The "What do I use with this weapon?" Build Compendium

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Oh! That reminds me! I've also got an L-3 Nozzlenose D set as well. I'll be adding it later as I'm a bit. . . Inebriated right now lol.

Disregard, for the most part it's pretty close to the set already submitted. I'll do Custom Range Blaster instead.

Last edited:

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
This isn't a bad idea for a thread, I'll grant you that. However, I feel like it's a bit out of touch with what people are actually using in Ranked and Squad battles. Now, granted, if you just limit yourself to what's popular, you're not going to have a list with many options (it would probably consist for the most part of stacking Damage Up, Swim Speed Up, or Run Speed Up on top of Cold Blooded, depending on the weapon), but I don't think it's right to just ignore them, either. (There has to be a reason that such things are popular, after all.)

Now, as for some of my own thoughts:

I strongly disagree with your recommendation of Ninja Squid on short-/mid-range shooters. The first reason for that is that Ninja Squid lowers your swim speed, which is the opposite of what you want on weapons like these. The second reason is that Ninja Squid is utterly useless if you get tagged by a tracking attack. (My third reason is that I just haven't seen Ninja Squid have that much of an effect, since you generally have to make educated guesses about the locations and movements of enemies anyway, but I acknowledge that that is just my personal experience.) Thus, instead of Ninja Squid, I would recommend Cold Blooded for stealth, since it doesn't penalize you in swim speed and it makes it so you don't have to waste nearly as much time hanging back whenever someone pops an Echolocator.

Regarding the .52 Gal, I don't think that exactly 1 main or 3 subs of Damage Up is an ideal amount. If you just want insurance against 1 main or so of Defense Up, you only need 1 or 2 subs of Damage Up to retain your 2HKO. If, on the other hand, you want insurance against 3 or more Defense Up (which is what most people who actually run Defense Up will be using), you'll need 1 main and 3 subs of Damage Up at the very least to retain the 2HKO (and possibly more). So, for instance, you might try a build that looks something like this:

Legendary Cap (no image):ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: (or as many subs of Damage Up as you can get)
Anchor Sweat:clothes_swt006::ability_coldblooded:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Red Hi-Tops:shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

As for the .96 Gal (either version), Ink Saver Main definitely makes sense, but lately, I've been seeing more and more Japanese players stack as much Defense Up as possible on it, while also reserving a main slot for either Ink Resistance or Cold Blooded. This also makes sense to me to an extent, since the .96 can 2HKO regardless of the enemy's defense and doesn't need Swim Speed Up as badly as the short-range weapons. It does, however, require a lot of re-rolling or save scumming to get the Defense Up subs needed.

Oh, and by the way, you seem to have a few typos in the weapon names, such as "Nozzelnose" (should be "Nozzlenose"), "Splattling" (should be "Splatling"), and "Zinc" (should be "Zink"). Just a heads up.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Mini Splatling Set I

:head_vis000: :ability_runspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:clothes_tel006: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_lts000::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

One day I thought "hey if tentatek can make us of this set so can this right?"
ehh... kinda because its not a shooter weapon! But hey this is the work of a mini sentry... with this you can keep the pressure with your fast charge speed and nimble abilities on both land and ink! Please be courteous of the ink consumption... due to suction bombs...

Alts:
:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
If you find yourself in enemy ink often

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
This isn't a bad idea for a thread, I'll grant you that. However, I feel like it's a bit out of touch with what people are actually using in Ranked and Squad battles. Now, granted, if you just limit yourself to what's popular, you're not going to have a list with many options (it would probably consist for the most part of stacking Damage Up, Swim Speed Up, or Run Speed Up on top of Cold Blooded, depending on the weapon), but I don't think it's right to just ignore them, either. (There has to be a reason that such things are popular, after all.)
Well, there are a couple of responses to this I suppose. 1) It doesn't HAVE to be "in touch" with ranked/squad, although that is not a bad thing. I've gotten to A+, but I prefer Turf War, so most of the builds I make are good for Turf War. 2) I'm really hoping that members of the community will help shore up any weaknesses in the list and add variety.

I strongly disagree with your recommendation of Ninja Squid on short-/mid-range shooters. The first reason for that is that Ninja Squid lowers your swim speed, which is the opposite of what you want on weapons like these. The second reason is that Ninja Squid is utterly useless if you get tagged by a tracking attack. (My third reason is that I just haven't seen Ninja Squid have that much of an effect, since you generally have to make educated guesses about the locations and movements of enemies anyway, but I acknowledge that that is just my personal experience.) Thus, instead of Ninja Squid, I would recommend Cold Blooded for stealth, since it doesn't penalize you in swim speed and it makes it so you don't have to waste nearly as much time hanging back whenever someone pops an Echolocator.
You'll notice that I've only included ninja squid on three weapons: Aerospray MG and RG and as an alternate set to the Tentatek. All of them stack swim speed to counter the speed nerf. Obviously, everyone's own experiences color the way they approach abilities. I've had very good success with ninja squid as people do tend to fire at the last place they saw you unless they see you swim away and this allows you to easily reposition and flank. I like cold-blooded, but I think it is more of a niche ability. I've been in plenty of lobbies, ranked or otherwise, where the only person running echolocator was me. That said, I'm am absolutely not opposed to including cold-blooded builds (see Of Moose and Men's Hyrda Splatling).

Regarding the .52 Gal, I don't think that exactly 1 main or 3 subs of Damage Up is an ideal amount. If you just want insurance against 1 main or so of Defense Up, you only need 1 or 2 subs of Damage Up to retain your 2HKO. If, on the other hand, you want insurance against 3 or more Defense Up (which is what most people who actually run Defense Up will be using), you'll need 1 main and 3 subs of Damage Up at the very least to retain the 2HKO (and possibly more). So, for instance, you might try a build that looks something like this:

Legendary Cap (no image):ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: (or as many subs of Damage Up as you can get)
Anchor Sweat:clothes_swt006::ability_coldblooded:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Red Hi-Tops:shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
I will include your build with the .52. Getting that legendary cap though would be most difficult. I also struggled with what to do about how much damage up to include. For the sake of simplicity I just kept perfect rolls or one main. Maybe not the best solution, so I'll put a note explaining how things work on the .52 (I'll probably just quote you though).

Regarding the typos...yeah, there are WAY more than the ones you mentioned. Cringe-worthy. Thanks for pointing them out; if you see anymore please let me know and I'll fix them.

SewenNewes

Inkling
NNID
wikestar
I'm still refining and rerolling my Custom Jet Squelcher build so I'm not sure on the final build but I will say the most important part is to have exactly one damage up main and one damage up sub so you can get the 2hk with burst bomb direct hit and one shot. It only works on people with no defense up but most people either use no defense up or a ton and so the best return on investment is at one main and one sub. The next breaking point of note is at one main and three subs or two mains you can 2hk someone with one defense up main with one near miss burst bomb and one direct hit burst bomb.

After the proper Damage Up amount the rest is very play style dependant but there are certain abilities that are better than others. The best ability is Bomb Range Up. I honestly think you want at minimum one main of this and when rerolling gear I would take however many subs I could get. Next would be Ink Saver Main. The CJS is ink efficient in combat but between firefights when you're shoring up your turf control it leaves a lot to be desired. ISM vs Ink Recovery Up is mostly preference but I'd lean ISM. Finally Swim Speed Up is always great on everything but doubly so when you have Kraken. Ink Resistance is good because your kit makes escaping hard without it. Ideally I would learn to be more safe so I could use that valuable main gear ability elsewhere (another Bomb Range Up pls) but for now the Red Hi-Tops never come off.

For abilities you don't want I'd say Special Duration Up. The extra time in Kraken is too little for the cost. Kraken takes forever to charge so you're far better off with abilities that help when you're not in Kraken. Honestly anything is better than SDU except for Ink Saver Sub.

I'd also argue that Cold Blooded isn't worth it since you should be using proper spacing to stay safe instead of hiding. It obviously helps even when you're properly spacing but I just find it too expensive. It's also expensive in terms of rerolling if you want to use Ink Resistance Up because the hats with Damage Up main have poor brands.

All that said my ideal final build will be Blue Slip-Ons (Bomb Range Up main, 3 Swim Speed Ups), Navy Striped LS (Damage Up main, 3 Ink Saver Main subs), and Urchins Cap (Bomb Range Up main, 1 Damage Up, 2 wild cards)

I'll probably not be too greedy with the wild cards. I want either Bomb Range Up, Ink Saver Main, or Swim Speed Up but I'll settle for anything that isnt Damage Up, Ink Saver Sub, or Special Duration Up.

I'll also switch out the shoes for any Krak-On with 3 ssu depending on need.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Alright, so, the Custom Range blaster.

Paisley Bandanna :ability_inksaversub: + :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :head_cap006: :ability_swimspeed: + :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Squidstar Waistcoat :ability_coldblooded: + :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or Krak-On 528 :ability_runspeed: + :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :clothes_tes008: :ability_inksavermain: + :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance: + :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :shoes_cfs001: :ability_damage: + :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :shoes_lts000: :ability_swimspeed: + :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

One thing is for sure, the Custom Range blaster most certainly wants swim speed up. It helps in both getting away quickly, something a slow shooting blaster really, as well as making the Kraken near impossible to get away from. Swim speed up is arguably one of the best abilities in the game, simply because of its utility, on this weapon, it is no different. Ink efficiency is always a great idea for ink Guzzling weapons. Ink saver Sub makes Splat Bombs take a little less ink than usual, which is about half a shots worth of ink, which can come in handy every so often. The real trouble in Headgear is, there isn't much else to choose from, and Ink Saver Sub I feel is the best of the 6 possibilities. The clothes are simply up to personal preference. Cold blooded I will always endorse, it's one of the best abilities in the game, making you undetectable for 7 of the 10 seconds possible. However, run speed up can come in handy when in tough situations. Ink Saver main allows for a little more ink efficiency which can be helpful. The shoes, much like the clothes are up to personal preference. Like Cold Blooded, I will always suggest Ink Resistance up for its ability to save you if and when you are in enemy ink. Though, it is not a requirement. Damage up I do not feel is necessary on this blaster for its high damage caps, it will always be a 1-2 hit splat regardless of how much damage up or defense up is carried. Much like with the clothes Run speed up can be helpful in sticky situations.

Other Options:
:ability_quickrespawn:
:ability_ninjasquid:
:ability_comeback:
These are all options that can be ran, but I feel would take away from the amount of utility Swim Speed gives. However, they can be beneficial nonetheless.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
@SewenNewes
I definitely have a different opinion when it comes to the CJS, but that is the beauty of it (and I'm going to be testing that one extra damage sub). Can you refine your description a bit so I can include it? I'd cut it down myself but I want to make sure I am true to what you are saying.

I'll probably use this as the gear set:
:head_cap000: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_unknown::ability_unknown:
:clothes_tel003: :ability_damage:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_slp000: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

@Of Moose & Men
Thanks so much for the input. I've included it in the blasters now. If you have anything else for the blasters I'd appreciate it.

@Everyone else, I definitely need some help with the blasters and buckets section. I play the RBD and Sloshing Machine a lot, but I'm pretty ignorant of everything else.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I've only really dabbled with Custom Range Blaster and the Rapid Blaster Pro. I'll be sure to give you a Rapid Blaster Pro Deco set when it comes out and I get one. Most certainly isn't the easiest set to build because of its wonky Damage up requirement.

EDIT: This is what I'm leaning towards by the way.

Not gonna be an easy weapon to build for. Legendary cap it is.

Last edited:

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Inkcoming Mini Splatling Set II (apparently the set I have is different...)

:head_eye000: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:clothes_tes001: :ability_runspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: or :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_bot000: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Quick Respawn works on anything even a splatling... Trust me I'm a professional... >w>
Same from the sanic set but replace swim speed with Quick Respawn (sadly there aren't enough Run Speed Main hats)
Again be considerate of the ink consumption

Zink Mini Set I

:head_eye006: :ability_specialduration:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: hard (or :head_met003::ability_runspeed:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:) easier
:clothes_plo001: :ability_runspeed:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Moar Sanic Speed
Moar Chances to bubble due to its really good inking capabilities and more...
theres nothing else really
just be considerate of the ink consumption

Alt:
:clothes_tel002: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
Black Inky Rider :ability_bombrange:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

For disruptor abuse

SewenNewes

Inkling
NNID
wikestar
I'll probably use this as the gear set:
:head_cap000: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_unknown::ability_unknown:
:clothes_tel003: :ability_damage:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_slp000: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
That's exactly what I meant. For a refined description:

This set seeks to focus on the CJS's defensive capabilities by stacking Bomb Range Up to bring the range of your Burst Bombs past that of most shooters while also using Damage Up to hit certain key 2hk. On an opponent with no defense this set gets you a 2hk with one direct hit from Burst Bomb and either one Jet Squelcher shot or one near miss Burst Bomb. This combination allows you to hold key points very effectively since non-chargers usually can't approach without using a special or a team effort. The CJS is fairly ink efficient in firefights compared to similar shooters but Ink Saver Main helps shore up turf coverage between the battles. Swim Speed Up is for moving between key defensive points quickly as well as making Kraken more effective. For the remaining two subs it comes down mostly to preference but aim for Bomb Range Up, Swim Speed Up, Ink Saver Main, or Special Charge Up.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Custom Splattershot Jr (Support Set)

Well, this thing gets a bad rap, but it's not bad, harder to use than the vanilla, though

Pilot Goggles: Bomb Range Up + Special Duration Up x3

Orange Cardigan: Special Charge Up + Ink Saver Main x3

Hunter Hi-Tops: Ink Recovery Up + Swim Speed Up x3

This set is all about inking turf to get your Echolocator up and keep it up. SDU x3 means the Echolocator will last an extra second and a half, not a big jump but helpful nonetheless. One SCU main means you fill up an Echolocator with 168.2pts instead of 200, which is a big difference, especially since ISM + IRU means you can cover more turf and rack up those points much more easily if you get splatted. BRU means you can keep at a safer distance when tagging enemies with Disruptors for your friends to finish off. SSU is for flanking and escaping, since you don't have the range to go toe-to-toe with a lot of popular weapons. This set works best in Turf and in Splat Zones, I think, the latter due to the ability to cover the zone quickly while also being able to stay on the sidelines and support your killers.

And as a side note, I also use this set for the Splat Roller, Tri-Slosher, and Tentatek/Octoshot. I'll post how those weapons change this set's role later.

Dawn Wall

so many dynamos || soɯɐuʎp ʎuɐɯ os
NNID
246_Tritone
hey, have a few dynamo roller sets.

---

the standard set:

works best with: :wst_roller_heavy00::wst_roller_heavy01:

:head_first::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:clothes_swt006::ability_coldblooded:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

this set contains all of the abilities that make the dynamo more effective in zoning and pressuring your opponents. the white headband and strapping reds alleviate the dynamo's ink consumption problem by increasing the dynamo's ink efficiency and decreasing the amount of time spent in the ink. cold blooded gives the dynamo some measure of stealth, which is always helpful. the damage ups increase the dynamo's effective lethal range, letting its user splat targets from a safer distance. it also has the benefit of making the sprinkler stronger :]. ink resistance up preserves mobility and makes it safer to move around in general. of course, if you don't want to use ink resistance up, shoes like the mawcasins, orange arrows, or power boot replicas can work in its place. also, for a more aggressive spin, you can replace the strapping reds with the red hi-tops, which give the dynamo more swim speed.

the sets listed here do exactly the same thing as the standard set above, but they look better. however, the headpiece is difficult to get without getting lucky.

:head_amb001::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: OR :head_hbd002::ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: OR
:ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:clothes_plo003::ability_coldblooded:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: OR :clothes_tes003::ability_coldblooded:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_sht002::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: OR
:ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

---

special-focused aggression:

works best with: :wst_roller_heavy01:

:head_eye007::ability_specialcharge:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:clothes_tly008::ability_specialsaver:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_slo004::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:

this is a fun set that works well for the more aggressive gold dynamo player. all of the special charge ups present reduce the number of points needed to get an inkstrike from 180 to 149 points, and given how quickly the dynamo spreads ink, it often is easy to get those 149 points in the first 30 seconds of the match. the special savers ensure that 76% of the charge i build up is kept after getting splatted, making it easier to get more inkstrikes off. swim speed up is helpful for moving around, hence the usage of the orange lo-tops, but the octoling boots or red sea slugs can be used if ink recovery up or a different set of abilities is desired.

do note that the headpiece is difficult to obtain.

---

tower control cheese:

works best with: :wst_roller_heavy00:

:head_cap009::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_quickrespawn:
:clothes_first::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: OR :clothes_tel000::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:shoes_shi002::ability_stealthjump:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: OR
:ability_stealthjump:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_quickrespawn:

if you know the standard quick respawn + stealth jump cheese on tower control mode, then you should know how this works. if not, here's a quick rundown: the quick respawns ensure that less time is spent in the respawn phase while stealth jump hides your jump marker, allowing you to land on the tower with a reduced risk of people noticing. special savers are helpful for retaining a charge (you're going to be splatted a ton, so this is always helpful), ink recovery ups ensure that you spend more time attacking, and damage ups extend the dynamo's effective lethal range.

alternatively, if you get extremely lucky, you can add on a shirt with extra quick respawn subs to make the respawning process even faster.

---

i hope this helps. have a nice day!

Last edited:

wuil

Inkling
NNID
LowKey123
on mobile.
my current .52 set is
white headband (ink rec.) with x3 dmg ups
anchor sweat (cold blooded) with x3 dmg ups
red hi-tops (ink res.) with x3 swim speed ups

ink recovery is for after i use a splash wall and need the ink to help me out in a fight. cold blooded is a given, counter to echo, point sensor and haunt. dmg ups counter x2 defense up mains, but not x3. ink res. is for if I get caught in ink, amd swim speeds help my movement.

splattershot set has the same hat and shirt as my .52 set because of the burst bombs for damage ups, but with the strapping reds (ink res.) with x2 bomb range ups and x1 ink saver main for extra range on my bombs.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Thanks everyone. It might take me a bit to update as I'm at work. Keep the builds coming.

Also, consider linking people here if they ask for build advice (in addition to whatever advice you give them, remember, this isn't the end-all-be-all).

@Of Moose & Men
Fixed. Thanks!

tazz

Inkster Jr.
For both custom blaster and krak on roller, I like using a set of two stipe mesh (special saver main, krak-on), anchor sweat ( cold-blooded, squid force), and cream basics (special saver main, krak-on), which is very effective at getting special. Black arrowbands (tenacity, zekko) is also an option.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
So, I finished the blasters and sloshers. If you main one of those (or at least play it a lot) please take a look at them and give some feedback. I still need builds for the H-3 Nozzlenoses and the Rapid Blaster Pro.

I will be working on the brushes and rollers now, so if you've submitted a build, thanks for your patience.

Thanks everyone!

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So, I finished the blasters and sloshers. If you main one of those (or at least play it a lot) please take a look at them and give some feedback. I still need builds for the H-3 Nozzlenoses and the Rapid Blaster Pro.

I will be working on the brushes and rollers now, so if you've submitted a build, thanks for your patience.

Thanks everyone!
I'm working on the Rapid Blaster Pro, however, it will likely end up being suited for the Deco as I feel it is the superior of the two. The Vanilla would likely enjoy swim speed up, other than that, I really don't know, likely ink recovery up and Ink saver sub. I'll dabble a bit and come back and report my findings and see what everyone thinks.

I'm getting a set going for the deco though, so as soon as that weapon is officially released expect a pretty in depth loadout. I think I've got something good with that one. Shame it caps at 99.9. RIP Rapid blasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom