• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The "What do I use with this weapon?" Build Compendium

Leanny

Senior Squid
NNID
Leanny
Stuff I use:
This one is pretty straight forward. 1 main + 3 subs = ~50% of the boost you can get from the ability, that's why I use them. For easier gear you can use Squid-Stich Tee + Backwards Cap, that should also work.

I'm looking for a head right now with Swimspeed + 3dmg+, but this is doing good so far. 3dmg+ for maximum damage, so you can nearly 3hit KO everything that is in ink. You can also use the natural roll of the headgear with Basic tee for the same effect.

Another ont so easy to obtain set. You can also use White Headband and Red Hi-Tops if you need speed. You can also use Retro Specs + Part Time Pirate + LE Soccer Cleats for nearly the same effect.

Since I don't own the Football Headband yet, I use this headgear. I play this weapon somehow like an Charger and it goes pretty good. When people are dying you can fill your Special Bar with tenacity. For the shirt I would also prefer all ink recovery. 1 damage+ main is enough, to make this weapon a 4-7 hit KO weapon (instead of 4-8 hits, depending on where you hit them). I use so much Ink Recover because I hid in ink most of the time after I killed someone or got the zone or stuff like that.

Last edited:

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
All three of those "not-so-easy-to-obtain" sets could be formed with nearly identical amounts of each ability using a number of much more sane gear combinations. (For instance, Bike Helmet, Camo Layered LS, and Strapping Reds for that third one.) Try to look for the easiest way(s) of getting a certain combination of abilities when suggesting gear sets.

Leanny

Senior Squid
NNID
Leanny
All three of those "not-so-easy-to-obtain" sets could be formed with nearly identical amounts of each ability using a number of much more sane gear combinations. (For instance, Bike Helmet, Camo Layered LS, and Strapping Reds for that third one.) Try to look for the easiest way(s) of getting a certain combination of abilities when suggesting gear sets.
Added alterntaives, thank you.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I've pretty much perfected my gear loadouts after rolling a bunch of my stuff with my 91 snails; I only have 9 left. Here are my (almost) final sets and how they benefit the weapons I use:

:wst_roller_compact00:Carbon Roller Set:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

White Headband :head_first:: :ability_inkrecovery:| :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Armor Jacket (No Picture Available): :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Crazy Arrows :shoes_sht008:: :ability_stealthjump:| :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

This is my ultimate loadout for a balance of offensive, close-range combat and assassinative, sneaky flanking. Since Inkzooka takes a lot of points to charge it, I use 1 main and 3 subs of Special Charge Up to help negate that. Swim Speed Up allows me to have greater mobility in the ink and to get where I need to go faster. Ink Refill Up allows me to recover quickly and keep claiming territory and/or pushing forward without as much delay. Damage Up is great for Burst Bomb utilazation and for using the outer edges of the swing to kill someone. Stealth Jump is great for sneakiness as it allows for me to land anywhere in the fray and not having to worry about being spawn camped. In fact, enemies in the area often are surprised by my appearance and I proceed to splat them instantly. Note that the 3X Swim Speed Ups on the Armor Jacket is EXTREMELY hard to obtain; I got it from pure luck in level ups and I don't know how I did it. The same can be said for those Crazy Arrows, but those are easier to obtain since Special Charge Up is Takoroka's strong ability.

:wst_charge_long00: E-Liter 3K Set:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Squash Headband :head_hbd002:: :ability_damage:| :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_inksavermain:
Varsity Jacket :clothes_jkt003:: :ability_damage:| :ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_inksavermain:
Cyan Trainers :shoes_sht004:: :ability_damage:| :ability_inkrecovery::ability_damage::ability_inkrecovery:

This set allows me to get as many snipes as I can as quickly as possible. Damage Up, of course, minimizes the amount of charge time it takes for me to splat a person, and it also increases the damage output of Burst Bombs as well. Ink Refill Up helps me get back ink faster when I've used up all my snipes per ink tank and Ink Saver Main allows for more forgiveness where that is concerned. Special Saver allows me to quickly charge Echolocator after getting splatted to pinpoint my snipes as soon as possible, and Quick Super Jump allows me to get back into position in a very fast manner.

(continued below)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
:wst_shot_explight01: Rapid Blaster Deco Set:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pilot Goggles :head_eye002:: :ability_bombrange:| :ability_bombrange::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
Pirate-Striped Tee :clothes_tes018:: :ability_specialduration:| :ability_specialduration::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Cherry Kicks :shoes_lts001:: :ability_stealthjump:| :ability_runspeed::ability_damage::ability_runspeed:

This set mainly focuses on improving the capabilities of the sub and special weapons, because personally I am very well-versed in the main weapon (and that may come as a surprise to some). Bomb Range Up improves the range of Suction Bombs, both as a sub and as in the Suction Bomb Rush special, which make it both a great ranged and close-range option. Special Duration Up allows Suction Bomb Rush to last for longer, which is good because the bombs come out and explode rather slowly and it's one of the shorter Bomb Rushes (I think Seeker Rush might last shorter, but I'm not sure). Ink Saver Main allows me mostly to shoot more blasts in order to have enough ink to use my sub, but the Rapid Blaster itself isn't the most ink-efficient of weapons, so it helps there as well. Stealth Jump helps me to get back into the fray unnoticed, which especially helps when I play this weapon offensively (depends on map and mode). Run Speed Up helps mitigate any issues with longer-ranged weapons, like Squelchers, .96 Gals., any Charger, etc. (I think the Squiffers are longer ranged than the Rapid Blasters, but correct me if I'm wrong). That little Damage Up sub really doesn't have any use for me, since I've already made myself develop such good aim with the weapon that it doesn't help all that much, but for those who haven't forced themselves into that tough learning curve, that could help I suppose (that one Damage Up sub is why I said almost perfect, because once I have enough snails again I want to get :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: on it; I spent like 50 snails trying to get a good roll on those Pilot Goggles).

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So, now that the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco is out I've been working on loadouts that I feel work, I've found it! And it is absolutely nothing like I initially intended. I call it, Wail Bot. :]

Sun Visor :ability_bombrange: + :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: or :head_eye007: :ability_specialcharge: + :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: or Soccer Headband :ability_tenacity: + :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_tly008: :ability_specialsaver: + :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge: or :clothes_tel002: :ability_bombrange: + :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_slo006: :ability_specialcharge: + :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

I'm sure it's pretty clear what the objective is here. I feel this weapon is amazing at zoning, and I do mean Amazing. The combination of its range, Fire rate, disruptors, and Killer Wail is proof of such. Constantly filling up the Special meter is the main goal, and this set I feel really plays into it. Ink Recovery Up is an awesome ability regardless of what weapon you are using it for. Bomb Range up allows for the Disruptor to be thrown far enough to be able to hit them at the max Range of your shots. Tenacity can be ran with any combination of these gear sets as long as you are aware of the loss you take in bomb range up or Charge Up. Tenacity fills up your special meter anytime your team mates go down, so it goes without saying why that can be beneficial. Special Saver makes being splatted a little less painful as you maintain 65% of your special you've acquired. Last but not least is Swim Speed Up. Which is used simply for taking advantage of the straight line the Rapid Blaster Pro shoots and swimming away if and when things get too dicey. Everything here plays into the fact the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco is very much an offensive supportive weapon because of its insane ability to zone and keep the enemy away for as long as you need and can.

I would have suggested this gear set, but considering it consisted of two shinies, I decided not to. Works pretty damn well though. Got lucky on Christmas day, who'd have guessed. I actually got another shiny on my contacts lol.

Leanny

Senior Squid
NNID
Leanny

I would have suggested this gear set, but considering it consisted of two shinies, I decided not to. Works pretty damn well though. Got lucky on Christmas day, who'd have guessed. I actually got another shiny on my contacts lol.
You can use Choco Layered LS + Pink Trainers + Black Arrowed Band as alternative :D This set is mostly identical to yours.

tazz

Inkster Jr.
For .96 gal deco
Lightweight cap :ability_swimspeed:+:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Retro Sweat :ability_defenseup:+:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Squid Stitch Slip Ons :ability_defenseup:+:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

For a similar 52 gal build, use bubble rain boots :ability_damage:+:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup: over the slip Ons

Defense up builds are really underrated lol

On your custom e liter, duration up isn't really worth it. Just run white headband. Special charge up is preferred over duration on the custom e liter (and in general, honestly).

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
On your custom e liter, duration up isn't really worth it. Just run white headband. Special charge up is preferred over duration on the custom e liter (and in general, honestly).
You mean Defense Up, right? Because Special Duration Up is almost required on Custom E-Liter 3K.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
You can use Choco Layered LS + Pink Trainers + Black Arrowed Band as alternative :D This set is mostly identical to yours.
NO! xD
And here I thought I had something special.

I actually decided to go with the second set up I posted, but now that I'm trying for that bobble hat you let me get, I will likely have :head_ncp003: + :clothes_tel002: + :shoes_sht005:.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
tbh on the squiffers i generally prefer more walk speed to anything else (i even ditched ink res a while back for some shoes that purely boost run and walk speed and have been doing just great) -- but these are good starting builds for new players.

i do virtually the same set on my mk II bamboozler as i do on my squiffers, to mixed results... are damage up really that useful on the bamboozler? you're not gonna get OHKOs regardless and it doesn't take much more at all to get the kill with or without damage ups. but then again, walk speed doesn't seem to benefit this weapon as much as for the squiffers, so i don't honestly know. it just feels like a waste whenever i see bamboozlers with 500 damage ups online (seriously, might as well play the default e-liter or another full charger)

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
tbh on the squiffers i generally prefer more walk speed to anything else (i even ditched ink res a while back for some shoes that purely boost run and walk speed and have been doing just great) -- but these are good starting builds for new players.

i do virtually the same set on my mk II bamboozler as i do on my squiffers, to mixed results... are damage up really that useful on the bamboozler? you're not gonna get OHKOs regardless and it doesn't take much more at all to get the kill with or without damage ups. but then again, walk speed doesn't seem to benefit this weapon as much as for the squiffers, so i don't honestly know. it just feels like a waste whenever i see bamboozlers with 500 damage ups online (seriously, might as well play the default e-liter or another full charger)
Do you have a build you usually use for the squiffer? How much run speed do you use? I'd be happy to include it.

IIRC, some damage ups on the Bamboozler brings it from a 4-hit splat to a 3-hit splat on uncharged shots. I'll test later today if I can.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
:wst_shot_normal01:
Hero Headset Replica:head_msn000::ability_runspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage:
Rockenberg Black:clothes_tes005: :ability_damage:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:/ Layered Anchor LS :clothes_tly005::ability_runspeed:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Oyster Clogs:shoes_sdl000: :ability_runspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:/ White Kicks:shoes_lts000::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Eschew all subtlety. This build is designed for a strategy I use, which is to rush mid and hold the line for the rest of the game, or as long as possible, while still having strong capabilities for rapid pushes when the time comes. Swim speed is preferable to quick respawn because they have similar payoffs in returning to action, but not in mobility. I've forsaken choices such as ink savers because I don't think you'll have much trouble with ink management when you're working with team members or holding a fortified position. Similarly, special charge isn't necessary because you'll often be holding a full charge and waiting for a chance to use it on entrenched enemies in a push, or during tactical retreat from the hot spot. Similarly, the occasional extra kill from special duration will not usually be worth a slot. You'll be moving so fast that you don't need ink resistance where you're going. There is no need for cold-blooded because you'll either be staying in the same fortified, advantageous area, or pushing together with your team.

For extra fanciness, you have the choice of four (4) (!) possible outfits.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Do you have a build you usually use for the squiffer? How much run speed do you use? I'd be happy to include it.

IIRC, some damage ups on the Bamboozler brings it from a 4-hit splat to a 3-hit splat on uncharged shots. I'll test later today if I can.
unfortunately i don't have a clean build -- i was hoping another user could back mine up with theirs XD, but it's not really a big deal since it's just a personal preference.

generally i have a walk speed main and three walk speed subs which allow me to maintain range against closer targets and also to help even the playing ground between me and longer-ranged snipers.

-------

i'll try out a damage-boosted bamboozler out in a week or so when i'm back home with my wii u and splatoon ;^;

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Splat Roller

Noise Cancelers :head_hdp002:: (Pure Roll not natural)
:ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:

Green Check Shirt :clothes_shirt002::
:ability_bombrange:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:

Choco Clogs :shoes_sdl001::
:ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

This is basically a Quick Respawn set for the vanilla roller...
Make use of the bomb range up for the suction bombs
Special Saver since you will be dying a lot and to have your special sooner

Alternate Gear:
Backwards Cap :head_cap009::
:ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
A better alternative next to the Noise Cancellers.
Squid-Stitch Tee:clothes_tes017::
:ability_swimspeed:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
If bomb range doesn't suit you then go for this you'll have more swim speed and quick respawn subs over it

Octo Tee :
:ability_haunt:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn: or :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
If you want a haunt set...

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Stuff I use:
This one is pretty straight forward. 1 main + 3 subs = ~50% of the boost you can get from the ability, that's why I use them. For easier gear you can use Squid-Stich Tee + Backwards Cap, that should also work.

I'm looking for a head right now with Swimspeed + 3dmg+, but this is doing good so far. 3dmg+ for maximum damage, so you can nearly 3hit KO everything that is in ink. You can also use the natural roll of the headgear with Basic tee for the same effect.

Another ont so easy to obtain set. You can also use White Headband and Red Hi-Tops if you need speed. You can also use Retro Specs + Part Time Pirate + LE Soccer Cleats for nearly the same effect.

Since I don't own the Football Headband yet, I use this headgear. I play this weapon somehow like an Charger and it goes pretty good. When people are dying you can fill your Special Bar with tenacity. For the shirt I would also prefer all ink recovery. 1 damage+ main is enough, to make this weapon a 4-7 hit KO weapon (instead of 4-8 hits, depending on where you hit them). I use so much Ink Recover because I hid in ink most of the time after I killed someone or got the zone or stuff like that.
This is all good stuff. Unfortunately most of these are difficult to acquire (props to your rolling skills!). Do you think you could put the easier to acquire sets into the format of the thread?

Item Ability| Ability Ability Ability

Also, can you include some description for the builds? Thanks for the input!

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Heres my octobrush nouveau set (I apologize but idk where/how y'all use the gear icons)

The set kind of speaks for itself. Death doesn't hamper me much so I'm free to toss splat bombs forcing people to move, sneak in close and kill if I can, kill the ranged foes once I get inkzooka charged up.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
@SkyBlue
The smiley icon in the response box has tabs for the gear and abilities. Not all gear has icons though.

I like your build (respawn with comeback and special saver, excellent), but the white striped LS is not a natural roll. Would you mind if I went with squid nordic and the squid satin jacket? It gives the same stats, just on natural gear. I actually really like this setup and I'm really tempted to prioritize this for my next rerolls...

So, your build would ultimately look like this:
Squid Nordic (no pic) :ability_comeback:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Squid Satin Jacket (no pic) :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

EDIT: I also still need builds for the H-3s and the Ink Brushes. Thanks for the input so far!

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
@SkyBlue
The smiley icon in the response box has tabs for the gear and abilities. Not all gear has icons though.

I like your build (respawn with comeback and special saver, excellent), but the white striped LS is not a natural roll. Would you mind if I went with squid nordic and the squid satin jacket? It gives the same stats, just on natural gear. I actually really like this setup and I'm really tempted to prioritize this for my next rerolls...

So, your build would ultimately look like this:
Squid Nordic (no pic) :ability_comeback:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Squid Satin Jacket (no pic) :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

EDIT: I also still need builds for the H-3s and the Ink Brushes. Thanks for the input so far!
ooooooooh ty! now I know how to do those from now on.

and that works too >.< the shirt I got lucky on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom