• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The "What do I use with this weapon?" Build Compendium

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
With the recent ability updates I'll be changing a few of my old ones to have alternate shirts/headgear/shoes or downright replace the things I have in place. As I've gotten back into Splatoon recently I've begun to disect gear sets more for my mains to see what works and what doesn't. So, I'll likely begin on one when I get home from work today.

Woth that said, Haunt is stupidly good now lol, I love it. Good way to punish one of the more common specials in the game.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
So after a bit of work, I've managed to put together a new all-around build for the Tentatek/Octoshot that I've been enjoying so far.

This build offers a good mixture of typical Tentatek abilities and further augments them with Haunt. When you're not being tracked, the lone sub of Damage Up will give you enough power to handle enemies with up to 4 subs of Defense Up, and your own moderate amount of Defense Up will give you an edge over some enemy Tentateks (and perhaps even a few .52 Gals). Ink Resistance Up and a decent amount of Swim Speed Up round out your base stats by keeping you mobile, though not amazingly so. However, should you get hit by a tracking attack, Haunt will kick in and further boost your speed and power. With it, you'll have a formidable amount of Defense Up (more than 3 main abilities' worth), as well as decent quantities of Damage Up, Swim Speed Up, and Run Speed Up, giving you a real chance at turning the tables on your opponents. The added ability to mark any opponent who happens to splat you (potentially saving your teammates from a flanking opponent) is just icing on the cake.

Of course, I am aware that I've got an unusual roll on the hat that I'm using for this build. If you're looking for an easier way to recreate it, here's a near-identical set that shouldn't take too much luck to put together.

:head_cap001::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
:clothes_tes016::ability_haunt:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
:shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage:

Here, you just need one off-brand Damage Up sub on the shoes, which shouldn't be too much harder to get than a third sub of Swim Speed Up.

(Oh, and by the way, I happened to notice just now that you've got an "L-3 Nozlelnose D" in your list of weapons. Is there something "lel-worthy" about the L-3 D that I'm not aware of? :p)

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This thread really ought to be a sticky thread, considering how much good stuff is in here.

So I've been fooling around with the Splattershot Pro for a few weeks now. It's a good gun, it's just extremely ink hungry. Which is why I've been using this setup for it:

:head_hat001: (Main :ability_inksavermain:, subs 2x :ability_inksaversub: & 1x :ability_damage:)
:clothes_shirt003: (Main :ability_inkrecovery:, subs 2x :ability_inksavermain: & 1x :ability_inksaversub:)
:shoes_shi004: (Main :ability_inkrecovery:, subs 2x :ability_swimspeed: & 1x :ability_quickrespawn:)
(Again, it should ideally be triples all around. Let's pretend they are for now.)

Main Ink Saver and Ink Recovery Up are combined to maximize ink efficiency, with the Sub Saver serving to lessen the impact of tossing out a Splat Bomb. Swim Speed Up is there for the obligatory mobility buff, allowing you to better position yourself (as @SupaTim mentioned in his build).

The emphasis is on Ink Recovery over Main Ink Saver, both in order to keep your ink tank topped off, and because I've found that Main Ink Saver only neuters the Splattershot Pro's ink consumption rather than counteracting it (if that makes sense). The emphasis on ink efficiency also comes at the cost of overall mobility. I prefer firing from the gun's max distance, so it doesn't bother me too much, but if you find yourself needing to swim further, consider these alternatives:
:head_cap006: (Main :ability_swimspeed:, subs 3x :ability_inksaversub:)
:clothes_tes008: (Main :ability_inksavermain:, subs 3x :ability_swimspeed:)
The former sacrifices some additional firing time, while the latter sacrifices some extended recovery time. Take your pick.

With the buff to Sub Ink Saver, I've also considered the benefits of having an extra main of it. Something like this:
:shoes_cfs000: (Main :ability_inksaversub:, subs 3x :ability_swimspeed:)
Now, after throwing a Splat Bomb, you're left with about 39-40% ink left in the tank; this lets you fire away for a little longer, or you can hide away and refill that extra 21% to toss out another bomb.

space_armada

Inkling
NNID
miikidmario
For the Comeback Sets I've been using for the Krak-On Splat Roller :wst_roller_normal01: :

With Ink Resistance:

:head_cap007: :ability_comeback:I :ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
Retro Gamers Jersey :ability_quickrespawn:I :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:

:shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance:I :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Without Ink Resistance:

:head_hbd003: :ability_comeback:I :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

Retro Gamers Jersey :ability_quickrespawn:I :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:

:shoes_slo004: :ability_swimspeed:I :ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:

For my builds with weapons, I am balanced and tend to try and fit every sort of ability that will compensate with the weapon I am using. Plus, with the new addition of Special Charge Up with Comeback in the 2.6.0 update, I can experiment with other abilities. I just wish that the duration of Comeback would extend to 30 seconds to better warrant its use. :(

Cactus

Semi-Pro Squid
Personally, I think these are the best Dynamo (Regular/Silver) Setup.

Super Jump Stacking: Jump to any opponent quickly and sneakily. This gear is hard to get.

Pros:
  • Jumping is very quick.
  • If you die, you can quickly and sneakily jump back to your ally to splat opponents.
  • Recon shows you where the enemies are after respawning, letting you see which opponent is best to jump to.
Cons:
  • Stealth Jump slows your jump speed.
  • Respawn is slow.
  • Gear is difficult to obtain.
:head_cap008: :ability_quicksuperjump: :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
:clothes_tes023: :ability_recon: :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
:shoes_shi002: :ability_stealthjump: :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:

ReSpawn and Super Jump Stacking: Jump to opponents quickly, without fear of waiting too long if you die. This gear is 'easy' to get.

Pros:
  • Respawning is much quicker, allowing you to jump to allies and help them in battle.
  • Super jumping isn't quite as slow, and you're hidden while jumping.
  • This gear is easier to obtain.
Cons:
  • No Recon, you have no idea who is by your ally when you jump.
NOTE: Recon, in my opinion, is crucial when using these kinds of setups (Quick Super Jump) with Dynamo
  • Jump time is slower in this build
  • Stealth jump slows your speed.

Straw Boater: :ability_quicksuperjump: :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Retro Gamer Jersey: :ability_quickrespawn: :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
Any Stealth Jump: :ability_stealthjump: :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:

Final Builds:

Jumping/Respawn Time: Hardest to obtain

:head_cap008: :ability_quicksuperjump: :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump: or :head_cap009: :ability_quickrespawn: :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:clothes_tel007: :ability_quicksuperjump: :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump: or :clothes_tel000: :ability_quickrespawn: :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:shoes_slp001: :ability_quicksuperjump: :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump: or :shoes_sht009: :ability_quickrespawn: :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:

Pros:
  • Obviously Respawn Time/Super Jump Time is MUCH quicker
  • You can get back into the action much quicker
  • Mixing these two builds could be the ultimate build. Fast respawning with very fast jump times.
Cons:
  • Difficult to obtain
  • No stealth jump, enemies will be able to see you jumping.
  • No recon, can't see which ally is safe to jump to, or who is near by them.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
Gear for Sploosh:

Squid Nordic: :ability_comeback::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
This is your Swim Speed Up, RunSpeed Up, Ink Saver Main, Ink Recovery Up and Special Charge Up

Retro Gamer Jersey :ability_quickrespawn: :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_runspeed::ability_quicksuperjump:
Jumping goes faster, as well as Respawning
Run Speed Up complements the subs on the shoes

:shoes_bot002::ability_quicksuperjump: :ability_runspeed::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_runspeed:
Combined with the subs on the shirt, it makes exactly one main of both Run Speed and QSJ

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Question: Does Special duration up lenghten echolocator? If not then some sets with echo give falso information and need to be reworked

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
I want to explore new sets for the .96 Deco in light of the upcoming nerf. For starters, its damage is getting dropped to 52 per shot, the same as the .52. This means that 1 main + 3 subs of damage up is mandatory to ensure a 2HKO against 3 mains of defense up. (Not sure about additional defense subs past that.) In addition, losing 75% of its special upon death means that special saver is now very tempting on the .96 Deco, especially since Kraken takes longer than average to charge. And it still wants swim speed (for Kraken) and ink saver/recovery (because it's still an ink hog).

The following pieces of gear leap out at me as being interesting candidates for a post-nerf .96 Deco build:

:head_first::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:head_eye005::ability_damage:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:head_cap010::ability_specialsaver:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

:clothes_tly003::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:clothes_jkt003::ability_damage:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_swt004::clothes_tel003::ability_damage:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Shirt & Tie: :ability_specialsaver:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

shoes_first:ability_specialsaver:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:shoes_cfs001::ability_damage:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:shoes_sht004::ability_damage:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

It's a pity there are no SquidForce shirts with swim speed up.

Last edited:

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Heres my Permanent Inkbrush and Slosher deco set :D

I can't call myself a stylish squid unless my shirt and socks match xD
No but, it's really good on them. I play a little more defensively then the weapons (especially inkbrush) might call for so I try to manage my ink really well. Special saver + both are Light Weapons lets me save a lot of special, and comeback boosts special charge up amongst it's other stat boosts.
Swim Speed up x2 benefits me during the whole match, and the weapons themselves just function really well without really needing damage up or anything.
and of course when i screw up I come back really quickly >:3

What have y'all been running/would reccomend for the permanent inkbrush?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Hey everyone! I've been away for awhile and I haven't been updating the thread...apologies. Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy IRL for the foreseeable future and I don't have as much time to go through each build that has been posted right this instant. I will try to slowly work my way through in the next couple of weeks, but it may have to wait until summer. Just FYI, if a build includes a shiny or pure I probably won't add it as that are super difficult to get. I also anticipate lots of changes to existing builds because of today's patch (2.7.0). Thanks for your patience!

Last edited:

Xelor

Inkling
Can you update this for the new weapons?

Also any good berry pro builds?

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
Can you update this for the new weapons?

Also any good berry pro builds?
I think Bomb Range Up and Ink Saver Main/Sub are mandatory on the Berry. Ink Saver is obvious since the Splattershot Pro is a huge ink hog, but Suction Bombs + Bomb Rush I think justifies Bomb Range Up given how core they are to the set. That said, it's possible to go overboard with the range boosts and end up with a Suction Bomb that you can't effectively use at certain ranges, such as throwing it up on a ledge. I generally try to make the throw range approximate the gun range for zoning utility purposes.

Ink Resistance is also helpful because it doesn't spread ink too well and Suction Bombs are bad at inking your feet due to the long fuse time.

:head_hat001::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:clothes_swt003::ability_bombrange:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:shoes_slo006::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

There are lots of alternative options available for all gear slots depending on how much you want to prioritize cheaper bombs, a more efficient main gun, bomb range, a longer bomb rush, or even extra damage to steal kills more easily.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Aren't those shoes the Clownfish Basics? The one with Special charge up and Swim speed up?
He's thinking of the strapping reds, which don't actually have a picture, but they do look a bit similar at first glance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom