• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The "What do I use with this weapon?" Build Compendium

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Exactly this.

Will we ever be getting those missing thumbnails?
I have no idea. I wish we would but I doubt it at this point.

@Everyone
I've added the new weapons and a few builds. I need builds for the slosher, dynamo, squiffer, and mini from Sheldon's box.

I'm also going to be updating a few things, but a lot changed in this patch...

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I could supply my Soda Slosher build, currently loving it and would like to help out with an all round build. Admittedly mine uses a shiny, but with what I use it's very easy to swap things around. Anyway this is what I use:

:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - Fugu Bell Hat (Blowfish Bell Hat for the NA version)
:ability_specialsaver:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: - Shirt & Tie
:ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: - Strapping Reds

One main of special saver helps boost the already generous Light special loss, allowing for your special meter to be raring to go by the time you re-enter the battle after being splatted whilst having a full special meter, due to the tenacity effect added in Ranked. Ink Recovery and Ink Saver Sub are both excellent to combine into one, allowing for less ink intensive Splat Bombs and a slightly faster ink refill, so you can keep up your ink levels for applying pressure with the main weapon. The swim speed boost is good too, as this weapon needs to get in range as quickly as possible to deal the 2 sloshes needed to splat, and this offers that without going overboard. Ink Resistance is there for the simple reason that the Sloshers struggle to paint the ground at your feet well, and after trying this weapon without Ink Resistance, I was getting stuck more easily, making it harder to manoeuvre around. The Soda Slosher is pretty flexible with what you can throw on it, and this build gives it better ink efficiency and movement (thanks to swim speed and Ink Resistance), to enable you to get close and attack without running out of ink faster than you'd like.

To replicate this build, you only need to to swap out the Strapping Reds and have this instead:

:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - Fugu Bell Hat
:ability_specialsaver:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: - Shirt & Tie
:ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: - :shoes_shi005:

As an alternative, you can ditch the Ink Saver Main for more Ink Saver Sub, with the following build structure:

:ability_inksaversub:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver: - :head_hbd004:
:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: - Fugu Tee
:ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: - :shoes_sht002:

Since Ink Saver Main isn't overly effective on Sloshers, having more Ink Saver Sub will boost ink efficiency more than Ink Saver Main, so this build swaps out 3 subs of Ink Saver Main for 3 subs of Ink Saver Sub, giving less ink intensive bombs (Splat Bombs are pretty ink intensive), whilst keeping the Ink Recovery and Swim Speed in with little impact on their effectiveness. It should achieve similar results to the first build, since it's only replacing Ink Saver Main for Ink Saver Sub, and as previously mentioned, the extra Ink Saver Sub should prove more effective overall with ink efficiency than having 3 subs of Ink Saver Main.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Alrighty guys, it's that time. . .

I'm sure you all saw this coming, but I've been in the lab trying to get the premier gear for the loves of my Life, the Hydra Splatlings. After the Echolocator nerf, I have a hard time defending my usage of the Vanilla Hydra and have instead began to steer more towards the Custom variant. With that said, I've been looking into optimizing a set for it with the new, ever so sweet Damage buff the Hydra received.

Both Vanilla & Custom Hydra Splatlings

:head_ncp001: :ability_inksavermain: | :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

:clothes_tly003: :ability_inksavermain: | :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:

:shoes_sht004: :ability_damage: | :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: or :shoes_cfs001: :ability_damage: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Ink Saver main is sort of a no brainer, the Hydra Splatling guzzles ink like no other, and Ink Saver main helps in alleviating that. With 2 Mains it adds an extra fully charged shot or 2 half charged shots. The Defense up is for the VERY few no damage up Gals out there, which allows you to avoid the 2HKO and it becomes a 3HKO. Although a damage up less Gal is very uncommon, it can still come in handy if and when you do run into one. The Gals either run 1 main + 3 subs or none at all, so I felt it was appropriate to prepare for the latter, since it's impossible to avoid the 2HKO from the former. The Damage up investment allows you to guarantee the 3HKO from a fully charged shot on all Inklings running 3 Def mains and below. Ink Recovery up is there simply to lessen the time it takes to recover Ink. Swim Speed can also be used to sort of alleviate the nerf the Heavy weapons received in the recent updates.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
What should I use for a Wasabi SS?
I currently run :head_hat001::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:,:clothes_jkt003: :ability_damage:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_inksaversub::ability_quickrespawn:, and :shoes_slp002::ability_defenseup:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:. What can I improve on?
I tend to use special charge or tenacity, as I like to drop lots of inkstrikes. But if you are just using it because it is a solid all-around weapon with a good bomb, I'd try to add as much movement speed as possible.

If you want to keep the dmg up to counter defense builds, you could try using the rockenberg black or the layered anchor LS for some run speed. Then the white kicks for swim speed and more run speed. Should give you a good amount of strafe speed for firefights. Since you already have the perfect jungle hat, you can use it - the abilities certainly help if you are a stand-and-shoot sort of player.

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
As my name indicates, I main the Sploosh, the Neo one to be exact. I am LVL 49 and A on the brink of A+. For a long time, I played all wrong with this weapon, charging straight in and getting splatted a lot. Eventually, I realized this weapon is all about mobility and stealth. I do not recommend Ninja Squid though as it sucks from Swim Speed. I am sure S+ players could benefit from the usual advanced abilities, like Coldblooded and Recon. I am still not good enough to really benefit from those though, so think of this as the guide for the average Sploosher.

Anyways, I have experimented with a lot of builds, and I have come to the conclusion that this weapon's gear must do two main things: (1) increase mobility and (2) result in more special usage (Krakens gotta Kraken).

Mobility is key because you need to basically press the Sploosh against your opponent to get a kill due to its deplorable range. Swim Speed Up, Run Speed Up, and Ink Resistance are your targets. I would argue Ink Resistance is especially important as you will need to get kills by jumping into an opponent's ink sometimes so you can press the Sploosh right up against them. It is also good for when you miss and need to make a quick exit. I also value Run Speed Up over Swim Speed Up as you get more bang for your buck and you will need to be laying down ink a lot to help your team.

Special usage is also critical in Ranked as the Kraken is invaluable in clearing a zone regardless of the mode. Thus, Special Saver, Special Charge Up and Special Duration are good. I like Special Saver better than Charge Up as the Sploosh tends to get splatted a lot (so Quick Respawn is also one thing you may want to consider, though I do not favor it as a main).

My current build is:

:head_cap010::ability_specialsaver:I:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkrecovery:
Layered Anchor LS:ability_runspeed:I:ability_quickrespawn::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialduration:
Soccer Cleats :ability_inkresistance:I:ability_swimspeed::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

There are a lot of other items that will get you similar results (and I sort of lucked out with the clothing I currently have because it does not have a huge chance of rolling some of that stuff.

Other headgear to consider: :head_cap005::head_cap009::head_eye006::head_met003::head_met004:Skull Bandana
Other clothing to consider: Zapfish Satin Jacket:clothes_tly008:Krak On 528:clothes_tes001:Forge Inkilng Parka:clothes_tel006:Green Tee:clothes_plo001:White Inky Rider
Other shoes to consider: :shoes_bot003::shoes_shi005:

All the gear above has either Special Saver, Special Charge Up, Run Speed, Swim Speed, or Ink Resistance as a main. They also have a higher chance of rolling one of the others or Special Duration Up or Quick Respawn. The perfect build as of now I suppose would be something like

Skull Bandana :ability_specialsaver:I:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
Krak On 528 :ability_runspeed:I:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Soccer Cleats :ability_inkresistance:I:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

That would be one of the ugliest combinations I think the game could produce...

As you can tell, I consider Ink Resistance to be almost a necessity. Others may disagree, but I find it saves me from getting splatted a lot. I have also used Comeback some but just do not really feel like it is worth it over another main.

Let me know what you think if you play Sploosh!

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
Ignore how it's an Inkbrush Nouveau in the picture, it's for the Permanent Inkbrush. This set has easy rolls (minus the Octoling armor) and gives you just enough Ink Saver to throw 2 Splat Bombs. The Swim Speed up is, of course, helpful on an Inkbrush to get the heck out of dodge.

Attachments

splooshlover

Inkster Jr.
As my name indicates, I main the Sploosh, the Neo one to be exact. I am LVL 49 and A on the brink of A+. For a long time, I played all wrong with this weapon, charging straight in and getting splatted a lot. Eventually, I realized this weapon is all about mobility and stealth. I do not recommend Ninja Squid though as it sucks from Swim Speed. I am sure S+ players could benefit from the usual advanced abilities, like Coldblooded and Recon. I am still not good enough to really benefit from those though, so think of this as the guide for the average Sploosher.

Anyways, I have experimented with a lot of builds, and I have come to the conclusion that this weapon's gear must do two main things: (1) increase mobility and (2) result in more special usage (Krakens gotta Kraken).

Mobility is key because you need to basically press the Sploosh against your opponent to get a kill due to its deplorable range. Swim Speed Up, Run Speed Up, and Ink Resistance are your targets. I would argue Ink Resistance is especially important as you will need to get kills by jumping into an opponent's ink sometimes so you can press the Sploosh right up against them. It is also good for when you miss and need to make a quick exit. I also value Run Speed Up over Swim Speed Up as you get more bang for your buck and you will need to be laying down ink a lot to help your team.

Special usage is also critical in Ranked as the Kraken is invaluable in clearing a zone regardless of the mode. Thus, Special Saver, Special Charge Up and Special Duration are good. I like Special Saver better than Charge Up as the Sploosh tends to get splatted a lot (so Quick Respawn is also one thing you may want to consider, though I do not favor it as a main).

My current build is:

:head_cap010::ability_specialsaver:I:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkrecovery:
Layered Anchor LS:ability_runspeed:I:ability_quickrespawn::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialduration:
Soccer Cleats :ability_inkresistance:I:ability_swimspeed::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

There are a lot of other items that will get you similar results (and I sort of lucked out with the clothing I currently have because it does not have a huge chance of rolling some of that stuff.

Other headgear to consider: :head_cap005::head_cap009::head_eye006::head_met003::head_met004:Skull Bandana
Other clothing to consider: Zapfish Satin Jacket:clothes_tly008:Krak On 528:clothes_tes001:Forge Inkilng Parka:clothes_tel006:Green Tee:clothes_plo001:White Inky Rider
Other shoes to consider: :shoes_bot003::shoes_shi005:

All the gear above has either Special Saver, Special Charge Up, Run Speed, Swim Speed, or Ink Resistance as a main. They also have a higher chance of rolling one of the others or Special Duration Up or Quick Respawn. The perfect build as of now I suppose would be something like

Skull Bandana :ability_specialsaver:I:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
Krak On 528 :ability_runspeed:I:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Soccer Cleats :ability_inkresistance:I:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

That would be one of the ugliest combinations I think the game could produce...

As you can tell, I consider Ink Resistance to be almost a necessity. Others may disagree, but I find it saves me from getting splatted a lot. I have also used Comeback some but just do not really feel like it is worth it over another main.

Let me know what you think if you play Sploosh!
Replying to my own post less than a day later, after posting this I decided I would actually try to play awhile without the ink resist since I recommended it so highly. It had been a long time since I had gone without it. To tell you the truth, I did not really miss it that much. If you play smart, it is pretty much unnecessary. Plus the Sploosh puts out ink quick enough if you need to make a break for it. Instead, I used special charge up (Rockemberg Punk Whites) and I had a very good day. Krakens we're coming to me often, and I got hot in Rainmaker. I also switched to some gear with ink saving sub abilities and was spamming point sensors at the other team constantly. I'm kind of mad at myself for sticking with ink resist for so long. Just wanted to correct myself!

Last edited:

Ellen

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EllenM92
This thread is so helpful. Wish I had seen it before I made a post asking for build advice on my weapons but hey, still awesome! Lol. The first 96 deco build gear is what I've been using with a few changes to the subs: I use 4 swim speed up subs and only 2 special duration subs. In place of the other subs listed, I have an extra ink saver main sub, a special saver, and a damage up. I find it works well and is incredibly ink efficient. :3

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
This thread is so helpful. Wish I had seen it before I made a post asking for build advice on my weapons but hey, still awesome! Lol. The first 96 deco build gear is what I've been using with a few changes to the subs: I use 4 swim speed up subs and only 2 special duration subs. In place of the other subs listed, I have an extra ink saver main sub, a special saver, and a damage up. I find it works well and is incredibly ink efficient. :3
With the .96 gal changes I'd probably run some damage up nowadays. Something like:

White Headband :head_first::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Rainy Day Tee :clothes_tes008::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Plum Casual :shoes_cfs001::ability_damage:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
This counters defense users while still maintaining ink efficiency and movement speed for re-positioning.

rsnw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jamipami
Here are some fresh Fresh Squiffer builds:

All-rounds build:
Takoroka Mesh :head_cap002::ability_defenseup: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
Black Baseball LS :clothes_tel006::ability_swimspeed: | :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Red Hi-tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Aggressive:
Two Stripe Mesh :head_cap010::ability_specialsaver: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Black Pipe Tee :ability_specialsaver: | :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: (neutral roll)
Blue Moto Boots:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Defensive:
Lightweight Cap :head_cap001::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Mountain Vest :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
LE Soccer Cleats :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge: or Blue Moto Boots:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

You can mix the sets listed above with each others, but these abilities are mostly what you want to use. Swim speed and run speed are your best friends, swim speed is also added for the kraken. Defense up can come handy when approaching longer ranged weapons or close combat (which you should avoid) Special abilities are good, but not necessary if you play more of a support role. Ink resistance is a must. I feel like there is no need for ink efficiency abilities.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Refurbished Mini Splatling

Hero Headset Replica :head_msn000::ability_runspeed:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: (brandless) [at least two damage subs and one main can work too]
Rockenburg Black :clothes_tes005::ability_damage:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Blue Moto Boots :shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Refurbished Mini was one of the new weapons from sheldon's pick that caught my eye so I decided to use it as part of my arsenal of weapons
with this set you can still run around like a mad man but with burst bombs to cover more ground easliy...
since burst bombs got buffed (and nerf'd) you can pretty much always deal medium indirect damage to you opponents and two shots from the splatling itself can result in a 3hko instead of the usual 4hko hell a direct from a burst bomb can result in 2hko if you're lucky enough
just be mindful of your burst bomb usage...
(if the opponent has no defense mains that is...)
sorry if doesn't make any sense...

Ellen

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EllenM92
I use the Tentatek, and I usually use a pure speed build. However, I've recently been playing around with this build (couldn't get the pictures to work right for me while on my phone, so just made a pic in PowerPoint):

image.jpeg

I enjoy the mix of speed, offence and defense this provides me with. I may reroll the hat and shoes for all 3 subs, but on the other hand, since spyke hates me, I may just settle for the semi perfect gear. Special duration/saver are never bad to have. So yeah, that's just a set I've recently started using.

Last edited:

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
Not exactly sure if its widely agreed upon but I tend to use the Permanent brush with the subsaver build to play more of a 'trickster' role.

:head_hdp001::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:clothes_tes010::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: (Against echos and such I usually switch to :clothes_vest002::ability_coldblooded::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:)
:shoes_cfs000::ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

*the key to using this is knowing how to use splat bombs; rolling and such*
This build obviously focuses on being able to use the splat bombs as a semi-main.
I tend to throw one behind the enemy before I attack so the enemy doesnt have a choice but to get in my range. Throwing one behind the enemy then quickly rolling one infront of the enemy is also pretty good too.
Having that second bomb and constant access to a splat bomb in general, really boosts the utility of this weapon and allows you to trap people in nooks and around corners like in Arowana and hammerhead. having access to two bombs also allows you to zone longer ranged weapons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom