKO'S

:head_eye005:
:clothes_swt004:
:shoes_cfs001:

Well first I'm gonna explain how this even works. With 3 mains of :ability_damage: you'll cap at about 92 damage. That means that if an enemy Inkling took 8 damage from anything, it will die. (Your ink, splash damage, not fully recovered) That's basically all what this set does.

Well I'm only gonna explain the subs because :ability_damage: is self-explanatory.

:ability_specialduration: For one extra shot on the Inkzooka.
:ability_inksavermain: Because it eats ink like a beast.
:ability_swimspeed: For mobility and basically the only viable :ability_damage: shoe viable on the Sloshing Machine.

Not really anything special about this set, except it's ohko potential.

(When will they buff the Sloshing machine ;-; )

Hope I helped!

Last edited:

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
For Tempered Dynamo, I use the same sort of build as I do with my :wst_roller_compact01:, though for slightly different reasons.
The build can be achieved in a number of ways, but the main idea is to get :ability_comeback::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed::ability_quickrespawn:. If you really want to, you could switch out the :ability_quickrespawn: for more :ability_swimspeed:, but :ability_comeback: boosts swim speed enough that it's not necessary, IMO. (thought admittedly I tend to get splatted pretty frequently)

With the Tempered Dynamo, this covers a lot of its weakness. The :ability_swimspeed: covers the swim nerf, the :ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery: and :ability_inksaversub: help with all the ink it'll drain, and :ability_comeback::ability_quickrespawn: helps recover from trades faster. :ability_comeback: can be pretty great if you get splatted a lot, since it's a constant boost to ink efficiency, swim speed, and special charge up, so it's almost like

With the :wst_roller_compact01:, the same applies to :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksaversub::ability_quickrespawn: and :ability_comeback:, but :ability_inksavermain: and :ability_swimspeed: are more to boost rather than to cover a weakness.

These abilities are common enough that you can get them through natural rolls, and with a number of combinations. I'm putting all the possibilities here (to make it easier on anyone wanting to try it), but they're all the same thing.
:head_hbd003::ability_comeback::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
White Striped LS :ability_quickrespawn::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

:shoes_cfs000::ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:head_hbd003::ability_comeback::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Squid-Stitch Tee :ability_swimspeed::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Strapping Whites-:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Squid Nordic :ability_comeback::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:clothes_shirt003::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_cfs000::ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Squid Nordic :ability_comeback::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:clothes_tes010::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Mawcasins-:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
To make any of these combinations a little easier, the traditional headband ( :ability_comeback: ), :clothes_msn:( :ability_swimspeed: ), :clothes_rvl:( :ability_inksaversub: ), :shoes_msn001:( :ability_inksavermain: ), :head_amb000:( :ability_swimspeed: ), :clothes_amb000: ( :ability_inkrecovery: ), :shoes_amb000: ( :ability_inksaversub: ),:clothes_amb002: ( :ability_quickrespawn: ), and :shoes_amb002: ( :ability_inksavermain: ) all have these abilities with no brand perk, but it would likely take some save scumming to get it.

:shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:, Strapping Reds-:ability_inkresistance::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:, or :shoes_sht002::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: could be brought in if you want :ability_inkresistance:, but I personally don't see much use to it. :seeker: should keep you free of enemy ink if flicking isn't good enough, and while running low on ink could cause a problem, your ink efficiency should keep you out of that situation.
If you don't get splatted as much, you could leave :ability_comeback: out of the mix and try to stack more of an ability. These pieces of gear can be mixed in, too:
:head_cap006::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:clothes_tes012::ability_inkrecovery::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:head_hat001::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Blowfish Bell Hat :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:head_met000::ability_inkrecovery::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:head_cap003::ability_inksaversub::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:shoes_slo005::ability_quickrespawn::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:head_eye000::ability_quickrespawn::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Paisley Bandana :ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:clothes_prk000::ability_quickrespawn::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Pearl Tee :ability_inksaversub::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:clothes_swt000::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_sdl001::ability_quickrespawn::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:clothes_tes008::ability_inksavermain::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Gosh, this post turned into a 'how many pieces of gear can I find that have these abilities' game, but I hope it helps!

Ellen

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EllenM92
Hi guys! I have yet another Tentatek build. You'll see in this screencap that I'm only at A rank, but I think I know some things...? Maybe? Lol

Anyway, here it is.
image.jpeg

I've really been enjoying this build. The speed/defense combo is great with the Tentatek. I can zip around the map, and take a lot of hits from splash/fall off damage, as in way more than I initially thought. I decided to run some damage up as well. The 3 subs can take out people with 2 defense up mains, so more often than not, I'm getting that 3-hit splat, save for the odd occurrence of someone going full defense. If you want some run speed on there, the blue moto boots are also an option. I ran this for a while, but in the end, I value swim speed more. 1 main and 3 subs gives a pretty big boost, while 3 run speed subs only gave me a very minor boost in strafing speeds. I encourage you guys to try this out, or something similar! :D

Last edited:

sammich

Inkling Cadet
on the bamboozler mk III, i'd personally switch out blue moto boots for something else. with the burst bombs i just don't feel this weapon needs ink res up?

maybe switch it out for the brown rockenbergs with bomb range up and then free the shirt for something else.

:shoes_bot003::shoes_bot001:

not only will it give you room to boost another stat but you'll look a lot better as well because rockenberg. (yes i know the blue motos are also rockenbergs, but they aren't nearly as fresh as the ones with bomb throw up).

then you can have your pick on anything from squidforce, assuming it matches your snazzy new shoes.

Last edited:

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
I find :ability_inkresistance: to be really handy on any weapons who walks around mostly. So Squiffers, Bamboos, Splatlings. It's really hard to play those weapons without :ability_inkresistance:.
But ey this weapons has :burstbomb: so.

(Message 100!!!)

Last edited:

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
a Permanent Inkbrush that doesn't rely on shinies (sorry.
Its all good.

Heres the build I used before I managed to get the shiney if youd like to include this one:
(blue krakon bandana) :ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksaversub:
:clothes_rvl::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_specialcharge::ability_quicksuperjump:(as long as theres one sub saver sub then its all good, the QSJ and SCU dont matter)

This build also gets the 2nd splat bomb but its alittle less flexible than the shiney build.

Senpai

Inkster Jr.
NNID
luigi8623
Got one for rushing neo-splosh o' matic
Hat: Opening Gambit (Run Speed/Swim Speed subs)
Clothes: Swim Speed (Run Speed/ Swim Speed subs)
Shoes: Run Speed ( Ink Saver Sub sub) (or ink resistance with run speed subs)

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
For the CJS and the standard splattershot, (as well as anything else with burst bombs) don't you think you should have an ink saver sub as a main?
Custom JS doesn't really need it, as the burst bombs are more used as a finisher for closing enemies than a pressuring tool or long range option. The gun itself is really good at distance pressuring. It wouldn't hurt, but ink recovery is probably better in this case.

The vanilla splattershot is very flexible, so the only thing that seems borderline non-negotiable is the 2 subs of damage. This makes one burst bomb + one bullet give you a splat. There are a bunch of different ways to build it, stacking sub saver being one of them. I run 1 main and 3 subs of sub saver (gets you three bombs), 2 mains of bomb range, and 3 swim speed (with some damage). You could also run it with just a ton of movement speed and some damage if you want a more slayer build and less long range pressure.

Sub saver does help though, and I usually try to run at least 3 subs of it.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
Custom JS doesn't really need it, as the burst bombs are more used as a finisher for closing enemies than a pressuring tool or long range option. The gun itself is really good at distance pressuring. It wouldn't hurt, but ink recovery is probably better in this case.

The vanilla splattershot is very flexible, so the only thing that seems borderline non-negotiable is the 2 subs of damage. This makes one burst bomb + one bullet give you a splat. There are a bunch of different ways to build it, stacking sub saver being one of them. I run 1 main and 3 subs of sub saver (gets you three bombs), 2 mains of bomb range, and 3 swim speed (with some damage). You could also run it with just a ton of movement speed and some damage if you want a more slayer build and less long range pressure.

Sub saver does help though, and I usually try to run at least 3 subs of it.
Same here. I always have 3 ink saver (sub) subs for anything with burst bombs.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Yeah, but even with 3 you can't shoot afterward so a main is perfect for me.
The purpose is to have the option of throwing 3 bombs at once as that's generally the amount needed to splat especially when doing the burst bomb the ground tactic. Sure you can't shoot immediately afterwards if you throw 3, but that's still better than not having the option to throw 3.

Ink Recovery and Saver Main are better for general ink efficiency, Saver Sub is only more useful in specific set-ups, namely to let you throw more bombs at once or to let you actually use your main weapon after throwing a Seeker.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
I also want to submit a Splattershot Pro set that isn't based around Ink savers and Bomb range. It's a damage set that allows you to 2HKO opponents if they take any damage. Here's the build:

:head_hat001: :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:clothes_swt004::ability_damage::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_cfs001::ability_damage::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

The :ability_inksavermain: is there for obvious reasons. The Splattershot Pro is an ink-hungry weapon and this exact amount of :ability_inksavermain: will decrease ink used by 23.8%. Which is alot.
The 2 mains of :ability_damage: will crank your damage to 49.5 per shot (If I'm correct) which is 99.0 per 2 shots. This allows the 2HKO's to be possible. It also allows you to have consistent 3HKO's, even with Fall-off.

:ability_swimspeed: is for more mobility. Which is always handy.
:ability_inksaversub: is mostly filler, but it could help you in a pinch. Saving some ink after using your sub is always appreciated.

You could also run:

:head_ncp001::ability_inksavermain::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
:clothes_swt002::ability_defenseup::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Bubble Rain Boots:ability_damage::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

Still allows you to get 2HKO's, but also has 3 mains worth of :ability_defenseup: so you can tank some hits and have more survivability.

HTLNBLNG

Inkling
NNID
GalaxyFight11
i'd like to submit my corocoro roller set, please.

Paisley Bandanna - :ability_inksaversub: main
3x :ability_swimspeed:

Dark Urban Vest - :ability_coldblooded: main
3x :ability_inksaversub:
or
Squidstar Waistcoat - :ability_coldblooded: main
or
Fugu Tee - :ability_swimspeed: main
3x :ability_inksaversub:

Hunter Hightops - :ability_inkrecovery:

the corocoro roller is unique in that it is a close range weapon with splash walls. for this weapon, the walls are not lazily used to fire behind; instead, their aim is to restrict enemy movement and provide an easier way to get in.

the bandana's purpose is obvious: increase usability of splash walls while increasing swim speed, which is important to any roller, as it allows for greater mobility and ease of ambush.

here's where it gets tricky. cold blooded is amazing for remaining stealthy, which benefits the corocoro roller greatly. the dark urban veat is the optimal choice here, but the squidstar waistcoat is another option. for the adventurous, the fugu tee can be used as well, if you have the utmost confidence in you avoidance abilities.

the hunter hightops allow for ink recovery, which is useful for quickly recouping any losses done by throwing a wall. it also allows for more flicks to be done out of the ink after using a wall, too. swim speed up's always a nice addition, too.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
You have a 2.67 sec cool down after using a wall. So why would you use Ink recovery up there?

The_Devious

Inkster Jr.
NNID
The_Devious97
I don't have all the subs I need for this set yet, but here's the set I plan on using for the berry pro:

:head_ncp001::ability_inksavermain::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
:clothes_swt001::ability_bombrange::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_shi004::ability_inkrecovery::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

First of all, no shinies in this set! :ability_inksavermain::ability_inkrecovery:are there to make the berry a bit more ink efficient, as it is a huge ink hog. :ability_bombrange:is obviously there for suction bombs and is especially useful since it affects both the sub and special weapon in this kit. :ability_damage:is for securing a 3 hit kill in the case of :ability_defenseup:or fall off damage. It may even lead to a 2 hit kill if an inkling is already damaged a bit when you start shooting at it.

HTLNBLNG

Inkling
NNID
GalaxyFight11
You have a 2.67 sec cool down after using a wall. So why would you use Ink recovery up there?
good point. admittedly, this is but a framework. i found that ink recovery works best with my style of play. one could also use the blueberry casuals (the exact same main and subs as the bandanna), or even something like the choco clogs ( :ability_quickrespawn: main, 3x :ability_swimspeed:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom