• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The worst map...EVER!!!

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
I suppose categorizing a list from best to worst would be the best way to go about this:

1. Mahi-Mahi Resort: I like the design, the water changing levels of depth midway through the match, and the simplicity of "don't fall in the water", plus the overall size of it is perfect for the resort aesthetic they were going for. Overall, a pretty map to look at and an enjoyable one to play.
2. Bluefin Depot: While being not the best map for Rainmaker because of the unavoidable grates leaving the Rainmaker open to be attacked, the overall massive size of this arena makes it a very enjoyable for Turf Wars, as well as a fun map for Splat Zone. The Sprinkler is a very rude sub to use here!
3. Piranha Pit: This was originally #1, but it lost points due to it being a terrible map for Splat Zones. The problem with it for Splat Zones is both zones are too close to spawn, so once a team finally gains controls of both points, they either don't lose it or they do and no other team can regain it. Poorly designed in that aspect. However, the small yet elaborate size of this map makes it a good map for really any weapon, and it's a fun romp with a Roller because of it's many conveyor belts and wide open spaces. Beware of the mighty Seeker!
4. Camp Triggerfish: This map looks very out of place compared to the others and that's a good thing! My problem with a lot of the maps in Splatoon is they all have the same dull grey appeal to them, so it's nice to see a change in scenery. It, like Mahi-Mahi Resort, also has a transformation to it, where in the final minute of a match, the floodgates open up creating a shorter path to the enemy base and allow access to more turf. It's an interested mechanic that definitely would of benefited more of these bland looking maps.
5. Urchin Underpass: The first map revealed for Splatoon, and a generally decent one. This is definitely the map for beginners to practice getting used to Splatoon with. Works all-around with every weapon class, the overall design is simple yet elaborate and this is probably the best map to play Splat Zone on, since the zone is dead center and there are numerous ways you can claim the turf without engaging in a ton of combat.
6. Walleye Warehouse: A relatively straight-forward map designed to work for most weapon types, Walleye Warehouse is about as simple as it gets. A rectangular arena with few branching pathways, it's the perfect map for Turf Wars, Splat Zones and Rainmaker. A nightmare to play Tower Control on however, since no one ever can get the thing to move past the middle, which this map loses points on, as well as lacking in visual appeal and having a very annoying uninkable ramp that has ruined many a Rainmaker run.
7. Flounder Heights: A large map with a lot of flanking points, hope you like a good Turf War fight my friends, because Flounder Heights delivers! Sloshers and snipers attack from above, while rollers, shooters and brushes battle below. This map is the definition of hectic, especially on a mode like Rainmaker or Tower Control. Honestly though, this is probably the worst map for Rainmaker, because once it gets on one end of the battlefield, it usually doesn't leave that end ever. A similar problem to Piranha Pit's Splat Zone actually. Best of luck out there new players, this map is a rude one!
8. Kelp Dome: Speaking of rude map design, Kelp Dome is a Slosher's and Brushes proving ground! A large map to say the least, Kelp Dome offers three methods of attack and I kinda hate all of them! You can attack from the ground floor, trying to ink the turf as you go, go above the battlefield and get the drop on your opponents or sneak out the back straight into enemy territory. No matter what way you look at it, death comes from above and below!
9. Arowana Mall: I WANT to like this map. I think it's a neat design and is fun to play Turf Wars on as a Slosher, but MAN IS THE TOWER CONTROL HERE RUDE!! Not only does it take place on a vertical plain, leaving you open to snipers and blasters alike, but it seems to constantly always be on the Tower Control map rotation and not much else.
10. Musuem d'Alfosino: I have the same problem with this stage as I did Arowana Mall. Reason it's lower is I don't care for its barely present gimmick of rotating platforms, nor do I care for the stage itself. It's OK for Splat Zones though if that holds any value to anybody.
11. Ancho-V Games: For being the last map added to Splatoon, it's sucks that it's so bland to play on. The gimmick here is the propeller platforms from Octo Valley, a gimmick which acted more as an annoyance than it was actually interesting. I mean, Splat Zones and Turf Wars are decent enough here, but on a mode like Rainmaker, this mechanic makes the stage suffer a bit. Overall though, I generally just don't like this map.
12. Saltspray Rig: Reason this is so low is because I don't like how about 30% of the total map coverage is the top area. It almost makes focusing on the remainder of the map pointless to ink and turn a game of ink the most turf to win into get here before the other team or your screwed!
13. Port Mackerel: If Kelp Dome is a haven for Sloshers and Brushes, then Port Mackerel is where the Seekers shines overall. Your gonna see a lot of Carbon Roller Deco players here. This isn't why this stage is so low on the list though. It's size is laughable. Definitely one of the worst maps overall for turf coverage and Turf Wars, not to mention home to many close up battles in narrow corridors. Rainmaker is a nightmare here!
14. Blackbelly Skatepark: DO NOT USE ROLLERS ON THIS MAP!!! It's design as a skatepark means that will not work if you are a roller main. Honestly, this map was designed to be difficult to traverse in map alone. That alone puts it low on this list. Splat Zones also suck here!
15. Moray Towers: Why is Nintendo bringing this back in Spla2n?! Isn't there enough evil in this world?! This is the stage that taught me to hate, just in general! It was the first stage I ever played on and I played it 11 TIMES before it decided that was enough and gave me the sweet release of Walleye Warehouse! This map is literally the camping stage, where the Chargers, Squiffers, Splatterscopes, Bamboozlers, Hydra Splatlings, Squelchers and ESPECIALLY the E-Liters come out to hone their skills and pick off slow inexperience players one by one. If not them, then Rollers will be all you see, inking up and down rampways before finally getting to the battlefield and getting sniped. Seriously, if you are a close ranged shooter and main something like the Sploosh-O-Matic like I do, don't bother. Screw this map!
16. Hammerhead Bridge: If there was ever a map that was bad in overall design, Hammerhead Bridge wins no contest. This stage sucks in almost every mode because its plethora of uninkable surfaces and grated walkways make navigating this map one of the worst things about Splatoon. Tower Control sucks. Rainmaker is impossible. Turf Wars, hope you like getting sniped! Literally this stage is only good for Splat Zones because it takes place below where there is actually turf to cover. If you see this map in any other rotation, avoid it like the plague!

Last edited:

★Forge

Senior Squid
NNID
Slumplush
I suppose categorizing a list from best to worst would be the best way to go about this:

1. Mahi-Mahi Resort: I like the design, the water changing levels of depth midway through the match, and the simplicity of "don't fall in the water", plus the overall size of it is perfect for the resort aesthetic they were going for. Overall, a pretty map to look at and an enjoyable one to play.
2. Bluefin Depot: While being not the best map for Rainmaker because of the unavoidable grates leaving the Rainmaker open to be attacked, the overall massive size of this arena makes it a very enjoyable for Turf Wars, as well as a fun map for Splat Zone. The Sprinkler is a very rude sub to use here!
3. Piranha Pit: This was originally #1, but it lost points due to it being a terrible map for Splat Zones. The problem with it for Splat Zones is both zones are too close to spawn, so once a team finally gains controls of both points, they either don't lose it or they do and no other team can regain it. Poorly designed in that aspect. However, the small yet elaborate size of this map makes it a good map for really any weapon, and it's a fun romp with a Roller because of it's many conveyor belts and wide open spaces. Beware of the mighty Seeker!
4. Camp Triggerfish: This map looks very out of place compared to the others and that's a good thing! My problem with a lot of the maps in Splatoon is they all have the same dull grey appeal to them, so it's nice to see a change in scenery. It, like Mahi-Mahi Resort, also has a transformation to it, where in the final minute of a match, the floodgates open up creating a shorter path to the enemy base and allow access to more turf. It's an interested mechanic that definitely would of benefited more of these bland looking maps.
5. Urchin Underpass: The first map revealed for Splatoon, and a generally decent one. This is definitely the map for beginners to practice getting used to Splatoon with. Works all-around with every weapon class, the overall design is simple yet elaborate and this is probably the best map to play Splat Zone on, since the zone is dead center and there are numerous ways you can claim the turf without engaging in a ton of combat.
6. Walleye Warehouse: A relatively straight-forward map designed to work for most weapon types, Walleye Warehouse is about as simple as it gets. A rectangular arena with few branching pathways, it's the perfect map for Turf Wars, Splat Zones and Rainmaker. A nightmare to play Tower Control on however, since no one ever can get the thing to move past the middle, which this map loses points on, as well as lacking in visual appeal and having a very annoying uninkable ramp that has ruined many a Rainmaker run.
7. Flounder Heights: A large map with a lot of flanking points, hope you like a good Turf War fight my friends, because Flounder Heights delivers! Sloshers and snipers attack from above, while rollers, shooters and brushes battle below. This map is the definition of hectic, especially on a mode like Rainmaker or Tower Control. Honestly though, this is probably the worst map for Rainmaker, because once it gets on one end of the battlefield, it usually doesn't leave that end ever. A similar problem to Piranha Pit's Splat Zone actually. Best of luck out there new players, this map is a rude one!
8. Kelp Dome: Speaking of rude map design, Kelp Dome is a Slosher's and Brushes proving ground! A large map to say the least, Kelp Dome offers three methods of attack and I kinda hate all of them! You can attack from the ground floor, trying to ink the turf as you go, go above the battlefield and get the drop on your opponents or sneak out the back straight into enemy territory. No matter what way you look at it, death comes from above and below!
9. Arowana Mall: I WANT to like this map. I think it's a neat design and is fun to play Turf Wars on as a Slosher, but MAN IS THE TOWER CONTROL HERE RUDE!! Not only does it take place on a vertical plain, leaving you open to snipers and blasters alike, but it seems to constantly always be on the Tower Control map rotation and not much else.
10. Musuem d'Alfosino: I have the same problem with this stage as I did Arowana Mall. Reason it's lower is I don't care for its barely present gimmick of rotating platforms, nor do I care for the stage itself. It's OK for Splat Zones though if that holds any value to anybody.
11. Ancho-V Games: For being the last map added to Splatoon, it's sucks that it's so bland to play on. The gimmick here is the propeller platforms from Octo Valley, a gimmick which acted more as an annoyance than it was actually interesting. I mean, Splat Zones and Turf Wars are decent enough here, but on a mode like Rainmaker, this mechanic makes the stage suffer a bit. Overall though, I generally just don't like this map.
12. Saltspray Rig: Reason this is so low is because I don't like how about 30% of the total map coverage is the top area. It almost makes focusing on the remainder of the map pointless to ink and turn a game of ink the most turf to win into get here before the other team or your screwed!
13. Port Mackerel: If Kelp Dome is a haven for Sloshers and Brushes, then Port Mackerel is where the Seekers shines overall. Your gonna see a lot of Carbon Roller Deco players here. This isn't why this stage is so low on the list though. It's size is laughable. Definitely one of the worst maps overall for turf coverage and Turf Wars, not to mention home to many close up battles in narrow corridors. Rainmaker is a nightmare here!
14. Blackbelly Skatepark: DO NOT USE ROLLERS ON THIS MAP!!! It's design as a skatepark means that will not work if you are a roller main. Honestly, this map was designed to be difficult to traverse in map alone. That alone puts it low on this list. Splat Zones also suck here!
15. Moray Towers: Why is Nintendo bringing this back in Spla2n?! Isn't there enough evil in this world?! This is the stage that taught me to hate, just in general! It was the first stage I ever played on and I played it 11 TIMES before it decided that was enough and gave me the sweet release of Walleye Warehouse! This map is literally the camping stage, where the Chargers, Squiffers, Splatterscopes, Bamboozlers, Hydra Splatlings, Squelchers and ESPECIALLY the E-Liters come out to hone their skills and pick off slow inexperience players one by one. If not them, then Rollers will be all you see, inking up and down rampways before finally getting to the battlefield and getting sniped. Seriously, if you are a close ranged shooter and main something like the Sploosh-O-Matic like I do, don't bother. Screw this map!
16. Hammerhead Bridge: If there was ever a map that was bad in overall design, Hammerhead Bridge wins no contest. This stage sucks in almost every mode because its plethora of uninkable surfaces and grated walkways make navigating this map one of the worst things about Splatoon. Tower Control sucks. Rainmaker is impossible. Turf Wars, hope you like getting sniped! Literally this stage is only good for Splat Zones because it takes place below where there is actually turf to cover. If you see this map in any other rotation, avoid it like the plague!

Finally Someone else hates hammerhead Bridge as much as me! :)

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
plz do a weapon rating opinion
Never. I, like most people here hate most of them because our views on what weapons are good are biased based on our preferences. I like close ranged weapons and am trash at long ranged weapons. Therefore, things like the Chargers or E-Liters are literal garbage! Just check my weapon mains!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom