• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The "What do I use with this weapon?" Build Compendium

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
@Tim H. I'd like to make an update to my Hydra gear set. It's a simple one so it shouldn't need any huge changes, I'll leave it in a spoiler so that you can just copy/paste it.

Got one for the Hydra people may enjoy.

:head_hat001: :ability_inksavermain: + :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:clothes_tes003::ability_coldblooded: + :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
(Strapping Reds) :ability_inkresistance: + :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: or (Mawcasins) :ability_inkrecovery: + :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: or (strapping Whites) :ability_inksaversub: + :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

It is almost a requirement to have ink saver main. The Hydra eats up ink, like no other weapon. With Ink saver main, you can alleviate that. With two sets of Ink Saver, it adds another fully charged shot, and two half charged shots after throwing a splat bomb. With the Jungle Hat, you are capable of saving a bit of ink on both your Main and Sub weapon, once again allowing for more shots, even after throwing a Splat Bomb. Comes in handy VERY often. Cold Blooded I also feel is necessary as Hydra is more often than not really trying to stay up high, and hidden, much like a charger. The shoes are a bit of a toss up, Ink Resistance Up can be very beneficial, as it could help in getting you out of enemy ink far faster than non Ink Resistance Up shoes. Which, as a splatling, can be very helpful. However, it is not necessary, and because of that Mawcasins can be chosen over the Strapping reds. Ink recovery up can definitely help in recovering Ink since it does take as much ink as it does. Strapping Whites can aid in taking a bit less ink to throw Splat Bombs, which means more charges afterwards. Regardless, Ink saver main is nearly a requirement, and I STRONGLY advise carrying it if you ever intend on becoming a Hydra main.

Also, you can go ahead and remove the second set I posted for the Hydra, it's WAY too hard to get, and I've decided to give up on it lol.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
@Of Moose & Men
Done and done.
Do you have a specific build for the eliter or just use the standard cold-blooded set/dmg up?

@SkyBlue
So, I checked my own gear to see if I was close to your Comeback build and I already had:
Squid Nordic :ability_comeback:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_inksaversub:
Satin Jacket :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_quickrespawn:
Red Hi-Tops :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

I was pretty excited. SO CLOSE. Probably not going to reroll it until some of my other builds are taken care of as it works almost perfect already.

@Everyone
Do you think I need a section for "general builds"? Like, standard Sonic, Quick Respawn, Stealth Jump, Sniper, Cold-Blooded, etc.? Or are these adequately covered under the weapons they are mostly used under?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
@Of Moose & Men
Done and done.
Do you have a specific build for the eliter or just use the standard cold-blooded set/dmg up?
lol, yea, I just use StandardEliter.Jpeg. I've been trying to test the waters, but that loadout is just so good :cool:.

Do you think I need a section for "general builds"? Like, standard Sonic, Quick Respawn, Stealth Jump, Sniper, Cold-Blooded, etc.? Or are these adequately covered under the weapons they are mostly used under?
As far as this goes, I think it'd be a pretty grand idea to put those general builds in their own section just to have a quick grab and go that can work for most weapons. If you do, maybe it'd be a good idea to have a link in the OP to each weapons section.

Last edited:

Zolda

Full Squid
I've got one for the regular Slosher:

:head_cap000::ability_bombrange:I:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:clothes_tly003::ability_inksavermain:l:ability_damage::ability_unknown::ability_unknown:
:shoes_cfs001::ability_damage:I:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

This build is primarily based on maximizing the power of the 1-slosh/1 near-hit burst bomb combo. With one Damage Up main and one sub, you can get a kill from a near-hit burst bomb and a Slosher hit. This makes the Slosher much more effective at killing since it's quicker than trying to hit with 2 sloshes, and the burst bomb doesn't even have to be a direct it. With Bomb Range Up utilized as well, this is quite a deadly combo in the right hands.

One nice thing about this build is that you only need one Damage Up sub, which is quite easy to get with the Black Layered LS since it's favored, but you don't have to worry about tripling it and can have whatever you want for the other two sub slots. You can also swap out the hat for the Sun Visor, which trades the Quick Respawn subs for Ink Recovery subs if you'd rather have more ink efficiency. Personally though I prefer the Quick Respawn since death is more common in ranked and in the event of a trade, you still come out with a slight advantage.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
As far as this goes, I think it'd be a pretty grand idea to put those general builds in their own section just to have a quick grab and go that can work for most weapons. If you do, maybe it'd be a good idea to have a link in the OP to each weapons section.
Ok. I'm going to have to start linking anyway because I have run out of room in the blaster/slosher post. I might be able to split them...I knew I should have added one more post for placeholders...

@Zolda
I'll add your build when I figure out the post situation.

EDIT: Alright, fixed it by switching sloshers to the splatling post. I'll work on a general loadout post, but I need a few idea. What exactly should be included?

tazz

Inkster Jr.
@Tim H. apparently my calculations were incorrect on the .96 gal, the damage up investment I recommended isn't needed.

Ideally, you could get a shirt with :ability_coldblooded:+:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:, but that's not likely without savescumming/luck. For a natural set, the following would work

Baby Jelly Shirt :ability_defenseup:+:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Forest Vest :ability_inkrecovery:+:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

Mountain Vest :ability_swimspeed:+:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

I apologize for the mistake

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
tbh on the squiffers i generally prefer more walk speed to anything else (i even ditched ink res a while back for some shoes that purely boost run and walk speed and have been doing just great) -- but these are good starting builds for new players.

i do virtually the same set on my mk II bamboozler as i do on my squiffers, to mixed results... are damage up really that useful on the bamboozler? you're not gonna get OHKOs regardless and it doesn't take much more at all to get the kill with or without damage ups. but then again, walk speed doesn't seem to benefit this weapon as much as for the squiffers, so i don't honestly know. it just feels like a waste whenever i see bamboozlers with 500 damage ups online (seriously, might as well play the default e-liter or another full charger)
So I tested the damage up yesterday and you need at least 1 main and 1 sub to go from 4 uncharged shots to splat to three. I'll update the bamboozlers to note this when I have more energy...

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
So you need loadout help for both H-3 Nozzlenoses, the Carbon Roller Deco, the Inkbrush Nouveau, and the Octobrush, eh? Well, I don't main any of these weapons, but I've experimented around with them and some abilities and I'll put up a suggestion loadout for each.

Octobrush:

Designer Headphones :head_hdp001:: :ability_inksaversub:| :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
Gray Vector Tee :clothes_tes014:: :ability_quicksuperjump:| :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
White Seahorses:shoes_slo003:: :ability_inkrecovery:| :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:

This setup is all about getting back into the fray to utilize the sub and special weapons as best as possible. Quick Super Jump is all about getting back in, well, quickly in order to pick off more adversaries. Ink Refill Up and Ink Saver Sub help mitigate the ink hunger of Squid Beakons in order to place them more efficiently. Special Charge Up helps with getting Kraken as quickly as possible, and Special Duration Up helps it last longer to get in more kills.

Inkbrush Nouveau:

Classic Straw Boater: :ability_specialduration:| :ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
Green Striped LS :clothes_tel009:: :ability_ninjasquid:| :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Zombie Hi-Horses:shoes_shi001:: :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:

This loadout has a big focus on the Bubbler, with the rest of it focusing on staying alive as best as possible for some quick and stealthy flanks. Special Saver and Special Charge Up help get the Bubbler quicker, and Special Duration Up helps it last for longer. Quick Super Jump helps this weapon get back in the fray quickly, which is good because this is the definition of a pushy weapon. Defense Up is great for keeping alive in 1v1s while rushing the adversary down. Lastly, Ninja Squid keeps one hidden while flanking from the other side (this should be done more often than pushdowns, but one should be prepared for both). If you want to mitigate the ink taken from placing an Inkmine, use the Herbivore Tee: :ability_ninjasquid:| :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:

Carbon Roller Deco:

Camo Mesh:head_cap006:: :ability_swimspeed:| :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Forge Octarian Jacket: :ability_haunt:| :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
Blueberry Casuals:shoes_cfs000:: :ability_inksaversub:| :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

First things first about this weapon: You want to mitigate the ink eaten by Seekers. Honestly, if you mess up your usage of one and you're in enemy sights, especially if the enemy is question has a weapon with more range (which is very likely), then you want to have some ink saved for either escaping from or killing the person. Special Duration Up is great for Seeker Rush, since the Seekers come out pretty slowly and the special doesn't last too long on its own, so you want to have some extra time to throw another one or two. Also, since this weapon is all about tracking enemies on the front lines, Haunt is great team support and even self tracking in case an enemy gets the better of your offense and kills you. Lastly, for the main weapon itself, Swim Speed Up is amazing for rushing foes down, both in the trail of a Seeker or in already-lain-down ink.

H-3 Nozzlenose:

Urchins Cap:head_cap000:: :ability_bombrange:| :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Green Cardigan: :ability_recon:| :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Blue Sea Slugs:shoes_sht005:: :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

This weapon has a very complex but interesting playstyle: the hard-hitting assassin. As for the main weapon, it wants to be in the fray, but at a good distance to where it can pick of foes without them rushing it down. Since it uses up a lot of ink in doing so, however, Ink Refill Up and Ink Saver Main help it not be so onerous. Special Charge Up helps build the Echolocator and Recon keeps the enemies in check, because with this weapon, you want to track your adversaries down. Quick Respawn helps both support the Recon and getting the weapon back into the fray efficiently. Lastly, Bomb Range Up increases the range on the Suction Bomb if the main weapon isn't cutting it against a particular weapon.

H-3 Nozzlenose D:

Sun Visor: :ability_bombrange:| :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Camo Layered LS:clothes_tly002:: :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
White Arrows:shoes_sht003:: :ability_specialduration:| :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

Unlike the normal H-3 Nozzlenose, which has the Suction Bomb to support the main weapon, with this version you cannot afford to miss one shot. Hence, the Damage Up comes to help the weapon get kills and Ink Refill Up helps you recover more quickly from the weapon's ink-hungry nature. Bomb Range Up increases the range on the Point Sensor, which is very useful since this variant of the weapon is all about remaining in the back and getting precise kills from there. The rest of the loadout is all about the Inkzooka. 1 main and 3 subs of Special Charge Up is very helpful since this is one of the slowest weapons at charging the Inkzooka, which requires the most points out of any special in the game. And, since you want to get as many kills with this 1-shot tool as you can, Special Duration Up gives you some more time to do so.

Leanny

Senior Squid
NNID
Leanny
This is all good stuff. Unfortunately most of these are difficult to acquire (props to your rolling skills!). Do you think you could put the easier to acquire sets into the format of the thread?

Item Ability| Ability Ability Ability

Also, can you include some description for the builds? Thanks for the input!
Sure.

.52 Gal

:head_cap009::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver: or :head_met005::ability_specialsaver:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn: or :head_cap009::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn: (Hard to obtain)
:clothes_tes017::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn: or :clothes_msn::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: (Hard to obtain)
:shoes_sht002::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

Splatools gear file.

This set is a bit aggressive orientated. You get the 'optimal gear effect' (means ~50% of the maximum effect) by having 1 main and 3 subs. You try to minimize your respawn time while being able to swim directly back to the battle field. Swim speed is for extra mobility and ink recovery for refilling your tank faster. Ink resistance is for the case that you are surrounded by enemie ink. Thanks to ink saver, you keep around 65% of your special and can use a lot more killer wails.

Custom Jet Squelcher

:head_ncp003::ability_tenacity:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn: or :head_cap009::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn: (Hard to obtain)
:clothes_first::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: or :clothes_tly007::ability_damage:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_sht002::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: or :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Splatools gear file.

3 damage up subs are a must have, so you can deal max damage to anyone who does not wear any defense up. You try to stay behind and support your team, while constantly charging your special bar with ink and tencaity. After the Kraken you are quite vulnerable and might get splatted pretty fast or you are at the front line where you can most likely only defend with your burst bombs. In case you die you can get back to the field really quck thanks to Quick Respawn.

Sloshing Machine
:head_eye000::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: or :head_first::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:clothes_tly007::ability_damage:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: or :clothes_tes008::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
LE Soccer Cleats: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

Splatools gear file.

Special Charge Up for building Bomb Rush faster, Damage Up for extra bomb damage and 3 sub ink saver are enough to make 16 instead of 14 shots. I feel like it does not need speed, but that is only my opionion, you can also use the Rainy-Day Tee with the white Headband for more swim speed instead of quick recovery.

I'll add more sets soon~

tazz

Inkster Jr.
@Leanny that 52 gal doesn't have enough damage up. Any defense up will make it a 3 hit kill, instead of 2. You really need at least two, optimally 3 damage up mains on that set

@Tim H. all your 52 gal sets should have damage up for this reason

For neo Luna

Squid Nordic :ability_comeback:+:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Squid stitch tee :ability_swimspeed:+:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:

Cream hi tops :ability_stealthjump:+:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

A fun offensive Luna set with stealth jump

Last edited:

Leanny

Senior Squid
NNID
Leanny
You still need at least 3 subs or 1 main for it to turn into a 3 hit kill. This set is just a suggestion that worked for a long time for me and we have some with damage up here as well, so I thought about making one without any damage ups. (ActuallyI use a full damage up head gear instead of a full respawn headgear atm)

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
The problem with tailoring the .52 exclusively to damage up is that you either need 1 sub or at least 2 mains to be effective. People either run "none-to barely any defense" or "all defense all the time, 3+ mains." One damage sub counters 1 defense main, Any more and you need 2+ mains (or the equivalent). It is perfectly acceptable to run a build without damage ups in turf war (and even passable in ranked). Most of this is covered in the first build, but I can make it more explicit if you think that would help.

tazz

Inkster Jr.
You should definitely emphasize it; a 3 shot kill makes you much less powerful, as the 2 shot kill is a huge part of what makes the 52 a fantastic weapon. Not having that 2 shot gives yourself a big disadvantage.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Here's an update to my Zink Mini Splatling set:

Pretty much I switched out :shoes_sht007: for :shoes_bot003:mainly for the :ability_inkresistance: (sacrificed a bit of freshness for effectiveness).

I just find :ability_inkresistance: to be amazing for the Zink Mini (and Splatlings in general) since I can easily walk over enemy ink without stopping dead in my tracks all the time, which allows me to be either aggressive or get away in situations where I would normally not be able to without it.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Here's an update to my Zink Mini Splatling set:

Pretty much I switched out :shoes_sht007: for :shoes_bot003:mainly for the :ability_inkresistance: (sacrificed a bit of freshness for effectiveness).

I just find :ability_inkresistance: to be amazing for the Zink Mini (and Splatlings in general) since I can easily walk over enemy ink without stopping dead in my tracks all the time, which allows me to be either aggressive or get away in situations where I would normally not be able to without it.
I have that build under the vanilla mini. Probably because you were using it before the zink was released. Does it still work for the vanilla?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom